Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How To - Install Custom Content Help Thread *PC & Mac*

ir59us.pngHow To Install Custom Content Help Thread!
For those that still don't get it.

It has come to my attention that a lot of people are still coming to my CC Tutorial and bombarding it with tons of questions. Claiming that it still doesn't work, or that they're totally lost, I figured that creating a separate thread would suspend the clutter. For those of you that wonder which tutorial this applies to, the link is right here.

Common Issues:
Picture4.pngQ: My custom content is still not showing up! I followed all the steps, and placed everything where it Picture4.png needs to go! Help!
Picture4.pngA: Make sure you have the following things:
Picture1.png • The resource.cfg file
Picture1.png • Your .package file
Picture1.png • The Mods & Packages folders in your Sims 3 root directory folder

Picture4.png If you have those, and you are placing your .package files into the C:/Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Picture4.png Sims 3/Mods/Packages folder, then your custom content should be in your game. Remember, the Picture4.png resource.cfg file goes into the The Sims 3 folder, not in the Mods or Packages folder. Also, do NOT go Picture4.png anywhere NEAR your Documents folder. If you are in My Documents, you are doing this thing 100% wrong, Picture4.png and you should take another look at the tutorial.

Picture4.pngQ: When I go to download the resource.cfg, it won't let me! It says no cookies found, or I just can't Picture4.png download it!
Picture4.pngA: When you are downloading the resource.cfg file, make sure your cookies are cleared. To do this, go Picture4.png into your web browser's preferences, and locate where you can clear your cookies. Its different for every Picture4.png browser. Also, make sure you are a registered member at MTS, and that you are logged in.

WinRAR:

Issues with WinRAR aren't exactly my forté. Many people do have issues with WinRAR, and I'm not exactly sure why, since to me it is a very simple two/three step process.

Windows.png If you are using Windows, here are your steps to getting WinRAR to work perfectly:
Picture1.png • Download WinRAR from http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm
Picture1.png- You should download either the 64 or 32-bit version in your language of choice. Go here to find out if you are on a 64, or a Picture1.png 32-bit system.

Picture1.png • Download and install WinRAR.
Picture1.png • Now, go off and download a .zip or a .rar file from a website that has Sims content.
Picture1.png • Double click on that file, and WinRAR should open and extract that file.
Picture1.png • The content should appear in the WinRAR window.
Picture1.png • Drag the .package file onto the desktop.

From there, you can place that .package file into your Packages folder.

Apple.png If you are using Mac OS X, here are your steps to getting UnRarX to work perfectly:

Picture1.png • Download UnRarX from: http://www.unrarx.com/
Picture1.png- You don't need to worry about your OS X, or anything like that. UnRarX works on all OS X's and all Macs.

Picture1.png • Download and install UnRarX.
Picture1.png • Now, go off and download a .zip or a .rar file from a website that has Sims content.
Picture1.png • Double click on that file, and UnRarX should open and extract that file.
Picture1.png- These files will automatically be placed onto your desktop.

From there, you can place that .package file into your Packages folder.
Still need additional help? You can post your question(s) on this thread, or you can try going on the support pages for WinRAR/UnRarX.

Before Asking Questions:

Before asking any questions with installing CC, make sure you have read the tutorial fully and more than one time. Also, you should go ahead and check out other tutorials to see if those help you. If you still have further questions, you may post them and I will try to help!

I'm Not Aarin:

I'm not some kind of supercomputer that knows all the answers. Before asking questions, try and find the answer to your problem before coming to me with a question. I am also not on the computer 24/7. So, if you do post a question it might be a while before I answer. With that in mind, others on the community are allowed to step in and help. If I'm not online, or I don't know the answer and you do, you can answer the question. This isn't a "Lawertend Help Thread" its just a general help thread, so keep it in mind that you can also help. :wink:

Comments

• Options
    PoppyBPoppyB Posts: 2,506 Member
    edited October 2009
    Here's a bump for you.
    BUMPezhpqo.gif
  • Options
    teakersneakersteakersneakers Posts: 1,967 New Member
    edited October 2009
    good work!! AGAIN!! You are so helpful! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Walden95Walden95 Posts: 3,089 Member
    edited October 2009
    *Added to the Walden95 Post Directory* :wink:
  • Options
    ConnorFromCyberlifeConnorFromCyberlife Posts: 1 New Member
    this seems very detailed and I understand you mustve gotten these questions before but I have looked through ALL the files for sims 4 and there is nothing that has been labelled or anything as you described it. I also called them for help but they weren't any help either
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    That's because those are instructions for installing Sims 3 content :)
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited May 2019
    @ConnorFromCyberlife - Not only were these TS3 custom content/mod installation instructions, but they are very outdated even for TS3 (note the posting dates, this was shortly after TS3 was first released). No one should be installing TS3 mods/CC that way anymore, everything changed when Patch 1.12 was released in 2010 alongside of Ambitions.

TS4 is a very different game, the procedures for adding CC or mods to it are entirely different, and from what I understand much easier to work with. I am reluctant to link to pages with TS4 instructions because I don't play that game, so I wouldn't know which ones might be better or easier to follow than others. Perhaps this helps, though? If not, posting on the Mods boards of the TS4 section of this forum, not here in TS3, might provide some better assistance if needed.
    http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS4_CC_Basics
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Hey friends! Thanks for stepping in and helping this person. I'm going to go ahead and close this off considering it's been inactive for a long time. If you have any questions about necroposting you can read this thread here : Necroposting
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top