Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will The Sims 4 Only Have Four Expansions Total?

Comments

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited August 2016
    Sigzy - My best advice - the ignore button is great.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,632 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Callum2000 wrote: »
    I don't think so, because we haven't gotten 1 ep per year. Yeah we have only had 2 in the two year lifespan so far, but they were both released in one year. This year has just been a little slow for reasons we don't know, and there might only be one this year. But that doesn't mean next year will be the same.

There will be only one this year. Look at the time, it's August, do you really believe they can make an EP from October to December? LOL

Are you thinking they stopped working on EPs between GT and now? Because there's never been any such indication.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    Polyrhythm wrote: »
    Wasn't culling to improve performance of the game? I use MCC and I have been playing the same save file for two years now (which I think is impressive in itself). I just had to manually cull the entire neighbourhood (except the Sims I like, of course) to decrease load times. I am playing on a high-end machine too.

It seems as though the ones that are most annoyed about culling are the ones who love homeless townies. I thought the game didn't cull townies who lived in a house? The same with relationship culling. Isn't there a criteria that needs to be met when culling relationships, so if you're familiar with the criteria, then it's possible to avoid it >:) ?

I agree there has been some sloppy implementation of culling, but overall isn't it avoidable in-game (not counting ghosts and family trees)? I don't understand why some people are so pessimistic about using mods here. Cities:Skylines is a game that could arguably be a 50/50 modder/developer experienced game and I don't hear any complaints about that, unless someone wants to correct me.
    The game will cull the relationships of even family members and sims that you're good friends with, and the only way to avoid it somewhat is to not play rotationally, which is pretty hard when it's a playstyle for many players.

Even though one of the criteria for relationship culling is to not cull those types of relationships? Sorry, I'm not trying to sound dense, but I'm not entirely familiar with how it works because of mods.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,632 Member
    Polyrhythm wrote: »
    Wasn't culling to improve performance of the game? I use MCC and I have been playing the same save file for two years now (which I think is impressive in itself). I just had to manually cull the entire neighbourhood (except the Sims I like, of course) to decrease load times. I am playing on a high-end machine too.

It seems as though the ones that are most annoyed about culling are the ones who love homeless townies. I thought the game didn't cull townies who lived in a house? The same with relationship culling. Isn't there a criteria that needs to be met when culling relationships, so if you're familiar with the criteria, then it's possible to avoid it >:) ?

I agree there has been some sloppy implementation of culling, but overall isn't it avoidable in-game (not counting ghosts and family trees)? I don't understand why some people are so pessimistic about using mods here. Cities:Skylines is a game that could arguably be a 50/50 modder/developer experienced game and I don't hear any complaints about that, unless someone wants to correct me.
    The game will cull the relationships of even family members and sims that you're good friends with, and the only way to avoid it somewhat is to not play rotationally, which is pretty hard when it's a playstyle for many players.

Even though one of the criteria for relationship culling is to not cull those types of relationships? Sorry, I'm not trying to sound dense, but I'm not entirely familiar with how it works because of mods.

Current bug, acknowledged
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Gruffman wrote: »
    Ninoochat wrote: »
    I take it you don't read the "what clubs have you made" threads in the GT forum, because you're really missing on the possibilities there.

See I was really happy about clubs, I even have a huge list of club ideas. But then you slowly set up everything in game, uniforms for your various janitors/mafia/teen swimming team/rival footballs team/cult/etc. But then a few in game days later you realize none of the clubs you carefully crafted are showing anywhere, oh surprise the game culled pretty much everyone and it's not automatically repopulating them.

And before someone jumps on this thread like a shark, yes I know about MCC, yes I know it stops culling and even have a nifty module to automatically invite club members. This is not the solution I want, I want EA to fix what players redeem broken.

Im still waiting for them to fix what was broken from Sims3.

Well to be fair - we can actually fix what is broken in Sims 3 - it takes a lot of work but the game is fully fixable - the same cannot be said for Sims 4. I know because I have ZERO issues with Sims 3 and I do not use mods - keep that in mind. I did all the hard work to physically fix it and keep it running like a dream. Just to add I also run a super computer which very much makes a difference in Sims 3 - even that means nothing to Sims 4. I run Fall Out 4 on Ultra.

What is fixable in TS3 that is not fixable in TS4? What's the context here?

BY the player is what I mean. Yeah Maxis could have fixed Sims 3 but didn't do it. But the player can fix the game without mods if they want to do all the work. First of all one does need a state of the art pc - that is pretty much a must. The majority of issues in Sims 3 is routing issues and breaks in the routing - the rest is a few troublesome Sims and a few troublesome buildings - like the school and gym combo buildings have issues and create issues. Removing parking lots in all the EA towns will vastly cut down on the abandoned cars issues. Things like that. But most of all you need to find all the routing issues and fix the areas creating the lag.

What's wrong with Sims 4 we cannot fix.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    NinoosimNinoosim Posts: 387 Member

As of now there is only 91 lots in this game. I don't want to fill half of those with "homeless townies" that I can never play or they will lose their roles. I'm not even asking for the moon here, just stop culling restaurant staff that I took time and money to train and don't cull anyone who is in a club. Make it a special "my pc can stomach it" check box or something. I don't mind culling for townies that serve no purpose, and I actually like relationship culling when it comes to random john does who fill up my relationship panel. Just wish there was a better filter in place.
  • Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    @Writin_Reg

Thats kinda a harsh comment. If you don't agree with someone, want to ignore someone thats all fine ... I don't know if you need to blast them while doing it ...
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I think they'll have away more, and the Sims 4 will outlive the others.

That's why I questioned the Sims from sims 2-sims 3 why are buy a game that's going to constantly be redone?

and then I understood because I didn't like the Sims until 4.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    @Writin_Reg

Thats kinda a harsh comment. If you don't agree with someone, want to ignore someone thats all fine ... I don't know if you need to blast them while doing it ...

It's not about disagreeing with something someone says - it is when someone keeps taking tiny bits of info - not even at times info from the proper sources and then twists it into something else as if it were law. It is a fact - that simmer is constantly doing that and why I choose to "ignore" them months and months ago instead of constantly confronting them like I was doing previously.

I have no issues with people who just differ in opinion. That is fine as long as they don't take actual facts and turn them into something else, which that simmer does a lot. But fine - I can see your point and will change that even if I don't want to. I respect you Gruffman for always honestly speaking up and being fair to all. It is a practice I need to embrace I believe and fail at it a lot. Sorry if it upsets you. I mean that honestly.

Okay off to rectify.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options

As of now there is only 91 lots in this game. I don't want to fill half of those with "homeless townies" that I can never play or they will lose their roles. I'm not even asking for the moon here, just stop culling restaurant staff that I took time and money to train and don't cull anyone who is in a club. Make it a special "my pc can stomach it" check box or something. I don't mind culling for townies that serve no purpose, and I actually like relationship culling when it comes to random john does who fill up my relationship panel. Just wish there was a better filter in place.

If they're not in a home mark them as played then?
  • Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    MasonGamer wrote: »

That's why I questioned the Sims from sims 2-sims 3 why are buy a game that's going to constantly be redone?

People buy the same Fifa game each year ;)
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    edited August 2016

So MasonGamer what are you saying? Are you saying you like the Sims 4 the way it is or are you saying - well it does need pets, or weather, or some of the stuff we had in former games of the series. I am just asking as I was not sure what your post meant.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    I take it you don't read the "what clubs have you made" threads in the GT forum, because you're really missing on the possibilities there.

See I was really happy about clubs, I even have a huge list of club ideas. But then you slowly set up everything in game, uniforms for your various janitors/mafia/teen swimming team/rival footballs team/cult/etc. But then a few in game days later you realize none of the clubs you carefully crafted are showing anywhere, oh surprise the game culled pretty much everyone and it's not automatically repopulating them.

And before someone jumps on this thread like a shark, yes I know about MCC, yes I know it stops culling and even have a nifty module to automatically invite club members. This is not the solution I want, I want EA to fix what players redeem broken.

Im still waiting for them to fix what was broken from Sims3.

Well to be fair - we can actually fix what is broken in Sims 3 - it takes a lot of work but the game is fully fixable - the same cannot be said for Sims 4. I know because I have ZERO issues with Sims 3 and I do not use mods - keep that in mind. I did all the hard work to physically fix it and keep it running like a dream. Just to add I also run a super computer which very much makes a difference in Sims 3 - even that means nothing to Sims 4. I run Fall Out 4 on Ultra.

What is fixable in TS3 that is not fixable in TS4? What's the context here?

BY the player is what I mean. Yeah Maxis could have fixed Sims 3 but didn't do it. But the player can fix the game without mods if they want to do all the work. First of all one does need a state of the art pc - that is pretty much a must. The majority of issues in Sims 3 is routing issues and breaks in the routing - the rest is a few troublesome Sims and a few troublesome buildings - like the school and gym combo buildings have issues and create issues. Removing parking lots in all the EA towns will vastly cut down on the abandoned cars issues. Things like that. But most of all you need to find all the routing issues and fix the areas creating the lag.

What's wrong with Sims 4 we cannot fix.

I don't really understand how this is different to TS4 when what you're describing is player intervention. That's also what a mod is. Ultimately player intervention, regardless of how significant, and mods lead to the same end result - a desired playable state by the user that is not achievable in the vanilla game. Regardless of whether you've fixed it or not, it's still a modification to supposed defects of the vanilla game, which is the actual issue here, right?
  • Options
    @Writin_Reg

It's not about disagreeing with something someone says - it is when someone keeps taking tiny bits of info - not even at times info from the proper sources and then twists it into something else as if it were law. It is a fact - that simmer is constantly doing that and why I choose to "ignore" them months and months ago instead of constantly confronting them like I was doing previously.

I have no issues with people who just differ in opinion. That is fine as long as they don't take actual facts and turn them into something else, which that simmer does a lot. But fine - I can see your point and will change that even if I don't want to. I respect you Gruffman for always honestly speaking up and being fair to all. It is a practice I need to embrace I believe and fail at it a lot. Sorry if it upsets you. I mean that honestly.

Okay off to rectify.

I can fully understand that, I really do. I have always disliked it when there is a whole wall of text, a whole discussion, a whole ... whatever and someone takes just one snip out of it and twist it into whatever agenda they want to go off on.

We can all argue opinions till we are blue in the face, we can't argue facts. It is always ... frustrating when people think their opinion is fact ... and now I think i am rambling.

And thank you for changing the first post.
  • Options
    doedeardoedear Posts: 303 Member
    maybe, and if they're planning to "pull the plug" as someone said, then i don't think they'll make a new sims. in fact i have a feeling this may be the last iteration sadly.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    doedear wrote: »
    maybe, and if they're planning to "pull the plug" as someone said, then i don't think they'll make a new sims. in fact i have a feeling this may be the last iteration sadly.

Oh no. I don't think it will end with Sims4. I know at my local wal-mart, they still sell Sims3 EP's and worlds, plus Sims4. If Sims3 is still selling ( and I am sure it is ), and even if Sims4 is barely treading water, it is a game that has zero competition, and still a money revenue.

My only hope is that when Sims5 is released, the powers that be learned from the Sims4 launch.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    shellbeme wrote: »
    I really am kind of hoping they go for longer than the standard 5 year life span.

The issue with that is The Sims 4 will be vastly outdated and feel very old at the 5 year mark. Interest is dwindled now, imagine what will happen in 5 years.

There's also the fact The Sims 4 cannot handle the basic functionality and features of a Sims game (time flow, genetics, social levels, etc.) and a good amount of people have downright left the game and returned back to its biggest competitor -- The Sims 3.

Evidence for this? :)

@cameronw209 Check out the bugs/feedback categories of the forum, and EA support section.

In my game, I can't play GTW properly. I've tried it on both a Macbook Pro and a gaming PC with a GTX 970 and other specs way over recommended specs, and my Sims freeze and stutter like crazy. I make my Sim do something simple like take a picture of a criminal and it takes them about 2 hours to do one Sim with all of the freezing. I thought the purpose of the closed world was to prevent this? I honestly get MORE freezing in TS4 than I do in TS3. It's insane.

Then there's an issue with time flow itself -- it's constantly resetting itself. Especially each morning. When all Sims are asleep, the timer goes REALLY fast, as it was designed, but then it seems to go too fast and loses synchronization with the simulation. It goes backwards to correct itself a ton. Then, before it is time to send my Sim to work, it constantly is getting messed up and jumps ahead. Time flow and time controls are such a basic feature of The Sims; how do you get this wrong?

Genetics are another issue, and the developers have acknowledged there is an issue. Over time, certain features of a Sim's face become distorted, primarily, the chin. It seems to shrink with each generation, and I've tested this in my game too. It's like certain features are just exempt from becoming influenced by genetics.

Social levels, or relationship bars, constantly reset themselves in my game, too, and this is an issue for many others. I can't enjoy playing the game with more than one household because all of my progress gets reset when I do.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    No.

Rachel said they aren't following the normal release schedule and instead will make packs "until it doesn't make sense anymore".

So they will make packs until they run out of ideas, or the ones they come up with no longer make sense for the game and are better off for a new game. So there's plenty of pack ideas that can fit into The Sims 4.

The typical "4-5 year schedule" isn't applying to The Sims 4 according to Rachel.

And seeing as she's head of Maxis now, there's even more weight to her statement.

I lost respect for Rachel. If shes truly in charge of it all shes really nessed up and I believe she owes us all an apology and an explanation

Why did you lose respect for the woman who has started turning The Sims 4 around, once she got in charge.

Your joking right?

Um, did the quality of the Sims 4 not go up when she became head of Maxis, in Sep 2015?
    Pretty sure once Devs were allowed to take their time with the packs, they have been much better. Which only started when she became head of Maxis.

But it's so much easier to point a finger and not do research right?
    That would be too hard, and pointing a finger is so much easier.
    As expected.

Um....not so much.

The thing is you don't know what the time line has been/is/will be. None of us know.

This is what was actually said. It's really a non-answer.

GC: I guess you’re not going to answer the question of how many more expansions there are to come?

RF: You know what, all I have to say is that The Sims 3 lasted for five years of content and still has lots and lots of fans. We have been improving and growing and building on The Sims 4 month after month after launch, and we will continue to do that until it doesn’t make sense.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/09/14/the-future-of-the-sims-4-interview-it-is-kind-of-like-life-5390869/#ixzz4Gh9bGbVl
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    edited August 2016
    I really am kind of hoping they go for longer than the standard 5 year life span.

The issue with that is The Sims 4 will be vastly outdated and feel very old at the 5 year mark. Interest is dwindled now, imagine what will happen in 5 years.

There's also the fact The Sims 4 cannot handle the basic functionality and features of a Sims game (time flow, genetics, social levels, etc.) and a good amount of people have downright left the game and returned back to its biggest competitor -- The Sims 3.

@cameronw209 Check out the bugs/feedback categories of the forum, and EA support section.

In my game, I can't play GTW properly. I've tried it on both a Macbook Pro and a gaming PC with a GTX 970 and other specs way over recommended specs, and my Sims freeze and stutter like crazy. I make my Sim do something simple like take a picture of a criminal and it takes them about 2 hours to do one Sim with all of the freezing. I thought the purpose of the closed world was to prevent this? I honestly get MORE freezing in TS4 than I do in TS3. It's insane.

Then there's an issue with time flow itself -- it's constantly resetting itself. Especially each morning. When all Sims are asleep, the timer goes REALLY fast, as it was designed, but then it seems to go too fast and loses synchronization with the simulation. It goes backwards to correct itself a ton. Then, before it is time to send my Sim to work, it constantly is getting messed up and jumps ahead. Time flow and time controls are such a basic feature of The Sims; how do you get this wrong?

Genetics are another issue, and the developers have acknowledged there is an issue. Over time, certain features of a Sim's face become distorted, primarily, the chin. It seems to shrink with each generation, and I've tested this in my game too. It's like certain features are just exempt from becoming influenced by genetics.

Social levels, or relationship bars, constantly reset themselves in my game, too, and this is an issue for many others. I can't enjoy playing the game with more than one household because all of my progress gets reset when I do.

So much of this! With ts3 its runs fine on my laptop (considering it was made after the game came out lol) i dont have as much lag as I do with ts4 and it also has tons if CC may I add (mainly clothes and hair and decoratives) where as with 4 I use the MC Command mod and just put back my hair CC because I got tired of EAs lol but still theres alwys something going on. I do like to play but I cant play as long as I want. When I played last night my sim just started the doctor career and she took her coworkers out for dinner. It was nice. But the time thing has gotten annoying. I did notice that her room in the basement ran alot smoother than upstairs in the first floor I wonder why? and I thought the birds left after 6? I still had some flying around at 11pm to midnight getting food.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options

Ok, I understand what you mean. But saying that people who happen to frequent an area of the forums that is specifically for problems and feedback represent the mindset of the entire community is a little questionable. I'm definitely not one of those people and I practically never visit that area of the forums, and how I feel about the game counts just as much as them.

• Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    We will probably get seven, along with game packs.
    The original Sims game had seven--back to our roots and all that.
    I need nine though:

Get To Work
    Get Together
    Generations
    Seasons
    University
    Supernatural
    Metropolis/Town Life
    Farm Life
    Pets

At this pace, TS4 would have to go on for six years.

Those sound like lovely packs, I would enjoy them too. My biggest problem is that I have serious concerns about the stability of the game. We continue to be plagued with that nonsense called culling (both sim and relationship), and now we're having problems with extreme relationship decay. It's been weeks since any SimGuru talked to us about this (or did I miss an update?), and frankly it's beginning to come across as though they avoid discussing this subject with us. I'm frustrated with the lack of communication, and I'm concerned that additional packs, no matter how awesome they are, will just make culling & decay more pervasive and game-breaking, even with mods.

If the SimGurus would knock down that Wall of Silence, and share the nitty-gritty as to why culling is so imperative, perhaps it would lessen my feelings of concern. The fact that they don't doesn't help, and I can't shake this gut feeling that they weren't able to accomplish that "foundation capable of fulfilling all of your desires." I'm worried that the foundation has some rotten footings, and that it will become more and more apparent as packs are added.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I'd like either City or Farms. Two opposites.
  • Options
    Icy_LavaIcy_Lava Posts: 5,461 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I'd like either City or Farms. Two opposites.

Ooooh Farms with big lots would be awesome.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    It's a good possibility it will. Some clues. Source: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/893117/live-service-explained/
    " For most of its life, The Sims 3 had one expansion team, and one store team - each group fairly siloed in the content it developed. For a period of time a second expansion team in Salt Lake was added, but the flexible schedule we have currently wasn't possible then."

"Certainly the biggest change for us compared with past Sims titles is the addition of Game Packs. Stuff Packs evolved to include game play, which means they also draw additional resources when developing them. The engagement team is another brand new thing for us, and they create their own fully realized features to add in free updates. Expansion packs, game packs, stuff packs, engagement features, and other outside factors all impact how we allocate internal headcount (who develops what, and when they do it), and where we fit each of those pieces of content in a yearly release schedule. Adding game packs and engagement features to what you've traditionally expected from The Sims has been an ongoing learning experience for us - both in terms of our development process, and in terms of understanding how each of these offerings are valued by players. Relatively speaking, a year and a half is a small sample size to fully see the impact of what are fairly significant changes for us at the studio. We'll continue experimenting, trying new things, and listening to your feedback, which is why some of you will recall me saying in the past to not look for patterns in the content we release."

Seems like Maxis is experimenting with the other packs and engagement features to see how the balance of those will outweigh the EP development.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member

So MasonGamer what are you saying? Are you saying you like the Sims 4 the way it is or are you saying - well it does need pets, or weather, or some of the stuff we had in former games of the series. I am just asking as I was not sure what your post meant.

I'm saying, the Sims 4 is more appealing than The Sims 2 and 3 was to me.
    When choosing a game I look at Visual Quality of Gameplay and Graphics that's a big deal for me.
    Then I look at the Genre and Plot: Since there Is no given plot With the Sims, and things are done in my will, it wins in that category. However I don't see the Sims as a "Life Simulation," I just see a Simulation, where Action/Adventure and fantasy can play a part in.
    then comes content and quality of features.

Don't misconstrue, The Sims 2 had neat features, as well as the Sims 3, however the games overall weren't designed to my likings. and I feel the Expansions and other packs could have been done a lot better.

I don't know, is this how it works? When the developers create packs, do they keep going until they run out of ideas, or until it doesn't make sense anymore?
    If you were to ask me I think they should have revisited existing packs... but then again why retouch when we can start fresh?
    Maybe that's their mind set. I kind of agree/disagree with it...

Like theres so much more they could have done for supernaturals.
    There's so much they could yo with Get to Work Also, However I think I read once they don't add onto packs, Make big Updates, because people bought it already.

Anyways to actually Answer your question... I do like the Direction The Sims 4 is going, and there are Loose ends to tie up, and there are definitely things I could pick about the game that I don't like. But when Players say the Sims 4 is almost 2 years, "Half way" through it's life. The game still feels young to me. and this long gap between Expansions, Is recuperation time or EP03 is just going to be a big one.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif