The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Sims and Friends: Share Your Stories!!

Comments

• Options
    Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    Thanks for the tutorial, @ValoisFulcanelli! I still feel old, but maybe that will change lol. I actually have a Tumblr account! I originally started my legacy there because I had heard a lot of Simmers posting things on there despite the fact that I was already used to WP. I stopped writing on there when I lost my original legacy save and went back to WP, but I used the publicize option to send all updates to Tumblr for the readers I had there. I’ll have to log in there and see about this plugin you speak of…and see if I feel less old lol. :p
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
  • Options
    lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member
    @BabyDollAnne ... I try to follow some on tumblr (Budgie to Budgie or Inabadromance or lovenovavita) but it is not easy to navigate for sure!! I agree @Jes2G make me feel 100 years old LOL
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    mastressalitamastressalita Posts: 2,874 Member
    Sorry, short replies because I'm working this Saturday (and stuck at work instead of home on my lunch break because of a stupid event going on near the library, making traffic/parking today impossible... typing on my tablet is not my favorite, so bear with. I, too, am old!)

@ValoisFulcanelli : Hahaha, yes, I'm doing one photo submission per submittee, but you are free to stick as many LGBTQQIAAP folks on it as you'd like if you wish. And I'm really fine with anything that isn't past PG-13 (snogging is fine!) I don't really care if it goes out to Tumblr, but I am not active on my own Tumblr account (I use it only to follow stories registered with the S&LI) and I don't really want everyone posting their images up, I'm trying to collect the data "behind the scenes" to create more of a surprise element when the Pride post goes up. Forum members can easily PM me, but folks not from the forums would need to e-mail me. Obviously I didn't post my e-mail directly on my initial requet here in the forums because of TOS, I just supplied the link to my Wordpress where that data could be obtained (because forum TOS doesn't apply on my personal blog). After I'm off of work I'll make the same request post out on my Wordpress, with my e-mail properly listed, clarifying a few of the things I've gotten questions about from folks on the forums, and then you can freely highlight that Wordpress post. I have a feeling after my request posts get buried here on the forums submissions are going to drop like a rock anyway, so that might help bring stuff in throughout the month. ^_^

@BabyDollAnne : I have several Tumblr stories registered with the Stories and Legacies Index. I pretty much had to optimize my dashboard using tons of XKit extentions to filter to get just the content I want -- I don't like getting cc, reblogs, posts about the weather and school, I just want stories. So I'll admit, it isn't my favorite format for SimLit... but I don't avoid it either. I admittedly will rarely comment and such on it cause it feels very odd to me compared to Blogger and Wordpress. I just barely learned about the Like button on there. (Basically, I do read on it, but admittedly am more of a 'lurker reader" on it).
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    Check out my Simlit at Sim Stories: Hijinks from the World of Sims 3!
    My Simlit Discussion/Updates | The Fringe | Short Story Challenges
  • Options
    I made a new Tumblr and give this thing a shot and see how I do. At the very least, I’ll just publicize my stories from WP there like I did before.
    http://storiesbyjes2g.tumblr.com
    forum_final.png

• Options
    ValoisFulcanelliValoisFulcanelli Posts: 672 Member
    edited June 2016
    @mastressalita I'll be good and only put one couple in the shot. The main reason being: if I try to do a group shot, I'll end up building a set for it, and I can't just 'build a set'; I'll end up building an entire flippin' location! :mrgreen:

I'll hang fire on publicising on Tumblr, then, until you've made your blog post, then I'll link to that. I'm followed by a few old forum regulars who no longer come here, so it would be nice to reach out to them and have them participate.

And, as an aside to you personally, since you love cats and books you might want to take a gander at my Tumblr today. Just scroll past the two most recent 'character asks' posts to get to the books/cat goodies. I've been working on the bookshop that my bookseller version of Valois owns (and lives above). If/when you read my story, you'll meet him there, but he's also a character in his own right elsewhere. I've been posting a lot of screenshots of him with his little calico kitty, Hector, and also of his bookshop and the apartments above.

Just stop scrolling once you get to my 'Character questions: asks are open!' post if you're in a public place, because immediately below that is a NSFW screenshot ;)
    tfb.jpg
  • Options
    SilentWolf101SilentWolf101 Posts: 3,898 Member
    Hey guys! I've only got a few replies to what stuck out to me, but... I've got some big news! Take it as you will, but... I'm moving to a new site (again). I just really wanted an entire site-modification and felt like there was too much to change to stick with Sims 3 Stories 2.0, so now I'm in the process of moving everything over to Sims 3 Stories 3.0! ^-^

@mastressalita Hehe, some may not believe this, but I'm actually bise*ual, and not afraid to admit it. And I find gay couples absolutely adorable! So... I'm totally in! ^0^
    @thesealofthesims Thank you! ^-^ It's been fixed (had to take one mod out, sadly), but I'm at my grandpa's and can't really do anything at the moment... Lol. But I did find a mod that adds in owls and baby owls, and now I'm really excited about that!
    @BabyDollAnne Though I don't currently read simlit on tumblr, I'd be willing too if it's good simlit. I've finally got a tumblr (I'm a teen, but the only real social media I use is facebook. XD).
    ~Open your mind before your mouth~
    Yes, I'm still working on my stories. But I am restarting them (again). Links will come when they're up. :)
    Come Join The Mafia! | Monthly Simlit Story Challenges
  • Options
    @ValoisFulcanelli : Waaaaaaaaaaaaa, that bookstore is amazing! You are right, there are few things I enjoy more than books and cats. You know my weaknesses so well!

Also, I now have a Wordpress blog post announcement for Sims Pride! So you guys can feel free to spread that around as much as you want. Those that have Wordpress can feel free to hit the Reblog button if you want to reach it out to your readers, and getting the word out anywhere else is appreciated... let's create an awesome Sims Pride together! <3
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
  • Options
    FayeShinomoriFayeShinomori Posts: 3,523 Member
    @thesealofthesims: It's not that I don't like kids, but I get irritated very easily because of me always being so anxious and edgy and in pain everyday. Plus, I think it's not polite to let your kids play with a toy that loud and not apologize for it disturbing the other people in the waiting room. Then again, the kind of people that end up in this place tend to lack manners big time, so I can't set the bar too high ha ha. Like I said, I like kids, but I can't really talk to them. I never know how to talk to them, and I always struggle with thinking of what to say to them because I don't want them to feel offended by me talking to them like they're babies but at the same time still managing to get a normal conversation going and ease into it. I'm just socially awkward by nature. It's pretty much why I have no friends.

In Sim news, the twins have grown up and boy are they cute! I just love Khuriban!
  • Options
    Good morning! Happy Sunday.

Another Keeping Up With the Joneses chapter today. Lester, like his mother, is seeking a place to belong. I don’t know about you, but why don’t they just try spending time together? Meh…what do I know. I just write this mess LOL. Enjoy!

http://www.jes2gstories.com/1-3-like-mother-like-son/
    forum_final.png

• Options
    My computer won't let me make poses with Blender! I just spent half an hour designing a pose in blender, then come to find out, it won't let me export as an animation like I need it to! And I really, really needed this pose. V.V
    Yes, I'm still working on my stories. But I am restarting them (again). Links will come when they're up. :)
  • Options
    FayeShinomoriFayeShinomori Posts: 3,523 Member
    It has certainly been a busy few days for Thunupa and his wife Samia! They now have five children, eldest daughter Saga, twins Neaera and her twin brother Khuriban, young daughter Herse, and they have just welcomed their fifth and final child into the world, a son they have named Hayk, who was the Armenian sky god and may have also been the god of wine and vegetables, and was also a cultural hero in Armenian mythology. I finally have pictures of all of the children except Hayk since he was just born, so I will put them here now:
    Here is Neaera: Neaera%20Nolan_zpsvsjxuaqr.png

Her twin brother, Khuriban: Khuriban_zpsdlts0ipm.png

And their baby sister Herse: Herse%20Nolan_zpspqaelqel.png

Poor Samia has been pregnant nonstop it seems, and now that Hayk has been born, she can finally relax! Five children is more than enough ha ha.
  • Options
    RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    Hi! I hope everyone's doing well. Here's the newest chapter to The Chrysanthemum Tango.

Chapter 13: Garden Retreat
    CtwGYeE.jpg

It’s not just Amelia who sometimes needs a break to think about things. This time it’s Tad’s turn. But perhaps his approach to it isn’t the best. At least it makes Amelia very worried.

I hope you enjoy!
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    @FayeShinomori They are certainly beautiful children! Personally, I really like Khuriban!

Now, for the big news: I've got my new site finally updated! I've restarted the stories on my old site to better fit my view for them, but... Yeah. Also, I now have an update thread for the site! The Update Thread. I'm actually rather excited for this. ^-^

EDIT: Also, the link to the site is on the thread...
  • Options
    msbeckycatmsbeckycat Posts: 3,445 Member
    Might be a dumb question but how would you like gen 2 chapters written? I was thinking a dear diary through Eve's eyes
  • Options
    msbeckycat wrote: »
    Might be a dumb question but how would you like gen 2 chapters written? I was thinking a dear diary through Eve's eyes

Personally, I think that any way works. I'm more fond of the narrator interacting with the characters style, but a diary is also great! Keep in mind that each way has challenges -- the diary is presented through the character's eyes, not the author's. The idea I like doesn't show everything going on with everybody, or else it could be a bit too crowded, but it does allow for more POV than other characters.

Either way, do what you feel like doing. ^-^
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    msbeckycat wrote: »

Personally, I think that any way works. I'm more fond of the narrator interacting with the characters style, but a diary is also great! Keep in mind that each way has challenges -- the diary is presented through the character's eyes, not the author's. The idea I like doesn't show everything going on with everybody, or else it could be a bit too crowded, but it does allow for more POV than other characters.

Either way, do what you feel like doing. ^-^

I just don't want to bore the reader
  • Options
    I don't think that you could bore the reader unless what's contained in your writing is boring. The way you write it is rarely ever boring.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I don't think that you could bore the reader unless what's contained in your writing is boring. The way you write it is rarely ever boring.
    Hmm, I'm going to respectfully disagree with that point (as long as it was a generic "the way you write it" and not specific to @msbeckycat whose writing I have not read and therefore can't comment on).

I've seen Sims authors turning what could have been an interesting story into a simple list of traits and daily 'level up' achievements. Contrast this:
    Today I cooked horrible quality pancakes for breakfast and normal quality goopy carbonara for dinner and I reached level 2 cooking before I went to bed.
    - with this:
    Lord knows, I'm a lousy cook, but the apple pancakes I made for breakfast this morning were so bad that even the birds wouldn't touch them after I'd hurled them out the kitchen window! Tonight's goopy carbonara went a little better, thanks to Mom's detailed recipe ('cause she knows me and my culinary abilities - or lack thereof - only too well!) and I went to bed full and happy, with a new-found determination to master those dang pancakes in the morning.
    What is contained in the writing is pretty boring: it's a laundry list of what was cooked that day and the quality of the food. But, in the second example, it becomes an entertaining and self-deprecating look at culinary disasters, while at the same time offering a bit of backstory and insight into the character's family.

Likewise, the dreaded 'trait-filled' introduction. Contrast again:
    My name is [Name] and my traits are handy, green thumb, heavy sleeper [ ... ] my favourite colour is red and my favourite music is Indie. I like autumn salad.
    - with this:
    You'd think that, with all the salad I eat, I'd be skinny as a rake, but that's not the way things go with me. Mainly because I drench my salad in dressing, but that's the way I like it. Mom calls me 'plush' and I'll stick with that, thanks. I get my green thumb from my dad, mainly because I used to love helping him out in the garden - especially at strawberry-picking time! - although I can't cook for the life of me. Oh well, that's what takeouts are for, right? Um, well, in between the salads, anyway. *ahem* And no, I'm not lazy! I just enjoy a long morning under my favourite red quilt with my favourite indie bands blasting from the stereo sometimes. Okay, a lot of the time, but there's people out there lazier than me! At least if you stick a spanner in my hand, I can actually do something with it! (Blame Mom for that one. After Dad left she had to take over doing all the DIY in the house, and she made darn sure I wouldn't need a man to fix my broken shower!)
    Okay, that's long-winded and I'm pushing it a bit to get everything in, whereas normally you would introduce all of those little tidbits throughout the first chapter of a story (info-dumping = not a good idea!) but the point is that it's very possible to make something boring look interesting. Likewise, it's possible to make something interesting look boring.

The key is to treat it as an entertaining little tale that someone else is telling you, especially if you're writing in first-person as your Sim. If you were sitting in a pub garden on a summer afternoon, enjoying a couple of drinks with the new person who just moved into town, and they were telling you how they arrived here and a little bit about them, they would talk in a conversational manner rather than giving you a list of things.
    tfb.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    @everyone Hope you're all having a great week. I've not been feeling all that great for the past few days, so I've been less active than usual on Tumblr and in my Sims game (I've been mining and farming and killing monsters in Stardew Valley instead, for the most part) but I did log into TS3 to do a fun little scene for Valois and Gunther, which you can find here. It's really short and - if you know Valois - it's very out-of-character for him, but funny at the same time (which shows how much he's relaxing around Gunther these days).

As part of that little scene, I also played with the Genie life state for the first time, and I managed to create a gorgeous male djinn (who, poor guy, doesn't even have a name, other than Blue Djinn). Thought I'd share him here. I played around with the alien eyes sliders as well as the other eye sliders, and I changed his nose a lot. I wanted him to look a little bit other-worldly.

djinn_comp.jpg

In other news, I've been nominated for the Spirit Animal Award (which I'd not even heard of until recently) but I've held back on writing my reply until I feel a bit better, since I wanted to be firing on all cylinders when I do that. And, finally, I'll post about your Pride blog post in the next couple of days, @mastressalita. I've not done so yet, because a rather unpleasant row erupted about the new non-gender-specific patch for TS4 (if you missed that row, be glad that you did; it got very ugly, and I stayed well out of it) and I thought it best to wait a few days before mentioning the Sim Pride thing.

And now I have to get ready for work, while it's sunny and gorgeous outside. Bleh. :mrgreen:
    tfb.jpg
  • Options
    Just posted gen 2s first post
  • Options
    Good morning!

Lester and Tim Jones meet for the first time! How did it go? Enjoy.

http://www.jes2gstories.com/joneses-1-5-playmates/
    forum_final.png

• Options
    Congrats on your spirit award, @ValoisFulcanelli! And that was some good advice earlier about making boring stuff not boring. I try to write like that as much as I can.
    forum_final.png

• Options
    @ValoisFulcanelli : Ya, like I said, I'm not really "on Tumblr", I am only subscribed to those stories posted on there that are registered with the S&LI and then I have my Dash modded out heavily so I'll only get the story posts and nothing else, so I stay out of drama (can't say I regret dodging such a bullet, as that's the first thing to come along for TS4 to really make me want it despite my dislike of Origin, since TS3 doesn't have that option). I'm already seeing forum submissions dropping pretty heavily, no doubt since my initial push in WL has been buried. I might have to resort to PMing a few folks, heh. It seems even tagging on here can be sketchy sometimes to get news to folks. I have a nice little collection of submissions, but am still hoping for some more before the 19th. ^_^ There is still quite a bit of time, so don't worry about it too much!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
  • Options
    I AM SOOOO excited .. I have been working on my first simlit short story ... and I just bounced it off my (rather cynical) daughter and she admitted it "gave her a lump in her throat" (and that was WITHOUT the screenies) .. SUCCESS!!! Publishing prob later tonight .. I have to resize and do some cropping yet :)
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    My first simlit short story .. I am sooo excited. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it!!

https://lisabeesims.wordpress.com/2016/06/08/the-chair/

[img][/img]promo_zpsce1i1pqj.png
    Post edited by lisabee2 on
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger