Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I love genetics!

Comments

• Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    edited April 2018
    Fife and Brett's daughter, Beitris, is now a YA and ready to leave the nest :)
    40576759904_43e7950845_o.jpg

She rolled Hopeless Romantic on aging up and I let her keep it since her boyfriend also has that trait :)
    41261958222_af904b011d_o.jpg
    Post edited by Mikezumi on
  • Options
    edited April 2018
  • Options
    bebasimbebasim Posts: 581 Member
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    I love to see the genetics at play in this game. Although fairly limited, in that whole features are inherited rather than blended features, lovely blends are still possible. In my current save I started with Spike (blonde) and Jason (black hair). Although I end up with clones from time to time, I have been lucky in this save and both their kids share features from both dads. They were both born with Spike's blonde hair which I felt was unrealistic so I changed it. Although I don't change the looks of kids born in my saves, I feel changing hair colour is not cheating since the game often assigns arbitrary hair colours in any case (that horrid green/brown is the worst!).
    2dnlg7.jpg
    Their first born, Knox:
    2ypazgg.jpg
    Their daughter, Briar:
    20zsm5g.jpg

I would love to see how the genetics in other peoples' saves play out. Please feel free to share pics of your sim parents and kids :D

@Mikezumi - i feel like i'm following you around :blush: I saw the titled and as i am a genetics lover too had to read. I agree i too love the genetics and have found some interesting features creep up since i have been playing. I think this will be one i share to from time to time :)
  • Options
    @Mikezumi - I will share as soon as i work out why my postimages are not showing up for some reason. :/
  • Options
    Achoo89Achoo89 Posts: 608 Member
    edited April 2018
    Oh my goodness @Mikezumi Beitris & Duff are gorgeous...those eyes!!! I also love that you have a sim called Fife, it pleases my Scottish heart!.

I'm back playing my game, I took a break to catch up on my reading! I decided to go with Rowan from my kids that Stiles McGraw and Blair Wainwright had.

Here are the kids Dylan & Florance. ( I can't describe how much I love this interaction.)
    fKzo02A.jpg

I didn't grab too many picture of them as kids but Dylan has just aged up and he's rather handsome. And he's talking to his great grand-father Boyd.
    8JHcAkR.jpg

Florance aged up a while back. Apologies for the poor quality. It was during Dylan's birthday party.
    I haven't checked what she'll look like, there is still hope lol.

ncefpSL.jpg

Darlene McGraw ( formally Bunch) I think she the only one from the Bunch family along with Ethan who doesn't age up to have a Voldemort nose.
    tAxLiuw.jpg

And crappy pictures of Rowan, cause why not!.
    0jbd78m.jpg

EDIT: I'll have more time tomorrow so I will try to post better pictures of them all!
  • Options
    @Achoo89 Thank you :) I am using a Scottish naming theme in this save :)
    The peek-a-boo interaction is probably one of the cutest in the game :)
    Dylan does look good!
    Darlene doesn't look bad at all!
    Congrats to Rowan on being chosen as heir :)
  • Options
  • Options
    SorokasteSorokaste Posts: 19 Member
    I even imagine how different dog breeds or horse breeds would turn out if you cross breed them, so of course I love to see how the babies of my favorite couples turn out. <3
    ...except recently, where I've been trying desperately to have a baby with the dad's skin color, but it's always born looking exactly like the mom, and I have tried 12 times now I don't know why this is happening... :(
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    @Sorokaste Because like in real life, sometimes one parent's genes are stronger than the other. Though that doesn't mean a child can't come out looking like a parent with the weaker genes. Just a much lower probability, if a probability at all.

For example in my Rumbaa family, only one child out of 14 in total came out with the mother's skin complexion.
    Screenshot-281.jpg

I suppose even with skin tones, a dominant color could be recessive and a recessive color could be dominant. Though, some of my Sims kids have a combination of both parents skin tones. Genetics are complex like that. While some say TS3 genetics are wrong and/or doesn't make any sense, I think it makes sense to me. It's about biology/genetics.

And speaking of, I forgot when you install The Sims 2 there is a mini-game to play and one of the tidbits of information mentions that is is possible for a blue-eyed and a brown-eyed parent to have a green-eyed child because of a recessive trait. So that confirms that TS2 also had recessive traits Sims could inherit.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    SorokasteSorokaste Posts: 19 Member
    > @Deshong04 said:
    > @Sorokaste Because like in real life, sometimes one parent's genes are stronger than the other. Though that doesn't mean a child can't come out looking like a parent with the weaker genes. Just a much lower probability, if a probability at all.
    >
    > For example in my Rumbaa family, only one child out of 14 in total came out with the mother's skin complexion.
    >
    >
    > I suppose even with skin tones, a dominant color could be recessive and a recessive color could be dominant. Though, some of my Sims kids have a combination of both parents skin tones. Genetics are complex like that. While some say TS3 genetics are wrong and/or doesn't make any sense, I think it makes sense to me. It's about biology/genetics.
    >
    > And speaking of, I forgot when you install The Sims 2 there is a mini-game to play and one of the tidbits of information mentions that is is possible for a blue-eyed and a brown-eyed parent to have a green-eyed child because of a recessive trait. So that confirms that TS2 also had recessive traits Sims could inherit.

I'm playing TS3. :) But I thought I read somewhere that because of the almost infinite colors of skin, eyes, and hair, no color is more dominant than the other? :o My standing theory to why the kid keeps looking like the mom is that it was the mom who initiated the "Try for baby" option, and that the kid has a higher probability to look like her. Don't know if that's true though... I'm currently in the experiment stage of this theory.
    I shall return with results.
  • Options
    @Deshong04 Your Rumbaa family is lovely.

@Sorokaste Sorry you are having no luck with having a child with the father's skin colour. I've never tried to get a specific skin colour for my sim kids as I am only concerned with their facial sliders.
    Good luck with your experiment :)
  • Options
    GoulsquashGoulsquash Posts: 715 Member
    I'm loving my current household that I started with premade Twinbrook townie Jenni Jones-Brown. For those who don't know, she starts the game pregnant with Goodwin Goode's baby. Here's pictures of Jenni and Goodwin for reference

40459783074_41f75f15fe_h.jpg
    40550147994_cbdb152267_h.jpg
    Apparently I have taken a grand total of 2 pictures of Goodwin, and this is the only one that shows his face.

They had a baby boy named Dirk (who's the toddler Jenni is holding in her picture). He grew up very handsome I think. He's my heir.
    40276419235_9c3f7ba242_h.jpg

Goodwin had other plans about being with Jenni though, so she eventually (and by eventually I mean before Dirk was even born) married Dudely Racket, pictured here.
    39361929690_b89af83d95_h.jpg
    And as you can see by the toddler he's holding, they had a little boy as well, named Dustin.

I apparently don't have any pictures of him as an adult that show his face, but he looks almost the same as he did when he was a teen.
    41127834482_63d0dbead9_h.jpg

After Dudely passed on, Jenni attended one of Goodwin's parties. One thing led to another and now they have a teenage son named Drew.
    27568447878_534e0d4d87_h.jpg

At this point in game both Dirk and Dustin have 3 daughters each, I'll have to go find Dustin's daughters to get pictures of them though.
    My Blog - Currently updating Aurora Skies!
  • Options
    @Goulsquash Thanks for sharing pics of your family :) I see Drew got Goodwin's eyes! I believe I saw Goodwin's eyes in my game recently. I placed a tweaked version of Goodwin when I populated my town and the sim I saw would have been his great-great granddaughter.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    @Goulsquash This is my tweaked Goodwin and a look at him gender-switched. I always do a gender switch so that I can see if children of the opposite gender stand a chance.
    37114989563_53d99ec16b_o.jpg
    37114988533_8b095a9597_o.jpg
  • Options
    GoulsquashGoulsquash Posts: 715 Member
    @Mikezumi your Goodwin is very handsome! My sims could probably benefit from your tweaking, one of the female Racket cousins inherited some very masculine features, but I can tell its her from a mile away!
    My Blog - Currently updating Aurora Skies!
  • Options
    @Goulsquash Thanks :) The only Racket I kept was Shark but even he got a lot of tweaking before he was fit for my game ;)
    Here's Shark in my game
    36971342134_2ea863351b_o.jpg
    Sinbad Rotter also got the treatment but I actually preferred him as female and placed a female version of him in my game.
    37077691594_71bd9232c8_o.jpg
    Sinbad as female. I added makeup after I took this pic.
    23934337228_8556cb1400_o.jpg
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    Sorokaste wrote: »
    > @Deshong04 said:
    > @Sorokaste Because like in real life, sometimes one parent's genes are stronger than the other. Though that doesn't mean a child can't come out looking like a parent with the weaker genes. Just a much lower probability, if a probability at all.
    >
    > For example in my Rumbaa family, only one child out of 14 in total came out with the mother's skin complexion.
    >
    >
    > I suppose even with skin tones, a dominant color could be recessive and a recessive color could be dominant. Though, some of my Sims kids have a combination of both parents skin tones. Genetics are complex like that. While some say TS3 genetics are wrong and/or doesn't make any sense, I think it makes sense to me. It's about biology/genetics.
    >
    > And speaking of, I forgot when you install The Sims 2 there is a mini-game to play and one of the tidbits of information mentions that is is possible for a blue-eyed and a brown-eyed parent to have a green-eyed child because of a recessive trait. So that confirms that TS2 also had recessive traits Sims could inherit.

I'm playing TS3. :) But I thought I read somewhere that because of the almost infinite colors of skin, eyes, and hair, no color is more dominant than the other? :o My standing theory to why the kid keeps looking like the mom is that it was the mom who initiated the "Try for baby" option, and that the kid has a higher probability to look like her. Don't know if that's true though... I'm currently in the experiment stage of this theory.
    I shall return with results.

I know you are playing TS3, that is why you are posting in TS3 section of the forum. The point of mentioning TS2 is to bring forth information that the previous game, the one that introduced aging/generations/genetics did have dominant and recessive traits related to real life genetics/biology. Therefore, TS3 follows that same formula. "For eye color, hair color, and skin tone, each parent has two genes. When a baby's genetics are determined, each parent gives a randomly determined gene for eye color, hair color, and skin tone." -http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Genetics

Being random makes sense to imitate each spermatozoon and ovum having different genetic information based on each parent's genes. And yes, under TS3 it says something about the game not having dominant/recessive traits and being more simplified which I don't believe. Because I trust my eyes, what I'm observing in-game and what I know and learned about genetics. Of all the things TS3 did exclude from TS2, genetics wasn't one of them.

Also, it doesn't matter about the color wheel since an algorithm could still detect which color would be more dominant than the other based on color intensity, etc. What TS3 lacks is an actual hair dye feature. Because "dyeing" a Sim's hair will change their DNA and means any children born thereafter has the chance of inheriting the unnatural hair color. Which is why I make sure to keep track of my Sim's true hair color if I'm going to dye it and manually change the kid's hair color if they inherit it.
    Screenshot-198.jpg
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    So I didn't create this Sim - his dads, Dane and Donovan, did (with the help of a mod), which is pretty new territory for me. Just aged up to teen last night, and wowza!

The dads, doing things that lead to having kids like this:

GkdL5G2.jpg

Ean as a toddler, and as a child:

ka0FGoQ.jpg

gciIxa5.jpg

Ean now:

alODJd8.jpg

I think he's a keeper. :D
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    edited April 2018
    Allan's back from Military School and he's now a Young Adult.

Allan.jpg

...and Dad and Mom have got a potential lined up for him. Fumiko...uh...that is...if they get along. The Wakayamas have asked the Chikamori family to foster her until she can get her feet under her in Riverview. :D Y'know...financial independence versus arranged marriage. Hmmm. Wonder how that will go over.

Fumiko.jpg

Hmmm, wonder what genetics will wring out for Generation 3? :neutral:

GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    @Nikkei_Simmer Allan's got a nice strong face and Fumiko is very cute! Looking forward to seeing their kids :)
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I love this thread! Some of your genetics and sims are stunning. It does intrigue me how sims turn out :)
    As for the pets comment above someone mentioned, i did the 50 foal challenge and that in it self was very interesting. I look forward to trying cats and dogs one day too :)

I finally managed to dig up my first family (my sim self and hubby sim self :P ) I was doing a 50 foal challenge at the time so my children were happening a lot, as i love genetics we ended up having 3 sets of twins and 3 sets of triplets (thank god it's sims and not real life :neutral: )

My Mystique family
    famtree1.jpg
    Children L-R: Row1- Nikki, Ethan, Brooke, Nathaniel, Jasmin
    L-R: Row2 - Keeanu, Eloise, Lucas, Jonathan, Evan
    L-R: Row3 - Robbie, Harmony, Nicholas, Stephan, Nikolai

I do have images where i have names on them but i couldn't find it, as the game did crash on me after i completed this challenge i lost a lot of the data, thankfully some sims i was able to save. I will have to re do this one day with names, it surprises me how i remember them all :blush:

Freeman Family - Daughter Brooke's family from Mystique clan
    freeman1.jpg
    Husband Brandon Freeman - Brooke Freeman
    L-R: Children - Aria, Ava, Nathan, Alexandra

Roberts Family (Aria is My SS's Grand daughter)
    roberts.jpg
    Husband Garth Roberts - Aria Roberts (Mother My SS Granddaughter)
    L-R Children: Tori, Marilyn

Carr tribe - (Eloise is one of my SS daughters)
    carr1.jpg
    Father: Fabian Carr - Mother Eloise Carr
    L-R Children: Shania, Wilson

Evan was the one who continued the challenge for me so his family got extended also
    evansclan.jpg
    Evan married Jesse Wilkinson
    L-R Children: Morgan, Elvis, Amber, Jaala, Jada

Amber his daughter married Paul Whelan
    whelan1.jpg
    L-R Children: (first batch was quads and all girls) - Opal, Venus, Genevieve, Cosette, Caspian, Oliver, Joshua, Boris

I just couldn't die in my 50 foal challenge which was a relief so i got married a 3rd time :open_mouth:
    wolfgang1.jpg
    Wolfgang tribe
    3rd husband - Brad Wolfgang
    L-R Children: Autumn, Mitchell, Dannii, Kahlan, Richard

• Options
    @bebasim Wow you tortured your simself with all those kids! LOL
    They're a good looking bunch of kids :)
    The grandkids turned out great too!
    One husband and all those kids wasn't enough for you! LOL You had to go back for more husbands and more kids! What a hoot!
    Thanks for sharing your family - they are lovely!