Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

NEVER use Gamestop

Comments

• Options
    NicoleRaye10NicoleRaye10 Posts: 77
    edited November 2012
    I worked at GameStop for 4 years and I agree that it's just the sales associate you dealt with. However, I never shop at GameStop since I stopped working there because I feel it's all a big scam to be honest.
  • Options
    lizbethbearlizbethbear Posts: 3,201 Member
    edited November 2012
    hunt2013 wrote:
    To the people telling me to tell the manager. She was right next to him handing out Black OPs games left and right.

How dare they not know that Sims 3 Seasons is more cool.

but did you actually talk to her??? Just because she was standing next to him handing out Black Ops games left and right does not mean she was paying attention to your conversation. You need to learn to speak up for yourself.
    WznfzGr.gif
  • Options
    Samcharles74Samcharles74 Posts: 257 Member
    edited November 2012
    Agree with others have said. I have been lucky enough to go to Gamestops near me with very nice, helpful sales people.
    If this happens to you again ask for the manager, if the manager gives you attitude as well you could probably keep going up the management chain. Gamestop as a whole wants to make you a happy customer and would likely do something about it.
  • Options
    DruscyllaDruscylla Posts: 2,532 Member
    edited November 2012
    lisamwitt wrote:
    I agree, it's not a Gamestop thing it's a crappy sales associate thing. And you should go to their website, find the comment email, and send them a nastygram with the address of the store and person's name. We've always had great service at the Gamestop we go to.

Purple, may I ask why you think they are a terrible company?

The "there was a rude employee" is pretty common complaint from gamestop, if you do buy something from them they try to force other games/pre-orders on you. I also don't agree with the whole lets take the game out of the packaging and keep it in a sleeve behind the counter, umm no that considered a used game cause guess what if you the customer did that same thing bought a brand new sealed package from then and opened it right in front of them never touching the disk they would consider it used and not even give you half the price back for it (since they buy back games). Gamestop is also always getting themselves in a bad PR spot (deus ex for example). Gamestop employees are also known for forcing their opinion on the customers. I don't need their opinion on what console I play or what they think of the game shut and sell me the game if I wanted their opinion I would ask for it.
    :( I feel bad that you all have had such awful experiences. The people at my favorite Gamestop are severely cool. They love games and love to talk about games but they never push anything on me. They occasionally ask me if I'd like to preorder something or remind me of a preorder but they aren't pushy. One time I went in there was a woman with a toddler and she allowed her kid to knock over a bunch of games on display and she just left. I went over and put the games back and the manager noticed and gave me a 35% discount for being a good Samaritan. And the only games not in their packages are the displays and the used games at mine - they keep factory sealed new copies in a locking glass cabinet behind the register or in the locked drawers. Today was extremely hectic for them and they still managed to be polite and joking about the influx of people.

But if you get a rude associate, speak up. Assert yourself - if you are in the right, make your voice heard. If you are in the wrong, fess up and move on. Sometimes when I get really rude sales associates or customer service people, I try to be extra nice. Maybe the person isn't being rude on purpose. Maybe they had a terrible day. Two wrongs don't make a right. Be extra nice and just maybe the person will be nicer. And if they aren't, you still score karma points for being cool. *Plays Float On by Modest Mouse*

"And we'll all float on alright
    Already we'll all float on
    Alright don't worry even if things end up a bit to heavy
    We'll all float on alright"
    meow_zpsa650c518.gif
  • Options
    GillieGillie Posts: 1,708 Member
    edited November 2012
    I had boycotted GameStop for many years until last December when they had a game I wanted on sale. I was totally unaware they had developed a practice of gutting their games so they sold me a not-so new copy. And then they had the nerve to try and up-sell me some stupid protection thing if the disc didn't work? Call me old-fashioned but I like my brand new games to be factory sealed and not tampered with.

Anyways, the guys were super nice despite their shady business model. I'm sorry you had a bad experience but my only solution would be to shop somewhere else or file a complaint against that particular employee. It's the holiday season and they'll hire a bunch of new seasonal workers anyways.
  • Options
    CatalinaDispuchiCatalinaDispuchi Posts: 171 Member
    edited November 2012
    I just got my game in the mail 2 hours earlier then expected and I preordered from Gamestop online and used the overnight shipping. So...no problems here. I figured my gamestop would be crowded thats why I didn't go in person for pickup.
  • Options
    MoodbeamyMoodbeamy Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited November 2012
    If you want to really make a difference take the guy's name and write a letter of complaint to the manager and one to their head office. It CAN'T be ignored by the manager but he may not pass it further.

EDIT: Had you already paid? Because if you hadn't I would have told him to cancel the order. And if you had, I would have asked for a refund and gone elsewhere. That would really have made him realise how he spoke to you was wrong.
    tFU6JMe.png
  • Options
    Fullmetal1890PFullmetal1890P Posts: 708 Member
    edited November 2012
    Bonnie1209 wrote:
    I just picked mine up from GameStop with no problems at all. Sorry you're having trouble.

Ditto. I just walked in, asked if they had TS3 Seasons and I got the Limited Edition without having to pre-order at all. :)
  • Options
    darkraevendarkraeven Posts: 150 New Member
    edited November 2012
    Should of refuse to move and demanded he serve you your game and if he didnt just stand there and start yelling and make ya self notice so much until the manager or who ever comes to see whats going on. And tell them all else fail get a refund and leave put some words like thief and some swear words.... Always works for me. ^^
  • Options
    DerotisDerotis Posts: 162 New Member
    edited November 2012
    I have never had any problems with Gamestop.

Infact, I went to the midnight release at mine last night... and the one cashier lady let me jump ahead of the line because everyone else was waiting for Black Ops while I just wanted my Sims.
  • Options
    shnewbe08shnewbe08 Posts: 105 Member
    edited November 2012
    Definitely not a GameStop problem, it's just the guys problem. You should have asked to speak to the manager.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    darkraeven wrote:
    Should of refuse to move and demanded he serve you your game and if he didnt just stand there and start yelling and make ya self notice so much until the manager or who ever comes to see whats going on. And tell them all else fail get a refund and leave put some words like thief and some swear words.... Always works for me. ^^

See, this is the reason why I stopped working in customer service. The employee may have been a ********* but a customer should not throw a tantrum like a baby to get what they want. It pays to be civil and get your point across in a professional manner.
  • Options
    victorlatortvictorlatort Posts: 116
    edited November 2012
    I got mines from gamestop
    I didnt pre order and I got the limited edition anyways
    I guess it depend on the people doing there jobs
    Because I got mines right when the doors open
  • Options
    MGSFan612MGSFan612 Posts: 3,429 Member
    edited November 2012
    Uh.. so because one guy was a **** you say we should never use Gamestop? :roll:
    One employee/store does not reflect the entire company.

I have never had an issue with pre-orders of any game from Gamestop. I got even got Pets at midnight during a midnight launch for another game. I have had nothing but positive experiences with them so I'll continue to use them.
  • Options
    Kail16Kail16 Posts: 3,051 Member
    edited November 2012
    Okay I think you need to chill just a little bit. I buy all of my games from gamestop, but that's not why I think you took it a little hard.

It's not his fault that it wasn't in the system yet

It takes more than 5 seconds to put a game in the system and that's why he wanted you to get back in line so that everyone else what was in 8 people you said, wouldn't be waiting for him to personally put what you wanted to be in the system at your best convenience, that would have been rude to everyone else.

You could have went and got a pretzel or something and came back. It was unreasonable of you to complain about having to wait, that's most likely why the guy got snippy with you.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,972 Member
    edited November 2012
    Kail16 wrote:
    Okay I think you need to chill just a little bit. I buy all of my games from gamestop, but that's not why I think you took it a little hard.

It's not his fault that it wasn't in the system yet

It takes more than 5 seconds to put a game in the system and that's why he wanted you to get back in line so that everyone else what was in 8 people you said, wouldn't be waiting for him to personally put what you wanted to be in the system at your best convenience, that would have been rude to everyone else.

You could have went and got a pretzel or something and came back. It was unreasonable of you to complain about having to wait, that's most likely why the guy got snippy with you.

It goes both ways the clerk still should have been more civil about it being what one sees and hears creates a lasting impression on potential customers. I was a salesperson once and how one handles customers can mean a loss in a sale or a gain and if one customer spreads by word of mouth that he or she was treated rudely or very well again sales can go down and it can go up.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    hunt2013hunt2013 Posts: 96
    edited November 2012
    Just got the game. Went back in and there was NO ONE in line and he was joking with a coworker and I asked if had put it in the system yet for me to pick up and he said no he hasnt had time there were so many people there earlier he was to tired to do it now and told me to come back at 4:00

I told him no and asked to speak with the manager and at that time she pops in from the back room and started yelling saying that I should be taken care of not mistreated like this.

I know this manager were friends.

So he goes to the back gets a very small box of Sims 3 seasons games and puts it the system in no more than 25 seconds and hands it to me and the receipt and I leave.

Didnt even look and when I had opened the case it was,
    "The Sims 3 + Seasons" Not even gonna call up there and tell them this.
  • Options
    crashspike22crashspike22 Posts: 14 New Member
    edited November 2012
    Yeah I rarely go to Gamestop to pick up my Sims games. Most of the stores in my area don't even sell pc games anymore. So I just go to Target and save myself the trouble.

Anyway sorry that you had to deal with that.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    When a manager needs to discipline an employee, they do it confidentially and not in front of customers. That's unprofessional and bad business. But luckily that ****** got what was coming then, huh.

I'm glad it worked out for you and that you came out ahead with an extra copy of the base game.
  • Options
    CatatonicrazekCatatonicrazek Posts: 78 Member
    edited November 2012
    I understand your pain. When Supernatural came out, my pre-order had been sold to someone else. The only reason i pre-ordered seasons from there is that my gamestop was really good about finding me a copy of Supernatural and even giving me a discount. Hopefully, Seasons be there today when i go get it after my moms appt. If not, i won't be as mad, but i'll be miffed as i have paid in full, but i likely wont pre-order from there anymore even if i get a discount. One time i can deal with, twice, no way.
  • Options
    ClemintineClemintine Posts: 106
    edited November 2012
    I worked at a Gamestop so let me explain some things.

1. Pushing Games/Preorders on people - We (associates) were reguired to ask about other games/preorders. We would be reprimanded if we did not. Why? Studies show that asking drives up sales. Many stores do this type of thing. Big box stores typically do not because of their format.

2. Open games - Gamestop is not given empty boxes to display. Instead they HAVE to open a game in order to keep a box on the shelf. Why not display the game in the unopened box? Theft. There is A LOT of theft at Gamestop. People would steal the EMPTY boxes. HOWEVER you only get an open box if there are NO other unopened games in stock. THE GAMES HAVE NEVER BEEN PLAYED. This is different from used which has been OWNED by someone and PLAYED.

3. Many people come in to the stores expecting conversations on games and consoles. And again, people who are engaged by associates are more likely to buy.

Gamestop may have some issues but I wonder if you are expecting too much from a store that is in a very tight spot money wise. More and more people are buying online or downloading. Which means Gamestop isn't making much.

Also; Gamestop actually gives some of the best prices on used games. Unless you want to sell the game yourself to someone Gamestop is probably going to give you the most money for your game.

I no longer work at Gamestop, but I still shop there.
  • Options
    anmllvr234anmllvr234 Posts: 577
    edited November 2012
    purchased the game from them. they were polite so maybe you had a bad experience.
  • Options
    JaxxYChicKJaxxYChicK Posts: 37 Member
    edited November 2012
    Niamh414 wrote:
    I've had a similar problem, I usually pre-order from my local Gamestop (I live in Ireland), and they're usually really really organised... like I usually pre-order with them 2-3 months in advance (I'm really forgetful :P), and there's a fellow simmer employee in there who I have great chats with over the future of the Sims etc.

So I went there last Saturday to attempt to pre-order for the 3RD time, and I got the same reply: it wasn't on the system yet (I got this reply 3 monts ago as well). I really want the limited edition, and I have no idea what to do, as I can't go to another gamestop, and my sister who I share the Sims with, wants a physical copy of it. Really surprised about this, since it is basically the most hotly anticipated expansion pack!!! :-(

*Edit: I emailed them yesterday, and I've gotten no reply back :cry:

Hi Niamh!

I'm in Ireland too and never bother to pre-order any Sims EPs from Gamestop. I just go in on the day and they always have plenty of the Limited Edition stuff available without having to pre-order. Actually the only time I didn't get an EP on the release day was for Showtime (wasn't all that bothered with it) and bought it about a month later. The staff member who served me automatically handed me the Limited Edition version. :D

I don't know what your local Gamestop is but I'm in Dublin and I use the store on Henry St.
  • Options
    SidSid3SidSid3 Posts: 636 Member
    edited November 2012
    lol I have no problem with Game Stop. I just stopped by at midnight and was like "Do you have Sims 3 Seasons?" and they were like "Yup!" and I purchased it right then and there :lol: I hate waiting for games to ship, so I don't :wink:
  • Options
    CimaraNyx1CimaraNyx1 Posts: 469
    edited November 2012
    I pre-ordered from Game Stop ages ago, when Seasons was first announced. The manager there invited me to the CoD, BO2 midnight party they were having and told me my Seasons disk would be ready and waiting for me. I got a recorded phone call telling me to pick it up after they open on the 13th, but I called them right back to make sure I could still go to the party and get it at midnight. She told me I could.

Last night, I went to Game Stop along with 250 of my closest friends (pun) and they put me in Group No. 1 so I could get in and out, since I wasn't there for Black Ops 2. They had pizza, large screen TV's set up for playing Black Ops, if anyone wanted to and many did, and they had a raffle. This was all taken care of by 3 employees, (1 manager, 2 cashiers). Everything was well planned and handled professionally. At midnight, we were allowed back in to the store by groups.

I was in and out with my disk in less than two minutes past midnight. No problems, friendly staff, professionally done. The OP just got a bad employee...not Game Stop's fault. People, not the company, are to blame.