Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Store vs Marketplace : what do you prefer ?

Hi,

How would you like to spend money to get more content in your game ?

Store vs Marketplace : what do you prefer ? 20 votes

Store : Maxis content
20%
drake_mccartyalanmichael1jcp011c2EnkiSchmidt 4 votes
Marketplace : User-generated content
0%
Both
20%
LeGardePourprecyncieSERVERFRAskip 4 votes
None
30%
crocobaurarhaliusblueyblueskyNinja-Dan22Atreya33pvrescue1 6 votes
It doesn't matter
0%
It depends on the content
15%
Lady_BalloraSeashoreLiviaCaerfinon 3 votes
I don't know yet
15%
ncisGibbs02OldeseadoggeDaWaterRat 3 votes

Comments

• Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    None
    Could you please elaborate on what you mean by marketplace? Is it some like curse forge but with paid content? Would a marketplace be organised by players or maxis?

Is the store something like the sims 3 store? Are we taking individual items on sale or set like kits?
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited March 28
    I don't know yet
    I don’t yet as I think the DLC model needs updating.

If kits = marketplace then no I wouldn’t want that. There’s quite a few things that could be merged into one larger pack for better value.
    1. Oasis Courtyard Kit is my favourite but there’s nothing else with a Moroccan vibe so it looks odd.
    2. Goth Galore looks the same as the Grunge pack. The clutter packs could’ve been joined.
    3. We need a bathroom kit with a toilet to build a house using only kits.
    4. Perfect Patio, Luxe and Backyard Stuff along with Desert Luxe could be joined as they all furnish the back garden!

Also the option to decline free items as I dislike many things that get added and they take up a slot (or have at least the option to delete the item from my game).
        I’m not one for taking free stuff if I don’t like it.
        There’s a painting with a yellow background, a head with big sunglasses and wild hair. I never use it.

I think there should be packs but also the option to buy individual pieces of CAS or furniture etc you like.

I like the Parenthood kitchen set, yet I don’t want that pack.

Sims 3 store had the option of buying things separately (except for stuff in the packs) but the Sim points system means you have to keep topping up.

I don’t want to keep buying whole packs just to get a few items. (For Rent as a sink caddy for dishes which I place all the time!)

Which way? Buying things directly or topping up points to get things. 😵‍💫🤷🏼‍♂️🤔
      Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
    5. Options
      LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
      edited March 28
      Both
      @Atreya33 wrote: »
      Could you please elaborate on what you mean by marketplace? Is it some like curse forge but with paid content? Would a marketplace be organised by players or maxis?

Is the store something like the sims 3 store? Are we taking individual items on sale or set like kits?

Sorry I thought it was explicit, it's like you said
      • Store : Content exclusively created by Maxis like The Sims 3 Store
      • Marketplace : CC/Mods created by players like CurseForge

Both Paid and Free content
      Both Individual items and sets
    6. Options
      Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
      None
      To be honest I just learned EA added the shopping cart to more (I suppose all) players. And they managed to do so without updating our game! I have no interest in spending more money in a store because then I would be proving EA right when they treat me like an idiot who buys anything if they just push hard enough. I liked some of the items from the sims 3 store and being able to choose individual items offered flexibility but it was an expensive store if I remember correctly. I think a store on top of kits is would be too much.

As for a market place I think the current practice with early access is a good compromise between paid and free CC/mods. Creators can get some compensation for their work but those simmers who can't afford it, can still enjoy the content with some patience. Paying for cc on top of the official DLC is too much for my wallet, even if some of the creators really deserve recognition for their work.
    7. Options
      SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
      edited March 29
      If I use money on games its official content, actual game content (not game money) bigger pack (not just one item) and I use gift cards I have to buy at physical store as payment method. Otherwise I buy absolutely nothing.

No in game purchases, continuous paid memberships, limited anything, microtransactions, online banking or buying from unofficial sources I don't have enough information about.

I fell into several of those traps as kid with other games so I very much avoid those like plague now

and keep my boundaries when it comes to buying anything online cause its all too fast and easy to make bad decisions and boy do I make lot of them especially at 3am to which thankfully I at least cannot act on while the gift card is at physical store which is not open at 3am.
      ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
      🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
    8. Options
      LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
      edited March 29
      Both
      To be honest I already spend a lot of money in digital content for Daz Studio, so if more content could be delivered for The Sims it would be the same thing.

By default the game have a too limited choice.
      When I look at the CC there are so many options and themes that should be available in the game, it's hard to said "No" to it.

I'm always hungry of content so Store/Marketplace could help me to make my game better.

For example more Male CAS content would be wonderful.
    9. Options
      cynciecyncie Posts: 4,656 Member
      edited March 29
      Both
      I actually liked the TS3 store, because I could get things I chose specifically for my game, a la carte. I mean, it was not just CC and BB items, but gameplay items, themed packs (the precursor to kits, I’m sure) and even whole worlds. I’m not the kind of person who will buy a whole pack just for the CaS or BB, unless that pack is on a really deep discount (I’m looking at you, Get Famous). So, having the option of picking up individual items that allow more customization is always good. My TS4 game is much more heavily modded than my TS3 game was, partly because I have to get those types of custom items exclusively from modders/cc creators.

I don’t mind having a central location for CC/mod downloads, either. It’s sometimes difficult to locate stuff, because it’s all spread out over personal sites, Patreon, TSR, MTS. In addition, you can’t always know if mods/cc are up to date, so it’s challenging. Central location sites, like CurseForge, that allow content creators to get something back for their efforts are fine with me. Plus, they make updating easy. The only problem I have with monetizing CC/mods is that I often download things that look great in the creator’s posed thumbnails, but look terrible in game. Or, you download a mod that winds up conflicting with other things, even when the creator said it wouldn’t. I wouldn’t want to pay in advance for something that I can’t use. As we say around here, you’re sometimes buying a pig in a poke. That’s somewhat true of the game, in general, but still.

I do try to get my content from sites that support the creators. I won’t do Patreon subscriptions. That can add up really fast, and I don’t use enough from the creators to warrant it, so I wait for the general release. If I’m using a lot of any one creator’s content, I’ll make a donation to help them out and show my appreciation.

Tl;dr: choice is always good.
    10. Options
      rhaliusrhalius Posts: 456 Member
      None
      Sims 3 store content was even more overpriced than the Sims 4 stuff packs and kits though.
      I honestly dread to think how they will make it worse with the next game. It's just not a good business model they have going on if they want to stay competitive in the market.

They really need to offer a lot more content for the money for starters. Actual new gameplay things in big expansions instead of a few objects with new interactions. I think Gamepacks where a terrible idea since one expansion for Sims 3 pretty much equals an expansion and two game packs in Sims 4.

I don't mind a sims 3 store like system but preferably not with any points, just money to make the prices clear and the pricing should be fitting for what you get for it.

They also should work with bigger base game updates, putting the crucial stuff to attach other things to for free so that it can interact with ALL expansions easily.
      Weather, university and an interactive acting career should all be in the base game.
      That way individual expansions could for example add new kinds of movies to make to that acting career. Like Journey to Batuu could let your sim play in a star wars movie, the vampire pack adds a vampire movie, and so on.
      And having the university in the base game would allow all careers added through expansions to also take part in it, maybe new study directions could even open up.

Might also leave more room for expansions that do new and interesting things instead of just releasing the same expected expansions over and over again for each instalment.
      Like if weather is already in the base game, they can expand on specific seasons a lot through expansions. Like some sort of world adventures pack with a polar expedition option where sims brave the elements at the arctic and could also enable snow storms to the available weather in a neighbourhood if you allow it. Snow could now be piled higher, houses could be snowed in.

11. Options
      blueyblueskyblueybluesky Posts: 1,373 Member
      None
      I prefer things the way they were before they added the stupid cart button, which I now somehow have. Don't fix what ain't broke, I'm already spending enough money on packs that just ends up free later down the track.
    12. Options
      OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
      I don't know yet
      Am part Scot and have the stereotypical trait of hating to spend money. So, the option that provides the most content for the smallest expenditure of funds.