Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SSD Almost Full - HELP!

My SSD is almost full - how do I move my game + CC to my backup drive without losing anything? Also, is there a massive difference between having your game run on SSD and just a normal HD?

I'm not the most tech saavy when it comes to computers, so I have no idea if there are other things that I can delete to make more room or not, so I figured that the best way to approach this is to move my game.

Anyone care to walk me through it?

Comments

• Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    Or would moving Sims 4 and Sims 2 Ultimate collection to my D drive be a better option and free up more space? @phoebebebe13 @DeKay
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    Depends on how big your D Drive is.

There's not much difference playing TS4 and TS2 on SSD or HDD. Possibly only the booting time for the games will be a tad bit slower on HDD.

If you are going to move your files, I suggest just copying your The Sims 4 folder (the one with the saves and mods and tray) and move it to the desktop.

Then uninstall it and make sure you change the path in your Origin to re-install the new file in the new drive.

I believe there's a faster way of doing it without having to uninstall the game, but I would suggest you do anyways if you have time and wifi. Maybe @rosemow knows the shortcut.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    DeKay wrote: »

There's not much difference playing TS4 and TS2 on SSD or HDD. Possibly only the booting time for the games will be a tad bit slower on HDD.

If you are going to move your files, I suggest just copying your The Sims 4 folder (the one with the saves and mods and tray) and move it to the desktop.

Then uninstall it and make sure you change the path in your Origin to re-install the new file in the new drive.

I believe there's a faster way of doing it without having to uninstall the game, but I would suggest you do anyways if you have time and wifi. Maybe @rosemow knows the shortcut.

@DeKay: My second HD (which is actually my Z drive) is 1TB. I've also got an external HD which is 4TB (but you can't put games on that, can you?) I don't really play TS2 and TS4, so I don't mind if they boot up slower than TS3.
  • Options
    This is what my drives look like right now.

26729581297_ef5abf736b_z.jpg

And my program files (under Program Files (x86))

41557113322_b97b402838_z.jpg

41557113402_aae6ec8355_z.jpg

Not sure if moving any of the files is a good idea or will help with space?
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
  • Options
    rosemow wrote: »
    Hello
    This link explains how to move your sims game to another drive without needing to uninstall , download and reinstall it again.
    https://help.ea.com/article/backing-up-and-restoring-your-origin-games

This explains how to move your documents folder.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYfNmGnbxNw

Thank you @rosemow! I'll have a look at the link and the video. Hopefully moving TS4 and TS2 off of my SSD will free up the space I need for TS3.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    aricarai wrote: »
    DeKay wrote: »

I believe there's a faster way of doing it without having to uninstall the game, but I would suggest you do anyways if you have time and wifi. Maybe rosemow knows the shortcut.

DeKay: My second HD (which is actually my Z drive) is 1TB. I've also got an external HD which is 4TB (but you can't put games on that, can you?) I don't really play TS2 and TS4, so I don't mind if they boot up slower than TS3.

Your 1TB Z drive should be okay. Yeah, you shouln't put the game in an external HDD.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited April 2018
    There may be a really good reason for this, but the three sims games alone (even with your user game folders) shouldn't really take up all of an almost 512 GB SSD like that. I suspect that you either have way too many saved games/backups or spare content stored on C that could be stored on one of your other drives or else something else entirely is taking up a lot of that space. It's usually players on 256 GB or smaller drives that have to struggle to keep enough space clear.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    igazor wrote: »
    There may be a really good reason for this, but the three sims games alone (even with your user game folders) shouldn't really take up all of an almost 512 GB SSD like that. I suspect that you either have way too many saved games/backups or spare content stored on C that could be stored on one of your other drives or else something else entirely is taking up a lot of that space. It's usually players on 256 GB or smaller drives that have to struggle to keep enough space clear.

That's why I shared my Program Files above @igazor - No idea what's safe to move and what's not. I do have a lot of saved games but all of my backups - screenshots, unused CC is on my other HD and external HD. How many saved games is too much?
    This is the issue with being a hoarder.
  • Options
    DinowCookieDinowCookie Posts: 951 Member
    Install a tool named CCleaner. It lets you "clean" your computer by removing unnecessary files to make a bit more space :smile:
    Visit me on the gallery! 😊
    EA ID: DinowCookie | No-CC Households & Rooms
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member

That's why I shared my Program Files above @igazor - No idea what's safe to move and what's not. I do have a lot of saved games but all of my backups - screenshots, unused CC is on my other HD and external HD. How many saved games is too much?

I only keep no more than 10 saves in my TS3 folder/launcher. i drag extra saves for safe keeping to my extra internal HDD. You can also drag your extra saves to an external , screenshots etc. How much CC do you have? You can move your downloads folder to a storage hard drive for safe keeping. It won't remove CC from the game. It will just free up space in your launcher. If you have to uninstall some CC, you can just move your download folder back to the game or just drag the specific cc item to the downloads folder to remove a specific item.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited April 2018

It's not the programs that take up drive space so much, up to a point anyway, it's the data.

As an analogy, a movie player program doesn't take up much space. A collection of five hundred hard drive stored full length, high def movies does and the movies you aren't watching don't have to be stored in the same place as the player. TS2, TS3, TS4 are the movie players. Your saved games and content are the movies. They don't have to all be in the same place at the same time since you can't play all of them at once.

How many saved games is too many depends on capacity and the size of the saves, so there is no one way to answer that. Like @phoebebebe13, I keep no more than 10 saved games actually in my user game folder (in Documents), but around 40 or 50 more in a folder outside of the game folder, and another 150 or so plus backups of the ones already mentioned on an external. But I only have TS3 going there, not TS4, and I only have a 350 GB partition to work with, the rest of my 2 TB internal drive runs OS X. So there is no real one size fits all storage strategy, except to say that the one that keeps leaving not enough space free on the drive running the OS and the games can't be the best one for you. ;)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    I've got 31 saves in my documents folder @phoebebebe13, @igazor. The rest are on my other HD. I'm going to follow the links above that @rosemow provided and move TS4 and TS2 over to the other drive.

Side note: If I've deleted a save from the main menu; how exactly do I restore it?
  • Options
    @rosemow - is the video that you linked for if I want to move my TS3 to a different drive?
  • Options
    @rosemow - is the video that you linked for if I want to move my TS3 to a different drive?

The video is for moving your whole documents folder to another drive, and so this contains both your sims 3 and Sims 4 user files.
  • Options
    So I moved TS4 and TS2 to my back up drive and now I've 47 GB free, but I feel like I need more...I have no idea what to move out of my Program Files without messing anything up. Any ideas?

Is CCleaner reliable?
  • Options
    Is CCleaner reliable?

Yes, definitely. My boyfriend who is an IT guy has been using it for years, as have I and many tech-savvy people I know use it too. ^_^

Here's the correct link to download it at: https://ccleaner.com/

• Options
    When you go to your control panel in Windows, you can uninstall some programs that you don't use anymore too :smile: may free up some space as well.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

The video is for moving your whole documents folder to another drive, and so this contains both your sims 3 and Sims 4 user files.

@rosemow - Oh so what if I just want to move my Sims 4 files over? I think for now I'm keeping my Sims 3 on my SSD
  • Options
    When you go to your control panel in Windows, you can uninstall some programs that you don't use anymore too :smile: may free up some space as well.

I did just have a little looksee and I uninstalled one program that I definitely don't use, but it didn't clear up much space. The other programs I either use or were on the computer, so I'm assuming that they're system files.
  • Options

Oh so what if I just want to move my Sims 4 files over? I think for now I'm keeping my Sims 3 on my SSD[/quot
    The Sims 3 and Sims 4 user files need to remain in the same Documents -Electronic Arts folder, on whichever drive you have the documents folder on.
    If you want to have your Sims 3 user files on your SSD, then the sims 4 user files will also need to remain in the Documents -Electronic Arts folder there.
  • Options
    Ok, so even though I've moved TS2 and TS4 to my other HD, my documents folder can still stay on my SSD and TS2 and TS4 should still work @rosemow?
  • Options
    Ok, so even though I've moved TS2 and TS4 to my other HD, my documents folder can still stay on my SSD and TS2 and TS4 should still work @rosemow?

Your documents folder can remain on the ssd and the games will still work.
  • Options
    Thank you so much @rosemow - very helpful!