Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If Katy Perry DIDN'T Have Anything To Do With This SP

I'm thinking that if this SP was about the same thing, but not specifically Katy Perry, then we'd be more interested. To be honest, Katy Perry is making this SP that more unlikable rather than promoting it positively. Sweet Treats is a good idea WITHOUT Katy Perry. I think it would be so much better if it was just a cute, colorful SP without Katy Perry on the label. I would certainly be so much more interested. It would be fun and a great addition. But because Katy Perry is the main idea here, I'm not quite as sure about the idea.

What do you think? Do you think Katy Perry is ruining the idea, but the actual theme would be fun?
From reading all the comments, I've come to the conclusion that..
-people have no problem with KP on the box other than the fact that it raises the price
-the theme should be expanded and allow for more content and ideas, but you would need to remove KP for that to be doable. Only so much KP can do and only so much you can do with her.
-this SP is not geared to the entire community at all.
-people only want SPs they can use, and this is not one of them.
-people believe this should be SC, and I do too, just EA wants everyone to have access to this and not everyone has access to simpoints.
-finally, I as well as everyone else thinks this isn't suited for the game at all and only here because of KP and to complement ST.

Comments

• Options
    Allspice1232Allspice1232 Posts: 3,234 Member
    edited April 2012
    Not for me, but I'm sure there are quite a few people who agree with you.
    34336_s.gif
  • Options
    iheartjackieiheartjackie Posts: 955 New Member
    edited April 2012
    It would have been better without Katy Perry and as a Store set rather than a Stuff Pack. This product concentrates too much on a certain demographic when it should be appealing to as many players as possible.

BTW, WESTIES!!! <3 I love Westies! *3*
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited April 2012
    Although I really don't care for any celebrity pushing Sims games (The Sims brand should be able to stand on it's own), the theme alone simply isn't for me. When I see a celebrity all I can do is wonder is the game play so lacking that we need a celeb to help sell it?

Stuff packs are very niche by nature, but this is the first one I don't want. Just my luck though.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    piddlesimpiddlesim Posts: 3,251 Member
    edited April 2012
    They couldn't have the sweet treats without Katy. Katy started the candyland / sweet treats theme in 2009 and early 2010. You can see her music videos on youtube to check this out. Also google images and type in Katy Perry Candyland.

Everything in this stuff pack is taken straight out of her line of videos, her clothing line ( you can see her website where some of the outfits are sold ), and her stage decor.

EA could not have used Katy's content without Katy's permission.
  • Options
    stormwenchstormwench Posts: 4,416 New Member
    edited April 2012
    Not involving KP would have been one of the solutions but not all of it. Beside KP I think the extra cost for mostly items that are never in an SP as they are too easily made in game by individuals and the 'niche' of this SP; it does not add onto the game where it can mix with other add ons... it pretty much, even jarringly, one onto its self. How many of the things we see right now will mix well with anything but ST.
  • Options
    RAE2786RAE2786 Posts: 683 New Member
    edited April 2012
    piddlesim wrote:
    They couldn't have the sweet treats without Katy. Katy started the candyland / sweet treats theme in 2009 and early 2010. You can see her music videos on youtube to check this out. Also google images and type in Katy Perry Candyland.

Everything in this stuff pack is taken straight out of her line of videos, her clothing line ( you can see her website where some of the outfits are sold ), and her stage decor.

Yeah, this. If Katy Perry did not team up with The Sims, I don't think there would be a sweet treats stuff pack. Maybe similar, but I think she inspired EA to make a pack like this in the first place.
  • Options
    Allspice1232Allspice1232 Posts: 3,234 Member
    edited April 2012
    RAE2786 wrote:
    piddlesim wrote:

Yeah, this. If Katy Perry did not team up with The Sims, I don't think there would be a sweet treats stuff pack. Maybe similar, but I think she inspired EA to make a pack like this in the first place.

Pretty much my take on it.
    34336_s.gif
  • Options
    catmom1987catmom1987 Posts: 440 Member
    edited April 2012
    It's the theme i don't like, i didn't even know who she was before Showtime, so her name being on the box doesn't matter one way or the other to me. I'm just the type of player that like's more realistic stuff in my game, so i'm not interested in this theme.

• Options
    KatryaKatrya Posts: 237 Member
    edited April 2012
    It doesn't really matter to me that Katy Perry is endorsing this stuff pack, it just doesn't work with anything in my towns. That is a shame because I like to buy new shiny sim stuff. If they would have made the stuff pack more kid or teen themed or included registers for ice cream shops or bakeries, then I would have been interested in purchasing it.

I don't hate the pack or Katy Perry, I just can't think of any way to use the stuff. I am however thrilled with the new India set so I guess you win some you lose some.
  • Options
    StormchaserOneStormchaserOne Posts: 32 New Member
    edited April 2012
    At least it is not Lady GoogAaGAa. Then it would have been a mental ward stuff pack wrapped in Latex.

Katy Perry is the only singer which I actually like.

There is an 80's atmosphere around her.

And, the cupcake bras all remind me of Disney when I was growing up in the 80's.
  • Options
    niac1234niac1234 Posts: 6,735 Member
    edited April 2012
    Ah! Je vois que vous êtes français. Je ne suis pas français mais j'aime la France beaucoup! :D

As for the game, I really wouldn't like it either way. I don't have a problem with Katy Perry really. If there was a Katy Perry 50's themed stuff pack, I would've been all over that. :D
  • Options
    sharena333sharena333 Posts: 1,579 Member
    edited April 2012
    I really enjoy and love having Katy Perry in the Sims 3 games! She makes it more FUN! :mrgreen::D :P :wink:
  • Options
    Mistletoe143Mistletoe143 Posts: 2,803 Member
    edited April 2012
    It doesn't matter to me one way or another if Katy Perry is endorsing the stuff pack, as I am not familiar with her as a singer. It's the content that I am interested in and I think a "candyland" theme is cute.

However, what does disappoint me is that because Katy Perry is endorsing it, we are limited to mostly female young adult/adult clothing... It just doesn't make sense to me that a "candy" theme SP has nothing in clothing options for children(!). Especially the scout outfit--it would be great if at least that one dress could be modified for little girls. Moms and daughters could dress alike for story-telling, etc.

Oh, well.
  • Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited April 2012
    At least it is not Lady GoogAaGAa. Then it would have been a mental ward stuff pack wrapped in Latex.

...am I the only one who thinks that sounds really cool?

While I dislike Katy Perry I could overlook her endorsement if the content was any good but it just isn't. It's too geared to one specific demographic and as I have mentioned previously that just isn't something I ever saw EA going for :( I mean I get that I like the darker side of life, cyberpunk style, rock music and Visual Kei style clothing and that was never, ever going to be in the game because it's too niche but at the same time I do not expect to have a game that was once geared towards everybody pushed so firmly at the pre-teen girls demographic. It's just sickening. If they can be pandered to then I want my cyberpunk SP dangit! :D

Had it have been just a normal SP that I wasn't into, that would be fine. I didn't complain about Fast Lane, I didn't complain about Outdoor Living because while not to my liking, those still had a point, hell even Master Suite had a point even though it's yet more luxury / rich lifestyle crap because the lingere section of CAS has been badly neglected for a long time so again, I didn't complain about it. But this? This just blows.

Besides, as far as I'm concerned EA are using her endorsement for 2 reasons:

1. As an excuse to further gouge it's customers. £24.99 for a stuff pack? An inferior stuff pack at that? Yeah, no thanks. I'd rather use the money to buy an expansion pack for £5 more than that.

2. As a means to conceal just how poorly thought out this SP really was. I'm not knocking the programmers as they can only create what they're asked to within their brief but come on this pack has done nothing but alienate a large portion of their fans and IMO there is a place for stuff like this, but it's not in a massively overpriced stuff pack.

It is a completely wasted opportunity to give us something we can actually use beyond a quick one-time gimmick.
  • Options
    4thefunofit44thefunofit4 Posts: 3,032 Member
    edited April 2012
    I'd be ok with KP being used if the whole sp wasn't covered in food and candy. That's just cruel torture to me. lol
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited April 2012
    No, even if KP had nothing to do with it would I buy it. :roll:

It is too childish. Period.

ETA: Here's an idea EA. If you want to push celeb endorsements (and I do love Katy, as I have said but not buying it) but anyhow, why didn't you have a contest for modders (you know, your fan base?)to make an outfit that Katy would wear in a real performance? You know like how you did that for H&M...and Madonna....where the H&M outfit would appear in game or be made by H&M real life?

Now that right there would have gained you more young ins to enter the contest and want to do that with this SP and created more jaz about it than your current marketing plan.

Oh wait, TS3 doesn't like modders and player creations they would rather lock us out and make it more difficult to mod your game so you can sell stuff in the Store. :evil:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Citrina5Citrina5 Posts: 1,252 New Member
    edited April 2012
    I'm thinking that if this SP was about the same thing, but not specifically Katy Perry, then we'd be more interested. To be honest, Katy Perry is making this SP that more unlikable rather than promoting it positively. Sweet Treats is a good idea WITHOUT Katy Perry. I think it would be so much better if it was just a cute, colorful SP without Katy Perry on the label. I would certainly be so much more interested. It would be fun and a great addition. But because Katy Perry is the main idea here, I'm not quite as sure about the idea.

What do you think? Do you think Katy Perry is ruining the idea, but the actual theme would be fun?

Yh and also it would cost less too.
  • Options
    KarinLKarinL Posts: 3,989 Member
    edited April 2012
    Yes - that's why I'd buy it faster if KP wasn't involved. Because it would probably cost less. Other than that, it doesn't make a difference to me at all whether or not KP is on the cover of the disk. I would still like the banana sofa and still hate the cupcake/strawberry ****** top.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2012
    I don't care who endorses a pack actually. I am not a Madonna fan, but it did not keep me from buying the H & M teen fashions that were her clothing line.

I could see if a celebrity did not have a line of clothing or furnishings and was just a spokesperson for the product - then I might be annoyed (I don't HATE anybody unless I have a personal reason to, but I do get annoyed by some people) that this person was so in my face advertising some things - (like all those diet commercials with celebrities) - but when they have a style and I can find it useful in my game, regardless of whose name is on the product, then I am interested.

I do like Katy Perry - I like perky people - but i have never been a actual fan of any celebrity and would not rush out and blindly buy anything endorsed by any of them.

It is what is in the pack that sells it to me. That said i do not care for the candy and cupcake bikini tops, but those are the only two items out of this whole pack that i have seen so far I don't like.

But it could be anybody's name on the pack or no name at all, and I am going to judge the pack by the contents.

Sure I don't like paying more, but that has never stopped me from buying anything else I wanted, so if it has stuff I can use, then I buy it.

I get way more annoyed at having to pay ten dollars at the store for a box of trash bags (after all they are items you buy solely to throw away), than it bothers me to pay 29.99 US dollars for an ep I can have forever. (Edit - meant sp, sorry about that.)
    Post edited by Unknown User on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited April 2012
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    Sure I don't like paying more, but that has never stopped me from buying anything else I wanted, so if it has stuff I can use, then I buy it.

I get way more annoyed at having to pay ten dollars at the store for a box of trash bags (after all they are items you buy solely to throw away), than it bothers me to pay 29.99 US dollars for an ep I can have forever.

That's just it though, it's not an EP. Ignoring my personal stance for a moment it's an SP that does not add anything new to the game when you get down to it and yet EA wants to charge £5 less than what a full EP complete with new interactions and features would cost.

How is this any different than the store at this point? The store has regular daily deals that make the pricing actually reasonable. Are you really getting more content for your £15 / $10? No. You're not. You're paying for Katy Perry's name to be on the box, that's all. I'd never pay full price for this even if I wanted it, I'd wait until it ended up in a sale or as a giveaway on Origin for preordering another expansion pack.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2012
    Darkslayer, I definitely hear where you are coming from, as you guys across the pond are definitely being duped and overcharged. I have no clue why and you have every right to be annoyed - as that is more than we in the States are being charged. The -ep- was an typo, I meant sp, but the fact you guys have to pay the price of an ep for any sp is ridiculous. This alone makes no sense to me.

But on my side of the issue, I don't see this all that expensive when I compare it to paying for big sets in the store. I can see where it is an issue for people who don't buy sets or only likes a couple of the items though - so the fact it is an sp makes it impossible for them to get any of the set.

I do get your point, although I didn't get this the first day this sp was added to the forum, I get it now - and perhaps you guys are right that it should have been a big store set - so folks could pick and choose. But first EA needs to investigate why you folks have to pay this kind of price for any sp. That is just not right and not fair.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    breville69breville69 Posts: 1,397 New Member
    edited April 2012
    Maybe if it was cater more for the kids ,like the clothes and hairstyle should have been.
  • Options
    Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited April 2012
    It's not Katy Perry that puts me off. It's the price and theme (candyland).

Most add-ons have a wider interest range than this. That's because they usually have a nice balance between fantasy and realism, so there is a bit for most people. This is all fantasy, so only it's mainly people that want all fantasy and no realism that like this pack.
  • Options
    DebbieGCDebbieGC Posts: 288 Member
    edited April 2012
    I love how there are so many people who are not interested in this SP, but somehow they find their way into the forum for KP Sweet Treats. Hmmmm.....

Anyway, I'm definitely going to buy this stuff pack. I'm just not sure if I'm going to wait for it to go on sale or if I'm gonna break down and buy it day one. I already got Katy Perry Collector's ed. Showtime for free, so buying this full price wouldn't bother me.
  • Options
    breville69breville69 Posts: 1,397 New Member
    edited April 2012
    breville69 wrote:
    Maybe if it was cater more for the kids ,like the clothes and hairstyle it would have been great.