Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Simulation Tech Talk

Comments

• Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited May 2016
    I couldn't live without my fat Grim Reaper

Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited May 2016
    crinrict wrote: »

https://twitter.com/crinrict/status/727912333335474177

I was about to say that maybe 0 Reapers is what you end up with when yours gets so fat it explodes.

Oh yeah. Also I was going to say this:
    @SimGuruEugi, what's the save-file size point that seems to start causing problems at the lower end? When we were seeing obvious file bloat causing problems in the Tech forums, they were massive files.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    bythedreadwolfbythedreadwolf Posts: 832 Member
    IngeJones wrote: »
    ebuchala wrote: »
    @SimGuruEugi

I've wanted to see multi-use or combined lots since the game was released, pretty much. Is this something that can be done? By multi-use, I mean make a lot a combo of residential and commercial or retail, or combine commercial and retail or different types of commercial lots, etc.

This is mostly a question for design. I would think the reason we haven't focused on multi-use lots is so we could concentrate on delivering very iconic experiences.

Can you say that again in another way cos I don't quite get what you are saying. Tbh I am not quite sure what "iconic experiences" are, lol, therefore I don't know how they conflict with multi-use lots.

If you have a library, then all Sims on the lot behave as if they are the library. They'll read books, they'll use the computer, etc...
    If you have a lot that's a library but also a nightclub, now half the Sims are behaving as if they are at the library, while half the Sims are behaving as if they are at a nightclub... the behavior starts to dilute a little bit...

What about a new venue type, a mall maybe? If sort of works like a multi-use lot. Do you think it could work better? Let's say a mall that has a restaurant, shops, bowling and cinemas (if those two things come back in the future that is). Would it be too confusing for sims because there's too much to do in one lot? :D
  • Options
    HaidenHaiden Posts: 3,841 Member
    edited May 2016
    Haiden wrote: »
    When deciding on introducing new features to the game (and when I say new, it could also be features that were present in previous games) how does the games engine complexity come into play. When devs say a feature is hard to animate for example (but we had this feature/animation in a previous iteration) is this due to the fact that it is actually "hard to do" but "can be done" or is that the game engine itself can't support the feature?

If previous older sims game engines could run these features/animations surely a modern game engine like Ts4 could do it correct? Or is it that Ts4 base engine just is not capable of running these said features. Some clarity on this question would be great as it would help some of us understand what content to expect and at the same time know what features to ask for that would work within the Ts4 game engines capabilities.

Ps. The features/animations I'm eluding to is things like: Holding hands/slow dancing/snuggling together in bed etc.

It's a hard question to answer because a lot of it depends on what perspective you're looking at it from.

Some of the things you mention, such as holding hands, would have been really hard to do in Sims 3 as well. I don't believe that's something we ever introduced to the series. The challenges would be the same (how do Sims behave when avoiding obstacles, for example).

A lot of the decisions come down to whether or not we think we'd be able to deliver a quality feature. 90% good does not cut it. For example, @SimGuruGraham recently talked about lounge chairs requiring us to author social animations from a "relaxed" position. We would want to do that so Sims would be able to multitask (which is a big thing for us) while using the object. We could go ahead and implement a version that didn't support multitasking, but that's not something we'd want to do, because it wouldn't meet our (and the players') quality expectations.

Thank you for taking the time to answer. :smile:

I have one more question though....if the multitasking feature was not present, would it make a difference to the type of animations that could be made....for example like the way they were done in Ts3? I do understand that certain animations are hard to do. Could it ever be turned off for certain animations. For example if I wanted my sim to have some alone time doing something that does not require them to multi task while doing the said action, can a compromise ever be made that multitasking is not required for that animation, or is multitasking ever present as a constant variable when doing animations for this series?

Also Saying that is there a possibility that it could ever be toned down somewhat as sims are now trying to do to much, for example if a sims sits down to eat and drink a glass of juice and at the same time have a conversation with family, could the multitasking be stopped at that point so they only do those 3 actions instead of moving around to several seating positions or leaving the table to go talk to sims outside?
    Post edited by Haiden on
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    Mind you, I made a lot into a bar, and put one bookshelf in it. All the sims go straight to the bookshelf and pull out a book before doing anything else.
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    @SimGuruEugi could you tell me if there are fx deer in Windenburg, around the chateau lot? Or anywhere for that matter! I know there are fx sheep in various places and ducks that a car will stop and wait for ducklings to cross the road... all very cute... but deer?
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    crinrict wrote: »

Wow he is awesome. I need to figure out how to make Reaper children, so I can make grim tragic children. >:)
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Who reaped the Reaper?
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    @SimGuruEugi

I've wanted to see multi-use or combined lots since the game was released, pretty much. Is this something that can be done? By multi-use, I mean make a lot a combo of residential and commercial or retail, or combine commercial and retail or different types of commercial lots, etc.

This is mostly a question for design. I would think the reason we haven't focused on multi-use lots is so we could concentrate on delivering very iconic experiences.

Can you say that again in another way cos I don't quite get what you are saying. Tbh I am not quite sure what "iconic experiences" are, lol, therefore I don't know how they conflict with multi-use lots.

If you have a library, then all Sims on the lot behave as if they are the library. They'll read books, they'll use the computer, etc...
    If you have a lot that's a library but also a nightclub, now half the Sims are behaving as if they are at the library, while half the Sims are behaving as if they are at a nightclub... the behavior starts to dilute a little bit...

But, if there are two different commercial venues on one lot, you would expect diluted behavior. Not that I would ever put a library with a nightclub (why the heck would I want to ruin a perfectly good library? :p ) but let's go with a bookstore (retail lot) and a café. I would expect a few people to be browsing books while a few people are buying coffee, chatting at the tables, etc. IOW, I would EXPECT some dilution of behavior between the two different parts of the lot and I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    @SimGuruEugi

Oh, OK. I can see why combining two special lot types like that might be strange, but I kind of liked being able to run a business from my sim's home, having a shop below and living accommodation above that we could do in TS2.

Yes this is a big part of why I'd like multi-use lots.
  • Options

Isn't that what the generic lots are for? I was able to make a movie theatre due to that lot type.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Scobre wrote: »

Isn't that what the generic lots are for? I was able to make a movie theatre due to that lot type.

NPCs don't autonomously visit those lots. You'd have to either control the sims to get them to visit or I guess invite them directly.
  • Options

NPCs don't autonomously visit those lots. You'd have to either control the sims to get them to visit or I guess invite them directly.
    Yeah that's true. I really hope there is a mall for the Sims 4. The mall in the Sims Freeplay just looks so cool. So it would be nice to have a multi-fuction lot like a mall for the Sims to visit someday.
  • Options

Yeah that's true. I really hope there is a mall for the Sims 4. The mall in the Sims Freeplay just looks so cool. So it would be nice to have a multi-fuction lot like a mall for the Sims to visit someday.

I designed a mall for one of the big base game lots. Looked pretty cool but I never ended up using it, other than to test it for routing. I labelled it as a park (this was before we had retail) but it just didn't work well with a single lot type.
  • Options

I designed a mall for one of the big base game lots. Looked pretty cool but I never ended up using it, other than to test it for routing. I labelled it as a park (this was before we had retail) but it just didn't work well with a single lot type.
    That's a bummer. I should try it sometime. I tried making a store that sells both bakery goods and paintings. It is working ok so far, but Sims don't seem to care about getting their photo taken at it.
  • Options

That's a bummer. I should try it sometime. I tried making a store that sells both bakery goods and paintings. It is working ok so far, but Sims don't seem to care about getting their photo taken at it.

I might do a bookstore/café combo like I described and I'm working on an apartment building with a live-in complex owner (who's also a spy or monster/demon hunter depending on what story/save I decide to use him in). I actually already have a shop/residence. I also made it before GTW but I forget what lot type I used. There's an antique shop in the front, an apartment at the back, a small rented loft apartment above the back apartment and an office storage room above the shop. I would love to make that one functional as a multi-use lot with a rented apartment, residence and shop.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    @SimGuruEugi I know this is a future question sorry, but will the musical chair bug be addressed before the release of the next GP? Especially with it being restaurants. I really don't want these two bugs ruining the experience with the next pack. I mean they have been bugs awhile and been reported to the bug forum already as well as on the EA site, but I hope that they are addressed soon. There is like musical chairs when Sims clean up too sometimes where they sit down before putting a dish away.

A Simmer named QDog was experiencing the bugs too and their experience.
    "It's one of my biggest pet peeves about this game. Together with the fact that sims are way too social. The other day I took two of my sims to the lounge. They grabbed a drink and sat down at a table. I thought "neat, look at them having a drink and talking". But that didn't last long. They started switching chairs and eventually some old woman (a complete stranger) came holding a book and sat with my sims. She sat there reading and talking to my sims. Whyyyyy!

If they finally address these issues (i.e. Musical chairs and random strangers getting in the middle of conversations and interrupting dates) the wait will be worth it!"
    Source: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/886233/any-gamepack-3-news/p21

@SimGuruNick @SimGuruArvin Are either of you aware of these two bugs? I hope that they can be exterminated soon.
    Post edited by Scobre on
  • Options
    SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member

I might do a bookstore/café combo like I described and I'm working on an apartment building with a live-in complex owner (who's also a spy or monster/demon hunter depending on what story/save I decide to use him in). I actually already have a shop/residence. I also made it before GTW but I forget what lot type I used. There's an antique shop in the front, an apartment at the back, a small rented loft apartment above the back apartment and an office storage room above the shop. I would love to make that one functional as a multi-use lot with a rented apartment, residence and shop.

I could see multi-use commercial lots, but the original question was residential-commercial lots. The answer to this reminds me of how Sims behaved in Sims 1 when I tried to make a commercial lot out of a residential lot (ie a movie theatre): only a few Sims invited to the party (best way to get Sims to visit in TS1 at residential lots) watched the movie: several went upstairs to play the magic set (from Makin Magic) instead or played a charades game that came with House Party I think. And though I had multi-person women's & men's rooms, all the Sims wanted to use the golden toilet, and complained that the door was locked (since I had a hacked door object that was designed to keep visitors out), and even queued up to use the golden toilet despite the availability of regular toilets.

Likewise, if you tried to make a commercial lot into a commercial-residential lot, 1 - all the residential furniture wouldn't be available, and 2 - you could put a bed and a kitchen behind a locked door, but you would have to be careful to lock the door to allow only the active Sim to enter (it wouldn't work for families, unless you made all your family members employees and nobody else employees and locked it to allow employees only). Even then, you would probably have Sims on the lot standing around complaining about the locked door, unless the AI has gotten better since Sims 1.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member

I could see multi-use commercial lots, but the original question was residential-commercial lots. The answer to this reminds me of how Sims behaved in Sims 1 when I tried to make a commercial lot out of a residential lot (ie a movie theatre): only a few Sims invited to the party (best way to get Sims to visit in TS1 at residential lots) watched the movie: several went upstairs to play the magic set (from Makin Magic) instead or played a charades game that came with House Party I think. And though I had multi-person women's & men's rooms, all the Sims wanted to use the golden toilet, and complained that the door was locked (since I had a hacked door object that was designed to keep visitors out), and even queued up to use the golden toilet despite the availability of regular toilets.

Likewise, if you tried to make a commercial lot into a commercial-residential lot, 1 - all the residential furniture wouldn't be available, and 2 - you could put a bed and a kitchen behind a locked door, but you would have to be careful to lock the door to allow only the active Sim to enter (it wouldn't work for families, unless you made all your family members employees and nobody else employees and locked it to allow employees only). Even then, you would probably have Sims on the lot standing around complaining about the locked door, unless the AI has gotten better since Sims 1.
    It's funny that you should post about how sims in Sims 1 behave when interacting with only certain things in the game. Because I had something similar happen to me in Sims 3. I had put that bubble blowing machine on a public lot that I had converted from a residential lot in Sims 3 one time. And not one NPC or townie sim even bother play with it.

• Options

Um...try rereading the original question. It was my question and I was asking about all kinds of multi use lots including both residential/retail and combined commercial lots.

They have certainly altered what's available to do in the game in the iterations following TS1 and improved the AI. If you followed the conversation, you'll see that we can definitely design the lots with whatever they need for them (i.e., we can design a residence on a commercial lot and a business on a residential lot).

The door locking has improved since TS1 because you can set a door to lock for everyone except specific Sims or lock for everyone except your hh, etc.

So there's a lot in place that could make this work. It sounds like the biggest issue is the likelihood that Sims would not keep the boundaries of mixed establishments so if you have a cafe and a gym together, you could end up with Sims taking food over and eating in the workout areas.
  • Options
    SimGuruEugiSimGuruEugi Posts: 503 SimGuru
    @SimGuruEugi I know this is a future question sorry, but will the musical chair bug be addressed before the release of the next GP? Especially with it being restaurants. I really don't want these two bugs ruining the experience with the next pack. I mean they have been bugs awhile and been reported to the bug forum already as well as on the EA site, but I hope that they are addressed soon. There is like musical chairs when Sims clean up too sometimes where they sit down before putting a dish away.

"It's one of my biggest pet peeves about this game. Together with the fact that sims are way too social. The other day I took two of my sims to the lounge. They grabbed a drink and sat down at a table. I thought "neat, look at them having a drink and talking". But that didn't last long. They started switching chairs and eventually some old woman (a complete stranger) came holding a book and sat with my sims. She sat there reading and talking to my sims. Whyyyyy!

If they finally address these issues (i.e. Musical chairs and random strangers getting in the middle of conversations and interrupting dates) the wait will be worth it!"
    Source: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/886233/any-gamepack-3-news/p21

@SimGuruNick @SimGuruArvin Are either of you aware of these two bugs? I hope that they can be exterminated soon.

I'm not about what's going into future patches, but I wouldn't be able to say for sure until the notes are published anyway. Since you've tagged our Live QA, it's going to definitely be investigated though :)
  • Options
    edited May 2016

I'm not about what's going into future patches, but I wouldn't be able to say for sure until the notes are published anyway. Since you've tagged our Live QA, it's going to definitely be investigated though :)
    Awesome. That is good to hear. Yeah some bugs can be quite nasty, so it was very good news to hear that they both joined the QA team. I know you may have mentioned this before, but what do you do at Maxis?
    Post edited by Scobre on
  • Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    The sit down on clean up dishes was actually addressed in the last patch. I haven't seen it on cleaning up dishes since. I think it's still happens with books (have a mod for that) and I've also seen it on other occasions but the dishes one should mostly be gone.

If you still experience it, please post in the appropriate threads in the bug forum.
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    SimGuruArvinSimGuruArvin Posts: 16 SimGuru

Hi Scobre. We are aware of the Musical Chairs issues. We'll let you know if there's anything we have questions on. Thanks for the reports!
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Hi Scobre. We are aware of the Musical Chairs issues. We'll let you know if there's anything we have questions on. Thanks for the reports!
    Thank you. Yeah just seems like something that could hinder the upcoming GP. :(@crinrict Yeah the dishes is happening less and the homework one got addressed. I noticed that with the books too. Sims are just finding odd spots to put dishes sometimes like on walls with nothing on them. But that might be a Gallery issue in that I downloaded a house from there. Bugs like me too much. :( I should tag you guys in another thread.

I forgot to say, Hi SimGuruArvin. *Goes to hide now*
    Post edited by Scobre on

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top