Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ok do I really need a gaming computer to only play the sims 4

MinaiMinai Posts: 706 Member
There is a computer I want for $400 the most.
The only game I will be playing on the computer is the sims 4 and some of their expansion packs. Literally that is it, so I don't understand why I need a computer around $600-1000 to use

Comments

• Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    My current PC wasn't built for gaming, but runs TS4 and a bunch of the packs without a problem.

I think a part of the plan for TS4, was for it to be able to run smoothly on the average non-gaming PC.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    MinaiMinai Posts: 706 Member
    Glad to hear. Do you mind telling me what pc you have?
  • Options
    UltheaFuUltheaFu Posts: 64 Member
    You could probably get something custom made off of newegg or something. Unfortunately the viability of computers is very short-lived, technology and graphics are always getting better which makes the lower-end computers (or even 'good' older computers) struggle to keep up. The Sims 4 is using the advancements we've made and that unfortunately may not work with computers you can get off the shelf for $400.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Minai wrote: »

A DIY, my housemates former spare PC. :p

I think it was originally built for photo editing, but it now has my rather old nvidia graphics card added.

Come to think of it, I can also run TS2 on this old thing, without any trouble, including 3 Eps and a bunch of stuff packs.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited December 2016
    Minai wrote: »

The game does require a gaming PC. You need to look at recommended specs to survive the game as it adds more and more. The game is not complete. USD desktop $700 and up average. Laptop $1000 average depending on sales. Prices vary in other countries . $400 will not get you a computer that will run or survive this game. I would save up.

This is the lowest I would go http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-ultra-desktop-amd-fx-black-edition-series-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-480-1tb-hard-drive-black/5615010.p?skuId=5615010
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Movotti wrote: »
    My current PC wasn't built for gaming, but runs TS4 and a bunch of the packs without a problem.

I think a part of the plan for TS4, was for it to be able to run smoothly on the average non-gaming PC.

This is not true. The games requirements are for a mid range gaming desktop. Your game maybe running ok so far but the game is not complete. There are plenty who have posted in tech who have low end computers that can no longer play the game.

$400 wont even get you a dedicated video card

always look at recommended specs to survive the game as it adds more and more

RECOMMENDED SPECS:
    PROCESSOR: Intel core i5 or faster, AMD Athlon X4
    VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GTX 650 or better
    MEMORY: 4 GB RAM
    HARD DRIVE: 15 GB of Hard Drive space
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I usually just consult Game Debate when it comes to specs for PC games. Lol

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=24139&game=The Sims 4: City Living

Although I think I should be set for most games because my GPU should last me a couple of years. CPU's okay too. c:
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    I usually just consult Game Debate when it comes to specs for PC games. Lol

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=24139&game=The Sims 4: City Living

Although I think I should be set for most games because my GPU should last me a couple of years. CPU's okay too. c:

I would not use those or can you run it type webs. They don't add patches , packs etc. Every time you add something (even a patch) to the game, the game becomes more demanding so look at EA's web for recommended requirements (posted above) to be able to survive the game as it adds more and more.
  • Options
    DarkSuperNinjaDarkSuperNinja Posts: 1,204 Member
    edited December 2016
    Personally, for TS4 specs, I'd look at how demanding TS3 Island Paradise is! If you want to be safe, go for a PC that can handle Island Paradise on high or max settings (or TS3 with all the expansions on high or max settings).

It SOUNDS expensive, but it's much cheaper than you'd expect to get a PC that could last the whole TS4 lifecycle. I'd even go as far to say that comparing it to TS3 is pretty excessive (TS4 base game can run on Windows XP for God's sake, it's hardly hardware-heavy)! xD
  • Options

This is not true.
    Are you trying to tell me that my PC was built for gaming, when I'm saying that it wasn't?
    My housemate is not a gamer, he's a photo editor, none of his PCs have ever been built for gaming. All that has been added to this PC is my graphics card, from my old PC, which was built for gaming.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    edited December 2016

This is not true.
    Are you trying to tell me that my PC was built for gaming, when I'm saying that it wasn't?
    My housemate is not a gamer, he's a photo editor, none of his PCs have ever been built for gaming. All that has been added to this PC is my graphics card, from my old PC, which was built for gaming.

It depends. Sometimes you do need a good computer to do photo editing like for programs like Photoshop for it to not lag. So maybe your computer is more decent than you know it. But again, it also depends on the setting you're playing TS4 on.

I could also say that no, you don't need a gaming PC to run the game but then you will have to play it on the lowest settings just so you don't 'hurt' your computer. That's why we always recommend people to get a gaming PC (doesn't have to be the most high end one but more like a decent one), just so you could play the game with really good settings and have little fps issues and not ruin the hardware in your computer.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2016

This is not true.

No I was saying that this games requirements are for a mid range gaming PC so posting that this game does not require a gaming PC is not true. The game is not complete. Your computer may run the game now but it may not in the future as the game adds more and more.

I believe you also mentioned you do have an Nvidia card. OP wont even get an Nvidia card for $400 worthy of being able to survive this game. They need a budget of at least $600
  • Options
    DeKay wrote: »

This is not true.

It depends. Sometimes you do need a good computer to do photo editing like for programs like Photoshop for it to not lag. So maybe your computer is more decent than you know it. But again, it also depends on the setting you're playing TS4 on.

I could also say that no, you don't need a gaming PC to run the game but then you will have to play it on the lowest settings just so you don't 'hurt' your computer. That's why we always recommend people to get a gaming PC (doesn't have to be the most high end one but more like a decent one), just so you could play the game with really good settings and have little fps issues and not ruin the hardware in your computer.

$400 will get someone a computer that is good for browsing the web, light computer tasks and steaming a movie. You do need a gaming PC to survive this game as it adds more and more. The game is not complete. We have several people with low end computers that can no longer run the game. EA put recommended specs there for a reason and it is a mid range gaming desktop
  • Options

This is not true.

No I was saying that this games requirements are for a mid range gaming PC so posting that this game does not require a gaming PC is not true. The game is not complete. Your computer may run the game now but it may not in the future as the game adds more and more.

I believe you also mentioned you do have an Nvidia card. OP wont even get an Nvidia card for $400 worthy of being able to survive this game. They need a budget of at least $600

My last PC, was built for gaming, and only cost $600AUD. Which is about $450USD. :P
  • Options

This is not true.

My last PC, was built for gaming, and only cost $600AUD. Which is about $450USD. :P

Prices vary in different countries. Off the shelf in the USA your looking at around $600 or more. If OP can build all the more power to them. They would have to build themselves and buy older series hardware even if the hardware is new. I don't know if they could do that for $450. Windows alone is expensive. Even if they could build at $450 they might wind up having to upgrade the computer before this game is finished.
  • Options

This is not true.

Prices vary in different countries. Off the shelf in the USA your looking at around $600 or more. If OP can build all the more power to them. They would have to build themselves and buy older series hardware even if the hardware is new. I don't know if they could do that for $450. Windows alone is expensive. Even if they could build at $450 they might wind up having to upgrade the computer before this game is finished.

Are you telling me that computers can be cheaper in Australia? O.O
    And here I was, thinking that everything was more expensive downunder. :/
  • Options
    edited December 2016

This is not true.

Are you telling me that computers can be cheaper in Australia? O.O
    And here I was, thinking that everything was more expensive downunder. :/

As far as I know they are more expensive in Aus but if you managed to somehow build something the equivalent of $450 USD you got a good deal if it had decent specs. @chesterbigbird is in Aus and she is an expert builder. As far as I know $450 is a low budget to build something here in the USA . Windows 10 alone is around $100. For this game your looking at 150 for AMD fx or around $200 for intel i5 on a processor. around $150 for a video card. You haven't even added ram, motherboard, PSU, case etc. $600 would be a better budget to build rather than buying off the shelf with generic hardware
  • Options
    McFizzleShizzleMcFizzleShizzle Posts: 1,632 Member
    I play the Sims 4 on my macbook pro laptop and I've never had any memory issues with either the game or the files I have saved. This will probably change with the more content I buy for the game, but for now I'm working fine without a special gaming PC.
    tumblr_msx1lynGG41rd67d1o1_500.gif
    Origin ID: McFizzleShizzle
  • Options
    I play the Sims 4 on my macbook pro laptop and I've never had any memory issues with either the game or the files I have saved. This will probably change with the more content I buy for the game, but for now I'm working fine without a special gaming PC.

The game on Mac is different than PC laptop or desktop and a lot more expensive, You won't get a Mac with a $400 budget
  • Options
    SoniaSimmerSoniaSimmer Posts: 85 Member
    Nah, you don't need a gaming computer. I can play all generations of Sims as well as other games like Skyrim in a laptop that is not meant for gaming (though mine cost around 600$ back in the day, I couldn't find a decent laptop for less than that). I play them all on high graphics, so don't worry, you don't need a super computer :)
    resubida_zps0kskeuy1.gif

• Options
    PancakesandwichPancakesandwich Posts: 2,038 Member
    I'm playing TS4 without any problems on my notebook (which isn't a bad one, just not really built for gaming), but I do have to turn off anti aliasing entirely because that one thing lags the game extremely.
    But other than that, the options for graphical quality of Sims and objects are at maximum without any problems whatsoever, so you won't need THE computer to run this game I think :)
  • Options
    I'm playing TS4 without any problems on my notebook (which isn't a bad one, just not really built for gaming), but I do have to turn off anti aliasing entirely because that one thing lags the game extremely.
    But other than that, the options for graphical quality of Sims and objects are at maximum without any problems whatsoever, so you won't need THE computer to run this game I think :)

You do need a gaming computer.You are shortening the life span of your notebook and could damage it in the end forcing it to do something it was not designed to do. Something worth reading about computers http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Your_Computer_is_Like_a_Car
  • Options
    Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member

You do need a gaming computer.You are shortening the life span of your notebook and could damage it in the end forcing it to do something it was not designed to do. Something worth reading about computers http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Your_Computer_is_Like_a_Car

I'm with @phoebebebe13 on this one. I played Injustice: Gods Among Us on a very expensive Kindle Fire HDX tablet almost every night, and guess who wore it out after about a year and a half? :*

The same thing will happen with your computer if it's not a proper gaming computer.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    @Ravager619 My son trashed his Kindle7" HD 2nd gen I think. He carried it around with him everywhere and it did not last. I have the 10" HD version and mine still works. I hardly use it. It's good if I want to read a book or download a movie if the power goes out. I looked up this game Injustice: Gods Among Us and found it in the google store for phones. If it's an app game should not have ruined your Kindle. I do wonder how well the kindles are made If both yours and my sons did not last long from every day use. Maybe why Amazon now lowered the price of some of them. Expensive isn't always better. It's the hardware inside that counts
  • Options
    PancakesandwichPancakesandwich Posts: 2,038 Member

You do need a gaming computer.You are shortening the life span of your notebook and could damage it in the end forcing it to do something it was not designed to do. Something worth reading about computers

Oh my god xD

But it does work without any crashes since the 25th February 2015 (yes, I remembered the exact date. That was very special for me, to get away from my Windows XP computer that couldn't even handle the internet :D ). So... I guess that's good?
    I will nonetheless take this advice and use it to convince my parents of gifting me a new computer ^^