Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Côtes d'Ambonnay - a French Medieval World - FEATURED*

Comments

• Options
    geminiagregeminiagre Posts: 6,918 Member
    edited October 2013
    *drools all over and bookmarks*

Outstanding job!!!
  • Options
    happyjmehappyjme Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited October 2013
    Im loving the architecture you created in this world. I may have to buy the store worlds just for this! haha
    But seriously, this looks wonderful so far :)
  • Options
    aminovasaminovas Posts: 1,523 Member
    edited October 2013
    hello, I just wanted to note for anyone who is lacking some of the store worlds being used in this world, worlds are on sale on Origin right now!
  • Options
    ReachsimsReachsims Posts: 7,932 Member
    edited February 2015
    Thanks so much, everyone, for the kind words and Aminovas for the heads-up. :D

@Pary - From past discussions, I know how you feel about Showtime and I feel exactly the same. As it turned out, a family member gave the EP to me as a gift. I didn't install it for several months, when I was eventually asked how I liked it. I'm not sure what there is to like. :?

~~~

For those players who like to host a little wedding in their games, here is Saint Benedictine's Chapel with its tiny cemetery in the village or Armagnac. This is not the main cemetery which will have the mausoleum, but a simple village church.

Saint+Benedictine%2527s+Chapel.jpg

Here is the sanctuary. In the cellar you can find the makings of a distillery where the monks have created and distilled their fine liqueurs for centuries. You are free to use the nectar presses but if you wish to sample or buy anything, you will have to visit the main nectary in Sarlat.

[img]https://🐸🐸🐸🐸.googleusercontent.com/-PvNB6hPIqys/UlLr_KYcn1I/AAAAAAAAARw/BmZvj9CwbgQ/w700-h436-no/A+simple+sanctuary.jpg[/img]

An overview... For those who remember my Battersea Merchant's House, this is an enlarged version with additional structures. This is the Armagnac Manor House.

The+Manor+House+and+the+Chapel.jpg
    Post edited by Reachsims on
  • Options
    ClayworldClayworld Posts: 1,106 Member
    edited October 2013
    Mon Dieu! I can't believe how wonderful all of this is. Hopefully by the time it's released, I'll be able to get the needed EA worlds. I was planning to anyway, but this motivates me even more.
  • Options
    Starsaphire2Starsaphire2 Posts: 315 Member
    edited October 2013
    I am sooooo in love with this world. Adore the nectory-church.

Normally I'd never be so rude as to toss in wishes....but, Reachsims, as you gave me permission to mention one or two....

Wish #1: Is it possible to add a haunted forest? So when little Red grabs her cloak and basket, she must walk through the dark and scary woods. I don't really have a vision of this, just thinking of the opportunity to add cow plants near a footpath. :twisted: And, of course, an evil witch's hut.

I usually play a teen vagabond at the start of each new world I explore, it pushes me into taking my sim out, looking for simple needs to be met, like finding a shower or an apple tree or flowers to pick and sell. This brings me to Wish #2: Having a couple of tiny home-lots available next to parks, or in an alleyway, or next to anywhere that makes sense for a homeless sim to curl up and sleep. I'm continually adding such lots in edit town to most worlds I DL, but I worry about length of generational play before corruption may occur.
  • Options
    xSorcierxSorcier Posts: 346 Member
    edited October 2013
    a post form the both of us---

Starsaphire, Reach and I think that you must be reading our minds. When I conceived of the uppermost (northern) island, The Badlands, it was my intention that this would be a creepy, scary, dark, haunted sort of place full of unsavory characters. Of course, it's a perfect fit for any of the supernatural characters we have in the game. Near the eastern end, there is the witch's house and the pathway to get there is in fact quite dreary, dark and some say it really is haunted. I don't own the cowplant yet, but that's a great idea to add some of those along the pathway.

We do have a hangout - rest stop for homeless Sims located in Armagnac. It is called La Cage Aux Folles and it does have sleeping facilities. As we both like to play (and Reach always starts her games with) a poor, hungry unskilled Sim, we like to offer several starters around the world so you can start out in any community, without using money cheats.

We will do our best to offer plenty of empty lots for the players' use - we like to decorate them a little so they look better for those who have no use for them. A simple bulldozing of the lot, just once, will remove our decor and allow the player to use the lot in his own way. We are well aware that we can no longer add lots to our worlds using the World Editor without risking breaking routing and so the possibility of having usable, open lots truly rests with the world creator.

Please keep the requests coming! You may come up with something we don't want to miss.
    *I recently changed my origin ID from levijeronimo to xSorcier.
  • Options
    aminovasaminovas Posts: 1,523 Member
    edited October 2013
    The chapel is so gorgeous , and of course I remember the manor as the Battersea Merchant's House. I love that lot.

Unless I am playing my legacy family, I also start out as an impoverished sim. I usually use mods to take away all their money so they have to make their way in the world. I love the idea of a haunted area for supernatural sims! This is going to be really fun as well as beautiful :D
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    edited October 2013
    Oh gosh, I agree! What she said. :-o That chapel is beautiful and the forest idea sounds perfect for this world. :-)
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    Serendipity38Serendipity38 Posts: 1,267 Member
    edited October 2013
    OH MY GOD!

I'm sooooo loving this world so far, do you two have any idea of a time frame when you think it might be ready and on the exchange?

Also, more importantly to me personally...I don't have Showtime installed, so I was glad to hear that it can be downloaded and installed without Showtime, yay! HOWEVER...I don't have Island Paradise either (Nor do I think I'll EVER get it). Do you two know if this world will work alright do you think, for those of us without IP? Or are there areas of the world that can only be reached by boats and such? (I really hope not, I sooo want this world when it's finished!)

Simply stunning and amazing work, hats off and major thanks to the both of you!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Hi everyone! Today I felt like I should show you more about Reach's work on this world, she is a very talented builder and I'm loving working with her on this enchanted world.

When we started working on the Village of Armagnac we agreed that we would choose a theme for many of the houses for three reasons:
    First, because it makes the village more authentic, unique and diverse;
    Second, that's the way things used to be on that times, people worked at home or to be more clear people lived at work!;
    Third, because it is FUN! and that was and still is the real reason why we are building this, we enjoy building and we enjoy working together.

One of the houses we haven't shown you before is the Cheesemaker's House. YES! the house from the one who makes the cheese, we know we have the Milkin' It Dairy Corral now but the milk does not come directly from the cow, from a few glasses of milk or not from a plant either! :D In those times it was a common profession or, for some of them, a common thing to do at home for their own use.

And so, Reach built this AMAZING house! this house has the most beautiful facade of them all, don't you agree with me?
    This wonderful house is two bedrooms, including a master and baby's room, on the first floor and two bedrooms in the basement with two single beds each.

[img]https://🐸🐸🐸🐸.googleusercontent.com/-xEbWM9CpG84/UmBHJpE0sSI/AAAAAAAABac/e9Ik_ZlVYcE/w700-h436-no/Cheesemaker.jpg[/img]

Cheesemaker+First+Floor.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Starsaphire, Aminovas and Tangie, thanks a bunch for the kind words about the chapel. I'll be uploading that lot to the Exchange soon so players can use it in other worlds. Please feel free to remind me if I forget. I think the lot is a good fit for several worlds but its real home is in Côtes d'Ambonnay. :mrgreen:

@Serendipity, unfortunately for those who don't have Island Paradise, we don't think this world will be playable. The actual world of three islands was built quite a while ago with the hope that our Sims would be able to travel to islands one day. Island Paradise made that hope a reality. Hopefully, you have the option to reconsider obtaining IP.

We can't commit to an exact date but we certainly expect a release next year. (I'm personally pushing for late spring or mid-year.) We were able to build the village of Armagnac in two months and we are currently putting some finishing touches to the downtown area of Sarlat. From there, we are heading to the Docks at Sarlat to complete some lots there. Working together as a team, we have almost four months into the project. Of course, my dear friend xSorcier who created the world has much more time invested. So, we make no promises but know we're doing our best in a timely manner and family and life's responsibilities come first. Thank you for your support.

~~~~~

xSorcier! You are too kind! :oops: And you have me blushing. I have learned a lot working with you and it gives me a tremendous amount of pleasure. Amongst my happiest memories of everything Sim-related has been working along side of you for most of this year, beginning with Al Medina. We are both student and teacher at the same time and I think it's pure magic what we are achieving together. Being of ONE MIND on this project is essential and we could not get far without that. I'm most grateful for that, the fun and most of all, your friendship. You are a sweetheart. I look forward to showing off some of your stunning builds.
  • Options
    Serendipity38Serendipity38 Posts: 1,267 Member
    edited October 2013
    Reachsims wrote:

@Serendipity, unfortunately for those who don't have Island Paradise, we don't think this world will be playable. The actual world of three islands was built quite a while ago with the hope that our Sims would be able to travel to islands one day. Island Paradise made that hope a reality. Hopefully, you have the option to reconsider obtaining IP.

Oh no!*Sighs* Well, maybe if/when Origin has another great sale on Sims 3 EP's and SP's, I might get IP then. Because I would really, really love your world, I'm sure of it! And though I'm certain I'm not the only one impatient to see it at last and to be able to play it, I also know that art takes time. Great art, especially! In the meanwhile, I hope you two keep the pics of the WIP coming!

Thank you very much for the reply to my question!
  • Options
    YellowJaneYellowJane Posts: 6,589 Member
    edited October 2013
    Beautiful world, would go great with the Dragon Valley content :)

Well done, it looks really pro!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Super glad to hear about the creepy 'bad lands', I'm pretty certain that somewhere in the haunted forest I'll be placing a "Door of Life & Death" -- from Grim's Ghastly Manor. What a great quest for a sim to undertake. Muhahahahaha

I also appreciate a campground or lodge for my adult sims, unfortunately my teen orphans can't sleep on comm lots, the cops always bring them back to their owned lots. I don't know why I enjoy making it so hard on myself at the start a game :roll: My answer is to have my sim's parental unit either purchase a raft and/or a couple of small lots around town before said unit's, er, forced demise. :wink:

How am I'm going to play this world when it's finished? I'll be spending all my time oohing and aahing over each and every lot and all the spaces in between. The cheese house: Cuteness meter pegged! I'm not sure I could bulldoze any of your lots to make my own, so I will just plead for an abandoned barn or two :D and maybe a couple of overgrown potato plants.

No rush on your world -- Enjoy the fun of your creative endeavors. It will give the rest of us something wondrous to anticipate.

• Options
    StellaTorontoStellaToronto Posts: 2,123 Member
    edited October 2013
    Hi Starsaphire2
    If you don't have a police station rabbithole you're teens can't be picked up after curfew.
    Not placing a school means children don't have to worry about social workers coming if they miss school.
    The setting for Cotes d'Ambonnay works well not using these rabbitholes.
    Childhood was very short in Medieval times & most had no formal education.
    Your teen Sims can sleep on comm lots :wink:
    stellatorontosims.tumblr.com
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Thank you everybody for stopping by and leaving your lovely comments here :) Your ideas are really appreciated.

@Starsaphire, We also have some ideas about the new "Door of Life & Death" specially in the Badlands island, we are not working on that area yet so we'll talk more about it later ;) and I do understand what you feel about teens sleeping in community lots... Sometimes I want my teen sims to go out alone at night to do important stuff like fishing at the graveyard and they always end up getting caught!

@Stella, thank you very much for your ideas and your input. I've never thought that I could have my teens out at night if I don't have a Police station in the world :)
    We do realize there wasn't much of a childhood in those times but we want to have the base game Rabbit Holes in Cotes d'Ambonnay for others who play regular families but I might consider to remove some of them later in my own personal game.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Hi xSorcier
    I didn't mean to suggest which rabbitholes to include.
    I've been building & playing pre industrial worlds for quite a while.
    Tested how the absence of each RH effects game play.
    There are lots of options of which RH to include or omit :)
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    @Stella - thanks! xSorcier knew what you meant and I also appreciate your input here because I have played some of the same ways you have and/or in the same type of worlds, including doing without the school. It's nice to know my teen Sims can now finally catch that death fish. I am happy to get rid of the police department and I thank you for sharing that information. One hundred percent of my Sims fish but my teens are blowing you kisses.

I know of your reputation here as well and read a lot of your posts and you are always so helpful. Thanks for the time you give to do this. :D
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    @Stella - Thank you for the tips! I'm going to remove the police station from my current game. Does this mean my sim is free to vandalize walls with street-art too? :twisted: I've yet to have an orphaned teen removed by the social worker, but I haven't had a teen trying to take care of a younger sibling. Sounds like a challenge I should try. I could see where removing the school could come in very handy for playing a pre-industrial world.

Now if we could just get rid of those pesky cars. I usually go in and delete all the residents' cars and make bikes their preferred mode of transport...at least at the start of a game in a historical setting. It seems to help a bit. Any other ideas how to cut down on cars?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Hi Starsaphire2, I don't have University so don't know what happens when Sims vandalize walls with street-art.
    I can only imagine they won't get into trouble. Without a police station RH there literal is no police.
    Unfortunately thieves still spawn without a criminal hideout :( Households are on their own to drive off bandits.

In Simmer made worlds it's a lot easier to limit or remove cars.
    Limiting or removing roads is the most obvious, but there are consequences.
    Travelling around the map takes forever.
    There are no vehicles but also no bicycles, scooters, brooms, baby strollers or fire engines :(
    If you have no or fewer rabbitholes this will cut down on commuting/carpooling demands.
    If you place roads; add no parking pads anywhere. Cars will still stockpile in Sims inventory :(
    Add alternate forms of transport to every lot.
    Bicycles & bike racks(base game), hitching posts & stables (Pets), Llama telaporters or brooms/stands (SN), Miner Holes (AMB-very limited use)
    There are probably others, but these are the alt transport modes from the EPs I have.
    I use MC (map tags on). In my present roadless world I quite often watch in Map view.
    It's like watching an ant box. I love to see Sims running, walking & horseback riding around.
    It would be great if I could track Sims movement to optimize lot placement & routing.

I'm very happy the results of my Simming experiments are of some use to others :D
    I'm always try out new hypothesis of what the Sims 3 will/can do & I'm routing obsessed :wink:
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Stella, thanks for the great info! It will be helpful when playing this medieval world and others. I can easily add hitching posts and stables. Whoa! I had no idea about miner holes being a mode of transport, you mentioned very limited use...is there a problem with too many? I see a new challenge shaping up for my next game.

I really wish we had a bike/stroller/scooter pathway. :!: It would certainly help.

Totally cracked me up visualizing your sim-ant-box. :mrgreen: I'm also fascinated with routing sims. I've been planning on adding Into the Future (not because I'm interested; but because I want all the EPs installed so I can DL any world built) and then adding MC...as I am a control freak.

I often assign the brave trait so my sims can fight off thieves, so I'm pretty sure my simmies can live without the police dept. Again, thanks for your expertise.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Hi Starsaphire2, with the miner holes you have site to site travel between 2 points.
    There is a miner hole in debug, but I've only been able to make the holes I dug with miner actually work for travel.
    NPC Sims don't use this travel option, only your household Sims.
    They might have patched to make the debug holes work since I tested this mode of travel out.
    I didn't mention WA dive wells because it's also site to site (non NPC) transport.
    Not to mention getting wet to go anywhere seems a bit unreasonable :wink:
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Oh shoot. I was gleefully planning on setting several holes around Cotes d'Ambonnay (esp. to the islands) and imagining NPC sims climbing out of the holes as if they were zombies. :wink: Think I'll play with this idea and have a high-traits miner-sim created and saved in my library as part of my new-world work crew. Al Medina seems like a perfect world for a few underground tunnels - even if only for my own household sims.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Thanks again, Stella and Starsaphire, for the informative discussion. One thing that will cut down on some traffic in Côtes d'Ambonnay is the fact that there are no parking spaces so the Sims will have to carry their cars with them. LOL. We have used a minimal amount of bike racks in some locations and there are a lot of hitching posts for those who prefer to use horses. I took the liberty of linking your discussion on my post on the first page because it's very helpful information.

~~~~~

A little teaser for you...

Coming soon to a world near you, xSorcier and I will soon be sharing an early release of Golde's Antiques and Treasures, available at your local friendly Exchange. The build is by my very talented friend and partner and we both think the place looks like a dollhouse.

Golde%2527s+Antiques.png
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top