Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

Comments

• Options
    KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    @kgaff oh I take that to mean not on the lot, like no driveways. Maybe @BuildnShare can clarify?

I'm taking it literally, no roads either dirt or paved because it specifically states only bikes and walking paths. No fear, I found a good spot to put a nice sized lot and am happily building away.
    Aellanii wrote: »
    Interesting challenge this month. I usually follow the challenge archives because I'm slow and the practice is fun, but I have a question for this one in particular. It may be odd, but.

Three buildings for pairs. Are we assuming the pairs are couples or "roomies"? Along those lines, are the pairs specified, or can we just stick people together who we think would click? Granted, they are hippies, so they arguably they should all get along. Thank you!

I'm guessing by the brief that we have freedom to do what ever with the simmies. I'm going with a mixed group of friends and couples but it is the Age of Aquarius so to me that means anything goes. Peace out :)
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    You know, a nice place on the beach like the strand would be interesting to do. That only has a winding pathway to it - no road!

I didn't even think of mixing them up as "pairs" immediately put the idea of couples in my mind.
  • Options
    BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    @kgaff - no roads on the lot please.

@Aellanii - yep, as @Kgaff said, you have full creative licence with how you want the residential parts.
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    So this will be the first time ever I've made the sims before I made the build! :open_mouth:
  • Options
    JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    Really interesting challenge this time, I am sure I will struggle with the budget but it gives me an excuse to look at pictures of Coachella for inspiration. If I find that I can't participate I'll definitely be lurking for this one.
  • Options
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM #200 - The Age of Aquarius

NAME: @Jessabeans

LINK TO LOT: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9200367

LINK TO MEDIA: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16382495/#Comment_16382495

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: n/a

LEVEL: intermediate

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 40x40, 9 Sunstone Ct, Hidden Springs §100,226

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: Located in a spacious and secluded lot in Hidden Springs, adjacent to the river and also centered around a pond. Crafted with a mix of sustainable new and reclaimed wood. (the barn and the bridge are a fresh cut unfinished wood as they would have likely been new construction, and the cabins and greenhouse appear to be from reclaimed wood, and the potting shed looks more weathered since it didn't need to be winterized.) Many natural finishes, but sprinkled with a little personality and comfort. (I assumed the girls would want a more whitewashed look and some purely decorative elements for their room and the common areas, but kept the reclaimed lumber look and sparse functional decor for the men's cabins and outbuildings.) I added a small pool within the pond so it would be swimmable but not be a bourgeoisie swimming pool.

Looking at hippie communes for inspiration, I found heat and renewable food sources to be a necessity so I gave them some starter plants in the garden, stocked the pond with fish(spawners) and outfitted each cabin with a wood burning stove and left them a stockpile of firewood. It should be a self-sustaining farm if they don't get distracted by Essence's moodlamp. No promises.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: No cc used

SPACE FOR PICTURES:

tumblr_p5ndg20eBr1x95scjo4_1280.jpg
    tumblr_p5lj62T7Zz1x95scjo3_1280.jpg
  • Options
    Totally awesome @Jessabeans! I love all the bikes, that big water tank, the solar panels (I used those too!), recycle containers, pond, trees, greenhouse, and even a chicken coop! You managed a lot for your budget! It looks great!

I put mine on a much smaller lot, but I did manage those cute hanging chairs on my covered porches as well! I'll have to return to my build and finish up all the CASting and collecting soon. We are down to the last two weeks of the month already! (I've been playing more than building lately.)
  • Options
    Thanks @Ciane, I was worried I wouldn't be able to get it under budget, the first 3 ideas didn't work out (I liked the treehouse idea but I spent nearly 30k on columns so it wasn't going to work, I was going to share the second idea (a village of tiny lots surrounding a community garden, it looked really cute but too formal for hippies) in your microlot thread but I got distracted by another build. I wish I could have stuck with the 30x30 lot but I didn't have enough space for the garden between the buildings. Budget-wise, would seem bathrooms are a hefty chunk of budgets because I found that I had funds to spare. I'm looking forward to seeing your (and everyone else's) build, this was a fun one!
  • Options
    That is a luxurious commune Ciane, did you have a lot of budget to play with too? Or were you going for more of a 'spiritual retreat' vibe? I liked seeing how you paired them up as couples. I love how the kitchen is the heart of the compound, and it was clever to landscape with moonrocks.
  • Options
    I had a lot more budget than I needed, probably because I chose a smaller lot and didn't need to add trees because there were so many around the lot. I kept it under 110k before the upgrades and under 100k after. I felt the hot tub and sauna gave more of a communal bath vibe and let them enjoy the outdoors while they were at it. I saw all the eco-friendly sims as loving the outdoors, yet not athletically minded. So they needed "lazy" outdoor activities to balance the gardening.

I thought that a visual artist would meld well with a musical artist, so those two seemed natural choices. The gatherer would be able to pick up seeds for the gardener, so those went together okay too, I think. I see both the writer and the cook as creative and appreciating finer things, such as more complicated plot lines and menus.

It was fun and I am excited to see what others did with it.
  • Options
    ElleDaesElleDaes Posts: 72 Member
    Will not look at everyone's awesome builds before mine is done. Will not look at everyone's awesome builds before mine is down. Will not look at everyone's awesome builds before mine is done... You guys are testing my resolve.
  • Options
  • Options
    @ElleDaes :lol: this challenge is kicking my buttered bread down the street! I can't believe how hard this one has been for me to settle on a single design.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM #200 - The Age of Aquarius

NAME: Kgaff

LINK TO LOT: n/a

LINK TO MEDIA: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16400410/#Comment_16400410

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: included with lot
    I just had fun making the sims and really don't have a back story.

LEVEL: intermediate

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 50x50 - no address in Riverview - 114,754

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: The lot was placed in the farthest reaches of Riverview along a path and near the river.

Before I started building the lot I thought about how the outer areas (outside the lot itself) would lend privacy so I built up a rocky outcrop for the pond area and landscaped it so the pond didn't just look like a hole in the ground using edit world.

The commune is based on eco friendliness and recycling. It is a self-supporting commune with plenty of food options, fishing, a very large garden, fruit trees, bees and even a chicken coop.

Water collection areas, wind power and solar panels keep everything up and running.

In one corner is the bathing tent with two showers and a bath tub. Even though there are no actual doors on the tent everyone is very happy to take a bath from time to time.

There are two outhouse style "composting" toilets near the bath tent.

The "communal living" building has a huge eat-in kitchen with a bakers oven, canning station and regular kitchen appliances. The large living room has seating for everyone, it's large enough for playing guitar, dancing to tunes on an old school record player and places for all the collectables. The third room has all the art objects, and a computer for the writer of the bunch. There are also a sculpting station and jewelry making station outside.

Three separate cabins are located in the front corner, with a bon-fire ring and a party pavilion for dancing the nights away.

There are several bikes for transportation as well as those good old feet!

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: "yes"

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: n/a

SPACE FOR PICTURES: 27137507518_7415373146_c.jpg

Post edited by Kgaff on
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    @Jessabeans I love your build! Great idea to use a barn for the communal area and that bridge over the pond <3<3<3 I like all the little extras you thought of, a heater for the chickens :p and the wood pile for the fireplaces (I forgot that little detail). I also like how you do the paths, subtle but you know they are there.

@ciane I have to agree that is one luxurious commune!! It's someplace I wouldn't mind spending some time myself. I like the setup of the lot with everything being close by but still separate. The double porches on the cabins is a very nice touch.

@creativemetaphor Sorry this is causing you such grief. I can't wait to see what you end up doing. :)

@ElleDaes It's soo ooo hard not to peek at the other entries!!! I stayed away until I was done too. Can't wait to see yours
  • Options
    You included a lot of great stuff @Kgaff! I love the idea of a bath tent and swimmable pond. I really love those fun roofs too! Your hippies are "far out, man!" The colors... so blindingly hippish!
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    @Kgaff I love the fun colors you used all throughout your build. Great idea on the shower tent idea, it suits hippies and also has this luxe Moroccan kinda of vibe too which I love. The communal living area looks like so much fun, and the garden area is so cheery. I love that you made the hippies and have them enjoying the build.

It's also interesting to see how they are/will be paired up (or not) by everyone. Come on communes!
  • Options
    mederouinmederouin Posts: 67 Member
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM: No.200: The Age of Aquarius

NAME: Mederouin

LINK TO LOT: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9203403

LINK TO MEDIA: https://imgur.com/a/O0Z6X

(Hopefully this will work because I have been having uploading issues with Flickr, so trying this for the first time. Fingers Crossed it works out better)

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: N/A

LEVEL: Advanced

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 64 X 64 Placed lot off of S Falls Ave in Moonlight Falls, Final cost: 98,517

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: For this project I wanted to do something that played with the idea of leaving the land in better condition than when you found it. I thought that would be fitting considering that the clients here wanted to be as eco-friendly as possible and a big part of that is recycling. So instead of starting with a "pure" lot, I chose to work off of the idea that my lot had been an abandoned port of some kind. It had overgrown piles of garbage and old shipping containers laying around that now half caved in shipping lanes and the old restrooms were in sore need of repair. I used this imagined version of my placed lot to rehab the whole lot by turning the restrooms into a bathhouse and the shipping containers into the rest of the buildings. I chose to put everything onto the pile foundations in order to maintain the natural landscape and minimize the terrain sculpting that needed to be done in order to put the building on. For the inside I wanted it to have not quite a minimalistic feel, but something that wasn't materialistic. I wanted it to feel put together, but without trying too hard to make everything match if that makes sense. I wanted the whole thing to be about reclaiming something that others had thrown away and forgotten. I left some of the "garbage" on the lot to act as sculptures and perhaps reminders of why the clients wanted to live this way in the first place.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes, please

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: N/A
    “As an architect you design for the present with an awareness of the past for a future which is essentially unknown”
    -Herman Foster
  • Options
    I like your idea of container homes. I've played around with them in the past and have an on-going project with them now, but I didn't think about using them for the hippies and their commune. Very interesting idea!
  • Options
    SandraelleSandraelle Posts: 6,146 Member
    Wow, all of these communes look great and very creative! Great job everyone!
  • Options
    @mederouin I like the idea of using shipping containers, I also really like how wild and untamed the area is, it makes since that hippie would want to preserve the natural environment. I like how remote and overgrown the lot looks too, and it was nice how you were able to blend in 'found objects' with the plants. It came together really well, great job with it.
  • Options
    ElleDaesElleDaes Posts: 72 Member
    I can't believe with less than 4 days to go, I'm completely scrapping my build and starting over. I'm just not inspired by it anymore. :persevere:
  • Options
    Oh no, I hope you are able to rebuild in time. Good luck!
  • Options
    @ElleDaes I totally feel you! I'm just glad I have one more Saturday to try to get mine finished.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top