Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to install Windows using Boot Camp - step by step instructions with screenshots.

Comments

• MargotDarkoMargotDarko Posts: 243 New Member
    edited September 2012
    I love my iMac and Mac OS X but I am so tempted by this! I want to use mods and CC without everything freaking out. If only Windows was cheaper or at least better than it is.
  • DFGuyDFGuy Posts: 361 New Member
    edited September 2012
    I got the go ahead after deciding I could use it for school, and Best Buy was out of it, so I went to Office Max, they had it, but said there was a specific Windows 7 Disc for Mac you had to buy online. They're wrong, right? It's the same for everyone?

(I'm talking about the $199 home premium edition)
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited September 2012
    DFGuy wrote:
    I got the go ahead after deciding I could use it for school, and Best Buy was out of it, so I went to Office Max, they had it, but said there was a specific Windows 7 Disc for Mac you had to buy online. They're wrong, right? It's the same for everyone?

(I'm talking about the $199 home premium edition)

Lol! Yep, they're VERY wrong. You just need a normal retail copy of Windows 7. I bought the cheapest one which, over here, is about £100.
    apple-signature.png
  • madstitcher101madstitcher101 Posts: 685 Member
    edited September 2012
    I was lucky with mine because just recently my husband's Dell laptop had to have a new hard drive and fan and the engineer brought Windows 7 installation disk. So, I used that to install Bootcamp on my Mac which saved me a bit of money.
  • mysimBrendamysimBrenda Posts: 1,998 Member
    edited September 2012
    bump
  • Tony89Tony89 Posts: 2,196 Member
    edited November 2012
    wait confused
    do I need windows 7 for this?
    as in I have to purchase windows 7??
  • alyncalync Posts: 32
    edited November 2012
    This is going to be a stupid question, but I'm going to ask anyway. A good chunk of my games are digital downloads from amazon and are mac based. I'm guessing that boot camp won't help me because I don't have a mac/win disk for all my EPs, correct?
    edited November 2012
    @Tony89 - Yep, afraid so.

@alync - unfortunately not, unless Amazon gives you access to the Windows version too. The disc versions can be installed in both operating systems.
    apple-signature.png
  • miklcmiklc Posts: 3,110 Member
    edited November 2012
    I am planning on installing Windows on my MacBook Pro through Bootcamp sometime in the New Year as I can't afford to buy Windows at the moment with Christmas coming up, I am curious though should I buy Windows 7 or would it be better to buy Windows 8? I've seen some topics in the Technical Forum talking about problems people are having with Windows 8 and the new game but by next year I would suspect these initial problems would be ironed out, I just don't know whether it's worth getting 7 when a newer version is out? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm still using Lion at the moment I haven't got around to updating that yet, might upgrade OSX in the New Year also :)
    edited November 2012
    I know that Windows 7 works and is fully supported by Apple so I'd go with that one. It's not your main OS so save yourself a bit of money :)
    apple-signature.png
  • miklcmiklc Posts: 3,110 Member
    edited November 2012
    I know that Windows 7 works and is fully supported by Apple so I'd go with that one. It's not your main OS so save yourself a bit of money :)

Thanks for the advice, cool I guess I will just go with Windows 7 in that case I will only be using it for The Sims 3 anyway :D
    edited November 2012
    :thumbup:
    apple-signature.png
    edited November 2012
    Windows 8 was on sale at target for 70 dollars!!
    I used bootcamp and now Im using windows 8
    it's amazing
    currently installing my games
    edited November 2012
    Tony89 wrote:
    Windows 8 was on sale at target for 70 dollars!!
    I used bootcamp and now Im using windows 8
    it's amazing
    currently installing my games

Cool! And Apple have provided all the drivers? Fab :D
    apple-signature.png
    edited November 2012
    Just found this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4818#3.1

Apple aren't officially supporting Windows 8 yet but I'm sure it won't be long.

@Tony89 - let us know how you get on :)
    apple-signature.png
    edited November 2012
    ok I'll let you know
    and If all fails, I can just switch back to OS and wait until they do support 8
  • SkewedReality04SkewedReality04 Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited November 2012
    My amazing boyfriend bought me Windows 7 tonight and unjust got it installed. Now I am about to tackle installing the sims. It's sad that it had to come to this
  • animealamanimealam Posts: 5
    edited November 2012
    Thanks for the post Bluebell and Snapdragon.

It meakes things easier, and convinced me to go with Bootcamp as I was reluctant to go back to windows. Having just migrated from windows to Mac 5 months ago, I really feel like I'm going back down the ladder instead of up. I fell in love with my iMac, and regretted not switching earlier. Now I'll be back to Windows land, but I love playing TS3 (new to it too). W8 was partly why I migrated when my windows desktop died on me and I needed a new computer. I truly disliked the beta of w8.

I was not able to buy windows 7 over here. For some reason they have removed all copies from retail stores and distributors, and not even the Microsoft windows 7 website for my country is available any more. One store (Office Depot) had some but they could not sell them. So I had no choice but to go with windows 8.

As it's been said apple does not yet support windows 8 but I found an article that explained how to install w8 clearly with Bootcamp, and how to get it working.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/11/no-support-no-problem-installing-windows-8-on-a-mac-with-boot-camp/

I'm not with my Mac right now, but as soon as I get home I'll install it. If anyone is interest I'll post how it goes.
  • ariadnerentzariadnerentz Posts: 11
    edited November 2012
    I started the boot camp process a ilttle over 2 hours ago, and its been working fine.. until now. My installation froze at 57%
    I don't know what to do, Im afraid my mac will freeze or something. Should I just try and leave it over night, or do something =/
  • SimsFreak159SimsFreak159 Posts: 46 New Member
    edited November 2012
    Oh Crap I only have Windows XP Discs... Would I have to buy A higher Windows disc to support Sims or?
    edited November 2012
    @animealam - how did you get on with Windows 8?

@ariadnerentz - are you referring to your Windows installation or The Sims installation? How's it going now? If it's Windows all you need to do is boot back into OS X (turn off your Mac, hold down ALT and double click on the Macintosh HD icon), go back into Boot Camp and get rid of the Windows partition and start again:

6.png

I haven't experienced Windows crashing during an install before so it may be an idea to use Disk Utility to repair your HD and Permissions after you get rid of the partition and before you attempt to do it again.

@SimsFreak159 - The Windows OS is nothing to do with TS3 and everything to do with Boot Camp:

2.png
    apple-signature.png
  • ariadnerentzariadnerentz Posts: 11
    edited November 2012
    BluebellFlora - Thanks so much! I got my iMac working again!
    I'm just going to reinstall everything on my old PC and pray it works. God I'm fed up with EA.
  • madstitcher101madstitcher101 Posts: 685 Member
    edited December 2012
    I had to remove the bootcamp and redo it again, mainly because a message kept coming up to say my copy of windows 7 was not authentic. So I got an authentic disk and did it again. The problem I have at the moment is I am unable to connect to the network at all. Last time this never happened. Any ideas anyone? I can't install my sims games yet because it can't download the updates.

edited December 2012
    I had to remove the bootcamp and redo it again, mainly because a message kept coming up to say my copy of windows 7 was not authentic. So I got an authentic disk and did it again. The problem I have at the moment is I am unable to connect to the network at all. Last time this never happened. Any ideas anyone? I can't install my sims games yet because it can't download the updates.

Have you installed the support software? Maybe the wireless card driver hasn't installed?
    apple-signature.png
  • SndDrln419SndDrln419 Posts: 24 New Member
    edited December 2012
    Would Windows 8 work?