The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ask the Prima Guide: I'll Answer Your Questions the Best I Can.

I finnally got the Prima Game Guide for The Sims 3: Pets. I have nothing to do this weekend, so i'll happily stay here on the forums and use it to answer your questions.

If you have a question about TS3P just ask me, and i'll tell you what the guide has to say about it.

Comments

• Options
    JeramooJeramoo Posts: 229 New Member
    edited October 2011
    What's the guide have to say about unicorns? (Specifically abilities, although any info would be appreciated.)

Are there any new non-pet objects that seem interesting to you?
  • Options
    peoineepeoinee Posts: 2,183 Member
    edited October 2011
    If it says anything i would like to know what rabbit holes are combined now i know i saw the school and sports center are combined what i want to know what other ones have either been combined or if like the public works building (police,military,city hall) has been redesigned
  • Options
    KayO199XKayO199X Posts: 722 New Member
    edited October 2011
    Jeramoo wrote:
    What's the guide have to say about unicorns? (Specifically abilities, although any info would be appreciated.)

Are there any new non-pet objects that seem interesting to you?

1. Unicorns have the same needs as horses, except they never get dirty. Any Sim, child and up can adopt a unicorn by finding them, and building a high enough relationship with it. All unicorns have 'magic points' which dictates the number of magical moves they can do.
    Unicorns can teleport, and if a sim is riding the unicorn, he or she with teleport with the unicorn. Unicorns can also give a positive or negative buff to any sim. They can also improve (or hamper) the qualilty of plants.

2. The guide seems to indicate that the laundry system will be present in this game, even if you don't have Ambitions installed.
  • Options
    TINA180TINA180 Posts: 683 Member
    edited October 2011
    I would like to know about unicorns too. I hear that you have to interact with wild life & wild horses consistently in order to find one?
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,488 Member
    edited October 2011
    Where did you find the guide?
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    peoinee wrote:
    If it says anything i would like to know what rabbit holes are combined now i know i saw the school and sports center are combined what i want to know what other ones have either been combined or if like the public works building (police,military,city hall) has been redesigned
    Rabbit holes go like this in Appaloosa Plains...

Crestview High (School+Stadium)
    Dan Teeter's Gracery and the Koffi Cafe(Grocery Store+Cafe)
    Rustler's Den(Criminal Hideout)
    Wolfson's Hospital and Research Facility(Hospital+Science Lab)
    Hueber Associates & Kim Gould's Steakhouse(Offices+Bistro)
    Darris Teeter Art Theater(Theater)
    Walls Book'n Bath LLC(Bookstore+Spa)
    Appaloosa Plains Civic Center(City Hall+Police Station+Military Base)
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Where did you find the guide?
    I got it at a GameStop. The guide wasn't streetdated, so they can sell it as soon as they get one in stock.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    TINA180 wrote:
    I would like to know about unicorns too. I hear that you have to interact with wild life & wild horses consistently in order to find one?
    Acctually no. Every neigborhood has one (and only one) wild unicorn in it at all times. Finding it can be difficult because the unicorn is always teleporting around. However, the unicorn tends to stay in more rurual areas of town. Once you adopt a wild unicorn, a new wild unicorn will take it's place.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    KayO199X wrote:
    TINA180 wrote:
    Acctually no. Every neigborhood has one (and only one) wild unicorn in it at all times. Finding it can be difficult because the unicorn is always teleporting around. However, the unicorn tends to stay in more rurual areas of town. Once you adopt a wild unicorn, a new wild unicorn will take it's place.

:thumbup: Thank you Kay!
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Thanks for the info. :)

This is the first I've heard about rabbit holes being combined. Does that mean we can combine them in other towns?
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    One thing i find interesting that nobody has asked yet is pet traits.

Unlike sims, a pet's traits will change as a sim trains them. For example, a dog with the destructive trait can have this trait removed or even changed to non-destructive by reciving the proper reenforcement from their owner. All pets start out with 3 traits, but a well trained pet can have many, many traits.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Any info on the minor pets (snakes, turtles, etc)? Do those just have an interaction or two available?

Oh, what about wild animals? Aren't there deer and raccoons? Any way to attract or repel them?
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    KayO199X wrote:

Unlike sims, a pet's traits will change as a sim trains them. For example, a dog with the destructive trait can have this trait removed or even changed to non-destructive by reciving the proper reenforcement from their owner. All pets start out with 3 traits, but a well trained pet can have many, many traits.

Wow thats awesome! So they can eventually gain more that just 3 traits! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    AwgustAwgust Posts: 1,222 New Member
    edited October 2011
    Are there any new careers or professions? I remember seeing some of the new LTWs and one of them was… Animal rescuer does the guide say anything about the new LTWs? Sorry for two questions in one there :oops: but I’m really exited!
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,711 Member
    edited October 2011
    KayO199X wrote:

That's cool! Then I suppose that a well trained pet will also pass on some of those new traits to its offspring?

Another question: Will minor wild animals be spawned like gems (random spot within a certain radius), or will they move about without lots of restrictions?
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    xviviansaidzxxviviansaidzx Posts: 555 Member
    edited October 2011
    KayO199X wrote:

2. The guide seems to indicate that the laundry system will be present in this game, even if you don't have Ambitions installed.

What do you mean by this? Does the game come with washing machines?
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Jeramoo wrote:
    Any info on the minor pets (snakes, turtles, etc)? Do those just have an interaction or two available?

Oh, what about wild animals? Aren't there deer and raccoons? Any way to attract or repel them?
    Small Pets come in the following forms: Birds, Lizards, Rodents, Snakes, and Turtles.

Deer and Racoons are both in this game. Deers can be found wanding around rural areas of town. Deers are shy and will run away if a sim gets too close to them. However, sims who have built the hidden skill "Wildlife Friend" far enough will not scare the deer, and can even pet it.
    Racooons are an annoying animal. They will attempt to eat any pet food that is left outside. They will also tip over your garbadge can. Sims can attempt to pet racoons, but most of the time, the racoon will bite. Pets can also chase and fight racoons.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Awgust wrote:
    Are there any new careers or professions? I remember seeing some of the new LTWs and one of them was… Animal rescuer does the guide say anything about the new LTWs? Sorry for two questions in one there :oops: but I’m really exited!
    1. Sorry, but there are no new careers or professions. However, there are new ways to make money.

Any animal can be bread and sold for a lot of money. Also, you can win cash prizes in horse races. Also, if your horse is male, you may be asked to "Stud" your horse. By sending your stallion to mate with other horses, your sim will recive a lot of money. Stallions that have won a lot of events will recive more money from Studing.

2. The guide explains all the LTWs. However, they are just as well explained on The Sims Wiki.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Another question: Will minor wild animals be spawned like gems (random spot within a certain radius), or will they move about without lots of restrictions?
    I'm not completely sure about it, but i think small animals spawn like gems and insects. Some are very rare, but the good news is, you can also buy all the small animals from the habitat itself.

An interesting note, the write of the players guide mentions that the Sims can release small animals into the wild, and then has a disclaimer stating that you should NEVER do this in real life.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I guess I'll have to go check my local gamestops because they no longer tell you online if it's available in your area but I was going to town anyway.

Does it have a section on Appaloosa Plains and does it tell you the new households living there?

Also does it show the new houses?

Does it show all the new community lots?
  • Options
    Evenstar606Evenstar606 Posts: 1,618 Member
    edited October 2011
    @Jeramoo: The rabbitholes are also combined in Bridgeport for late night.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Does it have a section on Appaloosa Plains and does it tell you the new households living there?

Also does it show the new houses?

Does it show all the new community lots?
    Yes, yes, and yes.
  • Options
    peoineepeoinee Posts: 2,183 Member
    edited October 2011
    KayO199X wrote:
    peoinee wrote:
    Rabbit holes go like this in Appaloosa Plains...

Crestview High (School+Stadium)
    Dan Teeter's Gracery and the Koffi Cafe(Grocery Store+Cafe)
    Rustler's Den(Criminal Hideout)
    Wolfson's Hospital and Research Facility(Hospital+Science Lab)
    Hueber Associates & Kim Gould's Steakhouse(Offices+Bistro)
    Darris Teeter Art Theater(Theater)
    Walls Book'n Bath LLC(Bookstore+Spa)
    Appaloosa Plains Civic Center(City Hall+Police Station+Military Base)

Yay im so happy i want to have lots of lots lol and learn to build my nightclubs but the old towns just dont have the room so maybe i can finally do something with AP i want to play all the good parts of the eps but i want to play them with one family im ok not having my condos they dont look right anyway i miss Apartment life it was a proper apartment not a tall rabbit hole with a small house ontop
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Cool can you tell me who the households living there are and if any have any interesting back stories? :D