Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Simulation Tech Talk

Comments

• Options
    SimstopicsSimstopics Posts: 107 Member
    @Simstopics I used multiple mods, MCCC included. It is a long, slow process to do when you have as full and complex a game as I do. I'm not actually making that up, and I do know every shortcut. Maxis is doing the right thing by not breaking our saves. Plus, the breakage they're describing would almost certainly happen through a basegame update - it's a fundamental change in game structure being described - and would therefore affect players who didn't know it was going to happen. It's really a nonstarter.

Doesn't change the fact that they could have asked in a poll for players. Again, my whole point that you all are missing. And again, it doesn't matter with the game releasing in a week and again again I've been messaging with a guru since my last post about it so don't need a response from non-gurus.
    sunman502 wrote: »
    I am happy that my saves are not broken in Sims 4, like they were in 3. And I have no CC's or Mod's in Sims 4.

I don't think you even understand what the whole conversation was about lol. What you're saying is on a way different subject then this. :D
    PS4: InDebtShopaholic, BrokeShopaholic, DaRealShopaholic
    Xbox: BrokeShopaholic
    Steam: BrokeShopaholic
    Origin: Simstopics
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    Simstopics wrote: »
    @Simstopics I used multiple mods, MCCC included. It is a long, slow process to do when you have as full and complex a game as I do. I'm not actually making that up, and I do know every shortcut. Maxis is doing the right thing by not breaking our saves. Plus, the breakage they're describing would almost certainly happen through a basegame update - it's a fundamental change in game structure being described - and would therefore affect players who didn't know it was going to happen. It's really a nonstarter.

Doesn't change the fact that they could have asked in a poll for players. Again, my whole point that you all are missing. And again, it doesn't matter with the game releasing in a week and again again I've been messaging with a guru since my last post about it so don't need a response from non-gurus.
    I am happy that my saves are not broken in Sims 4, like they were in 3. And I have no CC's or Mod's in Sims 4.

I don't think you even understand what the whole conversation was about lol. What you're saying is on a way different subject then this. :D
    I was only responding to what luthienrising had said about Maxis not breaking our saved games.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    Simstopics wrote: »

I was only responding to what luthienrising had said about Maxis not breaking our saved games.

Shhh be careful, she doesn't want to talk to us anyway. ;)
  • Options
    SimstopicsSimstopics Posts: 107 Member
    Shhh be careful, she doesn't want to talk to us anyway. ;)

;)
    PS4: InDebtShopaholic, BrokeShopaholic, DaRealShopaholic
    Xbox: BrokeShopaholic
    Steam: BrokeShopaholic
    Origin: Simstopics
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    I wish a guru would come back and talk to us again, the thread is gradually drifting...
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    edited October 2016
    They may be busy at the moment, there are a couple of unanswered questions on the previous pages. Perhaps we should post these again after CL release.
  • Options
    SimGuruEugiSimGuruEugi Posts: 503 SimGuru
    Petarce123 wrote: »
    @SimGuruEugi Is it possible to add an interaction so our sims can take off their hats in live mode? :)

That's a cool idea. We did something similar with the yoga mat, where Sims take their shoes off. Personally, I would like to see that happen when they go to sleep, too. I'll talk to designers about this!
  • Options
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    @SimGuruEugi following my previous question + your slides, I've studied the multitasking slide a bit and am wondering about this:

It says there that "sub-actions", like yawning, channel surfing, laughing, sipping from a drink, etc., are run "inside" active interactions & that they are selected using weighted random. What exactly does "weighted random" mean? Are certain sub-actions necessarily set off by the sim's surrounding? For example, when a sim is surrounded by other sims (whether in front of the tv, at the restaurant, etc.) is the fact that they will autonomously converse with others an automatically run "sub-action" that will occur in the same way each and every time? Or does it vary depending on certain other factors (like their mood, friendship level, etc.)? And how much/often are these sub-actions fine-tuned afterwards?

The reason I ask is that a lot of people, myself included, often find it annoying that when we send two sims out on a romantic date together, one or both of them will keep getting up and talk to sims surrounding them instead of remaining at the table to converse almost exclusively with their date. Is this something that can be fine-tuned using the engine the way it's currently set up? Is there a possibility for you guys to vary the "chance" (I'll call it that, may be the wrong word for it) of these sub-actions happening depending on the situations in which they occur, or is it set once and will automatically repeat in exactly the same way, no matter the current situation? I hope this isn't asked too strangely lol.

So in short, what I'd like to know is: would it be possible to lower the frequency of certain sub-actions (like talking) in specific situations (like dates) but not in others? This is just the first example I can think of, but I'm sure there are others :)
    @SimGuruEugi following my previous question + your slides, I've studied the multitasking slide a bit and am wondering about this:

It says there that "sub-actions", like yawning, channel surfing, laughing, sipping from a drink, etc., are run "inside" active interactions & that they are selected using weighted random. What exactly does "weighted random" mean? Are certain sub-actions necessarily set off by the sim's surrounding? For example, when a sim is surrounded by other sims (whether in front of the tv, at the restaurant, etc.) is the fact that they will autonomously converse with others an automatically run "sub-action" that will occur in the same way each and every time? Or does it vary depending on certain other factors (like their mood, friendship level, etc.)? And how much/often are these sub-actions fine-tuned afterwards?

The reason I ask is that a lot of people, myself included, often find it annoying that when we send two sims out on a romantic date together, one or both of them will keep getting up and talk to sims surrounding them instead of remaining at the table to converse almost exclusively with their date. Is this something that can be fine-tuned using the engine the way it's currently set up? Is there a possibility for you guys to vary the "chance" (I'll call it that, may be the wrong word for it) of these sub-actions happening depending on the situations in which they occur, or is it set once and will automatically repeat in exactly the same way, no matter the current situation? I hope this isn't asked too strangely lol.

So in short, what I'd like to know is: would it be possible to lower the frequency of certain sub-actions (like talking) in specific situations (like dates) but not in others? This is just the first example I can think of, but I'm sure there are others :)

A weighted random is one where the likelihood of a something happening is greater based on its assigned "weight". For sub-actions, we can prioritize certain interactions to carry more weight, but still preserve some randomness.

As far as limiting socialization, that does happen in the game already. For instance, Sims tend to talk less while using the easel to paint.
  • Options
    @SimGuruEugi ah and also (sorry for the double post, but it's a slightly different although related question) is there an intrinsic difference between a sub-action and an action other than that they run during actions? The reason I'd like to know that is: when my sims talk autonomously, as a "sub-action", to other sims, I noticed that they still do not actually "know" them. So when I click on that sim to converse with them as an actual action, I still have to start with the "friendly introduction" even though they've already been conversing on the side for quite some time. Could you explain why that is? Is it that they're registered differently somehow? Again, sorry if this is asked in a confusing manner, but I'm not that extremely fluent in tech-speak ;)

Hmm... they should lose the option to introduce themselves as soon as they are done running "Introduce" the first time.
  • Options
    I have a build mode question. Is split level foundation technically possible in sims 4?
    Could it possibly be added in the future?

I'm not sure, I'm not very familiar with the inner workings of Build/Buy. Anything is possible, though.
  • Options
    Neia wrote: »
    Terra wrote: »
    Nectere wrote: »
    @SimGuruEugi is it possible to get technical patch notes published somewhere for the folks that really want to read them? I didnt know the relationships had been patched, I just kept doing my thing, not playing, like everything was still broken - I've even complained, repeatedly. o:)

The truth is that it's very hard for SimGuruGnome to compile the patch notes. For the bigger patches, like the ones released with expansion packs, we might fix hundred of bugs. Some bugs might also have been fixed by a previous patch, but because of when/where they were filed, they might get verified and added to the notes later. Some bugs might be incidentally fixed by other bug fixes, and those wouldn't get reported. Some bugs might get fixed by feature work for a pack. Also, sometimes we like to just fix bugs "under the radar..." we see something we don't like or doesn't work and we kind of just fix it "unofficially." So, yeah, it's rough for him :)

What about features that are "working as intended" but added without being announced to the players? What restrictions prevent SimGuruGnome from telling players about changes to culling, the introduction of relationship culling, and the introduction of inactive played relationship decay? And if he has so much to convey in such a limited space, why are there endless sub-points of no actual substance following most points in patch notes?

Also, I hope you don't mind me reposting some of my questions from a few pages back that I'm still hoping for an answer on:

The fact he is a human without mind reading power or omniscience I guess. Perhaps he could try to bribe the devs for more info with cookies, or coffee, or both. ;)

Maybe I'm too tired but I don't entirely get your point @Neia. Shouldn't dev teams - like all teams - have some kind of schedule and by consequence, a way to know what other devs are working on atm? They may not necessarily be able to or want to talk about each and every little tweak, I do get that, but it should in theory be possible to inform people about tweaks and changes made to culling & relationship decay, no? At least from now on, now that they know that this is still a big problem for some people & that there's genuine interest to be informed in the patch notes about adjustments that are made to ease the problem? I'm confused maybe :/ Sorry if I misunderstood your point!

We can get a bug: fix problem A. When we go about and fix that, we also incidentally fix problems B and C. It's very possible that the fixes to B and C don't make it in the patch notes. Not only that: perhaps problems B and C were filed in later patches. When we start working on those patches, we test B and C. It works! Now those patch notes might say B and C are fixed.
  • Options
    Hello, just wanted know if shadoes I game wil ever be fixed, I notice when the transitons in relating to where the sun is that it doesn't smoothly transition around objects in game; it's like the shadows jump every sim hour as the sun goes down or up.

It might be based off of your graphic settings? I recall the shadows moving pretty smoothly with sunlight on my dev machine.
  • Options
    I have a completely non-CL-related question, I'm wondering how are babies made, genetic-wise. I have noticed that there's a seed assigned at the start of the pregnancy, and that the offspring is generated using this seed and the genetics of both parents. How does that work exactly ?

The seed controls all the random aspects of genetics. We assign the seed at conception so that save/load doesn't produce different offspring. I believe that's how Sims 3 worked, so we just kept that the same.
  • Options
    @SimGuruEugi Hi, not sure if this is the right place to ask/post but in CL is it possible to bulldoze the existing apartments to the ground? (so essentially a empty plot of land) And how will the apartments work on the gallery? Will it be just interiors shown or will exteriors be customizable so we do have a bit of freedom when it comes to looks of our apartments?

The apartment shells are non-bulldozable. You can share rooms to the Gallery.
  • Options
    Hello @SimGuruEugi ! I have a question about the homeless people at parks. How does the game decide who is homeless? Is it based on the Insane trait? Because sometimes I have Sims that were housed suddenly become homeless, but I've noticed that they're Insane too.

I think that's just coincidence.
  • Options
    Terra wrote: »
    In TS3, we were able to set two Sims as boyfriends/girlfriends or fiancees in CAS. In Sims 4 these options were removed. Is there any technical reason for this?

CAS only sets "genetic" relationships (plus spouse). I agree that it'd be nice if you could set more.
  • Options
    Saves integrity is of the utmost importance for me too. I've always played Sims game with one save game from launch and I have no interest in starting again with each pack.

We also take that very seriously. We have a collection of community saves provided by users that we use to regress patch fixes and test performance. Sometimes we miss something (like the recent Clubs issue), but we try to be as fast as possible rolling out e-patches such as the one this week.
  • Options
    They may be busy at the moment, there are a couple of unanswered questions on the previous pages. Perhaps we should post these again after CL release.

We were! I've been super busy these last few weeks, months. But today was a big (internal) milestone and I felt like coming back! As always, can't answer anyyy questions about future content - that includes unannounced content and speculation.
  • Options
    HowGreatThouArtHowGreatThouArt Posts: 1,662 Member
    Hello, just wanted know if shadoes I game wil ever be fixed, I notice when the transitons in relating to where the sun is that it doesn't smoothly transition around objects in game; it's like the shadows jump every sim hour as the sun goes down or up.

It might be based off of your graphic settings? I recall the shadows moving pretty smoothly with sunlight on my dev machine.

@SimGuruEugi I think this problem has to do with specific graphic cards. I have a GTX 960 and many other 960 users have reported the same "jumping shadows" problem.
    aSE16f8.gif
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    I have a technical question! Mirrors are different than they were in previous games as in they reflect the room whether the walls are up or down (great feature!)

So would it technically be possible for when we get vampires for them to not have a reflection? I really liked that in sims 2 :)

I'm not sure, but if we're ever adding Vampires to the game, I'm going to fight for this because it's so cool and iconic!

Oh hey! I know you're totally not allowed to talk about future content, but since all this vampire stuff has been found in coding I just wanted to bring this back up ;)

Hopefully if this vampire stuff is true you remembered to bring it up :D
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    knazzerknazzer Posts: 3,382 Member
    If we can have NPC butlers that can take care of themselves, any chance we can actually update roommates to act the same way?
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    @SimGuruEugi Is it possible to add an interaction so our sims can take off their hats in live mode? :)

That's a cool idea. We did something similar with the yoga mat, where Sims take their shoes off. Personally, I would like to see that happen when they go to sleep, too. I'll talk to designers about this!

Glasses too, please! Then we could have glasses with a pj's outfit and only that one, as if our Sims otherwise wear contacts. It's a little detail that would be great if the tech is already partway there.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    Thank you for all your hard work!! Last month there was a bug where the suspect in the detective career never appeared. I answered "me too" on the big question. Any chance that's been fixed? Thank you!!!
  • Options
    knazzer wrote: »
    If we can have NPC butlers that can take care of themselves, any chance we can actually update roommates to act the same way?

Roommates does come up every once in a while when discussing potential features. From a design standpoint, roommates feel more involved than butlers. They need to have believable day-to-day lives affected by their personality. You should definitely keep bringing it up and have your voice be heard!
  • Options

Glasses too, please! Then we could have glasses with a pj's outfit and only that one, as if our Sims otherwise wear contacts. It's a little detail that would be great if the tech is already partway there.

Yup! All great suggestions!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top