Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So This is WHY we wait one year for an expansion?

Comments

• Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    > @Pancakesandwich said:

>
    > @king_of_simcity7 I can actually somewhat understand that. They wouldn't be much found to ride around in a non-open world after all. The alternative would've been to include a huge single-lot meadow "world" for horses.

This was expected for a while.

I mean if there are no need for cars because 'Sims teleport everywhere' then what would be the point in horses?

Oh well, one les set of animations to complete...
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited May 2017
    @DeservedCriticism You're assuming that there isn't other movement on the teams in and out of EA. Plus the SimGurus make up a small proportion of the people who make the game - they're people with a public face, not all the people. So yes, a couple of people moved to a different product within the same company - not an unusual thing. Some other people came in to do their former jobs. Once you add to that all the normal movement in and out of a large part of a large company, it's not just counting to two. And she's not HR.

As for "the Sims team looking for the door", accepting a job on a new product can have plenty of motivation other than trying to get out of something that's dying. People go into industries like video game making looking for challenge and growth. Being in the beginning of a new product is challenge and growth.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Lomelindi7 wrote: »
    I think everyone who is concerned about this has a very legitimate reason. We do know Sims 4 will continue into 2018. But now that all this has come to light about mobile... I would be a fool to expect Sims 4 to last into 2019. Frankly, I'm done. Why spend money on a game that is never going to have the things I believed it would eventually get, however slowly? Shaking my head

If I think about what most people are requesting it would be pets and seasons. If those don't come in a GP it seems clearer now pets this year (our one EP) and maybe Seasons next year and then the four year mark. I don't really see them going past some part of next year at all.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited May 2017
    @DeservedCriticism You're assuming that there isn't other movement on the teams in and out of EA. Plus the SimGurus make up a small proportion of the people who make the game - they're people with a public face, not all the people. So yes, a couple of people moved to a different product within the same company - not an unusual thing. Some other people came in to do their former jobs. Once you add to that all the normal movement in and out of a large part of a large company, it's not just counting to two. And she's not HR.

I'm done. I really am. You mean to tell me Megs would EXPLICITLY inform us they moved their LEAD ANIMATOR to this mobile game, but she wouldn't bother to tell us they moved Jesus Christ over as her replacement...? That makes no sense! If it's good news, they'd tell us to calm worries because that's in their direct interest, and if it's not good news...?

I mean look, let's assume for a moment you're absolutely correct and they have all these excess developers that don't get a "SimGuru" title like all the leads cause they're not the cool kids or they smell bad or something, because that's a great way to encourage worker productivity and a sense of teamwork!!! Even if you were adamant all of this were true and even if I were to concede and assume it's true, do you honestly think this mobile release is good for Sims 4? I cannot wrap my mind around how this is good news in the slightest. As I just said, the only conceivable benefit is that someone that plays the mobile game might want to try the PC one. Given that there's no recorded history of a game doing this for other members of it's franchise to a significant degree, and Pokemon Go was such a hit that my mother and all her friends play it...? I don't think that matters to anyone but EA, who will sell a couple more copies. Will it encourage a spike in Sims 4 development? Probably not.

I'm really, really done here. For many people mobile gaming is more or less the epitome or the embodiment of sellout gaming. It's what you do when you want money, not when you want to strengthen a franchise. Even Pokemon Go was a shocker because it was Nintendo licensing the property to some tiny company that actually succeeded in doing something new, and even now it's died down significantly. There is no way this is a good sign. Zero. Yet here we are, and once again we're absolutely CLINGING to every possibility that maybe this is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow! It's not. It's the fire hydrant the dogs all like to pee on at the end of a long, miserable road. Let's just call it out for what it is.

If you want to continue trying to rationalize how this is amazingly good news for the future of the Sims series, knock yourself out. If you wanna hope and eat up whatever PR explanation they give you, go nuts. For me though...? I've heard plenty of excuses for plenty of problems at this point and I'm done with them. For me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-p-l8pYQH0

"Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    @DeservedCriticism I'm going to respectfully ask you to never quote or mention me again, thanks. I'll do the same for you, no worries there.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    Of course, it's also possible that EA is just going with the flow of modern technology, as expected. If mobile games are the big money maker, of course they're not going to leave the mobile department in the hands of a bunch of newbs, and send over some reputable devs to lead the way. Sims 4 is approaching its 3rd year, I'm sure they have their fair share of experienced devs by now so they can afford to switch some people out.

The sky might not be falling. In any case, it's not going to do me any good to freak out. I already support Sims 4 and give my feedback. That's all I can do to keep it going.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited May 2017

I'm done. I really am. You mean to tell me Megs would EXPLICITLY inform us they moved their LEAD ANIMATOR to this mobile game, but she wouldn't bother to tell us they moved Jesus Christ over as her replacement...? That makes no sense! If it's good news, they'd tell us to calm worries because that's in their direct interest, and if it's not good news...?

I mean look, let's assume for a moment you're absolutely correct and they have all these excess developers that don't get a "SimGuru" title like all the leads cause they're not the cool kids or they smell bad or something, because that's a great way to encourage worker productivity and a sense of teamwork!!! Even if you were adamant all of this were true and even if I were to concede and assume it's true, do you honestly think this mobile release is good for Sims 4? I cannot wrap my mind around how this is good news in the slightest. As I just said, the only conceivable benefit is that someone that plays the mobile game might want to try the PC one. Given that there's no recorded history of a game doing this for other members of it's franchise to a significant degree, and Pokemon Go was such a hit that my mother and all her friends play it...? I don't think that matters to anyone but EA, who will sell a couple more copies. Will it encourage a spike in Sims 4 development? Probably not.

I'm really, really done here. For many people mobile gaming is more or less the epitome or the embodiment of sellout gaming. It's what you do when you want money, not when you want to strengthen a franchise. Even Pokemon Go was a shocker because it was Nintendo licensing the property to some tiny company that actually succeeded in doing something new, and even now it's died down significantly. There is no way this is a good sign. Zero. Yet here we are, and once again we're absolutely CLINGING to every possibility that maybe this is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow! It's not. It's the fire hydrant the dogs all like to pee on at the end of a long, miserable road. Let's just call it out for what it is.

Actually, it can work that way. My stepson got heavily involved in Pokemon Go and then started watching Pokemon Go videos and wanting the Pokemon games on the Nintendo 3DS as well as other platforms, so yes, it does work that direction. People start with the simplified version and then want more complexity, which the fuller games (on PC and other platforms) offer.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited May 2017
    @DeservedCriticism I honestly think that a mobile release for Sims is not as bad or worse for Sims 4 than the mobile Sims releases ever were for the Sims PC games in the past. Sorry, I'm really not down with this whole idea that a company can't develop two parts of a franchise at the same time without one getting the shaft. I don't see this having been an issue in the past, and I see no reason why it would obviously be so now. Nor do I think that the sky is falling because a senior producer shifted from one product to another. Game-making is a huge collective effort. The pieces of that collective normally shift over time, for all sorts of reasons - shifting career interests, new opportunities, family taking priority... - and the sky doesn't fall. What you are seeing is not some sort of weird thing that will kill a game. It's just the particular reason one particular person - one you happen to know about only because she has a public-facing role - changed her job role. It's not the kind of earth-shattering thing you seem to believe. Senior creative people move around in creative industries all the time, and franchises keep going. You just don't normally hear about it. (I hear about it in my industry because I subscribe to a $$$ trade publication. It rarely affects products left behind - this is planned for - and it often results in exciting new things as different groups of people begin to work together.)

EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    The previous sims mobile games weren't a direct "threat" if you will to the main game I.e the pc version. The sims 3 game on mobile was a complete waste of time. Free play for all its positive points and unique content was not trying to be the sims 3 or 4. A lot of simmers were put off by real time activities and micro transactions. This new game looks to be the sims 4 on mobile with similar features and already we know it has things the main game doesn't have. The sims free play isn't going anywhere so what is the point of this game?

I read a few of the Gurus have moved to the mobile team. And while they may be replaced, what does it say when the best go to the new project? If the future of the franchise is not mobile then why has the forum changed around and suddenly centre stage is the sims mobile?

I do think the writing is on the wall for the sims 4 but to admit that would result in players voting with their wallets and leaving the game.
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    To me, it doesn't look like Sims Mobile is center stage on the forums. The Sims is still up at the top, and yes, they have condensed the subcategories, but they are all still there, and honestly, it was kind of cluttered the way it was before.
  • Options
    AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    If this means less focus on TS4 and lower quality DLC products ( since apparently the lead animator moved ), I don't see myself playing TS4 for much longer.

Though I am a bit ill-informed. What are the features in Mobile that the PC version lacks?
  • Options
    samlyt22samlyt22 Posts: 527 Member
    I don't see why people are freaking out over the changing teams. Lets look at it using a simplified version, you have a team of 10 people working on a game, 6 are experienced and 4 are newish. Then you want to introduce a new game, you now need a team of 10 people, would you really want 10 newbies to run that game? Or would you move a couple of experienced people over to run it knowing there will then be experienced people on both games?

Maybe this is signalling the end, maybe it's not, but ultimately it's just a game. To those criticising those that are optimistic and hopeful, that's just the way some people live their lives. Personally I will always look on the bright side of any situation, I know that no matter what things will work out and that at the end of the day it is just a game and not worth getting so stressed over.
  • Options
    angelchromeangelchrome Posts: 421 Member
    Pegasys wrote: »
    To me, it doesn't look like Sims Mobile is center stage on the forums. The Sims is still up at the top, and yes, they have condensed the subcategories, but they are all still there, and honestly, it was kind of cluttered the way it was before.
    General is actually at the top. It's probably an oversight but makes a sad statement IMO.
    samlyt22 wrote: »
    I don't see why people are freaking out over the changing teams.
    I can understand why people might be freaking out but honestly with all of the broken gameplay and longs waits for less than stellar Packs I think a few folks might need to find another calling in life...maybe mobile games, maybe something else.

Overall I don't think Sims 4 has any direction or ever did.
    I do think this Sims mobile stuff makes it look worse.
    Hard truth, reality and perception are not synonymous...
  • Options
    JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member

I don't think this has nothing to do with the year-gap between EPs. however this is coming from the same company (EA) and I feel completely betrayed. I spent a lot of money on this game and now they're resleasing a free mobile version which not only has the same features than the PC version but also new features we've long been requesting...

Do you really think the mobile game will have all of the same features as the current version of Sims 4.....for free? Come on, that wouldn't even make sense. They would spend time and money developing a free mobile game as an act of charity? Just like many, many other mobile games, there will be a base game and you'll have to spend money on a lot of microtransactions to unlock stuff.
  • Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    mobile app = money sink.

Here is the base game ... you want part X ... please pay 99 cents. You want Y, please pay 1.99.

No mods, no CC ...
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Triplis wrote: »
    1) The laundry pack wait is because there's another stuff pack coming before it and involving us in the process of a stuff pack means they had to get us involved very early in the process.

2) It is very likely a completely different team. At most, maybe some advisement from top people who have worked on the sims, and maybe some inter-department requests or communication. TS4 has quarterly profits to maintain; they can't just toss their existing teams into something else casually.

At least 1 SP, probably at least 1 or 2 others.

And yes it's "free" -- but with a lot of hidden costs; Sims will do things in real time (so if you send them to work they won't be home for 6 to 8 hours in actuality) or you can "speed up" time by paying some sort of premium fee, which means either watching ads to earn points in game or you pay real money to do it. That's how those "free" games make all their money, either through ads or through micro-transactions.

As @TheGoodOldGamer said, the mobile team is completely separate from the PC game team. One has nothing to do with the other in terms of production schedule. It would be like UFC players complaining about no new content for their game because EA is wasting their time with Sims 4. :/
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Pretty sure the team that makes the mobile games is different than the teams that create the main games. Just throwing that out there. I doubt one has much to do with the other.

Just updating you. The SimsVIP has a list of gurus from TS4 moving over to the mobile game.

This SimsRIP could have a list of what every guru has for lunch every day for all I care. What little interest I may have ever had in them left when they trashed a guru and member of this forum back last summer or whenever it was. True colors and all that. Appreciate the intent though.

Also, game devs move from project to project. From what I've seen around here, it's only two people anyway.

Let me check if the sky is falling outside. :p
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    I'm highly unimpressed by this mobile version, because it's literally TS4. But I don't think that it will really affect TS4 PC much. I mean, all the other games had spin-offs. Sims Freeplay, Sims Medieval, Castaway etc. There were people that complained (like us hahah), but there were also many people who enjoyed it, and the spin-offs didn't replace the iteration or make them halt. Things continued as usual. So do I see this as "proof" that TS4 will end next year or 2019? No, I still think that it will last at least until 2020. And if you disagree, you have the right to. Just don't attack other people if they don't share your views... I see a lot of heated arguing over here. But I see that it is mostly the people who have long ago decided that they think TS4 is doomed, who are claiming that this is the end.
  • Options
    Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    I don't usually come into this section but I'm going to quell some things:

1. The Sims Mobile has zero affect on what is going on with the PC product. They are separate teams within Maxis and one does not affect the other.
    2. The Sims 4 is still going strong and we have no plans to stop development anytime soon, I've stated this many times previously.
    3. You do not know the size of our teams or how many employees we have on either team so trying to spell out "doomsday" on a product that was stated as being in good standing by our CEO today doesn't seem like a good use of your time.

So #DontPanic and give our mobile family a chance to show you what they are capable of.

Thank you very much for clarifying :)
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2017

1. The Sims Mobile has zero affect on what is going on with the PC product. They are separate teams within Maxis and one does not affect the other.
    2. The Sims 4 is still going strong and we have no plans to stop development anytime soon, I've stated this many times previously.
    3. You do not know the size of our teams or how many employees we have on either team so trying to spell out "doomsday" on a product that was stated as being in good standing by our CEO today doesn't seem like a good use of your time.

So #DontPanic and give our mobile family a chance to show you what they are capable of.

Good to know, we are debating how long we think TS4 will last. I hope I'm not spreading doom and gloom. I don't expect it to go past the usual four years. We'll see, since I could use more than one EP a year. :)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    @DeservedCriticism
    Pokemon Go actually led to an increase of sales for Nintendo, that's what Nintendo said in one of their earnings release :
    "The release of the smart device application Pokémon Go led to increased sales of software in the Pokémon series released in the past and drove the Nintendo 3DS family hardware sales growth, particularly outside of Japan."

I'm probably not in the mobile traget (I never spend any money on a mobile game) but if it can bring some people, I'd say it could be a good thing. It's not the first Sims game that isn't from the same franchise anyway. There were console games or stories game before, which didn't appeal to me either; now it's on mobile.
  • Options
    NeverSeemsToEndNeverSeemsToEnd Posts: 292 Member
    edited May 2017
    It's weird knowing that my pc version of this game is a somewhat a polish version of a mobile game, even the system to travel between worlds!! I don't understand what they are trying to do, if the point is ruin this franshise they are on the right track. :cry:
    Origin ID: NeverSeemsToEnd
  • Options
    PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

Good to know, we are debating how long we think TS4 will last. I hope I'm not spreading doom and gloom. I don't expect it to go past the usual four years. We'll see, since I could use more than one EP a year. :)

I think TS2 lasted 4 years, and TS3 lasted 5 years. Perhaps there is a trend there and TS4 will last 6 years (ie until 2020).

I'm just concerned that they will not have time to release everything that's still missing from the game....
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top