Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

As a builder, I feel abandoned in Sims 4 :(

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited November 2016
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Dayvon64 wrote: »
    Should I start building? I feel like I am bad in the aspect of that I do not have the patience, but does it feel cooler to live in a house you built or something?

Yes, for me building is good therapy for whatever ails you. If you can take the frustration in this iteration. The Sims was always a god game to me so nothing more satisfying than to see something you figured out and designed in your game. It's about my game, my world, my ideas, my choices, my imagination.

There are many things about building in TS4 I do like but then it starts to pale when I start to compare it to what is possible in TS2 and TS3. For instance, multi lots, all having to have a foundation under every building if chosen.

I really appreciated the ability to lower the roof sections by the points of degree, to slide under the overhangs, that is a huge improvement to me, however, it's dimmed by (in some cases (with each patch) how this becomes more troublesome now when it gets changed and roof edges show inside homes, or buildings, when it wasn't the case at first release. Things keep getting worse instead of better.

Simple decorating choices are not even possible anymore such as curtains in archways, without a cheat, placing some paintings over a side table near a wall, or placing a mirror over the fireplace or a painting. I know people love these Sims never get stuck because their footprint boundary has been removed in this game, but I really, really can no longer watch them walk through things defying the law of physics. That would be o.k. in a cheap game made by PopCap but not for this series.

I have totally quit the game because CL proved to me, it's about the developers and not the players/customers.

ETA: Prime example of steps backwards...can never place steps on a 45degree angle on a porch/deck. That's been possible since 2004, but not in this game.

I agree with everything you say except one thing. It's more of a question though, I guess. How in the heck can I place stairs at a 45 degree angle in 2 and 3?

I've never been able to do it. Am I using the wrong stairs? This is one thing I had hoped I would finally be able to do in 4. It's the 4th iteration for Pete's sake. I had hoped that by the 4th iteration it was something I was finally able to do.

Other than that. Great post.

If it's not possible for you in TS2 then I have no idea why. I have been using those stairs (not stair cases) modular? for years placing them on a diagonal porch. Maybe M&G nerfed it. But I played without M&G installed because it wonked a lot of things about stair placement. ETA: Another thing about TS2 you could stack foundations before the later EPs.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Uzone27 wrote: »

Neat video. I agree I do like I can build on a smaller scale. However, I'm not just a part time builder (who needs more tutorials, lol) however a player of what I build. So, seeing my Sim's husband reach through her behind to get milk or juice from the fridge, or two Sims passing out on the sidewalk (due to playing with the settings of the satellite) and becoming one Sim joined at the head with their butts in the air, is not immersive in a good way. Seeing my Sims walk through counters and other Sims was really more than I could take after two years of waiting on the magnificent to happen whether that would be terrain tools or focus back to life simulator. My finding the game subpar on so many levels shouldn't affect how you enjoy building or playing. Enjoy. But for me CL tells me I don't want to hang around anymore and wait for something that's probably never going to happen or if it does be so limited it only winds up depressing me, more.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Uzone27 wrote: »

Neat video. I agree I do like I can build on a smaller scale. However, I'm not just a part time builder (who needs more tutorials, lol) however a player of what I build. So, seeing my Sim's husband reach through her behind to get milk or juice from the fridge, or two Sims passing out on the sidewalk (due to playing with the settings of the satellite) and becoming one Sim joined at the head with their butts in the air, is not immersive in a good way. Seeing my Sims walk through counters and other Sims was really more than I could take after two years of waiting on the magnificent to happen whether that would be terrain tools or focus back to life simulator. My finding the game subpar on so many levels shouldn't affect how you enjoy building or playing. Enjoy. But for me CL tells me I don't want to hang around anymore and wait for something that's probably never going to happen or if it does be so limited it only winds up depressing me, more.

Yikes! No need to get touchy. I agreed with 95% of what you had to say.
  • Options
    JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    edited November 2016
    First of all, @ehaught58 I understand how you must feel. I enjoyed building in TS3 but for those who mainly loved that aspect, it must be very frustrating. But as someone else mentioned, they actually eliminated lots of different ways that people used to play The Sims games so you're definitely not the only ones left out. But I feel for you, I really do.
    Jessabeans wrote: »
    In some ways it feels like they were intentionally withholding for those of us who prefer building to playing. There are some items that are locked from use without mods or actually playing to 'unlock' them. Then you have to remove your mods folder to be able to share without it being marked as containing third party content. I don't know if it's changed because I switched back to 3 long ago. I didn't like the choice to make the walls thicker, it makes it very difficult to use smaller lots. I would be remiss if I didn't mention again the lack of CAS. I spent far too much of my game time in Sims 2 externally recoloring items to give up the ability to do it in game.

4 has some of the best clutter of the series, and I did like the ability to change wall heights, and the ability to scale items. Those were nice additions but it's just not an even trade for me.

Just wanted to tell you that it's great to see you around the forum again. And great that you're still playing TS3, as am I, since I already have lots of your builds in my game and periodically still check for specific things I need from my favorite builders. So I hope you are still uploading lots! :)<3

I don't they were intentionally withholding things, I just think they were making a different kind of game. A simpler game with an online component, and as a result a lot of customization tools had to go. Pity, but those customization options were the reason I loved this game so much. Apparently the people who make and publish this game have no idea why a whole lot of people play it.

:D Thank you, I took some time off games in favor of sleep when my little one was born but now that she's nearly 2 and I have more time again. I've been slowing getting back into building. I have a few that I've finished over the past couple of weeks that I plan to upload soon but I have less time to play test so it takes a lot longer to share them but I'm glad there are still people interested in 3. I had planned to switch to 4 once I came back, I bought a few of 4's packs thinking that I could spend less time with loading and installing/switching out folders of store content and more time building. It just doesn't hold the same appeal (read: stress release) for me as the previous versions did so I am going to stick with 3 for the foreseeable future. I hope EA does read feedback about the game, I remember when 4 did so poorly (despite all the preemptive community feedback) there was a threat of not producing 5 so it's hard to say if I will move on from 3 at all.

That makes sense that it was more of a misunderstanding the customer base (or ignoring parts of it in favor of the majority?) than intentional it was just a sore point for me, as I finally got into sharing my builds with 3 and I didn't want to go back to scrapping them once I had finished like I did with 1 and 2. It added a new level of depth to the experience for me, being able to share after building and the idea that people who enjoy playing could use them in a way that I rarely do. It was a good system having those who liked to create sims share them with those who liked to make stories, and have their modeling competitions and whatnot and those who liked to build lots share them with world builders or machina makers. I really miss the interwoven community aspect of having the same game with different parts that appeal bring the community together. Most of the post I've seen are just posts about dislikes or bugs, less are about creating and sharing. I suppose that is why I am so hung up on 3, I feel like it had the best interaction of game meets community. The Sims 1 site had a few patches and some information, I don't even remember forums. 2 had a store and an exchange but I never made a single post or uploaded anything.

I was so excited to see some of my favorite creators around again recently. I had worried that the failure of 4 to be a game for those of us who have been with the series and more a game that appeals to newer players (which is not necessarily a bad thing, just a missed opportunity as the previous version were a better balance of attracting new players and enticing series fans to switch over with improved features.) I originally didn't want to switch to 3 because I was a broke college student at the time and I had just finished being able to complete my collection of 2 and still had so much unexplored game left. I remember being off-put by 3 at first, but they made quality of life changes and rolled out expansions that made me switch and stay. I tried 2 again when it showed up on origin and I still see things I miss from 2 that I wish had been brought into 3 but I couldn't give up CASt or the open world to switch back.

Sorry this was a little long winded just feeling nostalgic I guess.

• Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    LOL, you can be long-winded anytime you want as far as I'm concerned. I definitely agree with what you wrote; I've purchased a lot of the packs for 4 also, but after CL I won't be buying any more; just don't really enjoy the game and DON'T like the sims, either. Too cartoonish and ridiculous for me, but to each their own I guess.

Regardless it was nice catching up with you and congrats on the new baby, although I guess she's not really a baby any more. :)

PS- added several of your lots for France recently because I wanted to complete all the tombs (have done some but never all of them) so started playing an explorer. It's so much fun to have some things to do between missions while my sim is there. So yes, definitely still interested in TS3 builds!

The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    edited November 2016
    LOL, you can be long-winded anytime you want as far as I'm concerned. I definitely agree with what you wrote; I've purchased a lot of the packs for 4 also, but after CL I won't be buying any more; just don't really enjoy the game and DON'T like the sims, either. Too cartoonish and ridiculous for me, but to each their own I guess.

Regardless it was nice catching up with you and congrats on the new baby, although I guess she's not really a baby any more. :)

PS- added several of your lots for France recently because I wanted to complete all the tombs (have done some but never all of them) so started playing an explorer. It's so much fun to have some things to do between missions while my sim is there. So yes, definitely still interested in TS3 builds!

Thank you, she is definitely a miniature person at this point but I'm sure I'll still be calling her my baby for years to come.

That was my hope when doing those that I would actually finish the tombs, I only did the ones I needed on my tester to be able to buy lots there. I had a few ideas for the other worlds but wanted to do France first as a sort of gift to Greencats after seeing her Unofficial wish list. Kementari had the same idea so I started using some of hers instead of finishing all the ones I had planned, if you haven't seen her lots for France they are amazing. http://simplicitysims.blogspot.com/search/label/WA%20Lots
    thesims3.com/userExchange.html?selectedAsstType=all&persona=Kementari

I would like to finish that set at some point and do the other two WA worlds too. Especially with the teaset for a tearoom for China.
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    OP the only way they are going to get any one to shut up is if they were to actually start listening to us. I have seen gurus make snared remarks about the complaints players have. Granted the majority of them have just been undertoned but it don't take a genius to read between the lines. One article I can't even finish reading because I can't stop laughing at just how contradicting and condensing it is. No it isn't a laughing matter and my laughter isn't humorous on bit. This whole "We do listen" "We here you." Well if that is the case then it have to be proven because hearing and listening are two different things. They do just enough just so they can say they did something. It isn't any different when I ask my older brother to help with our mother's incontinent supplies which cost close to $500.00 a month for the diapers, gloves, wipes, pads....etc. He will bring over one package of the ones that irritate her skin and give her a killer rash. Which by the way I have told him multiple times over the years not to buy but he does anyways. Sure he heard me but did he really listen? No he did not.

I've always been builder more then a player so I am right there with you. I feel as if I as just left out of the equation here. I want the cheat codes, terrain tools and most of all ponds!!! We have the content to build a variety of different venues but with how the lot system works in the game at present, getting them to function properly is a miracle.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited November 2016
    OP the only way they are going to get any one to shut up is if they were to actually start listening to us. I have seen gurus make snared remarks about the complaints players have. Granted the majority of them have just been undertoned but it don't take a genius to read between the lines. One article I can't even finish reading because I can't stop laughing at just how contradicting and condensing it is. No it isn't a laughing matter and my laughter isn't humorous on bit. This whole "We do listen" "We here you." Well if that is the case then it have to be proven because hearing and listening are two different things. They do just enough just so they can say they did something. It isn't any different when I ask my older brother to help with our mother's incontinent supplies which cost close to $500.00 a month for the diapers, gloves, wipes, pads....etc. He will bring over one package of the ones that irritate her skin and give her a killer rash. Which by the way I have told him multiple times over the years not to buy but he does anyways. Sure he heard me but did he really listen? No he did not.

I've always been builder more then a player so I am right there with you. I feel as if I as just left out of the equation here. I want the cheat codes, terrain tools and most of all ponds!!! We have the content to build a variety of different venues but with how the lot system works in the game at present, getting them to function properly is a miracle.

I'm more than one type of player, but I really enjoyed reading your analogy. It is very easy to hear a person speak/complain/praise/whathaveyou. It's a whole different thing to understand and show that you understand.

PR is about speaking and advertising. I've worked with sales and PR for a good portion of my life. I really enjoy their company, but one thing I've learned is that talkers (PR/advertisers) are good a talking. It's a talent. Yet, talking, hearing, and listening, are completely different things.

I can not count how many times a person has told me one thing and then done another. They're so good at it that they go out of their way to believe what they're actually saying, despite their contradictory actions. I notice this because listening is something I do better than hearing.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    I agree with a lot of what has been said already. I wouldn't call myself a huge builder but I had been getting more and more into it by the end of the Sims 3 and I know some players are having a fine time with what's provided in the Sims 4, but it really does feel to me like to get what we got we had to give up a lot of what we had. In some cases, at least to me, it simply doesn't feel like it was worth it.

And I so agree with the hearing but not listening thing. Until there's proof that they're actually listening there won't be much peace in the valley. The fact that they can't talk about much of anything right now doesn't help either. At this rate, in regards to the Sims 4, I don't think anything will help with how players feel if the players in question have deep, core issues with the game. If there is a Sims 5, the issues people are having with EA and the Sims 4 right now are definitely going to play a role in people's feelings towards the game. A lot of us were on the fence with 4, so I can just imagine how it'll be with 5.

Hopefully, if they decide to have a Sims 5 there will be a lot of listening and not just hearing the players. It would be nice to have a lot of open and in depth communication on the actual game forums before or at the beginning stages. For them to feed us their ideas, for us to feed them our ideas and have back and forth conversations about what and how we'd like to see things done. Just bounce ideas off each other, because while there is the issue of them hearing and not listening, there's also the half listening. They decide to implement a great idea fans have been talking about wanting for the longest but they water it down so much or miss such obvious things that depending on what the idea was, you wonder was there a point in even adding it anyway. So a good back and forth would be awesome.

Them not being able to talk about future content will probably interfere with something like that as well. :disappointed:
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited November 2016
    I agree with a lot of what has been said already. I wouldn't call myself a huge builder but I had been getting more and more into it by the end of the Sims 3 and I know some players are having a fine time with what's provided in the Sims 4, but it really does feel to me like to get what we got we had to give up a lot of what we had. In some cases, at least to me, it simply doesn't feel like it was worth it.

And I so agree with the hearing but not listening thing. Until there's proof that they're actually listening there won't be much peace in the valley. The fact that they can't talk about much of anything right now doesn't help either. At this rate, in regards to the Sims 4, I don't think anything will help with how players feel if the players in question have deep, core issues with the game. If there is a Sims 5, the issues people are having with EA and the Sims 4 right now are definitely going to play a role in people's feelings towards the game. A lot of us were on the fence with 4, so I can just imagine how it'll be with 5.

Hopefully, if they decide to have a Sims 5 there will be a lot of listening and not just hearing the players. It would be nice to have a lot of open and in depth communication on the actual game forums before or at the beginning stages. For them to feed us their ideas, for us to feed them our ideas and have back and forth conversations about what and how we'd like to see things done. Just bounce ideas off each other, because while there is the issue of them hearing and not listening, there's also the half listening. They decide to implement a great idea fans have been talking about wanting for the longest but they water it down so much or miss such obvious things that depending on what the idea was, you wonder was there a point in even adding it anyway. So a good back and forth would be awesome.

Them not being able to talk about future content will probably interfere with something like that as well. :disappointed:

I would like to add to this with a simple question: how many non-builders have benefited from builders?

I could say the same about mod creators, world creators, and CC creators, etc.

Does cutting the throat of one who is able to deliver a good thing? No need to answer.

The question isn't really directed to you. ;)
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    urygauryga Posts: 559 Member
    Why are they paying someone to make our worlds look pretty, wasn't that suppose to be our job and game play fun?.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member

I would like to add to this with a simple question: how many non-builders have benefited from builders?

Does cutting the throat of one who is able to deliver a good thing? No need to answer.

I would say a lot more now that we have the gallery ;)

We may have lost some creativity tools, but we've gained a lot in the ease of showcasing and distributing creations I think.
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    Neia wrote: »

We may have lost some creativity tools, but we've gained a lot in the ease of showcasing and distributing creations I think.

The Exchange was in Sims 3 - and there were loads of showcase threads in the Creative Corner.

Also, I don't think that was exactly what @kremesch73 meant. I think what they were trying to say (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that because Sims 4 building has been so scaled back, anyone can do it now.

Or I could have that completely wrong, but that's how I read it!
  • Options
    aricarai wrote: »

The Exchange was in Sims 3 - and there were loads of showcase threads in the Creative Corner.

Also, I don't think that was exactly what @kremesch73 meant. I think what they were trying to say (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that because Sims 4 building has been so scaled back, anyone can do it now.

Or I could have that completely wrong, but that's how I read it!

It's nothing like the ease of doing it directly in game though with the gallery, there's no restarting, no browsing elsewhere, no extra steps, everything is just one click away, both for uploading and downloading. It's like the difference between selling on the Internet and having a small shop that is present at the local market once a week. They just aren't on the same level of audience and visibility.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited November 2016

That's absolutely true, I even depend on that gallery where it comes to finding great houses for my sims/neighborhoods (Newcrest is filled with them). The thing is, in Sims 3 I never ever longed for other people's buildings, because I loved building in the game myself. And still do, I still love building in 3. Even when I see a great house somewhere, I don't want to download it, I take a picture and use the ideas to build my own. And that is what this topic is about I believe.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    KelleygirlKelleygirl Posts: 599 Member
    Actually, the gallery might have made it easier to upload and download but as for "showcasing" creations, no. Creations very quickly get lost because there are so many being uploaded, and you basically have to market yourself in a showcase thread if you want anyone to see them. Not only that, you can't even take and use your own pics on the gallery.

I've spent over 2100 hours in sims 4, mostly just building. Some aspects of building are a bit easier for me, but other areas are far more restrictive. My creativity feels stifled because I am stuck with the same color choices and after building so many houses, it just feels like they are all starting to look the same.

I agree with the OP, it just feels like builders have been left behind.
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member

It's nothing like the ease of doing it directly in game though with the gallery, there's no restarting, no browsing elsewhere, no extra steps, everything is just one click away, both for uploading and downloading. It's like the difference between selling on the Internet and having a small shop that is present at the local market once a week. They just aren't on the same level of audience and visibility.

Ahh - got you - yes, that would be nice!
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Kelleygirl wrote: »
    Actually, the gallery might have made it easier to upload and download but as for "showcasing" creations, no. Creations very quickly get lost because there are so many being uploaded, and you basically have to market yourself in a showcase thread if you want anyone to see them. Not only that, you can't even take and use your own pics on the gallery.

I've spent over 2100 hours in sims 4, mostly just building. Some aspects of building are a bit easier for me, but other areas are far more restrictive. My creativity feels stifled because I am stuck with the same color choices and after building so many houses, it just feels like they are all starting to look the same.

That's true. The houses I found were via a website that highlighted some; searching in the gallery itself (unless I'm missing something) is an ordeal.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

That's true. The houses I found were via a website that highlighted some; searching in the gallery itself (unless I'm missing something) is an ordeal.

But founding something you like on a website, following the link to the gallery and being able to access all the other user's creations is pretty neat. As is being able to follow a creator you like.

Searching directly in the gallery has worked for me, I've done it for rooms and terrains mostly. I like that I can filter by type, size and price. Then I usually browse the Popular now category until I find something that is in the style I'm looking for, and picking the ones I enjoy along the way. I could probably find better results with a proper use of hashtags too.
  • Options
    SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 963 Member
    City Life was a huge let down for building. There is 0 customization. I want to be able to build the skyscraper! I can't even make the apartments mine. I miss having different levels of terrain, garages and driveways.
    giphy.gif

Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
    Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3

• Options

But founding something you like on a website, following the link to the gallery and being able to access all the other user's creations is pretty neat. As is being able to follow a creator you like.

Searching directly in the gallery has worked for me, I've done it for rooms and terrains mostly. I like that I can filter by type, size and price. Then I usually browse the Popular now category until I find something that is in the style I'm looking for, and picking the ones I enjoy along the way. I could probably find better results with a proper use of hashtags too.
    Yes, it is, I definitely am a fan of the gallery, the flexibility of it all. In the beginning I remember selecting what Maxis recommended, but I'm under the impression that doesn't guarantee quality anymore? Never tried popular now though, that may be a good alternative.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    I was very disappointed that there was not one empty lot for builders to build on in CL. It seems like they did not want builders to build at all!
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
  • Options
    celipoesiascelipoesias Posts: 433 Member
    I share the same thought. The Sims 4 build mode is great, full of features and new tools that add incredible detail to the house, but there are still some extremely basic tools that make a huge lack and creates a constant sense of limitation, especially if we consider that the game is already 2 years old!

There are no independent foundations. If we change the height of a foundation, it will affect ALL foundations. That is unacceptable.

There is no lake tool and terrain tool. How long will players be FORCED to build artificial lakes with pools full of little rocks on the sides to disguise the edge? Consequently, if there is no terrain tool, we also have no constrainfloorelevation, which limits and much the advanced construction of the most experienced builders.

I also wonder when we can change the color of the ceiling tile.

Or when we can build ladders in L, in fact ... producers need to innovate the stairs of the game, they are very limited.
    tenor.gif
  • Options
    I would love to see something done with attics, with roof windows.
  • Options

Yes, it is, I definitely am a fan of the gallery, the flexibility of it all. In the beginning I remember selecting what Maxis recommended, but I'm under the impression that doesn't guarantee quality anymore? Never tried popular now though, that may be a good alternative.

I think "Maxis recommended" have a bigger proportion of original or wild builds, while "Popular now" has more "normal" lots when you want something that will fit with the rest of your neighborhood.

I wish we had something like the gallery for the mods though, with automatic updates and notification of outdated ones. Modding isn't that user-friendly for the mod users I think (and the frequent patching makes it even worse)