Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Religion/Spirituality in Sims 4

Comments

• Options
    KeyenpeydeeKeyenpeydee Posts: 9,280 Member
    edited September 2016
    Fictional religions are great but inappropriate. Religions must be respected even if it's fictional. Because even if it's religion, whether you love it, like it or not, We're still talking about our creator and creating a fictional religion is a disgrace too.

Can't explain any better since I want to respect some religions in the world but if you're a Catholic, You know what is the 1st one written in the ten commandments.

So, It just needs to stay like this. No religions. I'm not going to be back at this thread again but I just want to point out some things.

And you know what needs to be implemented? Is toddlers.
    Queen of Rap, Nicki Minaj // minajsalad
    tumblr_nijden3ooM1qb9pa3o1_500.gifv

• Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Fictional religions are great but inappropriate. Religions must be respected even if it's fictional. Because even if it's religion, whether you love it, like it or not, We're still talking about our creator and creating a fictional religion is a disgrace too.

Can't explain any better since I want to respect some religions in the world but if you're a Catholic, You know what is the 1st one written in the ten commandments.

So, It just needs to stay like this. No religions. I'm not going to be back at this thread again but I just want to point out some things.

I see what you mean. :) No worries. And I apologize if anything in this thread potentially offended or upset you. This may not even be possible, but its fun to discuss possibilities.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member

So Sims creators have committed the sin of creating religions twice now. Once in TSM, the other time in PsP The Sims 2.
  • Options
    CharKittyBooCharKittyBoo Posts: 569 Member
    I would love if religion became available in the game.

I can totally see a patch with a worship podium and possibly a "spiritual" trait. It'd also be nice to have a meditation mat (we technically already have one in spa day) and maybe a speaker that plays only very calming music.

That way everything is generic and perhaps even a stuff pack centered on sims spirituality but I think a patch would be nicer because then no one can get super mad at the dev team for discriminating because it'll just be a handful of extra items available to everyone. I bet even some non-religious people might make religious sims.
    Family player we got toddlers...my life is complete 1/12/17 best. day. ever.
    7ZDKKOkt.png
    My Plum Family Tree
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    I have no idea why you are comparing religion to sexuality. One is a life choice and one is the way you are born. I know you were quite upset over the gender patch but there is no comparison between the two.

you think people are not born into traditions and religion? When it comes to how important it is as a life-part those two are even.

And if you think religion is not a laughing matter and should be respected, I feel like transgender people deserve the same respect and reducing them to "you can switch your frame in a click of a button!" is disrespectful too. So if we're brave enough to gamify one, why can't we gamify the other? Heck, plum is gamified with alien abductions and I don't see anyone screaming that it's disrespectful towards plum victims.

Even if you are born into a religion you have an actual choice if you do want to leave it. It might not be an easy choice or it might injure family relationships but it is still a choice that people can and do make every day.

Since you took this into an off topic subject I'll respond but it really has been a civil thread and should be kept on topic. If you want further clarification you might want to PM me.

Being born into the wrong body or who you might fall in love with is not a choice. If you remember one of the articles about the patch said how closely the devs worked with members of GLADD to make sure respect for the community was included.On the other hand I do remember quite a few of things you said but since that is a deleted thread and a different subject I won't go into it.

I'm guessing the reference to aliens is a form of 🐸🐸🐸🐸 that the forum turns into plum. If you're at all familiar with sci-fi implanting a 'test subject' has nothing to do with woo hoo. If you see it that in such a dark way I do indeed feel bad for you.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    JasonRMJ wrote: »
    Serge wrote: »
    The Sims is perfect without this atrocity called religion. Religion is war, prejudgement, intimidation...

religion is also the calmness of heart, wish to help other people, acceptance of death and life passing and the meaning in life.

I wonder why demeaning what so many in the world hold dear is allowed like this.

there's like 1.1 billion atheist in the world and maybe the numbers are higher than I thought.
    It seems to me that people are leaving it for good....

I hope this thread gets closed and be forgotten it's really controversial to talk about it...

Discussions of real world religions and morality is what is controversial. We are talking about tools that could be used for multiple purposes, like a podium that a SIM could give an inspiring or focusing speech, and it would be up to the player and the story that player creates whether the speech is a sermon or a scientific lecture.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Options
    there's like 1.1 billion atheist in the world and maybe the numbers are higher than I thought.

I hope this thread gets closed and be forgotten it's really controversial to talk about it...

1 billion atheists leaves 6 billion religious. Why do you want to discriminate against such an overwhelming majority?

majority? of different religions?
    dude have you ever step outside of reality?

There's a massive number of variants(denomination) of Christianity that don't agree to each other because of a different belief of the religion itself, which causes separation not unification.
    not only that Islam has around four known denomination that is S'hia,Sunni,Ahmadiyya, & khawarij. Three of them are extremely narrow- minded, except for the Ahmadiyyas(Ahmadis) they are extremely tolerant and liberal minded but are highly discriminated by Sunnis which is really sad.
    For Judaism all I can say is that it actually discriminates all non-jews because they(Jews) believe that they're the chosen people of God,more separation at humanity.

have you not read any news about Myanmar buddhist attacking Rohingya muslims because the Rohingya's are not citizen of the country, they(rohingya) are treated like outcast and have limited rights.It astounds me to see that a peaceful religion/philosophy(Buddhism) that the Myanmar's has practice generation to generation are still blinded by hate.

honestly you're living in La La Land thinking that all religion are peaceful when in fact they're intolerant to each other even themselves.It irks me to see people trying to mix two/three/four etc religion together in hopes of making them coexist and ultimately fails at it, It's like mixing water and oil and they're(religions) belligerent to do so.

I'm not discriminating them they're discriminating themselves, they're so blinded by their religion, that they're truly selfish enough to segregate humanity...

This thread needs to get closed. too controversial to talk in this T rated game....

Please do not discuss real world religions here nor lump them all together. Some Unitarian Universalists are secular humanists, but are willing to band together with others with diverse beliefs to accomplish common goals like social justice or environmentalism or family support that they could not do as well alone. Criticizing others beliefs does not unite the community.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Okay this is a clear misunderstanding . What I mean is we don't have a chapel at all in the sims.

What we need for chapels, cathedrals, churches, temples, and landmarks is additional build tools. I love stained glass windows, fancy chandeliers, gargoyles, bell towers, and light, statue or symbol placement on roofs. Something like the weathervane in Sims 2. It adds atmosphere. Modders already can make wall signs, decals and statues with specific symbols or religious or secular figures. Rounded roofs like on the Taj Mahal or St Peter's Basilica would be beautiful too.

Also, I would like to see a clubhouse meeting place venue that was different from other venue types that could really use the clubhouse door club perk and or would only allow non club members by invitation from the active SIM. I would love it if there was a projector, a blackboard, and a whiteboard.
  • Options
    papersuitcasepapersuitcase Posts: 838 Member
    edited September 2016
    I don't think the devs would touch it with a ten foot pole. There are just too many factors.

Some people take their faith very seriously and even adding the wrong thing in game might force them to quit.

Another reason: The sims is a lighthearted game where silliness happens and I think religion conflicts with that idea.

Changed my mind. I think this game could benefit from a little faith as it is far too left leaning rn.
    Post edited by papersuitcase on
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,205 Member
    I think its a fair point nobody criticize when the sims medieval had religion ? 'Its not religon it boils down how you do it in a game.
  • Options
    I don't think the devs would touch it with a ten foot pole. There are just too many factors.

Some people take their faith very seriously and even adding the wrong thing in game might force them to quit.

Another reason: The sims is a lighthearted game where silliness happens and I think religion conflicts with that idea.

It probably should not have religion in the title for this reason if the ideas are implemented. That could cause conflict with RL religious issues. But keep in mind, something like dressing in drag is silly to some, serious to others, but it was implemented in the Sims. Some players that want tools in the Sims want to tell stories involving religion, or want to make their Simselves more like their real selves. Or they want a SIM utopia that they feel would not be complete without these things. Or a dystopia possibly. I see nothing wrong with adding features to the game that encourage creativity, experimentation, and imagination, and could be used to create Sims religion or other purposes.
  • Options
    @SimsILikeSims Excellent comments :)

I meant to also mention the curved/rounded roofs that are like at this cathedral:

Famous-Buildings-in-Russia-Cathedral-of-St-Basil.jpg

Being able to add architecture like this would be amazing.

The-Basilica-Of-The-Sacred-Heart-Of-Paris-Paris.jpg
    5238557764_2f174bb1c8_b.jpeg
    st-patrick-cathedral.jpg

I've seen this cathedral in Mexico City personally and it's beautiful:
    Catedral_de_M%C3%A9xico.jpg

• Options

> Since this thread has been revived since it's original post in June, I will do a tl;dr for people just now seeing it, somewhat of a summary of what has been discussed. <

The Sims series has had 3 religions/spirituality so far. The Kine Society, Jacoban, Peteran, and mentions of The Watcher (being you the person playing the game. There have also been temples in past reiterations. You can read more about it on the Sims Wiki.

This would be optional gameplay.

Some would like a return of one or more of the three, others want a tool to create a religion/belief system in game, possibly through a more detailed club function. This would be completely imaginary ones, either goofy and silly, polytheism, monotheism, a somewhat reflection of real world ones, or something related to the elements (water, earth, fire etc.). A customizable system.

It would be impossible to include all aspects of real-world religion, and the purpose of this thread is for creating/sparking ideas for tools where you could implement your own customized religion/spirituality. , not to discuss real-world religion/beliefs. Mods could allow simmers to reflect their own personal religion/belief in their own game if they'd like.

Ideas of lots having a lot trait that evokes an emotion, or a sim trait (perhaps spiritual) that would make them more inclined to participate or go to lots, it being considered a celebration center, chapels, cathedrals, churches, temples, and landmarks etc

Discussions of objects has been brought up, for example a podium, scented candles, yoga mats (already exist in Sims 4).

More options in architecture too has been brought up, more variety of stained glass windows, chandeliers, gargoyles, bell towers, and light, statue or symbol placement on roofs, etc

Animations like a priest officiating a wedding, saying a prayer/blessing before a meal, mats for kneeling, an evangelize interaction, etc

A scale system which shows the Player his Sim's strength towards his religious beliefs

Events like funerals and weddings can be more fleshed-out with a religion/spirituality system in the games for those who prefer it.

Any discussions of the merits (or lack therof) of real life religion is not what this thread what created for, try to be respectful and civil towards everyone please :)

There are more details and good discussion in the pages back, feel free to read through and see what others had to say.

• Options
    JasonRMJJasonRMJ Posts: 744 Member
    have you not read any news about Myanmar buddhist attacking Rohingya muslims because the Rohingya's are not citizen of the country, they(rohingya) are treated like outcast and have limited rights.It astounds me to see that a peaceful religion/philosophy(Buddhism) that the Myanmar's has practice generation to generation are still blinded by hate.

have you not heard the Dalai Lama speech on how anyone that hurts anyone else is no longer part of the religion? Was being shared on my FB quite often recently.
    I'm not discriminating them they're discriminating themselves, they're so blinded by their religion, that they're truly selfish enough to segregate humanity...

by saying that they should be denied even the most basic representation because you don't want to see them, you're discriminating.
    This thread needs to get closed. too controversial to talk in this T rated game....

permission to discuss this was asked. If you don't like the thread, you can leave the thread.

1.Great moral high ground fallacy on a person, so the Dalai Lama is a Holier-than-Thou reincarnate that controls Buddhism and says that people who attack someone is AUTOMATICALLY not a Buddhist?, no one is superior to judge others even if they have done harm, and no one controls religion even Buddhism, The Dalai Lama is not a god he is an reincarnate of Avalokiteśvara a religious figure that's it. I have been a Buddhist for 10 years until I went full nihilistic at it.
    since they aren't Buddhist what are they?. I'm astounded that you ASSUME that these Buddhist are not Buddhist! this is lazy attempt to draw away an argument.

2. oh so you're okay for them being represented while they're discriminating themselves? Oxymoron much. why would you want them to be in the game? I'm already happy that the Sims is an Egalitarian utopia, but mixing it with religions contradicts this Utopian society because how they have different beliefs!

3. yes, permission was asked but RL religion iconographys,figures etc should not be allowed in this game.PERIOD. Highly controversial, because it will caused more harm than good. do you want to see religious figures portray in a negative way which will spark an outcry and protest on this game, I warn you this world is not YOUR world, you can't control what people do in this unpredictable world. If you can't accept reality, I have nothing else to say...
    39829553185_e53f1e3e20_o_d.jpg

• Options
    edited September 2016

1 billion atheists leaves 6 billion religious. Why do you want to discriminate against such an overwhelming majority?

majority? of different religions?
    dude have you ever step outside of reality?

There's a massive number of variants(denomination) of Christianity that don't agree to each other because of a different belief of the religion itself, which causes separation not unification.
    not only that Islam has around four known denomination that is S'hia,Sunni,Ahmadiyya, & khawarij. Three of them are extremely narrow- minded, except for the Ahmadiyyas(Ahmadis) they are extremely tolerant and liberal minded but are highly discriminated by Sunnis which is really sad.
    For Judaism all I can say is that it actually discriminates all non-jews because they(Jews) believe that they're the chosen people of God,more separation at humanity.

honestly you're living in La La Land thinking that all religion are peaceful when in fact they're intolerant to each other even themselves.It irks me to see people trying to mix two/three/four etc religion together in hopes of making them coexist and ultimately fails at it, It's like mixing water and oil and they're(religions) belligerent to do so.

Please do not discuss real world religions here nor lump them all together. Some Unitarian Universalists are secular humanists, but are willing to band together with others with diverse beliefs to accomplish common goals like social justice or environmentalism or family support that they could not do as well alone. Criticizing others beliefs does not unite the community.

I absolutely forgot about Unitarian Universalist, they have a wonderful religion that are more accepting and open minded.
    also so that means I can't criticize others beliefs that's discriminating another belief?

• Options
    edited September 2016
    @JasonRMJ @mirta000

Hi, is it possible you two can continue your discussion via PM if possible? Im trying to avoid my thread being closed lol

And on your last point, @.Jason, I agree RL icongraphy could be trouble to say the least in-game. I could only see that happening if this system was made and modders did that themselves.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    @JasonRMJ @mirta000

Hi, is it possible you two can continue your discussion via PM if possible? Im trying to avoid my thread being closed lol

And on your last point, @.Jason, I agree RL icongraphy could be trouble to say the least in-game. I could only see that happening if this system was made and modders did that themselves.

Also sorry.
    I'll step down and avoid this thread.... ;)
    I don't want your thread to get closed.
    I was shocked to see some Simmers want RL religions in the game, which I have to speak out against it, for the sake of it not spiraling out of control.

• Options

Also sorry.
    I'll step down and avoid this thread.... ;)
    I don't want your thread to get closed.
    I was shocked to see some Simmers want RL religions in the game, which I have to speak out against it, for the sake of it not spiraling out of control.

No problem :) and thank you. I cant see rl ones being actually in the game either.

And honestly I highly doubt EA would go for any of this at all, it would be way risky, but I thought why not go ahead and make a thread to discuss if it was, how it could be respectful, inoffensive, and interesting gameplay that could add another layer of depth in the sims.

• Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    What we need for chapels, cathedrals, churches, temples, and landmarks is additional build tools. I love stained glass windows, fancy chandeliers, gargoyles, bell towers, and light, statue or symbol placement on roofs. Something like the weathervane in Sims 2. It adds atmosphere. Modders already can make wall signs, decals and statues with specific symbols or religious or secular figures. Rounded roofs like on the Taj Mahal or St Peter's Basilica would be beautiful too.

I like these suggestions.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,205 Member
    @SimsILikeSims Excellent comments :)

I meant to also mention the curved/rounded roofs that are like at this cathedral:

Famous-Buildings-in-Russia-Cathedral-of-St-Basil.jpg

Being able to add architecture like this would be amazing.

The-Basilica-Of-The-Sacred-Heart-Of-Paris-Paris.jpg
    5238557764_2f174bb1c8_b.jpeg
    st-patrick-cathedral.jpg

I've seen this cathedral in Mexico City personally and it's beautiful:
    Catedral_de_M%C3%A9xico.jpg

Its also would be more cultural too :blush:
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    I'd love to get those rounded dome shaped roofs. And Gothic architecture is my favourite style.
  • Options
    o-mosq10.jpg

I love the colors from the windows *_*

• Options
    sooozeeebeeesooozeeebeee Posts: 665 Member
    I really love all that architecture. So beautiful! There are already some amazing cathedrals and places of worship builds on the gallery, and I downloaded one to have the ultimate wedding venue, but you cant have a wedding at a generic lot. WHY? I actually don't understand why any of the social events are lot specific? WHY? Then when you do get to a venue you have to deal with the party crashers. I know I am repeating myself. I'm just really frustrated.

Life, Death, Love, and Birth, these are aspects of life we all have in common and a huge part of real life and sim play, and yet we don't have funerals in our game, and the grieving, or complete lack of it, is weird. I think I want revamped weddings as much as I want funerals and a grave yard or cemetery of some sort.

I think someone here mentioned this already, and I agree that It would actually make an awesome pack. A new community venue with a chapel of some sort and a grave yard and a mausoleum (I love those!). New items or objects all have a sad aura you can enable. Items would be; a caskets, 2 or 3 different styles, which have options to grieve, faint, laugh, kick. Tall pillar candles, more decorative grave stones or markers and urns, new options for functional urns and grave stones of the deceased like color or shape, church pews that seat 3 or maybe more, and stained glass windows. It would also be the perfect time to give us multiple story arches and columns and doors, as well as 3 space wide arches. Multiple story windows would be awesome too or at least sets that give the appearance of one. Add an interactive object, The Podium, which has several different options for speeches, and it builds charisma or comedy and has all the functions of a microphone. Three new social events for the deceased, A Funeral, very somber and serious, everyone wears black, lots of crying and grieving. A Celebration Of Life, more light hearted and cheerful. A Wake, with lots of drinking, toasts to the deceased, jokes and dancing. For CAS; new black clothes, black hats and wreaths with black veils, smeared eyeliner running down the face, blood shot eyes.

For a wedding, white color options of all of the above lol. Wedding are actually ok, if they had an option to make them private. Maybe a "Private" event costs more? That is fine with me. They can call the pack, "Love And Death".
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    The game is already on the way to cthulhuism, having a tenticled monster under the bed and all. :p
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif