Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Fidler's Epic Building Challenge (Due Date:03/15/11)

Comments

• Options
    fidlertenfidlerten Posts: 7,615 Member
    edited April 2010
    yanti68 wrote:
    Hi Fid,

This is my official entry for your Park Challenge! My park is called Silverfalls Park! Here are some pics:

4513183751_deb6b1e2c6_o.jpg[img]For more screenshots click on this link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11840326@N02/sets/72157623836445450/ Download link: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=2239001 Comment thread: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/190721.page[/img]

Hi Yanti,

I've got your entry down.

fidlerten
    Signature%2005-29-17_zpsti5fd2z4.png
  • Options
    BreanneStoneBreanneStone Posts: 831 New Member
    edited April 2010
    Only a week left in this challenge...I'm looking forward to getting to see some more spectacular parks. I would love to see the Pro category fill up a bit more as well...hint, hint people... :D
  • Options
    SpectrefiendSpectrefiend Posts: 129 New Member
    edited April 2010
    Aww what the.. ? This Topic/Challenge is buried in the Forums.. that's rather annoying, atleast I found it heh.

-Spec :wink:
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Aww what the.. ? This Topic/Challenge is buried in the Forums.. that's rather annoying, atleast I found it heh.

Hey Spec,

Actually,

This thread is in the "Building Challenges and Colaborations" sticky at the top of "Creative Corner" but it's under the name "Fidler's Potpourri Challenge" which was the name it was under at the time it was put there.

Maybe I need to get Hydra to put it under a more general name like "Fidler's Monthly Challenges". I'll see if I can get a communication for her to do that. She has been very supportive of our builders needs of late.

This current challenge will be over with in just a few days; the 20th and then I'll be starting up another one.

fidlerten
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hey Everyone,

I'm trying to make a decision on my next challenge. I have a couple of options I could go with.

Here they are:

"Fidler's 'Down on The Farm' Challenge"

"Fidler's Old Time Victorian Challenge"

"Fidler's Rope'em Ranch Challenge"

The names speak for themselves.

I'd kind of like to know how many of you would sign up for which challenges. The pros out there pretty well stayed away from this park building challenge for some reason, except for a few of you. Maybe they felt it just wasn't challenging enough for them; I don't know.

You guys let me know what you think, though I will end up making the ultimate decision myself on which one we will go with.

fidlerten
  • Options
    MeestorMarkMeestorMark Posts: 865 Member
    edited April 2010
    Just noticed... We have to have a fountain... Hmm... Yet more design adaptation ahead.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Just noticed... We have to have a fountain... Hmm... Yet more design adaptation ahead.

Even the smallest fountain will qualify Mark.

fidlerten
  • Options
    SuperPogimonSuperPogimon Posts: 2,429 Member
    edited April 2010
    I hope you choose Old Time Victorian fid :P I may participate

• Options
    peacemaker_icpeacemaker_ic Posts: 1,878 Member
    edited April 2010
    fid i think the Victorian one will be a good choice. there is different interpretations and depending on your skill level there are different types that will suite the various building levels

also ruthless is a master and you can always guide them there for inspiration
  • Options
    yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    edited April 2010
    Fid,

I also hope that you choose the Old Time Victorian challenge! That would be fun! :D
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Okay,

I've just heard from 3 pros and I hope I hear from more, but I'd also like to hear from some of the amateurs. Many of them may feel Victorians are difficult. Of course, I'm from the school that believes that if you are to learn, then you need to rise up to the challenge.

We've got a few days. I haven't quite decided when I'll kick off the new challenge. I like to give it a few days from the current challenge. Maybe the 23rd I think. That's not official. We'll see.

fidlerten
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Err.. Fid, mate..

Just to clarify a couple things; you said no structures aside from the required Restroom/s, this means no Gazebo, correct ?

Also, you've stated we need to include a "Chest Table" did you infact mean a "Chess Table" ? if not, what is a Chest Table please.. lol

Thanks.

Spec :wink:
  • Options
    garbuckle3000garbuckle3000 Posts: 1,840 New Member
    edited April 2010
    Well, the farm and ranch challenges sound almost the same. But saying that, I've never done a farm build, so that may be interesting for me.

Spectrefiend, I'm sure he meant chess table :D lol
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    My initial vote would be for the farm. But the Build-n-Share Challenge just had a farm challenge a week or so ago. Some of your regular entrants already entered the BnS Challenge and might not be interested in another farm so soon.

I am not a huge Victorian fan, but your challenges are all about stretching my range for me, so I am in no matter what you pick.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Err.. Fid, mate..

Just to clarify a couple things; you said no structures aside from the required Restroom/s, this means no Gazebo, correct ?

Also, you've stated we need to include a "Chest Table" did you infact mean a "Chess Table" ? if not, what is a Chest Table please.. lol

Thanks.

Spec :wink:

Hey Spec,

Gazebos are allowed. Gazebos don't suppose to have walls so I will allow them. Gazebos are kind of like bandstands but smaller. Many old time parks use to have bandstands, at least in America they did, I don't know about anywhere else.

Chess tables are in "Entertainment Items, the same place as the telescopes. It's a table with a chess set on it. You also need to add chairs on each side for them to work. There are two versions, one is more for outdoors. There are chess tables in the park in Sunset Valley.

fidlerten.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Well, the farm and ranch challenges sound almost the same. But saying that, I've never done a farm build, so that may be interesting for me.

Spectrefiend, I'm sure he meant chess table :D lol

Oh, did I say "Chest Table"? My bad!! I'll go correct it in a moment.

To me, there are allot of differences in a farm and a ranch. A ranch is some place that is mostly centered around horses. Farms are for all kinds of animals and for growing produce. Then there's dairy farms which are for producing milk from cows.

Ranching and farming are two completely different things.

fidlerten
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    My initial vote would be for the farm. But the Build-n-Share Challenge just had a farm challenge a week or so ago. Some of your regular entrants already entered the BnS Challenge and might not be interested in another farm so soon.

I am not a huge Victorian fan, but your challenges are all about stretching my range for me, so I am in no matter what you pick.

I didn't know that about the BNS challenge. I'm judging an old challenge; #33 as an alternative judge but normally I don't keep up with those challenges.

I suppose then a farm is out of the question. It's getting to sound like it's going to be Victorian. I also don't have allot of experience with Victorians but my best policy would be to download some great Victorians and do some walkthroughs. That will give me more of an idea of what they are about and the architecture.

Though I don't enter my own challenges, I usually like to build what I'm expecting others to build.

• Options
    edited April 2010
    Well, this is no good.. Apparently I can no longer make a Waterfall, which, unfortunately, I found out too late as I based my Lot around the premise of having one. I had left the making of said Waterfall till the very end and, well... yeah lol it didn't want to work, so now I have had to change everything (twice, I am a slow learner :P)

I hope they make it possible to create Waterfalls (easily, properly and efficiently) with a patch soon.

• Options
    edited April 2010
    Well, this is no good.. Apparently I can no longer make a Waterfall, which, unfortunately, I found out too late as I based my Lot around the premise of having one. I had left the making of said Waterfall till the very end and, well... yeah lol it didn't want to work, so now I have had to change everything (twice, I am a slow learner :P)

I hope they make it possible to create Waterfalls (easily, properly and efficiently) with a patch soon.

Hey Spec,

Are you entering the current challenge?

Also, I don't know if you realize it but there was one way to do waterfalls that is no longer possible after installing WA and there's another type waterfall that Jisgr8 figured out after WA.

Here is a tutorial on it:

http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=132506

Now this waterfall can only be built two different directions on a lot so it doesn't work everywhere.

fidlerten
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah thanks mate, I had seen that Tutorial, but being my luck, the 2 directions I needed to use for the Waterfall weren't allowed so I gave up on the Waterfall completely heh..

Yes, even though I only had 3-4 days to make an Entry, you'll get something from me. I guess mine will also just be under Amateur. My first Competition too hehe.

• Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah thanks mate, I had seen that Tutorial, but being my luck, the 2 directions I needed to use for the Waterfall weren't allowed so I gave up on the Waterfall completely heh..

Yes, even though I only had 3-4 days to make an Entry, you'll get something from me. I guess mine will also just be under Amateur. My first Competition too hehe.

That's great Spec, I've got you down as Entrant 11.

fidlerten
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Spectre, Some builders have had luck with the following technique when wanting water falls going a certain direction. You are right when making them on lots with the tutorial Fidler linked, they only can be built in two directions.

So save your lot to the library. Place it back into the lot as new from your library, but rotate the lot so the rest of it lines up with where you want the waterfalls in relation to your build, and you know you can build the waterfalls in those directions. Then save your lot to the library again after you have made the waterfalls.

Then place the lot again to a new lot but rotate it back to your original orientation. Some people have been having luck with the waterfalls staying up just fine this way, in directions they normally wouldn't be able to make them on a lot.
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Spectre, Some builders have had luck with the following technique when wanting water falls going a certain direction. You are right when making them on lots with the tutorial Fidler linked, they only can be built in two directions.

So save your lot to the library. Place it back into the lot as new from your library, but rotate the lot so the rest of it lines up with where you want the waterfalls in relation to your build, and you know you can build the waterfalls in those directions. Then save your lot to the library again after you have made the waterfalls.

Then place the lot again to a new lot but rotate it back to your original orientation. Some people have been having luck with the waterfalls staying up just fine this way, in directions they normally wouldn't be able to make them on a lot.

MeestorMark,

I appreciate you sharing that with us. I didn't know that.

Thanks
    fidlerten
  • Options
    garbuckle3000garbuckle3000 Posts: 1,840 New Member
    edited April 2010
    Ruh-roh... just realized the time is starting to tick down on this project. The chance of me finishing is iffy at the moment. I'm going to try my best tomorrow, because I know we only have 4 pro entrants, and we need all the entrants we can get... but don't hate me if I don't manage to finish it :D lol

I've just been extremely busy since getting back from vacation (between work and other events), and have been tired and not so much in the Sims mood during the spare time I've had. Maybe it's the challenge as well, as landscaping isn't my forte, and so maybe am not giving it the attention it deserves... :(
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Well that's no good Garbuckle, was looking forward to seeing yours aswell so hopefully you'll get it sorted - the Parks challenge is by far the most interesting for me, so I am very keen to see everyones masterpiece.

If, by chance, you cannot finish in time, I am willing to enter mine as "Pro" seeing as someone has to NOT win a medal :P Can't just have 2-3 people contending (not that there will be much competition from me hehe)

Goodluck all!

BTW; Mark, Thanks for the Tip, I had considered that aswell, but I was at the end of my tether with the Waterfall so I just cut it and moved on, but thanks.