Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to install Windows using Boot Camp - step by step instructions with screenshots.

Comments

• eknight78eknight78 Posts: 44 New Member
    edited June 2013
    eknight78 wrote:
    Ultradave73 !!!!!

Thank you so much...

eknight78 - You are very welcome! Please let us know here things are going and if you have any ?'s - I will check the forum on and off during the weekend when I have time and try and help as best as I can. It's like family here in the "Mac" sim community! :mrgreen:

Hello There!! So it has been a few months, but I am finally ready to tackle this whole windows switch over thingy!
    I had a question though, I printed out your instructions on how to burn my Amazon downloads onto disc so that I don't have to repurchase...But was wondering....The .dmg files...there are two for each thing, for example there is Sims 3 Generations.dmg and then there is a Sims 3 Generations Downloader.dmg : Do I need to download both of those onto the same disc? or just one of them is sufficient? If just one...which one?

Also realized I can go to my Amazon.com account and see all my downloads there...I wonder if I boot up in Windows mode (once it's downloaded) Do you think I'd be able to just download them from the website into the windows side of things?

Thanks so much again in advance for all the help!!!
    :D
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited June 2013
    @eknight78 - .dmg files are the Mac equivalent of Windows .exe files so they will not open in Windows. You may find software somewhere online but I've never bothered looking.

As for your Amazon downloads, can you not just register your games on Origin using your serial numbers and download from there?
    apple-signature.png
    edited June 2013
    @eknight78 - .dmg files are the Mac equivalent of Windows .exe files so they will not open in Windows. You may find software somewhere online but I've never bothered looking.

As for your Amazon downloads, can you not just register your games on Origin using your serial numbers and download from there?

Thanks for the response @BluebellFlora! And the suggestion...I am most certainly going to try that! I do hope it works, Because otherwise the only games I have on disc are Showtime and Pets :( I am praying I won't have to buy the other 5 that I have!

So I guess what I could do is load up Windows through bootcamp....then go to the origin site from there and try to download?
    Also, was wondering if I have to uninstall all the games off of the Mac side before I install on the Windows side? I mean, just as a precaution, in case my install doesn't work? Then if it did, I could go back to Mac and uninstall everything. Does that even make sense? I am so confused!!!
    edited June 2013
    Yes, through Origin and no, of course you don't need to uninstall from the Mac side.
    apple-signature.png
  • sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    edited June 2013
    Hi :D thank you for the helpful guide! I get to the part where windows boots up and asks for my key etc, then it tells me to remove the disk and insert the partition disk (I think thats what its called- the blank one I inserted earlier)- when I restart, it brings me to the screen that says "no bootable device found" - I am using an external disk drive because my laptop doesn't have one, so the only way I can remove disks from it is to physically right click the cd icon on the screen and hit eject- which I obviously cannot do at the windows install screen. I was unable to do anything except restart the computer and open it back up in mac. If I try removing the windows disk and putting in the other one, I get a pop up saying "you've inserted a blank disk" and I cannot find how to get back to windows from there. Am I completely doomed from using it because I don't have a disk drive? I find it hard to believe Apple would do this, I will check google though..
    WLfAA9V.png
  • caspinwallcaspinwall Posts: 916 Member
    edited June 2013
    There are some pages of help on the Apple website for using Bootcamp on Macbook Air (which is what I think you said you had):

http://www.apple.com/uk/support/macbookair/bootcamp/

This one in particular might be useful as it explains about putting the Windows drivers onto an external disc:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4407

Any use?

GeneralSig_SF_03.png
    edited June 2013
    caspinwall wrote:
    There are some pages of help on the Apple website for using Bootcamp on Macbook Air (which is what I think you said you had):

http://www.apple.com/uk/support/macbookair/bootcamp/

This one in particular might be useful as it explains about putting the Windows drivers onto an external disc:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4407

Any use?

I will check out the links and get back to you! Thanks :)
    WLfAA9V.png
    edited June 2013
    So the second link seems helpful, but it is almost the exact same directions BBF gave lol. I tried using a USB instead of a blank disk but windows kept saying "non disk error." The only thing I can think of that would work would be to get another disk drive, which I won't do because they are about $80 a piece.
    WLfAA9V.png
    edited June 2013
    Okay so I have tried literally everything I can think of, and nothing is working. I keep getting stuck on the "no bootable device" screen in windows. I went out and bought an 8 gb usb, put windows 8 on it from another computer in my house, and tried it that way. Still says no bootable device and says something about a combatibility error? And that I need to remove it and restart the computer....but I do that and it just does the same thing over and over. This is getting me to the point where I'm upset and about to give up because I've been doing this since 10 this morning, it is now 4:30 pm and still nothing.

I did notice something about needing bootcamp 5 for windows 8? I have version 4.0....I did software update but my computer is up to date. No idea if that has anything to do with it but if someone can please help me I'd appreciate it. I'm running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5. I tried installing it from Apple's website and it froze google chrome & my computer up and I had to do a hard restart. I've restarted my computer so many times today, I hope I am not on the verge of breaking it. But I am trying to install bc5 again.
    WLfAA9V.png
    edited June 2013
    Gosh I don't know, sorry. :(

Can you go to an Apple Store and ask for assistance? The staff in the Stores here are pretty good about helping to get things set up on customers' computers.
    GeneralSig_SF_03.png
    edited June 2013
    Well, thanks for trying =(

Do you know if taking it to them is free? Lol, sorry for all the questions! I'm just extremely tight on money right now and can't really afford to have to pay someone to do this for me :/ if its free though, I can probably set up an appt and go tonight

Edit- I made an appt for tomorrow. I have a feeling that my problem is not really a problem, just me not knowing what I'm doing. Because I see in BBF's post it says:
    2 - When it's booted into Windows it will complain that it can't find a suitable drive to boot into. This is because your Mac has formatted the Boot Camp partition as Fat32 when it should actually be NTFS for Windows. Follow the instructions on page 6 of the guide that Snapdragon posted:

http://macs.about.com/od/bootcamp/ss/Using-Boot-Ca...tall-Windows-On-Your-Mac_6.htm

Once it's reformatted the Boot Camp partition it will be happy and you can proceed.

But when I click and read that link, I really don't understand what to do at all.

I tried installing bootcamp 5 from apple's website, but it just downloads a folder full of .exe files and stuff, and looking it up online tells me I need to open it with windows....but I can't get past the windows installation screen so I don't know what to do from here. :(

Just wanted to post, if anyone was wondering, that I got it to work last night. The option I needed to click was right in front of my face the whole time.....but I figured it out.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    WLfAA9V.png
  • CarmelitaDCarmelitaD Posts: 56 New Member
    edited June 2013
    I just posted this in mysimBrenda's thread but thought it may help to have a dedicated thread with instructions as more and more Mac users are realising that the game only truly works properly under Windows. Snapdragon has also provided a fantastic link to an external site detailing how to do the installation:

http://macs.about.com/od/bootcamp/ss/Using-Boot-Camp-Assistant-To-Install-Windows-On-Your-Mac.htm

You will need a retail copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8 to install into Boot Camp and a blank CD or USB stick (Fat 32 formatted) to save the Support Software onto.

Applications > Utilities > Boot Camp Assistant

I strongly recommend you print off the Installation & Setup Guide:

1.png

Make sure both boxes are ticked:

2.png

If you already have a Boot Camp partition installed and want to get rid of it and start again you will get this page instead:

6.png

THE most important bit (you can always reopen Boot Camp Assistant and re-download these if you bypass this step by accident) :

3.png

Downloading the Apple support software:

4.png

After it has finished the download it will then ask you how big a partition you want for Windows:

5.png

Chose the partition size and leave it to do it's stuff. When it boots into Windows you will need to reformat the Boot Camp Partition as NTFS as your Mac has formatted it as Fat 32.

After it does what it needs to it will restart into Windows. It is at this point that you install the Package file you burnt to disk or saved onto a USB stick. You do not need to download anything else from anywhere online to get the installation to work properly.

Once installed properly you will see this in a Finder window in OS X:

7.png

And similar under My Computer in Windows. You can read to the Boot Camp partition but not write to it, and vice versa to the Macintosh HD when you are in Windows (great for accessing screenshots you took in game in Windows and editing them in iPhoto).

Hope this helps a bit :)

Excellent and clear advice as always, BluebellFlora, with excellent results. Many thanks! :)
    edited June 2013

Ok...so first of all, a great big THANK YOU!!! To BluebellFlora for the suggestion with Origin....I logged in and was able to access all my downloaded games...yay!

Also, I was successful in installing windows via bootcamp...after a few hiccups and lots of googling anyway....but it's up and running and what I'm typing from currently! I got all my Custom Content over and my save game files...got it all ready to go and then BAM!!! A giant slap in the face for all my hard work that has literally taken days and days!

I get the infamous error message as follows:

Unable to start game
    Device 0 cannot run this title. No supported video graphics card detected. Please check your system hardware.

AGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!! *pulls hair out*

I cannot comprehend that although my game never ran smoothly, it did in fact run on the MAC side of my computer!! So why in the H E C K!!!! Won't it run now! It makes no sense!

I'm at my wits end. I checked the driver something or other for updates and it says it is up to date...so unless something on the windows side is not talking to something on the mac side... I am at a total loss.

If anyone has any clue how to help I am all ears!!!!

So sick of jumping through all these hoops...as God is my witness if Sims 4 is not made seperately for MAC I WILL NOT BUY IT!!!! :evil: :!:
    edited June 2013
    Did you install the support software?
    apple-signature.png
    edited June 2013
    Did you install the support software?

I did indeed. It was one of those hoops I learned to jump through the hard way. I had gone into the windows side when I realized my mouse and internet weren't working. So I installed the software and then everything started working.

edited June 2013
    I did indeed!
    Of course I didn't realize that at first and had to back and install it after the fact...but everything else is working fine.

edited June 2013
    Sorry for posting twice...I panicked and thought my original post hadn't gone through.

:oops: :oops: :oops:
    edited June 2013
    UPDATE!

So I figured out some of the problem...only to encounter a totally different problem.

I figured out that I needed to reinsert the disc with the Mac Support Software and choose the repair option. This helped windows to see the correct graphics card, and thusly I was able to start the game.

However...once the game got started I immediately went in to change my sims outfit which is the thing I could never do on the Mac side...and...IT CRASHED!!! Giving me an error referred to as an APPCRASH. I have no idea why, what it means, or what to do. I have tried a couple of things...like

Adding my .exe files to some list so that it won't think they are harmful to the computer or something...I tried removing my two twallans mods.

Removing my 2 Twallans Mods, Overwatch & Master Controller.

I am reluctant to try to remove all of my custom content because in every world, every house I have built and at least one sim in each is all custom content. I think the game will replace them automatically, but I worry so much about doing that. I don't know how many gigs of content I have, just that I have 917 items in that folder. I don't know if any of it is corrupt...I have to really sit down one day with Custard and painstakingly go through each individual file. I wish there was a better way to figure it out.

Also I noticed that each time I go to start up the game again the custom content is not in my downloads folder anymore...and I have to re add it each time. That's weird right?

So much weirdness!! If anyone can help I would so appreciate it!
    edited July 2013
    eknight78 wrote:
    UPDATE!

So I figured out some of the problem...only to encounter a totally different problem.

I figured out that I needed to reinsert the disc with the Mac Support Software and choose the repair option. This helped windows to see the correct graphics card, and thusly I was able to start the game.

However...once the game got started I immediately went in to change my sims outfit which is the thing I could never do on the Mac side...and...IT CRASHED!!! Giving me an error referred to as an APPCRASH. I have no idea why, what it means, or what to do. I have tried a couple of things...like

Adding my .exe files to some list so that it won't think they are harmful to the computer or something...I tried removing my two twallans mods.

Removing my 2 Twallans Mods, Overwatch & Master Controller.

I am reluctant to try to remove all of my custom content because in every world, every house I have built and at least one sim in each is all custom content. I think the game will replace them automatically, but I worry so much about doing that. I don't know how many gigs of content I have, just that I have 917 items in that folder. I don't know if any of it is corrupt...I have to really sit down one day with Custard and painstakingly go through each individual file. I wish there was a better way to figure it out.

Also I noticed that each time I go to start up the game again the custom content is not in my downloads folder anymore...and I have to re add it each time. That's weird right?

So much weirdness!! If anyone can help I would so appreciate it!

Hi there,

To be honest I would definitely try to play a CC-free game, at least to begin with. With you having a new installation and with the recent patches, it's possible that you have some CC item in there somewhere that's no longer compatible. If I were you, I would remove all the CC (dump it in a folder somewhere to sort out later) and just see if you can actually get the game up and running. So just pick Sunset Valley or one of the other EA worlds, pick a family and see if you can play for half an hour or so. Go into CAS and see if you can change outfits when there's no CC to worry about. Hopefully you can do all that you would wish in the game, in which case you can be more certain that something in your CC is the culprit.
    GeneralSig_SF_03.png
    edited July 2013
    CASPINWALL:

Thanks so much for the reply!

I think that I should definitely try to play without the custom content. And am totally willing to try it. But I wonder what will happen to all my existing games? Because once, I tried checking the box that says to play without any custom content or something like that and got a warning that everything would be changed to something else permanently. So would that mean that all of my houses that I have painstakingly decorated would be changed for good?

Maybe what I should do is just remove the saved games and place them elsewhere on my desktop, same with the CC and then create a new game as you suggested and see what happens.

edited July 2013
    The game substitutes your CC with EA stuff :(
    apple-signature.png
    edited July 2013
    eknight78 wrote:
    Maybe what I should do is just remove the saved games and place them elsewhere on my desktop, same with the CC and then create a new game as you suggested and see what happens.

Hello, yes that's what I would do - just set aside the CC and your old saves for now, until you do some testing and try to work out whether any of your CC is to blame. It might not be, of course, but then at least you'll have ruled it out.

GeneralSig_SF_03.png
  • ashleyalice413ashleyalice413 Posts: 13
    edited July 2013
    This doesn't make sense to me. I've tried multiple times to get bootcamp on my system. I have a 10.8 Mountain Lion and a digital copy of Windows for mac. But it doesn't give me the option to use a digital copy. It just asks for the windows disk, which I don't have. I hate to feel like I wasted $127 just to not be able to use it. Help?
  • av52696av52696 Posts: 4 New Member
    edited July 2013
    Yes, through Origin and no, of course you don't need to uninstall from the Mac side.

Would The Sims 3 Seasons run well on Boot Camp with the Mid-2012 15-inch MacBook Pro? Would the glitches (on The Sims 3 Seasons) that people were experiencing on the Mac side happen on the Windows side?
  • AdamVidalisssAdamVidalisss Posts: 40 New Member
    edited July 2013
    FryeGuy24 wrote:
    I know this thread hasn't been active for several days now, but I wanted to post my experience on this in case it helps anyone else in a similar situation. Beware, this is LONG.

First off, I don't own Seasons. I saw what it did to all of you, so I didn't buy it. Thus, my game does run *okay* on Mac OS. Here's what I have:

MacBook Pro Retina, Mid 2012
    2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
    16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 memory
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024MB
    Mountain Lion, 10.8.3

Games:
    World Adventures
    Ambitions
    Late Night
    Generations
    Fast Lane (SP)
    1GB of store content
    Various game-improving mods (like Overwatch, Traveler, fixes for broken stuff, etc.)
    No CC

Windows 7 Home Premium (almost never used)
    Boot Camp and VMWare Fusion

I never had any intention of switching permanently to play in Windows, which I'd abandoned 5 years ago for a reason. But I wanted to see if I (as a non-Seasons-owner) would experience any increase in performance from trying out Windows 7/Boot Camp.

FYI ultradave73, I got my digital downloads through GameTree, so your method of burning the disk image didn't work for me. I got error messages when trying to run the setup.exe. Perhaps those files are different from Amazon's files. Instead, I ran Windows, reluctantly downloaded Origin, and got the Windows download version of the games through there. (it's free; otherwise I wouldn't have done it.)

I used VMWare Fusion to transfer my save files and downloads between partitions. I ran the game for a short time in VMWare, but the graphics seemed to be a little wonky. (Fullscreen mode was very dark, and the resolution looked low, probably due to the retina display.) Perhaps this is fixable, but I didn't try. For actual play testing, I switched to Boot Camp.

What worked better on Windows:

1. The launcher.
    On Mac OS, my launcher would take forever to close out after installing a new store item, and it sometimes behaved funky when I was clicking the checkboxes - if I didn't aim perfectly inside the box, it'd deselect everything I'd previously clicked, for example. No such problem on Windows. Not a huge deal, but nicer on Windows.

2. CAS
    For certain saved games, I use MasterController's "disable clothing filter." When this is on, I normally can't even add a wedding ring to all five of a sim's outfits without getting a typical CAS glitch or crash. It fares better without that mod's feature, but I still can't create a household of two people from start to finish without a crash. On Windows, it was stable, even though I tried to make it crash. And I could save after without an error too.

3. Game loading time
    I *think* it was a little faster in Windows. I'll have to double check with a timer.

What wasn't significantly different on either OS:

1. Graphics/graphics settings
    My graphics looked the same on both OS's. The game did rate my PCU higher on Windows than it did on Mac and automatically gave me higher settings, but I'd customized that stuff on Mac anyway (and also altered the GraphicsRules.sgr file to get full clubs and such), so it didn't make a difference on PC. I tested some graphics settings that were slightly higher than I normally use, but then the game ran choppier than I'd like, and my machine ran a lot hotter. Recorded videos appeared grainier and a bit washed out under Windows. Screenshots looked the same in both OS's. My frame rate was listed a lot higher on Windows than on Mac (100+ on Windows vs 20-60 on Mac), but animations didn't actually *look* different at all, so I think maybe the numbers were just inaccurate.
    To sum up: I couldn't run the game under better graphics settings on Windows than I did on Mountain Lion.

2. Error Code 12
    I like to keep my households for a LONG time (basically, eternally), so Error Code 12 is a big deal to me even though I don't have Seasons. It used to be a bigger problem until I altered the sims.ini file to allow the program more than 2GB of memory. I haven't had EC12 in a while on the Mountain Lion side, and I didn't get it from one day of testing on the Windows side either. I'll have to test again with an even older save, but right now I'm still recovering from my last use of Windows. (Plus I need to retrieve the file from an external HD.)

3. Save time
    My games, even the biggest ones, have always saved in well under 30 seconds on Mac OS. I never had a problem here. It was equivalent in Windows.

What was better on Mac OS:

1. The MBPr trackpad
    Ooooh, the trackpad. This was bad enough on Windows to be a deal breaker. I installed the support software, and the trackpad was functional, but it was inaccurate and choppy, and Windows just did not run it as smoothly as Mac OS. This made navigating in-game very difficult. And I don't know why, but in Windows, I couldn't right-click/drag the screen to move my view. (my trackpad equivalent: double-finger-click/drag.) I also couldn't use control-right-click/drag to rotate the screen. These are all things that I use often to get precise angles for screenshots and videos, so I hated them being broken. Zooming in/out by sliding two fingers worked fine, but sometimes the game couldn't decide whether it was supposed to zoom or whether it was supposed to scroll (like through the inventory list at the bottom of the screen). It was all just very clunky.

2. Switching from fullscreen to windowed
    I typically play in fullscreen mode but switch to windowed if I need to quickly, say, jump on the internet and look up why my inventor can't create a simbot in Bridgeport. This is seamless in Mac OS. On Windows, every time I switched modes, it'd give me a popup with a 15-second timer asking to confirm the new screen settings. Annoying. I never got that on the Mac side.

3. Edge scrolling
    I use edge scrolling. On Mac (at least on mine), edge scrolling works whether I'm in fullscreen or windowed mode, even though it's apparently not supposed to work in windowed. In Windows, edge scrolling only works in fullscreen mode. And since I couldn't "drag" the screen as mentioned before, it made navigating in windowed mode especially frustrating. I mostly use the trackpad rather than the arrow keys, which are less precise. (P.S. I own a suitable mouse but can't use it due to current ergonomics/health/workspace issues.)

4. Usage sharing
    I'm sure everyone knows the issue with how "enable usage sharing" won't stay unchecked. However, when I use Master Controller (or perhaps Overwatch, not sure which one is doing it) on my Mac, it does stay unchecked. (Whether or not it really works, I don't know...) On PC, it wouldn't stay unchecked for me even with Master Controller/Overwatch.

5. The OS itself (obviously)
    This probably goes without saying, but running the game in Windows means BEING IN Windows. A lot of the creative stuff I do in TS3 makes use of Mac's strengths - being able to easily cycle through architecture reference while building, or creating/displaying character concept sketches while designing in CAS. Windows has none of that elegance or functionality, so unless you keep your eyes in the game and only in the game, this will have an impact on you. I can't even express how good it felt to switch back to Mac after doing this test.

What I didn't try extensively:
    Build/buy (typically works all right for me on Mac)
    Shop mode (crashes 50% of the time for me on Mac. I only use it to download the free stuff.)
    Edit Town (typically works all right for me on Mac)

Summary: If you mostly use TS3 for Create-A-Sim, it'll be much better in Boot Camp/Windows. If your game is completely broken on Mac, the only way to know if Windows is better is to try it yourself. (I don't have that problem, so I can't say.) But if your game works all right on Mac and you're wondering if it'll be better on Boot Camp/Windows, the answer for me was no, not significantly. And in some ways, worse.

But remember, these games were promised to work on Mac. The solution is not to jump ship and switch to Windows, it's to demand fixes for OUR OS. If temporarily playing in Windows is the only way for you to get your money's worth on a game you can't return and can't play on Mac, then I don't blame you. But we still need to push for those Mac fixes!

And if you have digital downloads, please, please don't go out and BUY second copies of the game. There are other ways to utilize your current paid downloads.

Do you have Seasons now?