Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For Rent Negative thread

Comments

• Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,477 Member
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 848 Member
    I haven't even opened my game in like 2 weeks. I foolishly put down some residential rentals before waiting for bug reports to come in and after experiencing some of the bugs like the obscene rent amounts, I just shut that baby down because I don't want to risk corrupting my saves. I do have backups, thank goodness, but who wants to play when they have to walk on eggshells in fear of boobing something up beyond repair.

I have never felt this way about a pack before, but I deeply regret buying For Rent. I was one of the many people who was SO excited to have residential rentals, and yet that, the MAIN FEATURE OF THE PACK is broken. Horribly, horribly broken. And then I finally decide today to update my game and maybe start a new save to just play around and what do you know, the idiotic EA app refuses to update no matter what I do.

I'm not saying I'm done with Sims 4, but I'm done for a while, at least until some REAL fixes come in. I'm so exasperated I could cry. EA, please, PLEASE do better.
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,298 Member
    Ea app needs a rehaul.Its hard to update.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 7,007 Member
    I haven't even opened my game in like 2 weeks. I foolishly put down some residential rentals before waiting for bug reports to come in and after experiencing some of the bugs like the obscene rent amounts, I just shut that baby down because I don't want to risk corrupting my saves. I do have backups, thank goodness, but who wants to play when they have to walk on eggshells in fear of boobing something up beyond repair.

I have never felt this way about a pack before, but I deeply regret buying For Rent. I was one of the many people who was SO excited to have residential rentals, and yet that, the MAIN FEATURE OF THE PACK is broken. Horribly, horribly broken. And then I finally decide today to update my game and maybe start a new save to just play around and what do you know, the idiotic EA app refuses to update no matter what I do.

I'm not saying I'm done with Sims 4, but I'm done for a while, at least until some REAL fixes come in. I'm so exasperated I could cry. EA, please, PLEASE do better.

Might be because so many are buying the new kits right now. I’m thinking of waiting to buy them till they fix the lot changing issue in for rent. I have only been playing practice saves since For For came out because of the issues. It’s not too fun playing a practice save I’m just going to delete.
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,031 Member
    edited January 21
    Sorry to hear of your build woes @CAPTAIN_NXR7. Bugs are very frustrating!

I’ve finally been able to get back into the game. I had to start a new game and not visit Tomarang. I’ve deleted the For Rent save files.

I believe many issues are to do with the residential rentals affecting build mode. Not only in changing lot types back and forth but rather the setting lot and shared spaces somehow glitching. I’m steering clear of all residential rentals until the game is properly fixed. 🙄🤷🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️

I’ve moved the Bun Ma in Tartosa just to play and see what they’re like. Other Tomarang residents I’ll move about as well. The only rentals will be the standard type.

Game running smoothly again! 😊

Liking Little Bistro Kit! French cafe vibes. 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    flauschtrudflauschtrud Posts: 246 Member
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7
    Wow, that must be really frustrating... :( Good you had backups!

And I'm really sad to hear about horses and dogs not using the shared spaces. That doesn't make sense and seems like a bug (they even have household templates with pets in the tenants pool after all).
    Would you care to create a bug report about that on AHQ?
    I make gameplay mods! You can find them at CurseForge.
    My first attempt at creating a Sims comic: The Parker-Goth Legacy.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 6,061 Member
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7 @flauschtrud I remember the gurus saying around the time the pack came out that horses weren't allowed in residential rentals because management doesn't allow them in apartments, or something like that.
    Clearly, they did not anticipate anything like your amazing castle exploit of the system, or they would have allowed them at least in shared areas!
    Sorry you lost your castle :(

• Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,946 Member

@CAPTAIN_NXR7

I learned to finish the lot completely and to keep a finished version on the gallery with the name I gave it. I rename the rental version with the word rent in front of the lot name. For example I have a lot on the gallery named "to the stars", the rental version is named "rent to the stars".
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,298 Member
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7

And I'm really sad to hear about horses and dogs not using the shared spaces. That doesn't make sense and seems like a bug (they even have household templates with pets in the tenants pool after all).

I heard horses are not program to be into rentals.
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,961 Member
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7

Now here's some info from tuning files.

Cats and dogs should sometimes come out of the unit it seems. There's a sim_filter file for it (the one that chooses a sim for the role or situation) and there are situations for cats and dogs. So cats and dogs not coming out might indeed be a bug (I need to test this out in-game).

However, horses are a different story. There are not only no situations and sim_filters for horses, but if you are playing as a property owner and filling in units, households with horses are coded to never appear in the tenant pool. In fact, while there might be tenant household templates with cats and dogs, there are none with horses.

I have more time next week. Then I'll go and check it out in my game. And if I find the same issues, I'll go make a bug report.
    Again, the test will only be done with cats and dogs only (I might include horses, but them appearing would be a bug).
  • Options
    LeucosiaXLeucosiaX Posts: 1,805 Member
    Ah man, it happened to me. 🤬

I converted one of my castles into a residential rental a while back, since I wanted all the servants and guests to have their own "apartments" and only play the one sim. I made sure to leave the dog kennels (pet bowls etc.) and horse stables in a shared space, so that I could at least see the animals and interact with them even when they're not part of my active family.

Well... that didn't go as planned. No horses, no dogs to be seen. The invisible bed chambers must have been the better choice for them. Boring, but you do you, horse.
    What did go as planned was the servants cooking (way, way too many) dinners in the kitchen and washing clothes in the wash tubs outside. Unfortunately none of that gave me enough satisfaction to leave it as a rental residential. That's when genius head over here changed the lot back to a residential. No problem, or so it seemed. Why was everyone making such a fuss? Must be a stroke of luck.

I altered the build slightly and kept saving the lot to my library as I always do, for I had plans to share it on the gallery entirely For Rent-FREE once completed.
    I was ready to perform a final test run and usually I do this by clearing all cache, creating a new, fresh vanilla save and plop the build onto a clean, fresh lot. Alas...that's where it all went wrong. Corrupt build. The game can't even deal with placing it on a lot. It's stuck on the lot placement loading screen. Every time I try. Never before did I have this issue, but all of a sudden I'm dealing with this absolute applesauce. Castle no more. Oh well.

Luckily I've learned the hard way from past mistakes and still have a copy of my (albeit somewhat incomplete) residential version from before I began to meddle with the For Rent features. It could have been many more build hours gone to 💩 just like that.
    In fact, when I started seeing reports of game breaking For Rent bugs I continued to save two versions of each build just in case: apartment version and residential version. I just never did that for the castle. I feel sorry for the folks that have lost entire saves because of this nonsense.

The state this pack was released in is an absolute circus and ofcourse we have to wait longer for a fix due to the holidays.
    I can fully understand that it is near impossible to release such a big game entirely bug-free, but once again we've entered the Sloppy Who Cares I've Got My Simoleons Realm here. I'd call that offensive.

Once this pack is fixed and ACTUALLY fit for release, they should add the time limited bonus items for all players, if people still dare to buy it.
    EA cannot expect folks to buy game breaking content within a limited time, just for a friggin' street grill. Are ye serious?

I'm sorry @CAPTAIN_NXR7 about your build. Glad you save regular version of the build all long. Backup save is the only insurance. I have been playing a few of the townhouses in San Sequoia only with the new rental system. For me the bug kicks in after 13 residential rentals. Find your max and stay within it until they fix the ep. I learned buy having to restore my game twice from a save prior to for rent, and everything has been fine since.

Some build that were designed for rent I used with the roommate system. You can have a maximum of 10 total with that system. You can max the friendship and then invite them over and as them to be s roommate. Just use the lock door system.

I really hope they fix it.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,515 Member
    Hey all, thank you for your comments, I appreciate it! ☺️
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7 @flauschtrud I remember the gurus saying around the time the pack came out that horses weren't allowed in residential rentals because management doesn't allow them in apartments, or something like that.
    Clearly, they did not anticipate anything like your amazing castle exploit of the system, or they would have allowed them at least in shared areas!

Ah, I didn’t realize horses aren’t allowed in residential rentals. That’s a real shame now. I would have liked more cross pack compatibility in that regard, since I’m not planning to always play the pack “straight”, if ever. If there are stables with horse beds in shared areas, they should allow horses, even if that means you can only place those items on ground floor level for clear access. This of course would make sense since we don’t have horse elevators. Yet.
    EgonVM wrote: »

Cats and dogs should sometimes come out of the unit it seems. There's a sim_filter file for it (the one that chooses a sim for the role or situation) and there are situations for cats and dogs. So cats and dogs not coming out might indeed be a bug (I need to test this out in-game).

However, horses are a different story. There are not only no situations and sim_filters for horses, but if you are playing as a property owner and filling in units, households with horses are coded to never appear in the tenant pool. In fact, while there might be tenant household templates with cats and dogs, there are none with horses.

I have more time next week. Then I'll go and check it out in my game. And if I find the same issues, I'll go make a bug report.
    Again, the test will only be done with cats and dogs only (I might include horses, but them appearing would be a bug).

Thank you for your insightful post and for testing this. I haven’t played as a property owner yet, so far I’ve only played rotationally as tenants- they’re all sims that I created and moved in.
    Come to think of it, the castle dogs did not show up at all, but I do recall seeing the neigbours’ cats and dog from another apartment block when I play tested it as one of the tenants. I’d spot the cats more often than the wee dog though.
    LeucosiaX wrote: »

I'm sorry @CAPTAIN_NXR7 about your build. Glad you save regular version of the build all long. Backup save is the only insurance. I have been playing a few of the townhouses in San Sequoia only with the new rental system. For me the bug kicks in after 13 residential rentals. Find your max and stay within it until they fix the ep. I learned buy having to restore my game twice from a save prior to for rent, and everything has been fine since.

Some build that were designed for rent I used with the roommate system. You can have a maximum of 10 total with that system. You can max the friendship and then invite them over and as them to be s roommate. Just use the lock door system.

I don’t even have that many residential rentals. The castle (6 units) and a small cottage ( 2 units) - which I placed in Henford - are the only ones in my history save at the moment. Yes, I’m very glad I still have an older residential back-up of that castle (and the cottage).
    Using the roommate system for some apartments is a good idea, although eventually I’d want to play rotationally and I don’t think we can play as roommates, but I never tried this. I might just stick to my 8 sims per lot until they fix this pack. Sigh.

Poor all of us.😅
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,971 Member
    I feel regardless of what packs you own; one should be able to use all the packs w/o limitation and one more thing about Sims 4 that is annoying.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    LeucosiaXLeucosiaX Posts: 1,805 Member

Ah, I didn’t realize horses aren’t allowed in residential rentals. That’s a real shame now. I would have liked more cross pack compatibility in that regard, since I’m not planning to always play the pack “straight”, if ever. If there are stables with horse beds in shared areas, they should allow horses, even if that means you can only place those items on ground floor level for clear access. This of course would make sense since we don’t have horse elevators. Yet.

Thank you for your insightful post and for testing this. I haven’t played as a property owner yet, so far I’ve only played rotationally as tenants- they’re all sims that I created and moved in.
    Come to think of it, the castle dogs did not show up at all, but I do recall seeing the neigbours’ cats and dog from another apartment block when I play tested it as one of the tenants. I’d spot the cats more often than the wee dog though.

I don’t even have that many residential rentals. The castle (6 units) and a small cottage ( 2 units) - which I placed in Henford - are the only ones in my history save at the moment. Yes, I’m very glad I still have an older residential back-up of that castle (and the cottage).
    Using the roommate system for some apartments is a good idea, although eventually I’d want to play rotationally and I don’t think we can play as roommates, but I never tried this. I might just stick to my 8 sims per lot until they fix this pack. Sigh.

Poor all of us.😅

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 I heard from the simguru talking about it , horses were able to be a part of rental system , and I was thinking to myself, how unrealistic in an urban context, but thought again, there may be a way in historical gameplay or farmland gameplay.

I believe the developers in the live stream say "pets" as well.

Is it just you don't seem them when you're playing other households within the lot?
    That is because it's generator for spawning in that ep kind of lame and not very active and spaces not as exciting and lit, as like let's say city living. I think they are trying to keep the engine at minimum because the game is already packed with a million stuff, from 10 years worth of dlc.
    The really should try more though.

While also when sharing a house, I found this when Dracula sublet rooms to the Royal family, they could not get to their room, even though I made a passage shared space to get there, they kept with the exclamation point bubble thought they could not get there. And only the vampires could due to their teleportation skills, but not by walking. A little buggy.
    Also with my apartments. Even thought I made certain apartments part fo certain apartments, sometimes in game, the game would change it and make a bathroom on one floor the bathroom belonging to an entirely other apartment. So annoying because they have to move out to change it.

I truly hope they fix it.
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,477 Member
    edited January 22
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,961 Member

Finally someone is writing about it! Ah, it's sometimes so annoying to feel like being in an echo chamber in these forums. In space to be exact (no one hears you screaming in space). Though yeah, I feel like YouTubers have also spread the word a lot, so yeah...

Poor all of us.😅

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 I heard from the simguru talking about it , horses were able to be a part of rental system , and I was thinking to myself, how unrealistic in an urban context, but thought again, there may be a way in historical gameplay or farmland gameplay.

Well, there is no restriction on moving household with horses into a rental unit. In fact, the rule system also includes horses (having a horse breaks No Pets rule). But yeah, the code just doesn't fill tenant pools with horses and you won't see horses come out of their home units on their own.

But yeah, cats and dogs are just more heavily involved into the system.
  • Options
    CiralindeCiralinde Posts: 81 Member
    Hello. I wanted to share my frustration. My save of many, many years has been corrupted and using the other save would set me so far back, I've lost my motivation to keep playing. I am starting from scratch and I should be making (better) backups next time. My fault - but still! Meh. Lesson learned I guess...

I like the potential of the pack, but it's just not working.
  • Options

Finally someone is writing about it! Ah, it's sometimes so annoying to feel like being in an echo chamber in these forums. In space to be exact (no one hears you screaming in space). Though yeah, I feel like YouTubers have also spread the word a lot, so yeah...

Poor all of us.😅

Well, there is no restriction on moving household with horses into a rental unit. In fact, the rule system also includes horses (having a horse breaks No Pets rule). But yeah, the code just doesn't fill tenant pools with horses and you won't see horses come out of their home units on their own.

But yeah, cats and dogs are just more heavily involved into the system.

Well, it’s nice to know I will be able to have the Roswell’s ( with horses ), be able to make their place with a few rentals then too after all. Of course I will have to wait till they fix For Rent, don’t want my 9 year old save corrupted.
  • Options
    Ciralinde wrote: »
    Hello. I wanted to share my frustration. My save of many, many years has been corrupted and using the other save would set me so far back, I've lost my motivation to keep playing. I am starting from scratch and I should be making (better) backups next time. My fault - but still! Meh. Lesson learned I guess...

I like the potential of the pack, but it's just not working.

Yes, this expansion has had quite a negative impact on a lot of people. I have pretty much stopped playing till they can fix For Rent.
  • Options
    gvftredxgvftredx Posts: 4 New Member
    > @Horrorgirl6 said:
    > This for rent negative thread

I don't like the explosions. The landlord never repairs anything.
  • Options
    charlene_adamscharlene_adams Posts: 3 New Member
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7 I have had the same issue. Gameplay totally ruined and builds totally lost. Having trouble placing the build even into a new game. So frustrating and I'm not techy enough to know how to get round it. Frustrating as hell not being able to get on with a game I was originally enjoying to now not being able to play at all without the game crashing on a load screen! Nightmare!
  • Options
    The_MercuriaThe_Mercuria Posts: 160 Member

I'm sure it's all been said, but I need to vent:

This DLC basically ruined my game.

- Clone an object or swatch and it takes up to 10 seconds now for the game to do anything. 10 seconds is a long time when it used to be instantaneous.
    - Delete a few walls and paint is removed. Having to repaint a balcony when you've deleted an inside wall is ridiculous.
    - So. Much. Lag.
    - I save often and make sure to upload lots to my gallery because since For Rent, the game crashes and I lose progress in all worlds.
    - I have a 4 unit apt build that had a fully furnished/decorated landlord apartment, a basic furnished apartment, and two empty apartments.
    This was designed so that tenants could furnish and decorate each of the two empty ones, and someone could rent the one with only basic furniture and buy what they wanted when they could afford it. Kinda like RL. I even uploaded it, and downloaded it to different worlds and it still had the same bugs.
    - The EP is so skimpy! It's too small, there are not enough lots to be called an EP. I can't believe how many tiny lots there are! The world is beautiful but I can't build apartments that can take advantage of the views/vistas. You can't make a significant balcony for views. Not all of us want to stick to the method of building that the sims franchise thinks we should. And that's the problem: We're forced to play only one way in that world, using their vision, not OUR own unique vision.
    - I can't go in the temple! What is that??? If you're going to give us an unplayable building, just make it background environment. Don't let us click on something that "looks" playable but isn't.
    - The night market that has 3 stalls open even though there are many more as background environment. Really? And where am I supposed to set up my cart?

I'm so disappointed in this pack that I'd be happy if it could be removed permanently. I'd like a refund, it's that bad. Was it play tested with all DLC installed? Or was it playtested as the only DLC? That's how it seems. I hate it, I can't play my game that I've invested over $1000 in.
    Please stop making new half finished stuff and just fix all the old broken stuff.

• Options
    GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,294 Member
    I was really looking forward to buying For Rent but at the last minute I decided that, very unusuallly for me, I was going to wait for a sale instead. I wasn't really playing the game very much and I was too busy trying to achieve 100% perfection in Stardew Valley (which I have now got after 338 hours hahah!) and I felt that I just couldn't justify £35 on something I barely play with anymore mainly because of glitches. After paying full asking price for Horse Ranch I just had been burnt way too many times. I am very saddened to hear everyone's struggles with this pack - this is truly shocking! I knew it would be a glitchy but this isn't funny anymore.
  • Options
    CiralindeCiralinde Posts: 81 Member
    I'm so disappointed in this pack that I'd be happy if it could be removed permanently. I'd like a refund, it's that bad. Was it play tested with all DLC installed? Or was it playtested as the only DLC? That's how it seems. I hate it, I can't play my game that I've invested over $1000 in.
    Please stop making new half finished stuff and just fix all the old broken stuff.

Yea... come to think of it, we did sink a lot of money into this game. It's really crazy actually. Normally, we don't pay this much for a game - only for a live-service perhaps, when we are paying a subscription fee (like a MMO). Does EA forget this and just grow complacent about it? It's just little bits over the course of 10 years, but we still do pay for what they put out. On sale or not, doesn't matter.

Sometimes it feels as though people who provide a service (I suppose that's what Maxis does here?) might forget the humanity behind the customers. I hope that hasn't happened. In the sense that we're just "a nuisance" when there are legitimate concerns over the loss of quality of the content we are offered nowadays.

Or that we're just here to be taken advantage of, because we want to like this game and there's maybe a bit of the sunken cost fallacy at play here. I do think I'm not going to invest in Sims 5 because of this anymore. Maybe I'll try the Sims 6 (probably retired by then anyways).

I hope the team actually still enjoys working on this project as well. I can't say much about what their work-culture is like. But it's usually not great at big companies.