Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My Game Keeps Flickering

Hi my name is Dre and I am having an issue with the Sims 3. Recently when I go to play my game in full screen mode, it does this uncontrollable flickering. I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the game but the issue still isn't fixed. Understand that I am operating on the lowest graphics possible so I don't think that's the issue.

I had a similar issue with the Sims 4 where the screen would tear, but that was easily resolved by checking what I think was vertical rendering or something like that. There is no option to do that with Sims 3.

Below is a video displaying the issue.

https://youtu.be/49r2o5tyiJo
TNhwLG.jpg

Comments

• Options
    NichaedemusNichaedemus Posts: 16,905 Member
    Hi,

The feature you are referring to is called Vertical Sync, or V-Sync for short. Since TS3 has no in game option to enable V-Sync, it will need to be enabled via your video graphics driver control panel. Which graphics device are you using?
    When you need help with The Sims 3 or The Sims 4, be sure to check out the Master Help Thread today!
  • Options
    andrevivey92andrevivey92 Posts: 30 Member
    Hi,

The feature you are referring to is called Vertical Sync, or V-Sync for short. Since TS3 has no in game option to enable V-Sync, it will need to be enabled via your video graphics driver control panel. Which graphics device are you using?

Thank you for your quick reply. My response is late because I have been busy.

I don't know much about computers, but I am using Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400 and the driver version is 20.19.15.4835

TNhwLG.jpg

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Hi,

I don't know much about computers, but I am using Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400 and the driver version is 20.19.15.4835

Your video card is integrated with your processor. it's not designed to run 3d games like the sims. It's designed for light computer tasks. You won't have a Vsync option for intel cards .The sims 3 does not have vsync.

How many and which ep's are you trying to run on the sims 3? Some ep's are more powerful than others and may be straining your video card. Screen tearing can happen when a video card can't render the game properly because the computer hardware is too weak for the game.
  • Options
    SemaviLadySemaviLady Posts: 526 Member
    edited March 2018
    @andrevivey92 - Wiki has a nice chart put together by simmers which includes a large collection of graphics chips and graphics cards evaluated for the game by simmers' experiences.

The large color coded chart might better help users to better understand what is going on with with the game when one has Intel integrated chip and not a graphics video card that meets the game specifications.

Scroll down and search - Intel HD 4000 at this page. It doesn't name your chip specifically but from the chip numbers there, you can get an idea of the hardship your computer is having --- and how, by limiting your game a bit more to just a few expansions which are named on the chart, you might get better playability. It could also prevent the computer from burning out too quickly and becoming a brick. :|
    http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_System_Requirements

The yellow areas of Maybes on the chart range quite a bit and it may seem surprising that it does, but this is because each component that makes up a computer's hardware contributes to the power of the overall system. So the parts you may have heard of such as the amount and type of RAM, the CPU's build and purpose (some are not built for gaming). all these and other parts supply functionality that helps complete the picture of a computer's ability to play the game.

Cheerleader_by_CookiemagiK.gifI've owned the TS3 Store since Feb 2015-thanks to the help of many other simmers
    ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ ☆★☆ My Page ☆★☆-♞- TS3❣
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    @SemaviLady The list of video cards that can run the game is for desktop not laptop. I suspect OP has a laptop . Laptop hardware is weaker than desktop hardware. You can't compare laptop hardware to desktop hardware unless you have higher end gaming laptop
  • Options
    SemaviLadySemaviLady Posts: 526 Member
    edited March 2018
    Thanks @phoebebebe13 - While I already knew that, I neglected to make that important point in my earlier post. :/Desktop Graphics Card Compatibility and Recommendations is after all the title of the page headers immediately above the chart. :smiley:

The Intel 4400 is also used in desktops according to Intel, but as can be seen via the chips listed above and below its range, it already falls below the specifications for TS3 even with a better CPU in a Desktop.
    SPAnNiV.png

Many Simmers to whom I've shown the original chart immediately gain a better understanding of the importance of their hardware.

Thanks so much for all you do for our community and making your point.
    The core issue that should not be forgotten, is that specifications for TS3 have been based on Desktop performance.
    Post edited by SemaviLady on
    Cheerleader_by_CookiemagiK.gifI've owned the TS3 Store since Feb 2015-thanks to the help of many other simmers
    ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ ☆★☆ My Page ☆★☆-♞- TS3❣
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited March 2018
    To get away from the Wikia/MTS laboratories for a moment, not that the information isn't extremely valuable (always has been), perhaps we could mention players' experiences out "in the field," so to speak.

Some with an Intel HD 4000 series for integrated graphics are fortunate enough to get all TS3 with all 11 EPs running just fine on medium graphics settings on a desktop with a strong enough processor and plenty (more than 4 GB) of RAM hence the yellow "Maybes" on the chart. Of course, "just fine" is subjective and they clearly will not be able to push their games as far or for as long as those with dedicated cards can.

On a laptop with similar sounding specs, maybe so but usually only with the earliest few of the EPs.

With a weaker processor and not enough RAM in either case, not so much and even base game only might be questionable, if they can even get that going. As already said, different players' experiences and expectations will vary. This all pretty much does agree with what the charts are saying.

We don't yet know anything about the OP's hardware specs other than the integrated graphics chip series.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Hi,

Your video card is integrated with your processor. it's not designed to run 3d games like the sims. It's designed for light computer tasks. You won't have a Vsync option for intel cards .The sims 3 does not have vsync.

How many and which ep's are you trying to run on the sims 3? Some ep's are more powerful than others and may be straining your video card. Screen tearing can happen when a video card can't render the game properly because the computer hardware is too weak for the game.

Weirdly though, I played TS3 plenty of times on this laptop and I played with all expansions with little issues other than occasional lag.
    TNhwLG.jpg

• Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    I'm not seeing the flickering in the video. What is the time stamp in the video when it's happening? Is there another game you can test to see if it happens like Sims 4?
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Hi,

Weirdly though, I played TS3 plenty of times on this laptop and I played with all expansions with little issues other than occasional lag.

Heat could be an issue. Are you on laptop? As your saves get larger the game could become more problematic. An integrated video card will have issues with this game especially if your trying to run all eps.

Looking at your video are you playing IP? That world is very messed up and needs to be fixed before playing. You do also need a good computer to run it. ( I'm not seeing the flickering in the video like Simplyjen stated above )

Can you post your computer specs please

windows key + R key will open your run box in the lower left hand corner of your computer. In the runbox type DxDiag, hit ok ,let it load and save. The DxDiag will be saved in a text file in your documents folder. Please upload the DxDiag text file to https://pastebin.com Once you upload the DxDiag to pastebin, you can post the pastebin link with your DxDiag here. Thanks
  • Options
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    I'm not seeing the flickering in the video. What is the time stamp in the video when it's happening? Is there another game you can test to see if it happens like Sims 4?

I don't have a good video of the flickering....I thought I did.

The flickering did happen similarly with the Sims 4 but that stopped....but it's also happening with the Sims Medieval as well.
    TNhwLG.jpg

• Options
    SemaviLady wrote: »
    @andrevivey92 - Wiki has a nice chart put together by simmers which includes a large collection of graphics chips and graphics cards evaluated for the game by simmers' experiences.

The large color coded chart might better help users to better understand what is going on with with the game when one has Intel integrated chip and not a graphics video card that meets the game specifications.

Scroll down and search - Intel HD 4000 at this page. It doesn't name your chip specifically but from the chip numbers there, you can get an idea of the hardship your computer is having --- and how, by limiting your game a bit more to just a few expansions which are named on the chart, you might get better playability. It could also prevent the computer from burning out too quickly and becoming a brick. :|
    http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_System_Requirements

The yellow areas of Maybes on the chart range quite a bit and it may seem surprising that it does, but this is because each component that makes up a computer's hardware contributes to the power of the overall system. So the parts you may have heard of such as the amount and type of RAM, the CPU's build and purpose (some are not built for gaming). all these and other parts supply functionality that helps complete the picture of a computer's ability to play the game.

Sadly, I uninstalled all EPs and this issue is still occurring with just the base game.
    TNhwLG.jpg

• Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    If you can't capture it and it happens with other games then it's possible it could be your laptop's screen. If you have the correct cables... Try hooking the laptop up to either a TV or monitor then see if the flickering continues. There are guides via Google search explaining how to do this.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Hi,

Heat could be an issue. Are you on laptop? As your saves get larger the game could become more problematic. An integrated video card will have issues with this game especially if your trying to run all eps.

Looking at your video are you playing IP? That world is very messed up and needs to be fixed before playing. You do also need a good computer to run it. ( I'm not seeing the flickering in the video like Simplyjen stated above )

Can you post your computer specs please

windows key + R key will open your run box in the lower left hand corner of your computer. In the runbox type DxDiag, hit ok ,let it load and save. The DxDiag will be saved in a text file in your documents folder. Please upload the DxDiag text file to https://pastebin.com Once you upload the DxDiag to pastebin, you can post the pastebin link with your DxDiag here. Thanks

Okay, thank you.

file:///C:/Users/andre/Documents/DxDiag.txtfile:///C:/Users/andre/Documents/DxDiag.txt
    TNhwLG.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2018
    @andrevivey92 - I'm afraid we cannot work with a link to a file on your own C drive. The dxdiag report file needs to be uploaded to pastebin.com and a link provided to that. You can use a full pasted in Internet hyperlink now that you are a Full Member of the forum. It should look like https and then pastebin.com/somestuff

Alternatively you could paste the text of the report into responses here, but that would require doing so section by section as the full report would be far too long to fit into one response. Usually that's more difficult, not easier though.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    igazor wrote: »
    @andrevivey92 - I'm afraid we cannot work with a link to a file on your own C drive. The dxdiag report file needs to be uploaded to pastebin.com and a link provided to that. You can use a full pasted in Internet hyperlink now that you are a Full Member of the forum. It should look like https and then pastebin.com/somestuff

Alternatively you could paste the text of the report into responses here, but that would require doing so section by section as the full report would be far too long to fit into one response. Usually that's more difficult, not easier though.

Sorry, when I put the file into the pastebin "new paste" box it took me to a page with that URL.

https://pastebin.com/qrNFD4qn
    TNhwLG.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Got it. I'm really sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but vertical sync is not the problem. I would strongly recommend not playing TS3 or TS4 on that laptop at all. These sims games are not what we would call highly demanding by 2018 standards, but they do have demands and they can be brutal if not met. This laptop is designed for light office/school related tasks and web surfing, maybe streaming video. Not for playing graphics intensive games. If you force it to run these games, you risk overheating and damaging the device beyond repair.

The processor (CPU) is not strong enough to run much more than the TS3 base game plus maybe two or three of the earliest EPs all on the lowest graphics options settings. For most players, LateNite and those that came after wouldn't even startup on that one, you were fortunate to get that far and further with it for a while. Not sure about TS4, possibly base game only? Others here can correct me on that. It is too tight on RAM at 4GB, as we already knew it does not have a dedicated graphics card, and I'm scratching my head over this to be honest, it has way too small a hard drive for much other than cloud based file access and you are already running out of space on C. There is a much higher capacity E drive showing up, which is great for other file related uses and storage, but it appears to be an external USB connected drive. You can't really run games like TS3/4 externally, so that doesn't help in this case.

As far as sims games go, I do think this one could handle TS2 very well if that's any consolation and if you can free up more space on the C drive to work with. It's of course a much older game but it still has a loyal following.

What I've described above is what we would expect this computer to handle. In many cases, players' experiences vary. But that you could run TS3 with all EPs for a while doesn't mean that you should or it would be expected to continue being able to do so at any level of acceptable playability.

I hope you can find a stronger computer on which to play, if one is within reach. Pricetags should never really be the total determining factor, but to do a comparison this looks like an under $350 (US Dollar) laptop if it were new. New ones that are strong enough to run the entire game would start at $900, much higher for high capacity Solid State Drives (SSDs). Desktops run cheaper and don't need as much power in their components to achieve the same performance.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Same with TS4 @igazor. That laptop can maybe handle the base game and a few eps. That computer is not strong enough to handle Cats and Dogs. EA did up the requirements for that EP.

@andrevivey92 I agree with what igazor is saying. That laptop is more like a tablet and meant to be used with cloud storage and cannot handle playing the sims 3 and 4. It would be even worse with your laptops weak hardware playing on an external USB. Do you have another computer to play on? If not I suggest thinking about investing in a computer that meets requirements . The sims 3 is a complete game and the sims 4 is not complete. The games complete have the same requirements though the games are programmed differently . If you have a computer that meets requirements to play the whole sims 3, that same computer should survive all future add ons for the sims 4 . These games do require a mid range gaming desktop. Laptop hardware is weaker than desktop hardware. You need a higher end gaming laptop to equal the game's requirements on desktop

If your interested in a computer that meets requirements, someone in tech sims 3 or 4 can help you with that.

Sorry for the bad news
  • Options
    SimmerCamCamSimmerCamCam Posts: 3 New Member
    Hello! Don't know if you've fixed your problem but I had the exact same problem. I disabled fullscreen mode and the flickering completely stopped. I'm no computer genius though so I'm not sure if that will work for you! Hope you find a way to fix it :)
  • Options
    Hello! Don't know if you've fixed your problem but I had the exact same problem. I disabled fullscreen mode and the flickering completely stopped. I'm no computer genius though so I'm not sure if that will work for you! Hope you find a way to fix it :)
    The simmer on this thread provided his computer's specs to us, we can still see them on Pastebin, and the conclusion was that it was far too underpowered to be playing TS3 or TS4 on it without the danger of overheating and damaging the machine. I'm afraid that disabling full screen mode would not have been a helpful solution for that player, or at least not a long-lasting one. Their computer's processor was too weak, they did not have enough RAM, and they had integrated graphics rather than a dedicated card. I hope they found a way to play the games they want as well, but likely it wouldn't have been on that computer.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    thekikibeethekikibee Posts: 1 New Member
    Hey Dre, I was having a similar issue with my PC and managed to fix it.

I had been able to run TS3 with no issues whatsoever for a couple of years and then I came back to the game after not playing for a while and suddenly had that awful flicker. I'm running the Intel 4600 chipset, SSD, faster processor and more RAM but same idea.

Anyway, long story short, after reinstalling, enabling v-sync (which can be done on the Intel chipsets, you can google it because apparently I can't post a link), removing mods and EPs and all that stuff I still had the flicker.

On a hunch I clicked to disable fullscreen mode in the game's graphics settings. NO MORE FLICKER! The game is windowed now but still fills the available screen and I don't mind a bit. Maybe that helps you, or anyone else having this issue with these chipsets - I hope so!

I'm pretty sure the issue was from a recent Windows or Intel update. Best of luck.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    That may have been worth a try.

But the OP on this thread was running the game on a 1.7 GHz i3 U-series processor and a weaker integrated chip, in addition to only 4 GB of RAM. Pushing TS3 too hard on that hardware set was never going to yield a good result and could stand to overheat and damage their laptop. It was just not made for the kind of stress that this game, even without all the heavy EPs, puts them under.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    klovesjenklovesjen Posts: 361 Member
    Hello,

I had this issue too, it was almost like coloured tv static appeared in lines across my game. My game did not used to have this issue!

I fixed it by rolling back my graphics card driver. Just thought I’d leave a note incase anyone else has this issue...

I have an intel core i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHZ with 8 GB ram iMac running win 10 pro 64 on bootcamp, with an AMD Radeon R9 M380 graphics card.

To rollback go to device manager, find the card (mine was under display adapters), double click it, click on driver, then click on roll back.