Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to install Windows using Boot Camp - step by step instructions with screenshots.

Comments

• Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited December 2012
    SndDrln419 wrote:
    Would Windows 8 work?

As stated on the last couple of pages, Apple don't support WIndows 8 yet so your best bet is Windows 7.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    madstitcher101madstitcher101 Posts: 685 Member
    edited December 2012
    I had to remove the bootcamp and redo it again, mainly because a message kept coming up to say my copy of windows 7 was not authentic. So I got an authentic disk and did it again. The problem I have at the moment is I am unable to connect to the network at all. Last time this never happened. Any ideas anyone? I can't install my sims games yet because it can't download the updates.

Have you installed the support software? Maybe the wireless card driver hasn't installed?

Do you have the link for it and I will try it again.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    You're better off opening Boot Camp and re-downloading it through there:

2.png
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    You're better off opening Boot Camp and re-downloading it through there:

2.png

I tried that and it still isn't working. :cry:
  • Options
    BatshebaBatsheba Posts: 44 Member
    edited December 2012
    Hi,

I have a question. I've successfully installed windows via boot camp now I'm just wondering how do I get my saved games over to the windows partition? It's possible isn't it? DL store content and other CC can that be moved as well or do I need to re-DL that?
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    @madstitcher101 - so you redownloaded the drivers, started up in Windows and ran the .exe file again? I've no idea then, sorry :( Weird that you've got rid of the partition, redid it and it still isn't working. Can you get to an Apple store? Maybe worth them checking over your Mac if you've re-Boot Camped a couple of times and the problem is still the wireless card.

@Batsheba - In Windows go to My Computer (I think it's called) and you can see your Mac HD. Navigate to your TS3 folder in your Documents and copy it over to Windows. I don't know if you can replace the folder that Windows creates when you installed TS3 on that side but you can access your Mac files that way, and definitely copy over your store stuff.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Thanks Bluebellflora, you're a lifesaver :-)
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    You're welcome :)
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Everything ok now. Managed to sort it out and it's working. :D
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    So, I have a problem. My saved games doesn't work after I moved them to the boot camp partition. I place them in the new "the sims 3" folder in the EA folder. I can see it's in the game but it's sort of greyed out and when I hover over it it says the game can't be loaded because it was created with expansions no longer present, or something like it, but as far as I can see all my EP's and SP's are installed and showing as installed in the launcher. The latest patch shows as 1.42. Is that not the way? Or should I just put in the whole sims 3 folder?
  • Options
    dizzydeedizzydee Posts: 1,269 Member
    edited December 2012
    alync wrote:
    This is going to be a stupid question, but I'm going to ask anyway. A good chunk of my games are digital downloads from amazon and are mac based. I'm guessing that boot camp won't help me because I don't have a mac/win disk for all my EPs, correct?

I haven't gone the Win 7 route (yet), but my understanding is that you download "Origins" from the EA Origin store and then you can download any game you own - after you've registered them - no matter where you bought them. Hope this is correct. If not, please, someone, correct me.
  • Options
    slparsonsslparsons Posts: 57 New Member
    edited December 2012
    @Dizzydee & alync, that is correct. I was worried about this also because I wasn't able to find a couple of my expansions. However, I downloaded Origin from the EA website and all my games were listed, I just downloaded them all and my game works fine.
  • Options
    ashjack20ashjack20 Posts: 163 Member
    edited December 2012
    Bumping up to the front page. Someone may need these instructions...
  • Options
    dizzydeedizzydee Posts: 1,269 Member
    edited January 2013
    Sad, sad, sad. I finally installed Win 7 on my 2009 27" iMac and all my Sims 3 problems disappeared. Pets are fluffy. CAS works without crashing the game. Seasons are delightful. It's horrible. My Grandkids created a "massively malevolent" family of witches and spent hours trying to poison the entire population of Twinbrook without a single problem.

If you're having problems, I recommend this route. Make sure you go to Apple's support site and read/download all the most recent files that are relevant to your set up. Our only complaint (Other than Windows - ugh.) is that the Apple Trackpad and Mouse don't work quite as smoothly on the Windows side as they do on the Mac side - but this just takes a bit of getting used to. Once your in the game you can't tell the difference. Except that it works.

I can't believe that I've spent hours and hours going through these forums, contacting tech support and listening to their unbelievable suggestions only to find that it's nothing to do with my Mac's specs, nothing to do with Apple it's that TansGaming Inc.'s emulator truly, truly, truly (insert very bad words of your choice).
  • Options
    missusjacksparrowmissusjacksparrow Posts: 18
    edited January 2013
    dizzydee wrote:
    My Grandkids created a "massively malevolent" family of witches and spent hours trying to poison the entire population of Twinbrook without a single problem.

LOL. This is enough to make me try this! I'm afraid once I install seasons its going to destroy my game/machine from what other Mac users have been saying, so I may as well invest in a copy of Windows 7. :roll:
  • Options
    miklcmiklc Posts: 3,110 Member
    edited February 2013
    I am just wondering how long should it take roughly to download the Windows Support Software? The bar has been stuck in the same place (around 20 percent) for almost half an hour, is this normal? I've already stopped it and started again because it seemed to stop in the same place the first time around, should I just leave it to do it's thing?
  • Options
    NajionNajion Posts: 16 New Member
    edited February 2013
    Just want to share that I recently migrated my game to bootcamp and the difference is amazing. The game runs beautifully. No crashes yet.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Najion wrote:
    Just want to share that I recently migrated my game to bootcamp and the difference is amazing. The game runs beautifully. No crashes yet.

That really is fantastic news! I am so excited to be able to play within Windows 7 so I can actually enjoy my game again :)

I've hit a problem when trying to install the partition (I finally got the Windows Software Support downloaded onto a CD) which seems to be quite a common problem judging by the amount of people that have posted similar questions on Google, it looks like a might have to defragment my hard drive but I haven't got a clue how to do such a thing, guess this is a good time to learn more about my Mac
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Just thought I would share a little update, before doing anytime I am backing up my entire hard drive using Time Machine and my external hard drive. This is the first time I've done it (I know I should really be doing this on a regular basis) and by the looks of it it's going to take all day!

This whole process of partitioning and reinstalling everything on the Windows side is going to take a lot longer than I had first anticipated! It's going to be a while before I even get to the partitioning, oh well hopefully it should be all worth it in the end :lol:
  • Options
    SndDrln419SndDrln419 Posts: 24 New Member
    edited February 2013
    I was just wondering if anyone knows what it would be if it was divided equally?
  • Options
    rosidbonrosidbon Posts: 184 New Member
    edited February 2013
    This appears to be the only way that Mac users are able to play.
    I think I will have to join you all as well.
  • Options
    metyouwhometyouwho Posts: 59 Member
    edited February 2013
    Thank you for all your help so far! This is going to be my weekend project. Two quick questions-

1) I'm planning on backing up my files on an external hard drive. Can I also use this for downloading the windows support software?

2) I'm just planning on having the Sims installed on Windows. When shoudl I uninstall everything from my mac? Before or after doing bootcamp?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Sorry - internet issues!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Sorry - internet issues!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Sorry - internet issues!