The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 aMAYzing Gift Exchange ~ DONE :)

Comments

• Options
    JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    edited April 2019
    ciane wrote: »
    Wow! I almost always build a shape and roof it and then put in windows. The windows dictate where the interior walls will go.

That's why it's so interesting to see what others do.

The front windows are usually dictated by the architectural style so I always have the roadside facade first, on the sides or back can be fudged as needed (with placement, amount or going for a different style but keeping the same color as the front) so the rooms look better from within. Unless I luck out, I don't often get to place furniture oriented with the front. It works out better with 'manor' style homes because you can have the hallway in the back and divide the rooms by windows. I do porch roofs early, but leave the main roof until I've figured out the floorplan. I hate to redo the whole roof later when I need to enlarge by a tile.
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,998 Member
    @friendsfan367 - The exterior walls are the ones you see from the outside and the interior walls are all the walls inside the house that you can't see from the outside.

@Jessabeans - I too usually start building at the front and work my way back; so it that respect, our starting point is the same. I love seeing and hearing how others approach a situation as well. It is interesting how different the process can be.
  • Options
    BreeMilesBreeMiles Posts: 8,913 Member
    I'm always all over the place when building! I have seen some simmers start at the front of the house and complete it before drawing the side walls, I'm amazed by them! <3
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    @BreeMiles Wow I would have never known that looking at your builds. They are always so cohesive. (and have this perfect cozy lived in feeling that I love)

@60smusicluvr I really like the end result of your controlled chaos kind of building style. Whenever I look at your build thread my eyes never know what to look at first. There is so much going on but somehow it all works together.

Also Ciane I loved your grandmother story. Its sweet that she takes an interest in your builds. Mine used to call the sims "playing that game with the little people."
    Post edited by Jessabeans on
  • Options
    MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    Me
    Walls out & in based on floor plan usage configuration, windows based on room(S) after walls

For me the bigger thing to remember is the landscaping, just erased something that is now going to wait for Sunday, & hopefully I've got time to completely finish this one before times up as I've a 4 day work week next week and laundry also needs to happen.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    HidehiHidehi Posts: 1,109 Member

It's great to read how different everyone's approach to creating for TS3 can be.

In my case most of my ideas take form when I start building. It's often just trial and error as I don't work with floor plans and just add stuff while I go along ... although I do google images of builds too to get some inspiration.
    I'm usually a 'get the outside done first' person, then lay the groundwork for the landscaping and finally get to the inside. I do get myself in quite a pickle sometimes ... especially as the inside of my builds tend to give my sims not a lot of room to maneuver and the sledgehammer is constantly in action ;) ... and oh dear ... decorating and colour choices are definitely not my strong point ... so building tends to be a rather slow process.

But none the less I have managed to nearly advance close to the half way mark with 2 of my projects. A 3rd is nearly finished and needs screenshots and a write-up ... I did plan 4 little gifts my dear buddy ... but I think with one of them I may have just about bitten more off than I can chew within the time frame :# . .... but I haven't lost hope yet ....

I hope this is enough of a progress report to clock in for an early 30th April check-in o:)

Thanks @ADWilson and Happy Simming to all :) x
  • Options
    LMC6255LMC6255 Posts: 940 Member
    @Jessabeans Thank you for sharing how you go about the creative process! I found it very informative and interesting and learned a lot from reading how you go about the different aspecets of your builds.... I remember when I started playing the Sims 3 back in 2017, I was looking at lots in the Exchange and I saw The Blue Parrot Bar and Grill and The Boathouse, and I remember thinking "Wow! who built that? You do have a very eye catching style and a flair for building!
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Hidehi wrote: »

It's great to read how different everyone's approach to creating for TS3 can be.

In my case most of my ideas take form when I start building. It's often just trial and error as I don't work with floor plans and just add stuff while I go along ... although I do google images of builds too to get some inspiration.
    I'm usually a 'get the outside done first' person, then lay the groundwork for the landscaping and finally get to the inside. I do get myself in quite a pickle sometimes ... especially as the inside of my builds tend to give my sims not a lot of room to maneuver and the sledgehammer is constantly in action ;) ... and oh dear ... decorating and colour choices are definitely not my strong point ... so building tends to be a rather slow process.

But none the less I have managed to nearly advance close to the half way mark with 2 of my projects. A 3rd is nearly finished and needs screenshots and a write-up ... I did plan 4 little gifts my dear buddy ... but I think with one of them I may have just about bitten more off than I can chew within the time frame :# . .... but I haven't lost hope yet ....

I hope this is enough of a progress report to clock in for an early 30th April check-in o:)

Thanks @ADWilson and Happy Simming to all :) x

@Hidehi You are ahead of me with the gifts.. I am still finishing my first gift, it is the foundation of my other gifts, therefore it takes the longest.. I am hopefully starting my casting tomorrow, I already created my sims.. I am very impressed with the how much you got done! I am certain you will be able to do that fourth gift! Also, you are a fantastic decorator! When you gave me Nexus Dreams, I remember when I saw the décor thinking wow, this is amazing! I also realized how much I still had to learn.. :D
    Post edited by LMC6255 on
  • Options
    ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    edited April 2019
    Checking in various people since I've noticed snippets of progress chatter among the lovely conversation y'all have been having!

April 30th Check-In
    60smusic
    Alpha
    Bree
    ciane
    FF
    Hidehi
    Jessa
    Kgaff
    LMC
    GranMamaD
    Prissy
    Mystik
    suzses

Still plenty of time for the others to pop their heads in :)
    Post edited by ADWilson on
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    LMC6255 wrote: »
    @Jessabeans Thank you for sharing how you go about the creative process! I found it very informative and interesting and learned a lot from reading how you go about the different aspecets of your builds.... I remember when I started playing the Sims 3 back in 2017, I was looking at lots in the Exchange and I saw The Blue Parrot Bar and Grill and The Boathouse, and I remember thinking "Wow! who built that? You do have a very eye catching style and a flair for building!

You are so sweet. I don't recommend my neurotic approach if you have something that already works for you, but maybe it will help if you are in a rut with an idea. Like the list Ciane posted earlier I tend to do better when I 'set strange rules.' I think creating within constraints (even arbitrary ones) can force creative solutions.
    I was too sleepy to find this last night, but those are the same lot. I couldn't decide how much of a 'dive' to make the dive bar so I did two versions of the decor. :s
    tumblr_otie71Dq5x1t81gyjo1_1280.jpg

Post edited by Jessabeans on
  • Options
    I think any way you do that works for you is great. If something isn't working, then you mix things up a bit and see where that takes you.

My current project started with the floors and went up from there. The roof changed the floors because you just have to fiddle with roofs. You can have a great plan, but the roof sometimes is a show stopper. I think I'll rebuild my shell all over from scratch tomorrow now that I think I know how I want the roof.

You all have a great night and I hope you enjoy the weekend, whatever your plans.
  • Options
    60smusicluvr60smusicluvr Posts: 1,982 Member
    @Jessabeans, wow! What a very interesting response! I love that you said that you take pictures of things you see in person. I love looking at my surroundings as well, but don't take that extra step. It does make me want to jump in game, however. :mrgreen:
    Jessabeans wrote: »
    @60smusicluvr I really like the end result of your controlled chaos kind of building style. Whenever I look at your build thread my eyes never know what to look at first. There is so much going on but somehow it all works together.

LOL! :D:D Perfect description. I'm trying to be a bit more tame and the first gift I made is affectionately named something something. You'll understand later . . . But now that I think of it, "controlled chaos" has a nice ring to it. Hmm . . . ;)

@Hidehi, your building style seems so similar to mine! B) I do everything in the exact same order and just sort of go with the flow and also worry about the amount of space inside, after I've created my box. :p
  • Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,436 Member
    i wonder if sims4 counts as a side project. my generation1 kids are teens and are now picking mates. well 4 are 2 were already set cause of the previous attempt. and 1 picked but i set his prefrence. is it weird that even though they have a game mom i feel like i'm a mom too, it sounds nuts.

Sure, it counts. If it gets you thinking in a different direction, then when you go back to your S3 project, you'll have a new perspective. Of course, doing the dishes might accomplish the same thing but wouldn't be as much fun. ;) As for me, what I did was slide into a side project that kind of goes with what I was *supposed* to be working on.

Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,436 Member
    @Jessabeans I like your use of the floor tiles to map out your lot. I may have to try that because I'm always squinting at the grid lines, trying to count out things, and invariably I get something off, which I hate.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    It's going to be another beautiful day here today, I think. Gma will go feed the birds at the park and Hubby will do some reenacting. So, I have the morning all to myself and the dogs. Maybe I'll get that problem with the roof ironed out today.

Someone mentioned earlier that (s)he could never figure out floor plans. The best bet is to halve the measurements and round to the nearest number. So, a room that says it is 11'11" by 8'10" means that you round up 11'11" to 12' and divide it by 2 to make 6. And, the 8'10" is rounded up to 9' and divided by 2, which becomes 4.5 or just 4 or 5 if it's not part of open plan living where no wall is needed. So, your room becomes 6 feet by 4 or 4.5 or 5 feet. This always works for me. (I usually round up as Sims need just a bit more space than people would.(
  • Options
    @ADWilson thanks for checking me in.. I am officially ready for the next step in this gift exchange.. I hope to finish everything I planned...
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    I always build with creative contstraints! When I do a CAW project, I seem like a deranged city planner! I actually create a folder for the world I am going to create where I plan every step involved.. I draw sketches, I make lists like you would not believe (textures, decorations, trees, bridges, etc) I also google for screenshots or photos for inspiration or at least some visual idea of what I want.. As well as reviewing different tutorials...I also have to plan my lots, lot types and the sizes.. Of course, plans change and the project often takes a life of it's own! As to lots in general, I pretty much have the same approach as Jessa and Ciane, and sometimes Hidehi, depending on the lot... That pretty much is my creative style in a nutshell..
  • Options
    ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend! Such pretty weather here ... blue skies, few wispy clouds and lots of sun shining all around.
  • Options
    KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    edited April 2019
    Hi @ADWilson and All! I'm checking in :)

I haven't had much time to spend posting here due to all the rain/thunder/lightning storms that have been passing through for the last two weeks. They have been one after the other then they are preceded and followed by wind, lots and lots of wind. We have trees and branches down everywhere :( Our ground is so soaked we are keeping close eye on how high it's getting. We need some dry weather.

Anyhow, due to all that rain, I have three gifts in the bin Buddy!! :) I am in the process of testing, photographing and fixing all the mistakes that only show up in the pictures, like -- how did that tree get up on roof?!?!

I enjoyed reading all the dog stories, before a storm hits here, mine gathers all her squeaky toys and takes them into the back bedroom, I guess she thinks that's the safest room.

I am also enjoying all the ways everyone goes about building. I would say I use a combo of all the methods, but I always do the roofing last so I don't have to keep changing it as the build goes on, I always change things as I go.
  • Options
    I finally am happy with the roof, so I can commence to plan out the rooms now. I decided not to start over but rather to keep going and just see how things work out.

Our spring already feels like summer. Hubby got a sun burn working outside yesterday (and that was supposed to be our coolest day this week).

Have fun with your builds and think about sharing your inspiration pics when you post your gifts. I'd love to see and hear everyone's approach then.
  • Options
    @Kgaff I hope you do get dryer wheather soon! I am glad you were able to use the time wisely and get most of your gifts done... I can relate to wind and rain since I live in area where we constantly read the reports from the huricane center daily, when it is August and September especially.. May you skies be friendly this weekend!
  • Options
    @ciane It is starting to feel more like Summer where I live also.. B) I hope this Summer offers some good weather! I'm glad your gifts are comming along... :)
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    @Jessabeans What I like about the Parrot Bar and Grill and The Boathouse was how you took one lot and turned it into two different venues, and succeeded in creating a different mood for each one... The design of the building is perfect for a beach venue! I thought that was very creative.. :) After seeing The Blue Parrot Bar and Grill I made a seafood restaurant of my own.. :D Due to the fact that I still had a lot to learn and I was not a good builder, my seafood restaurant had a lot to be desired.. :s
  • Options
    Well, I have finished all the building, but I have masses of CASting (to include wallpaper) and some landscaping to do.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    @LMC6255 That building is an amalgamation of things I liked about beach restaurants I went to in Flordia as a kid. The blue parrot matches the kind of decor I would see in casual restaurants on the beach with a similar style to the building. The boathouse decor was more the restaurants that overlooked the water but frowned upon wearing beach attire. Did you upload your seafood restaurant? I'd like to see it. I think we are our own worst critics.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top