Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is the deal with the "stop stealing" on the gallery?

What the title says. If i make something and put it into my game it is mine. If i make a sim and share it on the gallery it is no longer mine it is called sharing. What i choose to share is the property of EA. Anyone can take it off the gallery change it around or not and reload it to the gallery with the changes they have made. All the same as i shared it. So to call that stealing is not correct. No one has taken anything. The game sometimes deletes your library so you put it on the gallery so you can keep it. I feel that if you choose to share your creations (and thank you for them) you need to realize that you are then giving them to EA and they are fair game for me or anyone else to download. Yeah you worked hard on them i saw them i liked them i downloaded them i am trying now to understand why people feel this is stealing.

Comments

• Options
    x_Always_Heart_xx_Always_Heart_x Posts: 567 Member
    edited January 2018
    Obviously if you share something you intend for other people to use it too.

The stealing they are talking about is downloading that content, doing something with it and then re-uploading it to pass it off as their own. Ive stopped using the gallery for this reason.
  • Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    I think the issue people have with it is downloading a creation, changing one or two things and then uploading as your own and not even crediting the original uploader.

If I upload a house and someone re uploaded the same thing without credit, I'd be pretty mad.

If someone took my house, unfurnished it and completely redesigned the wallpaper, the floors, the furniture etc, then I probably wouldn't care.

Thats just it when someone reposts something the original creators name is on it.
    If it is changed in a significant way like lets say i take 2 single sims put them as married then add a toddler from this creation and a teen from another an upload it so i dont lose jt when the game screws up my library then that is not stealing. That is the chance you take posting it to the gallery.

• Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I do a lot of downloading from the Gallery and remodel the houses -- sometimes converting a bedroom into a home office or adding a pool to the backyard (sometimes I'll take a house that's on a 30x20 lot and put it on a 30x30 or 40x30 so I can have a larger yard) or I'll add a basement for extra space without having to add onto the top of the house. I've never reuploaded one of my remodeling jobs though -- they're solely for my own gameplay.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options

The stealing they are talking about is downloading that content, doing something with it and then re-uploading it to pass it off as their own. Ive stopped using the gallery for this reason.

I dont blame you if you feel it is stealing then dont put it on the gallery. If you choose to put it on the gallery it is then owned by EA and since EA owns the game and advertise that you can download creations from others then they become free for all to use.
  • Options
    surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member
    I dont really get it either. I mean i can understand why someone would be upset.... But like..... Not for longer than 5 minutes.
    "Awh man! Someone reuploaded my house and only changed the bathroom! What a weirdo." Would be my thought. Then I'd move on because i dont see why it would matter. Its just a game, after all.
    Or, "someone reuploaded my house and didnt change anything!?!?.... What a weirdo"
    It does not effect your life at all, it is just a game.
    There are some really elaborate houses on the gallery! Beautiful ones that I'm sure took a lot of time. But the player is taking their time to build because the enjoy it. They choose to share it on the gallery... For what reason? So others can use it. If someone downloads the house and makes improvements, then reuploads it, why does it matter?
    (I'm ignoring the fact that some people maybe are "stealing" just for likes and clicks, for their own satisfaction. Which is probably a mental illness. And really, just ignore it)
    What it comes down to, though, is the player doesnt own EA or the gallery. Once its there, its there. The gallery is awesome, lets not turn it into something it doesnt have to be (a popularity contest)
  • Options
    I do a lot of downloading from the Gallery and remodel the houses -- sometimes converting a bedroom into a home office or adding a pool to the backyard (sometimes I'll take a house that's on a 30x20 lot and put it on a 30x30 or 40x30 so I can have a larger yard) or I'll add a basement for extra space without having to add onto the top of the house. I've never reuploaded one of my remodeling jobs though -- they're solely for my own gameplay.

I have had my game mess up on me about 4 times already where for various reasons some my own fault and others not and i have to start over. I lose my library. There are sims i enjoy playing and i have redone them to my liking. I put them on my gallery with the creators name still there so i do not lose them for good.
    I do not consider that stealing.
  • Options
    FirandeFirande Posts: 816 Member
    jimmysnan wrote: »

I dont blame you if you feel it is stealing then dont put it on the gallery. If you choose to put it on the gallery it is then owned by EA and since EA owns the game and advertise that you can download creations from others then they become free for all to use.

While this is ultimately true, it still feels sucky when others pass off your creations, which you worked really hard on, as their own. I put a lot of work and thought and effort into my Sims, whom I consider more like characters than just Sims, and I'd honestly be angry if I saw them reuploaded by someone else without any mention of me. I don't use the gallery much, though, so luckily I don't have to be afraid of others stealing my Sims. I might put them on there without description/hashtags for me to reupload should I ever lose them, tho. One of my Sims, whom I uploaded solely for this reason and without hashtags or a description, immediately got 16 downloads when I uploaded him and I was like Oh, OK... :sweat_smile: It does flatter me, though! And I think that ultimately, it's better to just take it as a compliment and move on than to fight it as, like you say, it's not actually illegal for Simmers to do this so there is ultimately not much you can do about it.
    Origin ID: Fierande | Simlit | Tumblr

fgQIHTb.png
  • Options
    surraaaaaa wrote: »
    I dont really get it either. I mean i can understand why someone would be upset.... But like..... Not for longer than 5 minutes.
    "Awh man! Someone reuploaded my house and only changed the bathroom! What a weirdo." Would be my thought. Then I'd move on because i dont see why it would matter. Its just a game, after all.
    Or, "someone reuploaded my house and didnt change anything!?!?.... What a weirdo"
    There are some really elaborate houses on the gallery! Beautiful ones that I'm sure took a lot of time. But the player is taking their time to build because the enjoy it. They choose to share it on the gallery... For what reason? So others can use it. If someone downloads the house and makes improvements, then reuploads it, why does it matter?
    (I'm ignoring the fact that some people maybe are "stealing" just for likes and clicks, for their own satisfaction. Which is probably a mental illness. And really, just ignore it)
    What it comes down to, though, is the player doesnt own EA or the gallery. Once its there, its there. The gallery is awesome, lets not turn it into something it doesnt have to be (a popularity contest)

I agree. Some of the sims are full of cc they use MOO and say nothing you take the chance downloading the stuff. They put it there to be used i would be happy someone liked it enough to use it for themselves. Besides maybe they made an improvement that made it better. I see a lot of sims on the gallery that look the same. Some look like sims i uploaded when i got the demo. I dont care.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Firande wrote: »

While this is ultimately true, it still feels sucky when others pass off your creations, which you worked really hard on, as their own. I put a lot of work and thought and effort into my Sims, whom I consider more like characters than just Sims, and I'd honestly be angry if I saw them reuploaded by someone else without any mention of me. I don't use the gallery much, though, so luckily I don't have to be afraid of others stealing my Sims. I might put them on there without description/hashtags for me to reupload should I ever lose them, tho. One of my Sims, whom I uploaded solely for this reason and without hashtags or a description, immediately got 16 downloads when I uploaded him and I was like Oh, OK... :sweat_smile: It does flatter me, though! And I think that ultimately, it's better to just take it as a compliment and move on than to fight it as, like you say, it's not actually illegal for Simmers to do this so there is ultimately not much you can do about it.

Right it is not supposed to be a popularity contest. Believe me i love some of the sims on the gallery. I play them in my game. They have fun personalities and they have combinations of clothing i would not have thought of. Some of the poses are wonderful and very creative. But i now refuse to heed the announcement do not re upload and stop stealing as those to me are just demands on someone elses ego. If you dont want me to change your sim or put it in my gallery please dont share it.
    I just dont understand the big deal. If i put a sim on the gallery filled with cc that someone else created and then since i created the sim i put my name on it. Isnt that by definition that i have stolen the cc i used on the sim i made and loaded to the gallery?
  • Options
    LaPetiteFromageLaPetiteFromage Posts: 12 New Member
    But why would you even want to put your name on someone else's creation? It's one thing to download and play with a house/lot. It's another to upload it and claim it as your own.
  • Options
    Gruffman wrote: »
    Because some people put work into their sims and builds. It is not fair to the creator, plain and simple.

If I download a female sim, change her daytime outfit from red to black and re-upload it as my own, thats not right. Someone else spent their time, their creativity and their effort into making her, not me. Now, if I take that same sim, change her make-up, her skintone, her hair color, her traits, her name ... that is different. I used my time, my creativity to make her as I needed. Upload her away as she has been changed.

Same with a build. If I download a restaurant and I just change the color of the seats and upload it. Thats wrong. Someone had their design, their idea, their creativity, their time to build it, name it, hopefully check it to make sure it is working. They should be credited for the time that they spent. If I take that same restaurant, cause I like the look of the outer building shell, gut the inside, change the bricks on the outside and re-build it as to fit my game ... that is different, it is my time that I used, not someone elses.

It isn't about the sim or the building, it was that persons time. To have someone else take something they made, change one thing ( if that much ) and reload it back as their own tells that person who made it their time meant nothing.

Thats just it the original creators tag is on it your tag goes underneath it. They are recognized.
    If i download cc which someone spent time making and they shared it to say MTS then i go and take that hair or that dress that they spent time on put it on my sim and put it on the gallery am i not in the way they are using stealing here doing the same. I am putting my name on a creation that i did not create on a sim i made and put it on the gallery. The gallery is for sharing. If i share a cookie with a friend that i made i expect them to eat that cookie which significantly changes that cookie does it not? I fully change eyes. Hairstyle and clothing and sometimes personality of a sim and i add family members and now pets to this sim. Now am i to be accused of stealing that sim if i put it on the gallery to save it from being deleted from my library.
    My thing is if you dont want to totally share your sims in other words to give up ownership of them then keep them in your game dont share them.
    The only difference with the gallery and the exchange of sims 3 is that they get featured by Ea. Someone is afraid that someone else will be credited with their work by it being featured under another name. That would be unfair but the original creators name is on the sim anyway

• Options
    edited January 2018
    But why would you even want to put your name on someone else's creation? It's one thing to download and play with a house/lot. It's another to upload it and claim it as your own.

It does not get claimed as our own the original creators name is on it. All i do is put it on the gallery to protect it from being lost when my game screws up. Thats why i dont understand why there is such a problem that others have to accuse you of stealing or giving orders to others not to re upload?
    I leave the comments and i tell what i did. If it contains cc then why is the cc creator not saying that someone stole their creation. It is not like we pay for the stuff on the gallery and we lose money.
  • Options
    auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    I love sharing my creations on the gallery and could care less if people try to claim them as their own. You can see the original creator when you click on the creations. I create houses and sims for fun and because I love doing it. I also love sharing with others and have never cared what people do with them. I get that others feel differently but for me, it's no biggie.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • Options
    ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    I personally don't care what people do with my uploads because I have no intellectual right to those things since they belong to EA however other people feel differently. Either way these threads usually don't end well and my popcorn is burnt so there's that.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Options
    micheleimichelei Posts: 422 Member
    edited January 2018
    It takes me forever to find the perfect builds for my game. I am not a builder. I do not have that gift. I rely on the gallery a lot to make my sims world. I have only recently started to uploaded some of my favorite builds so I do not lose them. I have changed some drastically and some just a little. I am not trying to claim any of them. I am not trying get downloads. I am just trying to save my sims perfect world.
  • Options
    coffeeshoppecoffeeshoppe Posts: 22 Member
    I don't care what anyone tells you. Its really selfish and and self-serving to re-upload others work. After all you did not create it, so why try to make it look like you did? Its nothing more than an attempt to gain followers and compliments for other peoples work. It takes hours to create some of the finer, larger houses . So why should someone who did nothing try to take credit?

Seriously, they are already being kind enough to share something they built with their talent, that you most likely couldn't do yourself, so why re-upload against their wishes? Just because the sims is a game doesn't mean you shouldn't consider the time and effort others put forth!
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited January 2018

The reality is that it's owned by EA even if it's not shared on the gallery. The only time I feel that someone should be upset by this is if the creation somehow lost the 'Original Creator' tag. Even if the reupload wasn't changed a bit, it still has the original creator's name on it. I don't understand this "Mine, Mine, MINE!" mentality. We can all see who originally created it, that should be enough.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

What's weird about changing something you've downloaded and uploading it to have a backup? I do it all the time. I can't think of one single thing I've downloaded from the gallery that I didn't change.

As for reuploading something without changing it, take it as a compliment because it could mean the person loved it so much they didn't want to lose it. There's a simmer on here that lost access to gallery items because the original simmer either left the game or deleted them. Reuploading prevents that from happening.
  • Options
    ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    edited January 2018
    IceyJ wrote: »

What's weird about changing something you've downloaded and uploading it to have a backup? I do it all the time. I can't think of one single thing I've downloaded from the gallery that I didn't change.

As for reuploading something without changing it, take it as a compliment because it could mean the person loved it so much they didn't want to lose it. There's a simmer on here that lost access to gallery items because the original simmer either left the game or deleted them. Reuploading prevents that from happening.

While it is true that it didn't bother me when I had seen my creation reuploaded as someone else's, saying it is a compliment is a bit of a stretch. It doesn't bother me but I'm certainly not flattered by it. it reflects on that person, not me. I just really don't care one way or the other. What someone else chooses to do doesn't affect my game play. I don't play the sims so I can tally likes, faves, downloads or awesomes. Still, to call it a complement is a stretch. It's one thing to not be bothered by it, something entirely different to talk it up as though it were a positive action.

That said however if a person is doing it so they have them for future games, that is what your library is for. Your library is stored on line, just not for public consumption.

ETA:
    fixed for clarity, I'm not wake yet.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Options
    NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    It seems that it is "stealing" to people who believe that the number of downloads and favourites are a currency, since that is really the only thing you get out of it. I assume one can spend this currency to buy prestige in the Simming community, but I wouldn't really know anything about that.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    ladybreid wrote: »
    IceyJ wrote: »

While it is true that it didn't bother me when I had seen my creation reuploaded as someone else's, saying it is a compliment is a bit of a stretch. It doesn't bother me but I'm certainly not flattered by it. it reflects on that person, not me. I just really don't care one way or the other. What someone else chooses to do doesn't affect my game play. I don't play the sims so I can tally likes, faves, downloads or awesomes. Still, to call it a complement is a stretch. It's one thing to not be bothered by it, something entirely different to talk it up as though it were a positive action.

That said however if a person is doing it so they have them for future games, that is what your library is for. Your library is stored on line, just not for public consumption. [/i]

ETA:
    fixed for clarity, I'm not wake yet.

Wrong. Our libraries are not stored online, they are stored in a folder on your computer. It's called the 'Tray' folder. The only way to get a backup online is to reupload. That's how the other simmer I mentioned lost access to gallery stuff they'd downloaded; her tray folder got deleted. She would still have them if she had uploaded them herself.

Obviously, the intentions behind reuploading something will vary and some simmers do it to get Favs/Downloads for something they didn't make. But if someone does upload your creation because they like it so much they don't want to lose it and you can't see that as a compliment, then it definitely reflects on you.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited January 2018
    What the title says. If i make something and put it into my game it is mine. If i make a sim and share it on the gallery it is no longer mine it is called sharing. What i choose to share is the property of EA. Anyone can take it off the gallery change it around or not and reload it to the gallery with the changes they have made. All the same as i shared it. So to call that stealing is not correct. No one has taken anything. The game sometimes deletes your library so you put it on the gallery so you can keep it. I feel that if you choose to share your creations (and thank you for them) you need to realize that you are then giving them to EA and they are fair game for me or anyone else to download. Yeah you worked hard on them i saw them i liked them i downloaded them i am trying now to understand why people feel this is stealing.

I agree with you, but I have seen people upload lots and not change anything they do not credit the original creator, they didn't even redecorate or change wall paper. Their upload gets a zillion more downloads and the original poster has like three downloads. I can see how that would be upsetting to new people and new builders or new people who put a lot of time (hours) into a build.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    It seems that it is "stealing" to people who believe that the number of downloads and favourites are a currency, since that is really the only thing you get out of it. I assume one can spend this currency to buy prestige in the Simming community, but I wouldn't really know anything about that.

Now this makes a lot of sense to me, and would explain the possessiveness some have over their builds.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top