Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anybody fan running loud?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Mchap353 wrote: »
    I touched a new machine in the Apple shop without anything playing on it and it felt like getting a small electric shock.

Sims 4 is currently getting my powerful Windows laptop running hot even with the fan running underneath. This has only happened recently and I am only building houses at the moment.

Please monitor your temps http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Open the app at desktop ,leave it open, start the game when you exit the game read the app. It will read your temps on everything.Pay close attention to cpu if your over 80 c on a laptop this is bad

Thanks for the link. I have had one Acer laptop hard drive crashed by Sims 3 in the past but this laptop has a 4G Nvidia card (Updated) and all HP checked new drivers, fan underneath, oodles of CPU, Ram and space.

Not Good.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    I touched a new machine in the Apple shop without anything playing on it and it felt like getting a small electric shock.

Sims 4 is currently getting my powerful Windows laptop running hot even with the fan running underneath. This has only happened recently and I am only building houses at the moment.

Please monitor your temps http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Open the app at desktop ,leave it open, start the game when you exit the game read the app. It will read your temps on everything.Pay close attention to cpu if your over 80 c on a laptop this is bad

Thanks for the link. I have had one Acer laptop hard drive crashed by Sims 3 in the past but this laptop has a 4G Nvidia card (Updated) and all HP checked new drivers, fan underneath, oodles of CPU, Ram and space.

Not Good.

Your welcome. The sims 3 and 4 dont need all than vram. I have an ASUS ROG that has excellent cooling and no issues running the sims 3 for hours without a cooling pad . Its the sims 4 that is causing serious heat issues with cpu to my laptop and its happening to others.
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member

Lol, that's static because it's a metal surface, I get that when I touch my car :D

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member

Lol, that's static because it's a metal surface, I get that when I touch my car :D

That could make toast of the tablet wouldn't it? The Apple I inspected just vibrates and I was told that was normal by one of the staff. No wonder "Apple shoulder" is the newest affliction. I just thought that it was good that I didn't have a pacemaker.
  • Options

That could make toast of the tablet wouldn't it? The Apple I inspected just vibrates and I was told that was normal by one of the staff. No wonder "Apple shoulder" is the newest affliction. I just thought that it was good that I didn't have a pacemaker.

I get shocks all the time, including off my Mac, and haven't fried one yet. It's a build up of static electricity which discharges on contact which is the 'shock' you get. It won't harm anyone with a pacemaker and is completely different to if you get a shock through a plug/socket/live wire. I get it whenever I catch my toddler hurling himself down a slide too, he notices it and loves it, weirdly. You could test it yourself - rub your feet over a synthetic carpet then touch something afterwards, or rub a balloon on your hair and watch your hair stand on end, it's static :)

Kind of weird it was vibrating though....
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    OP, I don't have a MAC but I can promise you my fan and processors are running much louder and faster since the last patch from Origin a few weeks ago.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    aleirbag01aleirbag01 Posts: 2 New Member
    I just got my macbook air and i bought the sims 4, but when i start playing sims 4 the fan gets loud. Is something wrong or is it normal?
  • Options
    maddiem002maddiem002 Posts: 79 Member
    i have something for it just look up mac fan control free and there is a free app that you can choose how fast the fans go therefor changing how much they sound
  • Options
    aleirbag01 wrote: »
    I just got my macbook air and i bought the sims 4, but when i start playing sims 4 the fan gets loud. Is something wrong or is it normal?

The fan is running loud because your Mac is getting hot whilst you play. It's cooling itself down to avoid overheating and thereby causing damage to the components on the logic board.

If you download a 3rd party app to control fan speed, rather than let the operating system do it like it's designed to, you potentially invalidate any warranty your Mac has.

MacBook Airs have one fan, help your Mac to cool down by elevating it slightly so air can circulate underneath. And lower your graphics settings in game. MacBook Airs are great but they're not designed for gaming.

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    aleirbag01aleirbag01 Posts: 2 New Member
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > aleirbag01 wrote: »
    >
    > I just got my macbook air and i bought the sims 4, but when i start playing sims 4 the fan gets loud. Is something wrong or is it normal?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > The fan is running loud because your Mac is getting hot whilst you play. It's cooling itself down to avoid overheating and thereby causing damage to the components on the logic board.
    >
    > If you download a 3rd party app to control fan speed, rather than let the operating system do it like it's designed to, you potentially invalidate any warranty your Mac has.
    >
    > MacBook Airs have one fan, help your Mac to cool down by elevating it slightly so air can circulate underneath. And lower your graphics settings in game. MacBook Airs are great but they're not designed for gaming.

So it means when i'm playing the sims its damaging the computer? I understand that MacBooks weren't made for gaming but i was hoping that one game wouldn't be that bad.
  • Options
    aleirbag01 wrote: »
    So it means when i'm playing the sims its damaging the computer? I understand that MacBooks weren't made for gaming but i was hoping that one game wouldn't be that bad.

No, if you read my post I'm explaining that you NEED the fans to run to cool it down so it doesn't overheat. A computer with lower specs. which yours is, is going to struggle more to play the game so therefore is going to produce more heat as the processor and integrated graphics have to work harder.

Whether you play one game or 50, doesn't matter. It's how hard the game is making your computer work which is the issue and whether your computer can handle the game.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    Sandra99Sandra99 Posts: 3 New Member
    My Mac did that today, it's my first time playing sims 4 on my new mac laptop. I left it on the bed for 5 minutes, went out and when I came back in my room the laptops fan was loud. Maybe is because I left it on the bed...but it's something I'm not use to and my old laptop was not that loud.
  • Options
    Sandra99 wrote: »
    My Mac did that today, it's my first time playing sims 4 on my new mac laptop. I left it on the bed for 5 minutes, went out and when I came back in my room the laptops fan was loud. Maybe is because I left it on the bed...but it's something I'm not use to and my old laptop was not that loud.

Of course it was because you left it on the bed, no air could circulate underneath. Any laptop, PC or Mac, needs to be on a flat, hard surface so air can circulate underneath. It's common sense. Even more so for Macs because they are made out of aluminium which actually helps to dissipate the heat, provided they are not on a nice, warm comfy surface like a bed.

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    babyroo1111babyroo1111 Posts: 35 Member
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > Sandra99 wrote: »
    >
    > My Mac did that today, it's my first time playing sims 4 on my new mac laptop. I left it on the bed for 5 minutes, went out and when I came back in my room the laptops fan was loud. Maybe is because I left it on the bed...but it's something I'm not use to and my old laptop was not that loud.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Of course it was because you left it on the bed, no air could circulate underneath. Any laptop, PC or Mac, needs to be on a flat, hard surface so air can circulate underneath. It's common sense. Even more so for Macs because they are made out of aluminium which actually helps to dissipate the heat, provided they are not on a nice, warm comfy surface like a bed.

Wow! I did not know that about the fans not being able to circulate heat if on a bed. Looks like I will have to play on my crowded college desk! Haha! :p
  • Options
    I tried on a flat desk and it still gets super loud. I regret selling my old laptop. This mac was a gift and I was hoping to enjoy my Sims 4 game on it :(
  • Options
    Sandra99 wrote: »
    I tried on a flat desk and it still gets super loud. I regret selling my old laptop. This mac was a gift and I was hoping to enjoy my Sims 4 game on it :(

It will get loud because it's getting hot, it's cooling itself down. You're not potentially frying it by elevating it. If you have a MacBook Air or 13" MacBook you may be pushing it beyond its capabilities graphics wise so consider lowering the in game graphics.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    It's an Apple MacBook Pro 13.3-Inch Laptop with Retina Display, wondering if I should try out a fan for it. I really don't want to invest money on a new laptop just to play my favorite game.
  • Options
    jfoxy06jfoxy06 Posts: 31 Member
    I've been using a laptop fan with my macbook air (mid-2011) because it made me nervous to continually have the fan running so loud. It works great. There's good movement of air and while it doesn't stop the fan completely, it does allow it to run at a much less scary sounding speed and I'm not feeling quite as nervous! That being said, I've never had problems running the game. Just a loud fan.
  • Options
    cooldood555cooldood555 Posts: 82 Member
    I have an early 2015 13" Retina Macbook Pro and the fan is somewhat loud when I play (I can hear it, but can't if the game isn't on). Since I usually play while sitting in my recliner, I prop the laptop up on one leg and leave the right corner of the laptop exposed so that it can air out more easily (since that's where most of the heat comes from). Happens even with lower graphics settings (as low as I'd play with them), so I keep mine on high. No problems so far and I've been playing for almost a year on this Mac.
  • Options
    jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    funny enough when playing on macbook air, the noise is quite minimum, even on the same settings as MBP with a dedicated graphic card.
  • Options
    LFBLFB Posts: 29 New Member
    ugh..... I have a brand new imac, latests specs, the most expensive one (whatever that means) and I have the fan problem too!
  • Options
    Marios2Marios2 Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello guys. I used to play fifa 17 with bootcamp on my mac. I really noisy with cpu temp 85-90 C.... I have the same prob with you. is thre is any solutions?
  • Options
    thebigmermaidthebigmermaid Posts: 9 New Member
    Hey fellow Apple fans!
    I personally recommend always playing on a hard surface - even if it's just a textbook or something like that beneath it while you play in bed.
    This will generally cause the fan to be /a bit/ less loud, but it will always be loud regardless.
    I wish you all luck!