Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would You Prefer The Team Ask You Before They Tweak?

CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
edited June 2018 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
I meant to do this as a poll, but forgot to hit the poll button. lol My question is a simple one, when patches roll out would you rather the Devs would have conducted a Poll about something Before they go tweaking a feature?

A new example of this tweaking is in the June 2018 patch notes where they have lowered the number of times a Sim will have a drink from the bar (only one) during a party....I'm sorry Sims acting like lushes was the very reason I had a party in this game. lol The patch notes say they will have a drink and then that's it. No, no,no...partying is about having as many social drinks as my Sims can stomach, because sitting around talking isn't my idea of these Sims partying.
Next time poll the mulitudes before you stop an attraction to an object or thing. The more you tweak the more I decide this is not the game I purchased.
"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Comments

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,874 Member
    In general yes, but in this case where its just a repetitive goal that doesn't effect the sim's behavior I'd say I'm glad they tweaked it. If there was some visual behavior change, like sims becoming obnoxious or acting inappropriately after several drinks, then I'd be upset. I believe they listened to the many who complained about the repetitive party goals.
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    edited June 2018
    If I had to guess, this might have been tweaked because it was causing issues with the Bladder motive. Maybe people were having an issue where guests would crowd the bathroom all at the same time or something? Not sure.

In general I'd appreciate polls for much larger things, like what SimGuruGrant did on Twitter asking about which life stages people would like to see looked at next (but ideally accessible on a site which doesn't rely on having a certain type of social media account). Runescape does community polls all the time and really lets that guide their update schedule. I wish the Sims did more of that especially now that they've adopted a live service model to be more like online games.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited June 2018
    I think it would be wise of them to ask, yes. Because they may think something is a huge problem for a majority, when it's often those content or fine with it who don't speak out by themselves. And they will when being asked.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    edited June 2018
    Nope. It would make updates take forever and 5 days to come out if they had to slow down the process to stop and ask us about every little thing. It already takes long enough for stuff to come out because of their own internal beauracracy and approval through management, without us random nobodies and non-devs playing managers too.

A lot of the changes come from our feedback already anyways. The drinking change? Feedback that it happened too much.

Baiting comments removed. - EA_Cian
    Post edited by EA_Cian on
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Well I wouldn't trust a forum poll.
    I would think now they decide changes through play testing, telemetry and public opinion. Some things also make sense to change (garden overhaul) because so many things are added that it becomes harder to keep up with.
    I think if they asked I'd want it to be in the form of a questionnaire dropped to owners of the game. They already know what we own and have a pretty good idea of how much we play even though we can play offline. It seems more fair to me to not perform a major especially controversial tweak without getting some input from the people that play the game. I'm not so concerned about little tweaks or common sense fixes though.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,342 Member
    No, I wouldn't want them to do that. I mean, of course I'd love it a lot if they asked ME, but they wouldn't do that. They'd go with what the majority wants and there's no guarantee that this is what I want, too.

I also wouldn't want to witness the fallout of "Because of (insert any group of sims players here) who voted to nerf (insert changed feature here) we cannot have nice things!" that would follow every poll.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    It's fair for them to get feedback, but we're not all going to agree. There will always be people who want a tweak and those who don't. A combination of general feedback (is the tweak much requested? Why do people want it?) plus technical feedback (how often are things happening in people's game? Is it balance across Simmers?) is probably the way to go. Permission is certainly not an issue, and voting doesn't get a sense of what people who play but don't hang out online in Sims areas are doing.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    i don't think it should be up to the players to decide what isn't working as intended, or how they should be fixing the game. I'd like to see that kept out of the players' hands.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Some decisions are crystal clear and don’t need to be investigated (like the toggles to disable supernaturals from spawning in Sims 3), but other decisions apparently are regretted by many because they changed the original set up of the game. Like TS3 storyprogression (I regret it’s completely gone) and alien abductions (Sims 4). And no toddlers for that matter, somebody thought they were doing us a big favour with that as well but it would have been wiser to ask directly instead of interpreting telemetry. I remember a big outcry when people thought they had changed something, causing that vampires wouldn’t visit your home anymore in the night. It turned out to be a misunderstanding and personally I’m very glad about it. Someone gifted me the pack recently and this in fact is one of the features I most look forward to. Because I’m a supernatural fan and when I have vampires in my game I want them to really mean something. Changing gameplay like that unasked? I’d never support that. It IS up to the players what works and what does not. Nobody knows better than actual players.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    If Sims are only going to have one drink during a party, (I had parties for fun and rarely used the goal type) is there a reason anymore to make drinks or work as bartender etc.? Not much. I can't remember if we hired a bartender but now that seems a little bit useless. Another thing I would be upset about is if my Mr. Green (from Clue game) suddenly stopped drinking so much. :o He was the only one in that household who did drink often, not sure why others might have a problem with all Sims drinking too often, but it was hilarious to me when Mr. Green fixed another drink while scheming over how to get all that Boddy money. ;)

Miss Scarlet was never slugging down another drink, just him...when a game has features I find funny and useful to my imagination then take them away I sometimes wonder why devs decided to change it. I don't recall any feedback here demanding drinking was an obsession but I did read where the basketball court was, and I agreed with that one. But when we don't see the thousands of complaints about a feature I wonder why they change stuff to 'make it better'. When you make it better you sometimes step on someone else's toes, so polls would be a nice feature. And don't have the right? lol, lol, lol. If I paid for a feature I expect it to be there the next time.

ETA: I rarely garden in these games, but if Sims can get millions from one plant, that hardly represents the reason to garden and the enjoyment of nature and basically defeats the rags to riches farmer story. (Seems plant money turns poor Sims into millionaires over night).
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    julienrob2004julienrob2004 Posts: 4,173 Member
    edited June 2018
    I would because they have also dumbed down the gardening skill as well , it wasnt hard to get perfect plants and max the skill before as it was . So much of this game seems to be aimed at being simple for casual players , as if they think people are playing on their mobiles
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    For major changes? Yes, please.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    thatsnotswegthatsnotsweg Posts: 697 Member
    I don't like a lot of Simmers ideas of what should be done with the game, so I'm going with no. They should definitely take people's opinions into account but doing so based just off of polls would be a bad idea.
    gallery ID: thatsnotsweg

vYCrjvm.png
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I don't like a lot of Simmers ideas of what should be done with the game, so I'm going with no. They should definitely take people's opinions into account but doing so based just off of polls would be a bad idea.

precisely
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    edited June 2018

But ideas are different than something already happening in game, then next time you load game that one thing has been tweaked to no longer happen. Wouldn't you appreciate a poll to ask you if you liked that one thing or not before they stop it or cut it out? It's already there, so I think customers and fans should have a voice to say remove it or not.

Example: Say Sims autonomously go skating, but months later they no longer do, wouldn't you want a heads up if they were going to change this to player controlled only?
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited June 2018
    Nope. It would make updates take forever and 5 days to come out if they had to slow down the process to stop and ask us about every little thing. It already takes long enough for stuff to come out because of their own internal beauracracy and approval through management, without us random nobodies and non-devs playing managers too.

A lot of the changes come from our feedback already anyways. The drinking change? Feedback that it happened too much.

Baiting comments removed. - EA_Cian

I would say the opposite. I rather have them focus on fleshing out the content, which quality usually relies on player feedback than releasing them sooner. Time wouldn't be an issue If the game had replay value to keep us entertained/occupied and thus developed our patience for waiting things. Quality first, deathlines later!

Nobody likes waiting, but that lack of wait tolerantly usually is the result of the quality they put out in their content. Bad quality (or no replay value) equals lack of patience.
    Post edited by EA_Cian on
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    edited June 2018
    Wait? So sims are incapable of having more than one drink?

I would like to see more emphasis on polls and written feedback, so developers can see what we want.
    I've never liked auto or mandatory updates (in general) because bad content gets thrown in your face.

Although, I am pretty satisfied with the recent update.
  • Options
    ReksohReksoh Posts: 303 Member
    edited June 2018
    No, I wouldn't have wanted that annoying bug to not get fixed just because someone out there wanted to play a drunk, for example. Theres so many things that need to be done during a party, I dont see why they should just want to sit at the bar the whole time. (and if i want them to, I can just make them do that)
  • Options
    Reksoh wrote: »
    No, I wouldn't have wanted that annoying bug to not get fixed just because someone out there wanted to play a drunk, for example. Theres so many things that need to be done during a party, I dont see why they should just want to sit at the bar the whole time. (and if i want them to, I can just make them do that)

As I said I never play 'goals'. I'm a sandbox player and reaching goals in The Sims has never been my cup of tea. I rarely played parties to reach a goal. In that save, the Clues have a lot of dinner parties for 'fun' no goals. And Mr. Green always made a lot of drinks. lol My gameplay reflects what happens on the journey not the end game of reaching a goal.
  • Options
    Wait? So sims are incapable of having more than one drink?

I would like to see more emphasis on polls and written feedback, so developers can see what we want.
    I've never liked auto or mandatory updates (in general) because bad content gets thrown in your face.

Although, I am pretty satisfied with the recent update.

Yes, they won't go back to get a second during a party.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Cinebar wrote: »

But ideas are different than something already happening in game, then next time you load game that one thing has been tweaked to no longer happen. Wouldn't you appreciate a poll to ask you if you liked that one thing or not before they stop it or cut it out? It's already there, so I think customers and fans should have a voice to say remove it or not.

Example: Say Sims autonomously go skating, but months later they no longer do, wouldn't you want a heads up if they were going to change this to player controlled only?
    Yes, exactly. I actually really don’t like their new style of ‘asking’ fans what they would want to see next in the game, what pack, what feature. Make up your own mind team, surprise us, give us something we never even knew we wanted. But already existing gameplay that works for some and maybe not for others? That’s an entirely different matter.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    thatsnotswegthatsnotsweg Posts: 697 Member
    edited June 2018

TBH, not really. I've never been too bothered when they've tweaked things like that before. Unless they make a game changing/breaking modification, I usually end up quickly forgetting how things were prior to any changes anyways.
    gallery ID: thatsnotsweg

vYCrjvm.png
  • Options
    edited June 2018

TBH, not really. I've never been too bothered when they've tweaked things like that before. Unless they make a game changing/breaking modification, I usually end up quickly forgetting how things were prior to any changes anyways.

One thing they changed back in TS2 was the barista. It really disappointed me. So many complained about Sims lining up to get a cup of coffee, they removed townies from being attracted to the object/NPC. TS2 was built on an attraction system to objects or interactions. So, for years you build a coffee shop and no one uses it but your Sim, that sort of ruined my gameplay for that, too. I enjoyed Sims sitting around talking and having coffee, but you had to give the barista bar enough room so Sims were not stuck trying to buy a cup of coffee. This 'tweak' unintionally ruined buying a cup of coffee for another Sim, too. (Bug) which never got fixed. They don't wait for their cup, too, anymore. And townies rarely buy coffee anymore if ever.

In that case I think a poll would have been nice. (ETA: And for the alien pregnacy like in TS4).
  • Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    I'd be against polls about tweaking. As someone pointed out, it would just add more time to the length it would take to get bug fixes and updates. If people are really upset about a tweak, they'll complain -- as they did with the nerfed alien abductions -- and that will get fixed. If enough people are upset because Sims can have only one drink at a party, then the tweak will be untweaked.
  • Options
    ReksohReksoh Posts: 303 Member
    Reksoh wrote: »

As I said I never play 'goals'. I'm a sandbox player and reaching goals in The Sims has never been my cup of tea. I rarely played parties to reach a goal. In that save, the Clues have a lot of dinner parties for 'fun' no goals. And Mr. Green always made a lot of drinks. lol My gameplay reflects what happens on the journey not the end game of reaching a goal.

i never said you didnt have your own reasons for liking it. Im just saying maybe not everyone has the same opinions. Its not something i have seen anyone complain about except you so it leads me to think that a poll for it wouldnt have done it any good anyway.

I didnt like the change to make earbuds give fun (to me it makes them feel cheaty), but I know a lot of people wanted that so I just shrugged and got over it.