Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

As a builder, I feel abandoned in Sims 4 :(

Comments

• Options
    TheDismalSimmerTheDismalSimmer Posts: 656 Member
    edited July 2017
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Seems to me - and correct me if I'm wrong - with arguments please - Sims 4 doesn't cater builders, it caters non builders. Making things easier for those who don't like building, enabling them to throw in a fair looking house in a flash. But for builders it's all restrictions and limitations.

It certainly tries to make building easier, which is in itself a nice idea. Things like the click and drag feature, cloning tools, etc, I would LOVE to have in TS3. So to be completely fair, TS4 certainly makes a few nice improvements to build mode.

But the issue is, these improvements don't conflict with implementing most of the things mentioned here at all. Being able to edit terrain or make octagonal roofs doesn't prevent a newbie from making a modest first attempt of a boxy house on flat ground. Yet 2 years later, we are still missing features that in all honestly should have been in base game.

I generally try to avoid the grrr TS4 bandwagon because the game is overall fun and looks great, but this is starting to get ridiculous.
    dgvibNQ.png
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    edited July 2017
    Seems to me - and correct me if I'm wrong - with arguments please - Sims 4 doesn't cater builders, it caters non builders. Making things easier for those who don't like building, enabling them to throw in a fair looking house in a flash. But for builders it's all restrictions and limitations.

I wouldn't say that, it includes highly specific tools for builders (like eave sizes, roofing trims, spandrels, friezes) while there are tools often asked by "non-builders" that are missing (like auto-roof). I'd say it has a different set of tools, with some new ones and some no longer there, which will cater to some types of builders and not so to others. I know my set of build tools I'd like to see added to TS4 in the future doesn't perfectly aligned with the sets from others : I don't care about terrain tools, octogonal roofs or spiral staircases for example, but I'd like L-shaped stairs (preferably customizable ones so we can do other shapes too), attics, window roofs, more style of windows and sliding patio doors. So I'd say it depends more on what you like to build, more than if you are a builder or a non-builder.
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    @azfalt01 I've built far more in Sims 3 than I did in Sims 2, what did they remove? Can't really thuink of anything but like I said that may be lack of experience. (for me CASt is a pretty high peek by the way)

Only thing I can think of that 2 has and 3 doesn't is the indoor platform that allows you to create stairs with a landing near the bottom quarter.

S3 has the placeftiezes cheat, but it's not the same since that counts as a floor level. Whereas the inside platform counted as an indoor landing and walls were easily placed around it without cheats. I admit I still miss that feature.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

It certainly tries to make building easier, which is in itself a nice idea. Things like the click and drag feature, cloning tools, etc, I would LOVE to have in TS3. So to be completely fair, TS4 certainly makes a few nice improvements to build mode.

But the issue is, these improvements don't conflict with implementing most of the things mentioned here at all. Being able to edit terrain or make octagonal roofs doesn't prevent a newbie from making a modest first attempt of a boxy house on flat ground. Yet 2 years later, we are still missing features that in all honestly should have been in base game.

I generally try to avoid the grrr TS4 bandwagon because the game is overall fun and looks great, but this is starting to get ridiculous.
    Oh absolutely, I agree. But the truth is (for me) that I miss those features when I open my Sims 3 game right after playing Sims 4, but after a while the little frustrations disappear and I'm over my ears into building again without consciously missing them anymore. Just rowing with the oars I've got and it brings me where I want to go as well in the end (though Sims 3's building mode has some very frustrating limitations as well in the creative field). And building in Sims 4 really is no fun for me at all. Proven by the fact I download all my houses from the gallery; never ever have I done so in 3, I love building houses and I even get accused of 'having that Sims look in your eyes again' when we pass by a house and I start taking photographs to use some ideas later in my game.

Let me put it this way: a game with all the creative building tools from 3 and the handy building tools from 4 would be a builder's heaven. And some of us prefer the more creative tools where others are quite comfortable with the handy tools. Those houses I download from the gallery look amazing, so it's not like it's impossible to create beautiful houses in the game, on the contrary.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    @azfalt01 I've built far more in Sims 3 than I did in Sims 2, what did they remove? Can't really thuink of anything but like I said that may be lack of experience. (for me CASt is a pretty high peek by the way)

Only thing I can think of that 2 has and 3 doesn't is the indoor platform that allows you to create stairs with a landing near the bottom quarter.

S3 has the placeftiezes cheat, but it's not the same since that counts as a floor level. Whereas the inside platform counted as an indoor landing and walls were easily placed around it without cheats. I admit I still miss that feature.
    Many ugly words have passed my lips over stairs so yeah, I'm with you there :D Another huge frustration: not being able to make stairs going down into a basement you created after finishing the house because 'you can't do this within a foundation'. Why on earth not..? Does it hurt?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Bear31Bear31 Posts: 3,412 Member
    I do agree to some extent that they need to bring in some new stuff where building is concerned. I don't think its that you are being ignored or anything, but the more dominant voice, from what I can see, is more innovative game-play and wanting them to fix all the bugs/glitches than there is about building.

I'd love to see the terrain tool return, would LOVE the ability to be able to add more room to a lot if I need more room than a 20 by 20 lot, the ability for my gardener sim to put their plants anywhere in the ground (will explain in detail in a minute), be able to have yet another floor (you know, for hotels?), and maaaaybe glass walls (not windows.....actual walls of glass that aren't broken up in window format) and glass roofs too (you know, for the purpose of having a greenhouse to house plants?).

Okay......so........the third on that list. You all know Factory One in Windenburg? There are those spots that you see along the sides of the building where you see plants (or the appearance of such). Well, I was building on that lot one day and I have a gardener sim. I thought, 'how cute would it be if I transformed that spot into a garden for my sim!'. Come to find, when I tried putting her plants directly in the ground, I couldn't. There was no way to make it happen. What I am saying with that, it'd be great if we could make it happen. Have a grass tool that we can use that would be able to put earth there where there was none before. My fix to this was to just use planter boxes, but it would be awesome if I could do away with them.

ETA: I wrote the same thing in another building thread........not sure if I had meant it for that one or this one :lol: SO if you've seen this same post before........apologies....lol
  • Options
    Neia wrote: »

I wouldn't say that, it includes highly specific tools for builders (like eave sizes, roofing trims, spandrels, friezes) while there are tools often asked by "non-builders" that are missing (like auto-roof). I'd say it has a different set of tools, with some new ones and some no longer there, which will cater to some types of builders and not so to others. I know my set of build tools I'd like to see added to TS4 in the future doesn't perfectly aligned with the sets from others : I don't care about terrain tools, octogonal roofs or spiral staircases for example, but I'd like L-shaped stairs (preferably customizable ones so we can do other shapes too), attics, window roofs, more style of windows and sliding patio doors. So I'd say it depends more on what you like to build, more than if you are a builder or a non-builder.
    I don't really understand the 'charm' of autoroof by the way, because it creates the most insane roofs haha. And I agree Sims 4 has some great creative tools as well (I love the ability to choose between three diffrent heights for walls for instance, and being able to move windows up and down is great as well. I'm totally with you concerning L-shaped stairs, but for me personally no terrain tools and especially no CASt are what completely spoil it.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

Many ugly words have passed my lips over stairs so yeah, I'm with you there :D Another huge frustration: not being able to make stairs going down into a basement you created after finishing the house because 'you can't do this within a foundation'. Why on earth not..? Does it hurt?

Lol. Yeah. That one gets my grits in a roar. Most times I layout the foundation. Then carpet underneath before tearing it down and tracing the basement around the carpet. It works most of the time, but lord forbid I make any changes to the layout involving the stairs once that's done. So frustrating.

A bug that S2 mansions and gardens introduced was that you couldn't lay modular stairs near a wall. They never fixed it, but at least moveobjects solves that issue. Wish it worked in S3. That limitation makes no sense to me at all.
  • Options
    TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    aricarai wrote: »
    I agree with a lot of what has been said already. I wouldn't call myself a huge builder but I had been getting more and more into it by the end of the Sims 3 and I know some players are having a fine time with what's provided in the Sims 4, but it really does feel to me like to get what we got we had to give up a lot of what we had. In some cases, at least to me, it simply doesn't feel like it was worth it.

And I so agree with the hearing but not listening thing. Until there's proof that they're actually listening there won't be much peace in the valley. The fact that they can't talk about much of anything right now doesn't help either. At this rate, in regards to the Sims 4, I don't think anything will help with how players feel if the players in question have deep, core issues with the game. If there is a Sims 5, the issues people are having with EA and the Sims 4 right now are definitely going to play a role in people's feelings towards the game. A lot of us were on the fence with 4, so I can just imagine how it'll be with 5.

Hopefully, if they decide to have a Sims 5 there will be a lot of listening and not just hearing the players. It would be nice to have a lot of open and in depth communication on the actual game forums before or at the beginning stages. For them to feed us their ideas, for us to feed them our ideas and have back and forth conversations about what and how we'd like to see things done. Just bounce ideas off each other, because while there is the issue of them hearing and not listening, there's also the half listening. They decide to implement a great idea fans have been talking about wanting for the longest but they water it down so much or miss such obvious things that depending on what the idea was, you wonder was there a point in even adding it anyway. So a good back and forth would be awesome.

Them not being able to talk about future content will probably interfere with something like that as well. :disappointed:

I would like to add to this with a simple question: how many non-builders have benefited from builders?

I could say the same about mod creators, world creators, and CC creators, etc.

Does cutting the throat of one who is able to deliver a good thing? No need to answer.

The question isn't really directed to you. ;)

I would say a lot more now that we have the gallery ;)

We may have lost some creativity tools, but we've gained a lot in the ease of showcasing and distributing creations I think.

The Exchange was in Sims 3 - and there were loads of showcase threads in the Creative Corner.

Also, I don't think that was exactly what @kremesch73 meant. I think what they were trying to say (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that because Sims 4 building has been so scaled back, anyone can do it now.

Or I could have that completely wrong, but that's how I read it!

The gallery is worlds beyond the exchange. Not once did I download a house and play in it through the exchange. Such a huge hassle, imo.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    aricarai wrote: »
    I agree with a lot of what has been said already. I wouldn't call myself a huge builder but I had been getting more and more into it by the end of the Sims 3 and I know some players are having a fine time with what's provided in the Sims 4, but it really does feel to me like to get what we got we had to give up a lot of what we had. In some cases, at least to me, it simply doesn't feel like it was worth it.

And I so agree with the hearing but not listening thing. Until there's proof that they're actually listening there won't be much peace in the valley. The fact that they can't talk about much of anything right now doesn't help either. At this rate, in regards to the Sims 4, I don't think anything will help with how players feel if the players in question have deep, core issues with the game. If there is a Sims 5, the issues people are having with EA and the Sims 4 right now are definitely going to play a role in people's feelings towards the game. A lot of us were on the fence with 4, so I can just imagine how it'll be with 5.

Hopefully, if they decide to have a Sims 5 there will be a lot of listening and not just hearing the players. It would be nice to have a lot of open and in depth communication on the actual game forums before or at the beginning stages. For them to feed us their ideas, for us to feed them our ideas and have back and forth conversations about what and how we'd like to see things done. Just bounce ideas off each other, because while there is the issue of them hearing and not listening, there's also the half listening. They decide to implement a great idea fans have been talking about wanting for the longest but they water it down so much or miss such obvious things that depending on what the idea was, you wonder was there a point in even adding it anyway. So a good back and forth would be awesome.

Them not being able to talk about future content will probably interfere with something like that as well. :disappointed:

I would like to add to this with a simple question: how many non-builders have benefited from builders?

I could say the same about mod creators, world creators, and CC creators, etc.

Does cutting the throat of one who is able to deliver a good thing? No need to answer.

The question isn't really directed to you. ;)

I would say a lot more now that we have the gallery ;)

We may have lost some creativity tools, but we've gained a lot in the ease of showcasing and distributing creations I think.

The Exchange was in Sims 3 - and there were loads of showcase threads in the Creative Corner.

Also, I don't think that was exactly what @kremesch73 meant. I think what they were trying to say (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that because Sims 4 building has been so scaled back, anyone can do it now.

Or I could have that completely wrong, but that's how I read it!

The gallery is worlds beyond the exchange. Not once did I download a house and play in it through the exchange. Such a huge hassle, imo.
    Not so much a hassle (you just press download) but a risk. I believe Sims 4 has bad CC far better under control.

(no, those modular stairs indeed don't make any sense kremesch73, maybe it's a Store/game conflict?)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

I don't really understand the 'charm' of autoroof by the way, because it creates the most insane roofs haha. And I agree Sims 4 has some great creative tools as well (I love the ability to choose between three diffrent heights for walls for instance, and being able to move windows up and down is great as well. I'm totally with you concerning L-shaped stairs, but for me personally no terrain tools and especially no CASt are what completely spoil it.

I didn't use auto-roof either, but it's rather frequent request from what I can tell. There're some new tools I really like like the click and drag to make rooms bigger, and some others I just don't care about (like the spandrels, I never use them; and I'm sticking with the smaller walls otherwise my Sims take too long to go upstairs :/ ).

I'm fairly confident we may see L-shaped stairs at some point, since it's a common request, I'm not so confident for attics. It's always been a problem in Sims games, and with the roof/room collision challenges in TS4, and with the seasons/rain on top, I guess that will probably turn out too complicated.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    @Neia they could probably add a drop down ladder. A lot of older homes (especially the style Sims 4 brought with the base game) have them, and they're really cool. Attics can be made already, to a certain degree, but it would be cool to make a more realistic one.
  • Options
    @Neia they could probably add a drop down ladder. A lot of older homes (especially the style Sims 4 brought with the base game) have them, and they're really cool. Attics can be made already, to a certain degree, but it would be cool to make a more realistic one.

I'm thinking about converted attics, or more generally rooms that aren't the full wall size everywhere, but with wallpapers, roof windows, stairs to go there, etc. Perhaps attics isn't the proper word for that, but there are a really common type of rooms even in recent houses where I live.

I'm talking about things like this :

qZrlm49.jpg

ucY4ieql.jpg

AQ1Z3J0.jpg
  • Options

I'm thinking about converted attics, or more generally rooms that aren't the full wall size everywhere, but with wallpapers, roof windows, stairs to go there, etc. Perhaps attics isn't the proper word for that, but there are a really common type of rooms even in recent houses where I live.

I'm talking about things like this :

qZrlm49.jpg

ucY4ieql.jpg

AQ1Z3J0.jpg

I can build those attics in 2 & 3 with constrain floor elevation. But that cheat also has its issues. Would love to build those attics without having to use a cheat.

As for the auto roof. I find it more of a pain than a blessing. I don't think they've ever gone on in a way that made sense or was aesthetically pleasing. I'm not against auto roof as many seem to want it, but there has to be a button that says 'auto roof' and *poof* there ya go. It's a pain to have to delete them to place your own in S3. I always forgot to turn it off when I build and always have to delete them when I'm done.

The roof is always the last thing I place and I always have a particular style in mind that auto roofing has never come anywhere close to. Most times, it's an eye-sore.
  • Options
    TheDismalSimmerTheDismalSimmer Posts: 656 Member
    edited July 2017
    I don't mind the lack of the auto-roof, as I never used it anyway.

What I don't like is that the roofs clip through your interiors (sometimes obscuring a lot of stuff) if you make them a certain shape. The end result is a lot of interesting designs that are possible with the game's mechanics are completely impractical due to this unfortunate oversight.

Case and point (I have more extreme examples but don't feel like hunting for them at the moment)

1l0mKJU.png

I'm fine with builders' request given less priority, majority rules and all, but a lot of the things mentioned here are VERY basic stuff. It's like if somehow in CAS they didn't add shoes to the game...
    dgvibNQ.png
  • Options
    edited July 2017

I didn't use auto-roof either, but it's rather frequent request from what I can tell. There're some new tools I really like like the click and drag to make rooms bigger, and some others I just don't care about (like the spandrels, I never use them; and I'm sticking with the smaller walls otherwise my Sims take too long to go upstairs :/ ).

I'm fairly confident we may see L-shaped stairs at some point, since it's a common request, I'm not so confident for attics. It's always been a problem in Sims games, and with the roof/room collision challenges in TS4, and with the seasons/rain on top, I guess that will probably turn out too complicated.
    Yes, I love click and drag (both walls and roofs), and I love picking up entire rooms. In that respect building in Sims 4 is more intuitive than in Sims 3. It's easier to reconsider and change choices you made while building. But somehow I don't care as a builder, I prefer to let others build for me in Sims 4 and that must be caused by the process of building (because in Sims 3 it's the opposite, I never played in a house I didn't build myself). Chances are I mainly miss CASt by the way so yeah, this is personal. But CASt after all is a creative tool and dragging walls a handy tool. So that's what I meant really. So is playing with terrain tools. Throwing in upper floors and removing tiles is way easier in the predecessors by the way. I don't really understand why they made that so complicated this time around.

I so agree with you concerning attics! I really don't understand what made them think making that roof invisible from the inside out is a good idea. Not only do I want it to be visible, I also want to be able to decorate it, like the ceilings.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    rosethesimmerrosethesimmer Posts: 109 Member
    I don't build much, but I hate that they don't have a tool where you can customize items/clothes. It's getting harder to make things look good with each other. Stuff packs (in my opinion) don't have enough items. I don't really get the stuff packs, though, since I think they don't have stuff I want. I feel like they're making all this stuff just to get our money.
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    I don't build much, but I hate that they don't have a tool where you can customize items/clothes. It's getting harder to make things look good with each other. Stuff packs (in my opinion) don't have enough items. I don't really get the stuff packs, though, since I think they don't have stuff I want. I feel like they're making all this stuff just to get our money.

Stuff packs have always been about stuff and decor, not really building items. But yes getting rid of CASt was a bad decision in my opinion. It cut way down on creativity!
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

I fully agree. Stuff packs don't come with that much stuff and usually the stuff that is included doesn't match very well with content from other packs. The removal of color customization was one of the worst decisions they could have made. They clearly weren't prepared to go back to a preset selection of colors based on how poorly most of the objects do at providing a range of different styles. The one swatch setup is also not ideal - bedding especially should not be limited to any particular bed, and the frame should not be limited to one particular bedding design.
  • Options
    ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    Frames and bedding are my biggest peeve when decorating houses also the still kinda arbitrary what is low quality and what isn't. As in design wise, why is the more rustic wood bed low quality and the old fashioned fancy bed good quality? I would like a quality button in the future and get to pick how good or bad an object is, so different skins aren't inherently bad. Right now I am limited when building for live mode in my choices simply because my sims will complain about the furniture being no good.

An option to pick embellishments for objects separate from their frames so chairs upholstery, beds blankets, the glass and frames in windows (particularly some of get together 's stain glass options that for certain colors are stained and other colors aren't) ect.

Also a basic color template that we are able to pick from across all the items out there would be very nice, doesn't need to be a full out CASt system but having a color selection that is consistent for all items and the ability to separate embellishments from an objects main body when decorating would open up so so many more options when designing homes.
  • Options
    scarletdiamond13scarletdiamond13 Posts: 4 New Member
    Agreed! And can we talk about having ONE type of stair? Seriously? No L shaped stair? No switchback stair? Curved?
  • Options
    TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member

I fully agree. Stuff packs don't come with that much stuff and usually the stuff that is included doesn't match very well with content from other packs. The removal of color customization was one of the worst decisions they could have made. They clearly weren't prepared to go back to a preset selection of colors based on how poorly most of the objects do at providing a range of different styles. The one swatch setup is also not ideal - bedding especially should not be limited to any particular bed, and the frame should not be limited to one particular bedding design.

I think the stuff packs come with really neat items and I like to use all of them in my builds.
  • Options
    DJraxDJrax Posts: 50 Member
    I am still waiting for spiral staircases and elevators to be put in the game officially. These two things are wonderful in space conservation in building. (They have mods, but come on.....it just needs to BE in the game.)

Overall, I can agree with this feeling of abandonment. Half the furniture added feels like filler, and there has not been much in terms of building options released. I kinda wanna see more building and useful furniture please. Kinda makes me want to go back to Sims 3, but at the same time, I love the character creation and the moodlet system. So I don't know...I hope they do something for builders.....
  • Options
    NelcaRedNelcaRed Posts: 322 Member
    I abandoned Sims 4 a few months ago.
    I am a huge builder in the Sims 4 Gallery. I used to build a lot in Sims 4, but my creativity runs dry and I could no longer create any houses. My main problem is the lack of windows and doors. I remember there was a lot of options inside Sims 3 but now we have fewer windows and doors with the worst color selection I have ever seen. The gallery is very restrictive, we can't change screenshots, we can't edit descriptions and it is really really glitchy.

Someone, please fix the roofing problem! When building a 2+ story house, the roof from the first floor would always poke through the 2nd-floor room, making gameplay much harder.

• Options
    heatherXkittyheatherXkitty Posts: 307 Member
    Agreed! And can we talk about having ONE type of stair? Seriously? No L shaped stair? No switchback stair? Curved?
    DJrax wrote: »
    I am still waiting for spiral staircases and elevators to be put in the game officially. These two things are wonderful in space conservation in building. (They have mods, but come on.....it just needs to BE in the game.)

Overall, I can agree with this feeling of abandonment. Half the furniture added feels like filler, and there has not been much in terms of building options released. I kinda wanna see more building and useful furniture please. Kinda makes me want to go back to Sims 3, but at the same time, I love the character creation and the moodlet system. So I don't know...I hope they do something for builders.....

We also need carpeted stairs and ones that match the floor carpets we already have. I made a forum post about it a year ago. I really would love more stair options.
    banner_3.jpg?w=1200