Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims Summit

Comments

• Options
    MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    I am happy about the new infants. I hope this means they will be removing those demonic looking original babies from the game >:)
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 29,003 Member
    troshalom wrote: »
    The section of the Behind the Sims Summit Event I watched where they celebrate simmers: I really wish they would not focus just on simmers under 30. The sims games have been around for decades. I didn't start playing until I was in my mid 30s, which means there are lots of simmers out there over 50. Would be nice if EA remembered us in their marketing, events and game development.

Hey, I didn't start playing until I was 50. I'm now closing in on 68. So, I am right there with you on being ignored for the most part. Not retired yet, we do still have some money to spend on my 'hobby'.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,625 Member
    Wow, 68, way to go @GalacticGal you got more than 10 years on me.

I found the summit to be somewhat cringeworthy and it must have cost them a lot more than having a couple of gurus sat in a room chatting to us. I know which I'd prefer lol.

As for Project Rene, I couldn't care less. I have no interest in something new until the something old is fixed.
  • Options
    SprighSprigh Posts: 62 Member
    Wow, 68, way to go @GalacticGal you got more than 10 years on me.

I found the summit to be somewhat cringeworthy and it must have cost them a lot more than having a couple of gurus sat in a room chatting to us. I know which I'd prefer lol.

As for Project Rene, I couldn't care less. I have no interest in something new until the something old is fixed.

As someone under 30 I can assure you we cringed too 😆 and those under 20 probably too… 😂
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,829 Member
    Project Rene didn't show anything to wow me. We are years away so there's not much to see. Concerned how far they will go with the online aspect of it. Also, if it's going to be on all platforms including mobile (gag) that's not good news for graphics. It's great more people can play. I'm just spoiled when it comes to graphics.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Well, it didn't tell us much, but it did confirm what most of us already instinctively knew -- that a new title is in development. The babies are not a priority for me, but they are for a lot of others and I am pleased that those people will be getting them. Overall, it's good, if not mind-blowing.
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 9,216 Member
    I had a chance to watch the stream while I did my workout on the exercise bike earlier and I have a new perspective and some thoughts.

- I did like the presentation style, but would love to see it again with an all the presenters being gurus before I say it should be the way to go from now on. It was a little too slick. The Sims seems like a topic that should feel a bit more relaxed, laid back, and shoot from the hip.

- I do genuinely feel more reassured that the heart of what so many of us love about simming feels safe. I have come in off the ledge.

- If I saw it correctly, it looks like the early beta versions of BB will identify CC items simply by mousing over the object? If that is right and makes it to CAS as well in the final version, Hallelujah!

- I'm still a bit baffled by this Overwolf deal. I have a lot of questions and some issues. I'd love to see more posted here from people who already use them. On the one hand I like the idea of them making it easier to find new creators, but I don't like the idea that every single piece of cc I access through them is going to require me to pay for it. I have trusted favorites that I support monetarily through Patreon. With this now there's the added need to keep track of who's getting donations through which site. I also have lots of creators that I can access for free. From what I'm reading Overwolf does not allow you to access anything for free. Maybe I've just gotten bad information or misunderstanding things. I look forward to learning more.

- I did come away from it feeling a lot more encouraged if not entirely at ease.

Confession time. A lot of what really scares me about this next iteration is losing the sims I already have. The cast of my story that I post on here has become like pixelated friends and family. As someone who struggles with depression and anxiety, they are a comforting presence. When I feel the black cloud coming over me, I can go spend time with my favorite sims and things aren't so bad. At times I'm scared that when TS5 comes along I'll lose all that. That's a big reason why I love TS4 so much and don't want this party to end. When I seem angry and on the rampage about it all, it's the fear talking.
  • Options
    So excited to eventually be able to use CurseForge for mods. I'm already an avid user for other games. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 848 Member
    @SimplyJen Perhaps you wouldn't mind filling those of us who never heard of overwolf before yesterday in on the deets? Is it true that you have to pay for mods? I don't play any games except the Sims so I'm unfamiliar with gaming in general. I've never paid for mods and I don't plan to start, so if this is a pay site, it's very bad news for me at least. I have no interest in engaging in what I think is called "microtransactions". My micro budget would protest.
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,360 Member
    edited October 2022
    Post edited by simgirl1010 on
  • Options
    @SimplyJen Perhaps you wouldn't mind filling those of us who never heard of overwolf before yesterday in on the deets? Is it true that you have to pay for mods? I don't play any games except the Sims so I'm unfamiliar with gaming in general. I've never paid for mods and I don't plan to start, so if this is a pay site, it's very bad news for me at least. I have no interest in engaging in what I think is called "microtransactions". My micro budget would protest.

The FAQ page simgirl1010 linked is a perfect source of info. I've never seen a mod with a pay wall on CurseForge. It's an easy to use optional tool for installing, updating, and even removing mods. It has a search function to find mods. You can still access your mods folder manually or use CurseForge instead. Easy option for those not so tech savvy or lazy like me. :blush:
  • Options
    SimplyJen wrote: »

The FAQ page simgirl1010 linked is a perfect source of info. I've never seen a mod with a pay wall on CurseForge. It's an easy to use optional tool for installing, updating, and even removing mods. It has a search function to find mods. You can still access your mods folder manually or use CurseForge instead. Easy option for those not so tech savvy or lazy like me. :blush:

That's good to know. I just asked Luthienrising for clarification over on her thread because before yesterday I had never heard of either company. I guess I made the mistake of looking up Overwolf first. Right there on their main page they say their job is to help you monetize your apps and mods. That says to me they are in the business of helping people make apps and mods that require micro-transactions. But then I looked at Curseforge and like you and Luthienrising mentioned they say everything's free and I was confused, and still am up to a point.

I trust you when you say it's all free. The rollout of this for those of us who are unfamiliar and likely to go searching could have been clearer. It was handled as if everybody knows who these companies are.
  • Options
    @simgirl1010 Thank you for the link.

@SimplyJen Thank you so much for the information. I'm definitely lazy and definitely not tech savvy, so if indeed it is free (and not loaded with malware, which is another point I've seen raised) then I'm cautiously optimistic.
    I trust you when you say it's all free. The rollout of this for those of us who are unfamiliar and likely to go searching could have been clearer. It was handled as if everybody knows who these companies are.

Yes, this so much.
    HcmCUds.jpg
  • Options
    @FatTribble23 If Overwolf’s name had never come up I wouldn’t have gone looking for them and it all would have been clearer. Things are making a lot more sense now.
  • Options
    @DaniRose2143 Yes, I've been doing some reading via the link simgirl 1010 provided and I do feel a bit better now. I suppose the only thing I'm concerned about now is if this website will block me because I have an ad blocker and malware blockers. I'm reluctant to turn those off for any website.
    HcmCUds.jpg
  • Options
    Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    If you use ublock origin, they typically don't block integral website features such as direct download, which is what CurseForge will likely just do.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,140 Member
    I was hoping for something more to glean from the Summit. But alas my mind was not blown, my excitement level remains at 0, and the only part that gave me a slight rise in my heartrate was finally knowing Sims5 will be released within two to three years. I feel as if I have been in a holding pattern forever as I avoid updating, purchasing new packs or even downloading free content. I love Sims4, and there are times when I want to cave and add new content. But the thought of fighting the bugs that always accompany new content, causes anxiety attacks that kill the notion my game won't implode if I pursue the idea of adding anything new. To the players who have been brave enough to update, purchase new packs and download free content, I admire your grit. But I cannot spend hours, days, weeks or months untangling problems and bugs, searching for mods, or beating my head on my desk in frustration. I guess all the past promises from EA/Maxis that were never fulfilled have made me overly cautious, so I keep my excitement in check. I just want to play the game. And the only way for me to do that is to avoid the new content that doesn't seem to be anything new, and seldom works. Once Sims5 is released I will stay with Sims4, mod it to the hilt, buy the packs I want, then play it without worrying about updates and problems getting in the way. Sorry, EA, but Sims5 will never be installed on my devices. After the convoluted mess Sims4 became, I am unwilling to start all over again when it is quite obvious what made The Sims franchise special is no longer a priority in EA's world.
  • Options
    Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,795 Member
    edited October 2022
    They saved the best announcement for last—better babies.

giphy.gif
    Post edited by Hearts4u on
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 6,098 Member
    @DaniRose2143 Well you'll still be able to play Sims 4 long after Sims 5 (or whatever) comes out, just as people are still playing Sims 2 and 3 today, so no need to worry about losing the sims you already have :)
  • Options
    @mightysprite I need to remember that what makes my cast of characters so special to me isn't in the game's code. It's in my imagination and the stories that come from it. I'm not someone who hates or fears change normally. I really don't know why this keeps freaking me out and making me feel like my characters are under attack. After watching the stream yesterday evening I'm not feeling nearly as anxious about The Sims 5.🙂 I still haven't seen a sim yet, but what I did see of the objects they aren't all that different in appearance from 4 at this point. I do think they are an improvement without being radically different. If the sims themselves are improved in the same way, then it will make recreating and adjusting to their new looks a much faster process.

My number one request for the team is that every single gameplay feature they make available in the multiplayer mode is fully available in offline mode without having to go online to use it. I want to be sure that the offline option won't be a hollowed out version of multiplayer. If we get that I'll buy TS5 at some point, probably when I finally have to replace this computer. I had to abandon TS3 when I got this current one because the 2021 hardware doesn't like the 2009 software, or maybe its the other way around.
  • Options
    CarpeNocheSimsCarpeNocheSims Posts: 158 Member
    I've gone from "No! No way!" about Overwolf to a wait and see attitude. I've read over their site, I have to admit that I'm impressed with the prize they're giving a creator. It's a life changing prize and I'm excited for whoever wins it. I read that the content is free to download and that many of my favorite modders will still be running their download sites as well. I was scared they'd all migrate to this.

What I'm worried about is how are they going to make money? It says that creators could make this a career. That's some serious money there. But it's free to download? So will premium content be locked behind a paywall? Will it be ad riddled to the point where it's practically malware? Where is the money going to come from?

Till I get the answer to the above? I'm on the fence and not all that happy about this new modding/CC platform.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,532 Member
    @simgirl1010 thanks for the link. Reading the FAQ makes me a bit more confident about this feature. But I am happy to know I can still use mods the old way. I have one or two small ones (including one I made for myself) which are unlikely to show up in overwolf but are important to me.
  • Options
    Overwolf is the part that confused me. They talk a lot about money and monetizing which gave me the first impression that mods and cc were being put in a store and wouldn’t be free. Not through them anyway. Now I see it’s actually Curseforge that we go through and they say they’re free.

It has the potential to be a good thing for people who are new to cc and mods. I’m a cc addict so I already have a small army of creators and modders bookmarked. My mods folder has ballooned back above 80GB after getting down to an anemic 30GB. Easier access to new stuff is bad news for my mods folder.
  • Options
    I get ads on my CurseForge app but they have never been intrusive or harmful. It's a small ad that plays muted to the side. 70% of ad revenue goes to mod authors.

I'd assume most large creators will continue to use Patreon alongside CurseForge.