Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sim Guru Trev Talks Toddlers

Comments

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2016
    What I got from what they said was that they are working on it, I agree it's been too long from our perspective but they have to do the job that EA hired them to do, so when EA says "focus on this" they have to focus on whatever EA wants them to and everything else would take second priority. If anything the issue at hand isn't that the dev's aren't listening, it's that EA isn't.

That said it seems like the devs do want it and are working to include it, they just have to contend with the people who sign their paychecks.

EA does not tell them what to make - just like it does not tell its other studios what to make either. Y ou have that all wrong. The tax man has more power than EA does over what studios produce. Just like all publishers they have guidelines and laws must be adhered to - but studios pretty much make what they want.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    TentacrocaclesTentacrocacles Posts: 449 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    What I got from what they said was that they are working on it, I agree it's been too long from our perspective but they have to do the job that EA hired them to do, so when EA says "focus on this" they have to focus on whatever EA wants them to and everything else would take second priority. If anything the issue at hand isn't that the dev's aren't listening, it's that EA isn't.

That said it seems like the devs do want it and are working to include it, they just have to contend with the people who sign their paychecks.

EA does not tell them what to make - just like it does not tell its other studios what to make either. Y ou have that all wrong. The tax man has more power than EA does over what studios produce. Just like all publishers they have guidelines and laws must be adhered to - but studios pretty much make what they want.

I'm fairly certain that game devs of sims 4 have to adhere to whatever guidelines or bottom line their producer (the one who's throwing their money at the project) puts forth.

These aren't indie devs doing it out of the goodness of their heart after-all.
    A link to my most recent build in the gallery

tumblr_inline_okebxv2e9a1shjovd_1280.png
  • Options
    uo_aaronjduo_aaronjd Posts: 425 Member
    Actually after reading that I feel a bit more optimistic and happier than I have in a long time.
    Not getting my hopes up to much but maybe....just maybe
    Might even log into game again for a little while, i've been that annoyed,frustrated,angry,sad,etc etc i haven't played Sims 4 for a while now
    Hmmmm might just check on my Sims they might be getting lonely
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup
  • Options
    SimstopicsSimstopics Posts: 107 Member
    HalloMolli wrote: »
    Yeah, I got you, but even if they take all of your ideas and put them into the game (which btw. is unlikely because toddlers were, and I am sure this is true, one of the least popular life stages in the franchise and the amount of resources is way to high they would need to spend to accomplish most of the things you suggested, but let's just pretend:). It would probably result in an enjoyable toddler stage, I guess. But what happens next? The core gameplay has still not changed. Kids, ya, adults, elders are basically still the same. So let me ask another question: To create an overall better gaming experience should the developers really focus on toddlers right now?

What makes you say toddlers were the least enjoyable, that may be true for you but I am sure it is not true for many, many others and it is not true for myself.

Agreed. I love having big families with pets and if you remember at E3 when they first showed off TS4 there was the toddler/child/teen/YA/adult/elder icons in CAS, and then when the game got closer to launch and people started asking about toddlers they suddenly said that they couldn't launch the game with them because with the new CAS system toddlers were not working correctly in it. (I'll have to see if I can find all that again). Personally I miss toddlers and I go play TS2 and TS3 a lot because of that particular stage. If it wasn't as popular I don't think the uproar about them not being in the game would be as bad as it is, because let's face it; for everyone who doesn't want them how hard would it be to just instantly age them up and skip over that stage? The people who want toddlers can enjoy them while the people who don't can skip it like they aren't there. Problem solved, everyone should be happy.
    MadIris wrote: »
    They have all the info needed,,as well as the models from previous games. They are lying.

So for everyone who is basically saying use TS2/TS3 toddlers and copy and paste them over to TS4...Yeah its not that simple. The models from previous games won't work. Its completely different coding, completely different styles in graphics, and much more stuff under the hood. I agree their lack of communication about them is frustrating to say the least but the Sims Studio is apart of EA who has gotten how many "Worst Company in America" "rewards" and no I'm not saying Sims Studio is absolutely terrible or anything like that (just their lack of communication with us).

If toddlers make their appearance in TS4 I will bet anything that it won't be in an expansion pack. It'll be a free update like ghosts, pools, etc. You think they really want to pull the "make us wait years then ask us to actually pay for toddlers" card? Lol I don't think they even want that war.

Let's hope that while TS5 is being developed (you know most likely its being started or getting to that point since TS3 was being started I think Graham said around the time the 3rd or 4th EP for TS2 was released) that they don't forget to start on toddlers and preferably preteens before anything else ;)
    PS4: InDebtShopaholic, BrokeShopaholic, DaRealShopaholic
    Xbox: BrokeShopaholic
    Steam: BrokeShopaholic
    Origin: Simstopics
  • Options
    jonathanpotterjonathanpotter Posts: 7 New Member
    Glad to be the part of discussion.
  • Options
    azxcvbnm321azxcvbnm321 Posts: 532 Member
    I'd gladly take that bet. No way that toddlers could be free because of the time and money needed to put them into the game. We're talking about an EP sized project here and when you spend that much money to make content, there has to be a return on the investment. This is why I don't think toddlers will ever be made. Any attempt to sell toddlers as an EP would be met with backlash. So why not spend the same time and resources on some other themed EP? Like City Living, no one expects that for free so there is no controversy. From a pure business point of view, it wouldn't make sense to put in toddlers, free or not.
  • Options
    SimstopicsSimstopics Posts: 107 Member
    I'd gladly take that bet. No way that toddlers could be free because of the time and money needed to put them into the game. We're talking about an EP sized project here and when you spend that much money to make content, there has to be a return on the investment. This is why I don't think toddlers will ever be made. Any attempt to sell toddlers as an EP would be met with backlash. So why not spend the same time and resources on some other themed EP? Like City Living, no one expects that for free so there is no controversy. From a pure business point of view, it wouldn't make sense to put in toddlers, free or not.

Haha, you're on :P and that's a big IF they ever do put them into the game. Have to remember that everything they have put in the game for free costs money and resources as well. Ghosts and pools I guarantee cost a pretty penny for them. Every little animation (which could be thousands for one little action or movement) for ghosts especially. But hopefully *fingers crossed* either way we eventually get them and they better had been worth the wait lol.

One big thing that I hate is there's no toddlers but they gave us a baby tied to the bed so its an object rather than a life state. Which they've always said they wanted to improve the baby from TS3 since parents would just pick them up out of bed and lay them on the floor for no reason or outside in the snow if you had seasons lol.
    PS4: InDebtShopaholic, BrokeShopaholic, DaRealShopaholic
    Xbox: BrokeShopaholic
    Steam: BrokeShopaholic
    Origin: Simstopics
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    I think there may well be weather, since the visual effects team seem strong and hard-working, and most of the weather can be done purely by graphics. Then they just need to add about three objects with special interactions - like a snowman that can be based on the crafting bench idea so it grows in stages, with a simple animation of sims kind of patting in thin air. 1) flat snowy ground 2) a little unshaped blob, 3) a larger roughly shaped blob and 4) finished item. Player can then click to change appearance slightly like adding scarf to snowman (same as adding frame to painting). Next object would be on public area only - a "snowball fight" court - done similarly to the city living events. At the right time the terrain all turns white and the invisible snowball court is spawned in an open space. This will be similar to the basketball court except that it won't be in buy mode since it would "not make sense" outside a snowy context. The weather will almost certainly be restricted to a specially built world, since special programming would need to be part of the world, due to the special snow objects that need to be placed in the world.
  • Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    edited October 2016
    Toddlers need lots of animation and they will never make it to the sims 4.

The sims 4 is a sims game with a limited budget, limited game play and limited animation. They cannot afford to do something as advance as toddlers. They dont have the resources for it.

Players who are investing in this game they are investing their money in raccoon costume, talking toilet, emotional peeing and things like that. If this is not what you want then Sims 4 is not for you. Leave it for those players who want these things.

When they fail to make a simple animation of a sim walking through a door as an elevator do you seriously think they are capable of doing toddlers or any other thing? Nope
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    Up until recently I felt certain the plan was to bring toddlers *eventually*. But now I can see a pattern emerging of what types of things they can deliver in any given timescale or budget I agree, toddlers are becoming more unlikely. There is one "unless". Unless the reason so much animation is being skipped these days is because the entire animator resource pool is tied up with making toddlers!!
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    IngeJones wrote: »
    Up until recently I felt certain the plan was to bring toddlers *eventually*. But now I can see a pattern emerging of what types of things they can deliver in any given timescale or budget I agree, toddlers are becoming more unlikely. There is one "unless". Unless the reason so much animation is being skipped these days is because the entire animator resource pool is tied up with making toddlers!!

That's my hope.
    I had pegged the 4th EP as the time when we might see them.
    Beyond that, I just give up. I do like this game, but I am not going forward paying full price after the 4th EP for a game without toddlers, custom apartments and whatever other features they decide to skip or downgrade.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    IngeJones wrote: »

Perhaps it is indeed, and preteens too :open_mouth: , time will tell ;)
  • Options
    KittybitKittybit Posts: 97 Member
    I always thought toddlers would be coming "any moment now" for a long time, but I've resigned myself from that idea. I don't think there's a plan to push through with it as of now.. who knows, maybe they'd decide to release toddlers if their overall sales started to drop? ;)
    banner.png
  • Options
    DecafHighDecafHigh Posts: 669 Member
    Toddlers need lots of animation and they will never make it to the sims 4.

The sims 4 is a sims game with a limited budget, limited game play and limited animation. They cannot afford to do something as advance as toddlers. They dont have the resources for it.

Players who are investing in this game they are investing their money in raccoon costume, talking toilet, emotional peeing and things like that. If this is not what you want then Sims 4 is not for you. Leave it for those players who want these things.

When they fail to make a simple animation of a sim walking through a door as an elevator do you seriously think they are capable of doing toddlers or any other thing? Nope

Yeah this is my view as well. It seems the game engine is also a major limiting factor. So much for that "strong foundation" that would be able to fulfill all our wishes huh? ;)

It does seem we won't really get anything much beyond window dressing at this point. EA seems to have sucked all the resources away from this game. What that means for the future of the series, well that is anyone's guess.
  • Options
    KittybitKittybit Posts: 97 Member
    DecafHigh wrote: »

Yeah this is my view as well. It seems the game engine is also a major limiting factor. So much for that "strong foundation" that would be able to fulfill all our wishes huh? ;)

It does seem we won't really get anything much beyond window dressing at this point. EA seems to have plum all the resources away from this game. What that means for the future of the series, well that is anyone's guess.

You bring up an interesting point. It makes me wonder if (that is if there will be a TS5, that is) they will take this into considering during development? Do you think they would make changes to the game engine to reflect the community or do you think they will continue with this 'light weight' engine and limited animations/functions?

banner.png
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2016

I'm fairly certain that game devs of sims 4 have to adhere to whatever guidelines or bottom line their producer (the one who's throwing their money at the project) puts forth.

I have a friend who used to be a Maxoid (all of Sims 2) (that was what they were called in Sims 1 and 2 instead of Guru's - LOL) and that was not how it worked. Also the producer in the Sims game is part of the Team too - EA supplies the budget and paychecks - Maxis gives it the game where as EA hopes to get it's investment - plus out of the game and dlc. Only if the game does not meet EA's expectations of it - then and only then does EA get involved and want to know why the game is not selling. (I also remember my friend saying during Sims 2 production which she worked on, some of their budget was off of the profits they got from The Original Sims game too.)

ETA- Also Sim Guru Drake did say when they speak of budget for Sims 4 they are not talking actual money - but manhours where each thing worked on has a budget or a number of manhours allotted to working on that particular thing - so technically they could have endless finances on the game but it means nothing if they only have so many manhours allotted for that particular object. People need to really get off the idea the budget Guru's speak of is cash money when it is job time assigned to each thing being made. They are apparently only allowed so long to work on each item or idea -

Personally I think that idea rots - that is probably a worse idea than having low finances in my view. Some creativity will suffer if the creator has a time limit on what ever they are making - and probably a good reason so much seems so shallow in Sims 4.

In Sims 3 we had an actual elevator object that ran in an actual elevator shaft - and in Sims 4 we get a door and a one square square where sims go in to teleport. Not much different than the sims going out their front door and teleporting we have anyway. But that door and square is not an elevator no matter what they want to call it - it's just a door.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    amandajoy27amandajoy27 Posts: 167 Member
    That is a bunch of bs they are not listening to us or hear us and don't take note of what the community is telling them if they were there would be toddlers already!!
    8yz411.jpg

Add me on Origin ID: Amanda3024
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member

I have a friend who used to be a Maxoid (all of Sims 2) (that was what they were called in Sims 1 and 2 instead of Guru's - LOL) and that was not how it worked. Also the producer in the Sims game is part of the Team too - EA supplies the budget and paychecks - Maxis gives it the game where as EA hopes to get it's investment - plus out of the game and dlc. Only if the game does not meet EA's expectations of it - then and only then does EA get involved and want to know why the game is not selling. (I also remember my friend saying some of their budget was off of the profits they got from The Original Sims game too.)

ETA- Also Sim Guru Drake did say when they speak of budget for Sims 4 they are not talking actual money - but manhours where each thing worked on has a budget or a number of manhours allotted to working on that particular thing - so technically they could have endless finances on the game but it means nothing if they only have so many manhours allotted for that particular object. People need to really get off the idea the budget Guru's speak of is cash money when it is job time assigned to each thing being made. They are apparently only allowed so long to work on each item or idea -

Personally I think that idea rots - that is probably a worse idea than having low finances in my view. Some creativity will suffer if the creator has a time limit on what ever they are making - and probably a good reason so much seems so shallow in Sims 4.

In Sims 3 we had an actual elevator object that ran in an actual elevator shaft - and in Sims 4 we get a door and a one square square where sims go in to teleport. Not much different than the sims going out their front door and teleporting we have anyway. But that door and square is not an elevator no matter what they want to call it - it's just a door.

I've never worked on a project that didn't have its budget defined in one way or another. In practice, there's very little difference between a money cap and a person hours cap except in person hours being easier to track and manage in-house. In the end, though, they're just different ways of expressing the same budget.

In-house, what typically happens at the employee level in multi-project creative-sector houses is that you roughly allocate your time to the different projects you work on. I used to do this when I was in-house - mark off my time according to which project's budget it was falling under.* That was never to the minute, and it never felt like a restriction of my time. And nobody was standing over me saying "you can only work 100 hours on this project, then you have to stop". Instead, years of experience factored into the project creation so that hours would end up working out in a predictable, budgetable way: everyone knew that if you expanded the scope of a project, you needed to extend the deadlines, reallocate some of someone's work to someone else, etc. so that the person hours fit in.

The nonprofit I put time into budgets by a combination of person hours and money: they're intimately related, different expressions of the same thing. In personnel management, it's shaped in "person hours"; in preparing statements for auditing or reports for granting organizations, the same budgeting is expressed in dollars.

*Which left up in the air what I did when I had a "project" that was for in-house use, not being paid for by product sales. We didn't have the equivalent of an engagement team! That would have been great. I think management level could do that. I've no idea how they allocated my time for that project in the end.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    DecafHigh wrote: »
    Yubell wrote: »
    Nectere wrote: »
    Uh guys....what expansion are we on?

4nK3ZSr.png

*tip toes back out of the room*

They release an expansion every year...WHAT THEY EXPECT ME TO WAIT 8-9 YEARSSSS FOR TODDLERS!?!

FORGET THAT I'LL GIVE BIRTH TO MY OWN BABY RAISE IT AND THEY'LL STILL BE GIVING THE EXCUSE OF "WE'RE LISTENTING"

Well, at the rate they are going there is only going to be 4 or 5 EP's. Personally I don't find TS4 to have the legs to last much beyond that anyway.

But look on the bright side. If the final fifth expansion comes out in 2021 we still would be gaining 181 stuff packs! Lol.
  • Options
    KeyserFnKeyserFn Posts: 1,424 Member
    Sounds like the same old stuff they've been telling toddler lovers for however long .Patience
    b96a6288-80b2-4a90-b4f2-d0ff50a849e2.jpg~original

Origin gtgirl1999
    twitter @gtgirl_99
  • Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    The way they are going, I am thinking that Toddler's , Pet's, Car's among a lot of others things and chars won't be added to the Sims 4, since they only seem to want to add stuff not already done, which to Me is horrible, since there is item's and chars I luv from past games.
  • Options
    emilymsimsemilymsims Posts: 398 Member
    I just want toddlers and family play so bad. I've been playing the sims 2 because it's my fav. But I really like the look of the sims 4... just not the game play
  • Options
    DP1916DP1916 Posts: 188 Member
    I would like some sort of in between stage just seems weird going from infant to kid :)
  • Options
    DiabolicalAFDiabolicalAF Posts: 70 Member
    First of all, I appreciate Trev cause out of all of the Gurus his answer seems more honest, Though it's really the same old same old. We hear you, we listen, we see, blah blah blah

My issue is that they already gave us many different answers as to why Toddlers never made it in

Reason 1: Time restrictions, didn't have enough time to make them.
    Reason 2: Something to do with analytics, they claim not many people play with toddlers.
    Reason 3: (my fave 1) They didn't want to give us half 🐸🐸🐸🐸 toddlers that weren't good enough (LOLOLOLOL)

Which one is it?

Maybe if they were just honest at the start people would be willing to be patient and more accepting of certain things.

They need to work on how they approach the sims community. Be honest, no matter how harsh the truth is.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    edited October 2016
    @DiabolicalAF
    Probably all of them. At some point in the development, they most likely realized they wouldn't be able to do everything, they took a look at everything that was still to be done, evaluated how many people used such and such and, how many time they could spend on this or that, and took the decision of what not to include. I'm sure multiple factors were weighted it in the decision. We most likely don't know all of them and I'm sure they considered more than 3 things in their decision process.