Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are you really going to buy bowling alleys for the 3rd time?

Comments

• Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    @JoAnne65 I'm not American but yes I can get free sim points by watching ads. I only started getting store content this year once I got a pc built for the sims 3. I have a fair bit of content that I've not paid a single penny for in real money.

I completely agree about the "my sims need this for more things to do" mentality and while I understand that view point I don't feel that way about the sims 3 store content. Some of it I haven't gotten to play with in game because there is so much to do with all the EPs and SPs and I don't feel my game is boring without my store content. My store content enhances my game play, it's not necessary. In fact when I play the sims 3 on my husbands rig I don't use store content and I still have a great experience. I can't say I would have a great experience with the sims 4 and no stuff packs. The game would be boring.
  • Options
    nakibotnakibot Posts: 176 Member
    I will buy it.
  • Options
    taigoesrawrtaigoesrawr Posts: 812 Member
    Yes.. I am going to buy it. Just like I've boughten everything else in TheSims that appeals to me. :flushed:
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited March 2017
    I just don't know how any of us can say the product is overpriced if we don't have the design, development, and distribution costs (oh yeah - marketing too, though they don't buy expensive per-add-on TV ads etc.), the unit sales, or the distribution of those unit sales. We actually have no idea if they're charging twice as much as they need to to get a reasonable profit. Not a clue. "Not as much as I want to pay"? Sure. "Doesn't seem like good value to me"? Sure. But for all the data we have they might be selling us these packs at bargain basement prices. I mean, I know people who'll tell me that books are overpriced, but having actually worked with creating production budgets with various presumed sales figures? No, they really, really aren't. (Caveat: I suspect that university textbooks are overpriced today; when I was working with their production budgets, they weren't, but on the outside of those budgets, they're currently leaving me suspicious. Would love to see the inside of a current one again to find out how they get to those retail prices.)

For the record, if you count inflation (and I'm looking overall US inflation, not OMG-Bay-Area inflation), in today's dollars, a $20 stuff pack from 2006 (mid-Sims 2) would be $24.17 today; we're paying $10 for a stuff pack. A $40 EP from 2012 (two years into Sims 3) would be $42.44 today, but we're still paying $40. A $20 stuff pack from 2012 would be $21.22, but we're paying less than that for a game pack, and I'm pretty sure nobody here is going to successfully argue that there's less in a Sims 4 game pack than there was in a Sims 3 stuff pack. Dollar-to-dollar, I don't see how we're getting less value. I just don't. Less stuff a particular person likes for that money? Sure. But that's purely subjective, and I doubt there's ever, at any time, been a pack that every Simmer wanted.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Just think OP< now with a teen hangout lot trait you can rig a bowling alley just for teens. That's not such a bad idea. And then you could possibly add other things you want them to do there, that would go along with bowling. Richer Sims could hire staff to run the café thingy, and viola, a social hangout with fun and food, music and I guess closet mess around (woohoo) for some who like the closets. Kid hangout lot trait would have worked for bowling also. Or how about elderly hangout lot trait, since some believe bowling is just for those baby boomers who used to do this in their youth since they didn't have omg, an iPad back then. lol Where they can bowl and sit around and talk about their glory days.

I would like to see miniature golf courses for TS4, but remember there is a difference in miniature golf and putt putt golf...one more serious and being a tournament course and the other being kiddy friendly for fun. :D
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    I just don't know how any of us can say the product is overpriced if we don't have the design, development, and distribution costs (oh yeah - marketing too, though they don't buy expensive per-add-on TV ads etc.), the unit sales, or the distribution of those unit sales. We actually have no idea if they're charging twice as much as they need to to get a reasonable profit. Not a clue. "Not as much as I want to pay"? Sure. "Doesn't seem like good value to me"? Sure. But for all the data we have they might be selling us these packs at bargain basement prices. I mean, I know people who'll tell me that books are overpriced, but having actually worked with creating production budgets with various presumed sales figures? No, they really, really aren't. (Caveat: I suspect that university textbooks are overpriced today; when I was working with their production budgets, they weren't, but on the outside of those budgets, they're currently leaving me suspicious. Would love to see the inside of a current one again to find out how they get to those retail prices.)

For the record, if you count inflation (and I'm looking overall US inflation, not OMG-Bay-Area inflation), in today's dollars, a $20 stuff pack from 2006 (mid-Sims 2) would be $24.17 today; we're paying $10 for a stuff pack. A $40 EP from 2012 (two years into Sims 3) would be $42.44 today, but we're still paying $40. A $20 stuff pack from 2012 would be $21.22, but we're paying less than that for a game pack, and I'm pretty sure nobody here is going to successfully argue that there's less in a Sims 4 game pack than there was in a Sims 3 stuff pack. Dollar-to-dollar, I don't see how we're getting less value. I just don't. Less stuff a particular person likes for that money? Sure. But that's purely subjective, and I doubt there's ever, at any time, been a pack that every Simmer wanted.

You didn't include the costs they don't have any more. Producing a physical item, packaging, POP advertising and transport. They still create some packaging but when I go into a store I see very few Sims boxes on a shelf and the cost to print a code wouldn't be the same as producing a CD.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    edited March 2017

You didn't include the costs they don't have any more. Producing a physical item, packaging, POP advertising and transport. They still create some packaging but when I go into a store I see very few Sims boxes on a shelf and the cost to print a code wouldn't be the same as producing a CD.

That's part of distribution, which I listed as one of the things we don't know the costs of. Yes, those distribution costs are possibly now lower overall. We have no idea whether that's accounted for in the pricing (which has not risen with inflation) or not. Maybe it's part of what lets them have $10 SPs not $20 SPs now. Maybe it's part of why pricing hasn't risen with inflation. Maybe it means they make piles of moolah? Overall, I doubt it. Lots of other costs will have risen.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member

I don't know what the costs are, but that's part of Distribution.

I guess we learned differently. I was always taught that the actual COG and distribution was separate.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options

I don't know what the costs are, but that's part of Distribution.

I guess we learned differently. I was always taught that the actual COG and distribution was separate.

Well, I intended it as part of distribution anyway, broadly speaking.
  • Options
    MarktnMarktn Posts: 554 Member
    Yes Yes Yes
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    I'm not. (Unless I get it for real cheap on Black Friday.) It's been done and done! Can't they come up with something new? Like miniature golf or something. Bowling isn't that great. After having it in the last 2 games, it's boring now too.

I didn't have the pack with bowling in it for TS2 and rarely used it in TS3. As usual I will wait and see what the LPs look like before making up my mind. I agree it would be fun to have something new to try like tennis or baseball but please for the love of mike not cricket !!
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2017
    I'm guessing there are some here who are not fans of this sport. I used to love to bowl. At my peak I had a 165 average, was Captain of my Bowling Team and yes, I played for 12 straight years! When you're the Anchor, you know you're getting good. You're the last on your team to bowl and it's up to you. (But, no pressure. :pensive:) I even played a few of those years on two league. Ladies on Thursday mornings, and Friday Nights with my hubby on a mixed league. Lots of fun and a great break from the children!

I was also on a bowling league for many years - I started with the Brunswick Kids Bowling League - "Into the Zone, the Brunswick Zone" was their motto. My best game was 287 - I was so proud of that trophy even though I never did reach a perfect 300 - I got close. It was also an activity I enjoyed all through my teens and then years later with my own kids as well. Lots of members of my family love bowling with our families - so yes I would always play it in the Sims too.

ETA -DeservedCriticism - Well I own the entire Sims 3 store and I bought from the Sims 3 store to get worlds and non-rabbit hole venues especially. Without the store in Sims 3 most venues were rabbit holes - but with the store I have tons of businesses (and activities) one enjoyed visiting and doing things in. Believe me it was not sps at all. But this is Sims 4 - and there is no stores and no buying worlds or needing a store for non-rabbit hole venues. Sims 4 is very different than Sims 3 - I still love Sims 3 as I do have everything for the game and it does play great for me - but I am also loving Sims 4 - well now that they added toddlers and Vamps - and I want all the fun things I enjoy in Sims 3 in the game I am presently playing. Also unlike previous Sims games the sps in Sims 4 are very reasonable and have a lot more than just stuff - they have depth and game play - and all for just 10 dollars. Really - if you think about it how much do you generally get now a days for 10 bucks? I know my hubby stops at a store for a loaf of bread, a gallon of milk, and a pack of chewing gum - and drops 10 bucks each time - just to have to do the same thing over 1 or 2 more times a week. But for the same 10 bucks I can get these amazing stuff packs - just once and have them forever to have tons of fun with. I cannot see the argument here as being valid when we are talking about Sims 4 stuff packs. They are a whole different thing than in previous games - and they are also made so well compared to previous Sims games stuff packs. So no question about it - I will probably buy all stuff packs and game packs for Sims 4 because they are worth the money (they are so much more) - unlike earlier Sims games. It is truly comparing a cupcake to a whole three course meal comparing Sims 2/3 stuff packs to Sims 4 ones.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I'm guessing there are some here who are not fans of this sport. I used to love to bowl. At my peak I had a 165 average, was Captain of my Bowling Team and yes, I played for 12 straight years! When you're the Anchor, you know you're getting good. You're the last on your team to bowl and it's up to you. (But, no pressure. :pensive:) I even played a few of those years on two league. Ladies on Thursday mornings, and Friday Nights with my hubby on a mixed league. Lots of fun and a great break from the children!

I was also on a bowling league for many years - I started with the Brunswick Kids Bowling League - "Into the Zone, the Brunswick Zone" was their motto. My best game was 287 - I was so proud of that trophy even though I never did reach a perfect 300 - I got close. It was also an activity I enjoyed all through my teens and then years later with my own kids as well. Lots of members of my family love bowling with our families - so yes I would always play it in the Sims too.

I bowled in a league when I was a kid and there was a bowling alley at every base I was stationed at so I've done my fair share of bowling as well. I was never really good at it, I think my lifetime average is around 145 and my best game ever was a 203.
    287 is impressive.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I'm not. (Unless I get it for real cheap on Black Friday.) It's been done and done! Can't they come up with something new? Like miniature golf or something. Bowling isn't that great. After having it in the last 2 games, it's boring now too.

I didn't have the pack with bowling in it for TS2 and rarely used it in TS3. As usual I will wait and see what the LPs look like before making up my mind. I agree it would be fun to have something new to try like tennis or baseball but please for the love of mike not cricket !!

You had sims 2 without Nightlife? Means you never had cars for Sims 2? How horrible. And sad. Building ones own car in Sims 2 is still fun - and downtown Sims 2 was so worth it. Some of the best venues in Sims 2 is in the downtown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76Urghrdh6g

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    Yup! Looks like fun! I don't think I bought it for Sims 3, so it would only be twice for me.

But I'll probably wait until pets expansion comes out. I hate pets and seasons, so it will give me something to look forward to, while everyone else is talking about pets.
  • Options
    TyrircKidTyrircKid Posts: 52 Member
    well i'm going for vampires first since i don't have that one... though my biggest priority are the expansion packs... of wich i currently have all the ones that are out of (and some other packs like the halloween one and the kids stuff pack also spa day and dine out)
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

You had sims 2 without Nightlife? Means you never had cars for Sims 2? How horrible. And sad. Building ones own car in Sims 2 is still fun - and downtown Sims 2 was so worth it. Some of the best venues in Sims 2 is in the downtown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76Urghrdh6g

Yes I had Nightlife but I also had one seriously slowwww computer. I used a couple of the restaurants and shops in Downtown but it took ages to get there. This is why I hate loading screens. I never knew !!! Thanks Reg I shall go explore TS2U very carefully :):)
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member

Yeah, now there's server costs and maintenance instead. ;) I'm pretty sure it's not drastically cheaper. Digital distribution isn't free.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    i was hoping for other games, new bar selling milkshakes, fries, burgers, beer like in real bowling venue near me.

the trailer was boring and the only thing i like is the bowling item.

could pass this one

EP4 Please

stuff packs mostly even with premium content are boring me to death.

will wait and maybe add it later with other decent premium content.
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Just think OP< now with a teen hangout lot trait you can rig a bowling alley just for teens. That's not such a bad idea. And then you could possibly add other things you want them to do there, that would go along with bowling. Richer Sims could hire staff to run the café thingy, and viola, a social hangout with fun and food, music and I guess closet mess around (woohoo) for some who like the closets. Kid hangout lot trait would have worked for bowling also. Or how about elderly hangout lot trait, since some believe bowling is just for those baby boomers who used to do this in their youth since they didn't have omg, an iPad back then. lol Where they can bowl and sit around and talk about their glory days.

I would like to see miniature golf courses for TS4, but remember there is a difference in miniature golf and putt putt golf...one more serious and being a tournament course and the other being kiddy friendly for fun. :D

Not to burst your bubble about the "Teen Hangout" lot trait but it is pretty much useless. It only causes teens to walk by more often.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    marcel21 wrote: »
    i was hoping for other games, new bar selling milkshakes, fries, burgers, beer like in real bowling venue near me.

could pass this one

EP4 Please

Well having the head dev of eps say they were taking a year or more per ep - I would go a bit nuts with nothing new to add to this game as it is still a bit behind in content compared to Sims 2 or 3 by this time - so I will buy the sps and gps if that is what they are mostly concentrating on. At only one a year - that is a long wait when this game is still playing catch up. LOL.

You have far more patience than I do when it comes to The Sims games. There is so much I want to see for the Sims 4 that I have a feeling we won't see if we just wait for the eps -

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    The new lot trait isn't useless. :| It makes more teens spawn on the lot, which consists of the semi-open neighborhood area, not just the build zone. Which allows for your Sims to meet more teens, which is the whole point. Sims are attracted to the build zone area by the objects on it, as well as the lot type with the venu AI stuff (whether it's a park, or bar, or cafe or the like).

I have a feeling once the bowling pack comes out, that the bowling lane item will attract teens to use it, and you'll see them more often 'flock' to the loaded building. I'm not sure there are many, if any, objects that specifically pull teens to them right now. Maybe basketball or the arcade machine or something?
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member

could pass this one

EP4 Please

Oh my gosh that is an awesome idea then you could make like a 50's diner if we had that. Though I don't think bowling fits that era.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options

could pass this one

EP4 Please

Oh my gosh that is an awesome idea then you could make like a 50's diner if we had that. Though I don't think bowling fits that era.

Well bowling dates back to 3200bc so not an era kind of game really. But it was pretty big in the 50's as many tv shows from that era showed bowling - like Happy Days for one. But for literally centuries people have been doing some kind of bowling.

1900's were quite popular - http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lstzdd9Vdq1qdhv0mo1_500.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowling

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    Of course I'm getting it! They have a pink flamingo shirt! I love pink flamingos I actually collect stuff that have flamingos :)
    21mbz47.jpg