Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Theory: leaks > premature release > bugs on release

mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,889 Member
My Wedding Stories: leaked, released shortly after leak, buggy
Werewolves: not leaked, released when good and ready, not buggy
High School Years + wants and fears basegame update: leaked, released shortly after leak, buggy

Thoughts?
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Options
    SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    You would have to go back further than that to see if there's a trend. There was a hint for Werewolves in the artwork for the backyard kit for kids though. Remember the glowing eyes in the bushes. Either way bugs have always been part of the Sims since the first iteration. I just want them to be fix. I don't mind the leaks but I don't think the two are connected, like if the dlc have bugs they'll just leak the game.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    IIRC Batuu and Eco Lifestyle were leaked, and they didn't have bugs
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    RoseQuartzRoseQuartz Posts: 164 Member
    Eco Lifestyle had really bad NAP-related bugs.
  • Options
    simsplayer86simsplayer86 Posts: 33 Member
    Eco Lifestyle had a lot of bugs!
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    Just looking at those three packs, my hypothesis is that Werewolves was aimed at a more niche audience, and that occult players are more likely to be gamers in general. Maybe gamers are expected to be less likely to impulse buy. Wedding and High School in contrast are more suited to a wider audience and were probably expected to sell like hot cake regardless of quality.
  • Options
    CopperBoltCopperBolt Posts: 132 Member
    My guess is that it has less to do with leaks and more to do with how experienced the teams are. EA has had a lot of staff turnover in the past few years and it's difficult for a newer dev to work on an older IP, so a team with a bunch of new devs are probably going to create a product that is less compatible with existing software than one who is very familiar with it.

I think this also reflects the level of gameplay each pack has. High School Years and Snowy Escape have fewer features than Cottage Living and Eco Lifestyle. Werewolves has more gameplay than My Wedding Stories and fewer bugs. I've never bothered to compare the names of the developers and see which ones repeatedly create a low bug/high gameplay software but I think that's what it is.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited October 2022
    The teams of TS4 and TS Mobile are busy with the project RENE for the next couple of years.

The Sims 4 is probably the lowest priority now.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    CopperBoltCopperBolt Posts: 132 Member
    The teams of TS4 and TS Mobile are busy with the project RENE for the next couple of years.

The Sims 4 is probably the lowest priority now.

These are done by totally different teams. IIRC Sims Mobile is done by a studio in Australia and Rene wouldn't have workers moving back and forth from TS4. However, TS4 has had smaller teams and outsourced a lot of their work in recent years.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,889 Member
    Okay, maybe it's more complicated than I thought. Interesting insights about staffing, I had no idea how any of that worked.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited December 2022
    All the studios reach a point where it's a waste of time to fix a game and prefer to move forward with a new game.
    Like BioWare did with Mass Effect Andromeda and moved to Anthem, gave up again and moved to Dragon Age 4.

It doesn't matter if the games are broken as long as players buy the new games.

At least Maxis is still trying to fix The Sims 4.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited December 2022
    Deleted.
  • Options
    EleriEleri Posts: 550 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    IIRC Batuu and Eco Lifestyle were leaked, and they didn't have bugs

The game play for Batuu was much more simplistic than HSY or Wedding Stories, with tons of rabbit holes. I don't own it, but I've seen a let's play.
    SnaveXs wrote: »
    There was a hint for Werewolves in the artwork for the backyard kit for kids though. Remember the glowing eyes in the bushes.

I don't think a vague hint like that counts as a leak, does it?
    -No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.