Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's something that, if not in Seasons, would disappoint you?

amandaneunamandaneun Posts: 107 Member
Assuming we get Seasons at all, of course, and I'm sure we will as it's SEASONS.

I'm sure no one has suuuuuuuper high expectations, but what would you possibly be disappointed by?
For example, would you be upset if there were no festivals like in TS3? Would you be upset by not being able to choose season length?
Would you be upset by too few new traits or CAS items? Would you be upset by a lack of holidays such as Spooky Day?

What would disappoint you if not found in the initial EP?

EDIT: This is not a thread meant to encourage complaints, or assumptions about how EA will screw up.
I'm just curious to know what people really want to see so badly, that they'll be disappointed by its lack of appearance.

For me, personally, I would say festivals and new deaths/illnesses. Perhaps some we've never seen before.
Death by allergies? I don't know if that was ever a thing.

Maybe something like a "seasonal sadness" or a "seasonal discomfort" :blush:
“... and when all the wars are over, a butterfly will still be beautiful.”
― Ruskin Bond, Scenes from a Writer's Life

large.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited April 2018
    Definitely season length and timing being under player control, meaning I would like to decide when it's spring and for how long. Personally I would like my IG seasons to mirror the RL seasons. I would like to play summer in game during the course of RL summer and then transition to fall and so on. While others may want winter at that time to play Christmas in July. I think it would be nice if possible to have that flexibility.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited April 2018
    amandaneun wrote: »
    Assuming we get Seasons at all, of course, and I'm sure we will as it's SEASONS.

I'm sure no one has suuuuuuuper high expectations, but what would you possibly be disappointed by?
    For example, would you be upset if there were no festivals like in TS3? Would you be upset by not being able to choose season length?
    Would you be upset by too few new traits or CAS items? Would you be upset by a lack of holidays such as Spooky Day?

What would disappoint you if not found in the initial EP?

EDIT: This is not a thread meant to encourage complaints, or assumptions about how EA will screw up.
    I'm just curious to know what people really want to see so badly, that they'll be disappointed by its lack of appearance.

For me, personally, I would say festivals and new deaths/illnesses. Perhaps some we've never seen before.
    Death by allergies? I don't know if that was ever a thing.

Maybe something like a "seasonal sadness" or a "seasonal discomfort" :blush:

If there is no festivals, holidays and skating rinks.
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    edited April 2018
    If there's no weather and no way to manually change weather (even if through cheats is fine). My expectations are REALLY low as you can tell. Being able to custom set season length per world save would be nice as well.

To be honest though I fall more into the "I want WEATHER" crowd than necessarily "I want SEASONS" crowd. I'm hoping with the next game at very least basic weather changes (snow and rain) would be in the base game, and a seasons EP would expand upon that.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I'd be disappointed if different worlds didn't have different experiences of seasons and weather.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    simlottesimlotte Posts: 56 Member
    I'd be disappointed if seasons or weather didn't affect plants. I love gardening in my game (hate it IRL), so I would love to have it be a little more realistic. With plants being dormant in winter if they are not planted in a greenhouse. Would be even more realistic, because once you get perfect plants all year round, you can get ridiculously rich in no time. So I would be hiiighly disappointed if they just ignored gardening in a seasons pack.

But all the thinks mentioned above e.g. festivals, reactions to the weather, ability to control the seasons/weather for a world...
  • Options
    12JEREMIA12JEREMIA Posts: 3,143 Member
    If there’s no reggae and beach radio stations, I will be upset as heck!
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2018
    Where as Sims 4 not being able to have toggles - plus the issues where worlds we already have can't be changed with gameplay features without breaking saves - then I ask myself how would they incorporate Seasons anyway with us being unable to control weather and with out it breaking all our saves if we wanted to in any way change weather in various worlds ? Add to that the fact early on a dev/engineer said they would not make self contained worlds with just a single season like they made in Sims 1. Weighing all this info together and trying to deduct what is left - I see my most hated probability is game controlled weather via fx overlays with programming for the feel of the weather in sims to react a certain way when each season is looped into - like acting cold when winter is activate, hot when summer is, etc, etc - but even though things may look fantastic for a few days if the weather is nothing but over lays like modders already can make - I have to wonder about interactions with the sims - as Sims characters do not interact to fx -.It would be just like sims never see the fx cars, boats, the trolley, trains, airplanes, fx animals or insects - it is why they don't get excited to see the Showboat or kids get happy to see butterflies or trains or the chipmunk running around in the forest of OR - It is in reality like humans looking at a green screen when a movie is being made about monsters attacking.

How can anyone say weather makes the game more realistic? When it is just more fx fakeness. I don't see the festivals like we had in Sims 3 - but if we get them at all it will be a limited quick event like in CL, and if you blink you'll miss it.

I don't know - maybe we might have been better off wanting Sims 1 kind of seasonal additions to the game instead of expecting Sims 4 to deliver Sims 2 or 3 weather when it's smart technology engine seems to put such limits on events of any kind - never mind the fact we cannot do a single thing to make festivals different - it's always the same thing over and over - where we as players have zero control and creativity.

For the first time ever - as much as many of you seem to have to have Sims 4 Seasons - I already feel down about being pretty sure that is what is coming as the next ep and already so aware of what that means - It will be all great and new for a few days - and then it will quickly become one of those things that begin to feel more annoying and repetitive that we can't control or change one iota.

I really wish people might have wanted something else with more play value and where we at least have some control - as I am not at all a fan of visual effects outside of movies - because a game should be us doing thing, interacting and controlling the game when it is a sandbox game like the sims - not a projected movie of events where we - the players are stuck just watching the game play out itself. Might as well go watch a movie.

Needless to say - Seasons in Sims 4 is not something I look forward to - I really wanted a pack I could actually play the game in - not watch it like CL is. I fear that is what we will get.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    simlottesimlotte Posts: 56 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Where as Sims 4 not being able to have toggles - plus the issues where worlds we already have can't be changed with gameplay features without breaking saves - then I ask myself how would they incorporate Seasons anyway with us being unable to control weather and with out it breaking all our saves if we wanted to in any way change weather in various worlds ? Add to that the fact early on a dev/engineer said they would not make self contained worlds with just a single season like they made in Sims 1. Weighing all this info together and trying to deduct what is left - I see my most hated probability is game controlled weather via fx overlays with programming for the feel of the weather in sims to react a certain way when each season is looped into - like acting cold when winter is activate, hot when summer is, etc, etc - but even though things may look fantastic for a few days if the weather is nothing but over lays like modders already can make - I have to wonder about interactions with the sims - as Sims characters do not interact to fx -.It would be just like sims never see the fx cars, boats, the trolley, trains, airplanes, fx animals or insects - it is why they don't get excited to see the Showboat or kids get happy to see butterflies or trains or the chipmunk running around in the forest of OR - It is in reality like humans looking at a green screen when a movie is being made about monsters attacking.

How can anyone say weather makes the game more realistic? When it is just more fx fakeness. I don't see the festivals like we had in Sims 3 - but if we get them at all it will be a limited quick event like in CL, and if you blink you'll miss it.

I don't know - maybe we might have been better off wanting Sims 1 kind of seasonal additions to the game instead of expecting Sims 4 to deliver Sims 2 or 3 weather when it's smart technology engine seems to put such limits on events of any kind - never mind the fact we cannot do a single thing to make festivals different - it's always the same thing over and over - where we as players have zero control and creativity.

For the first time ever - as much as many of you seem to have to have Sims 4 Seasons - I already feel down about being pretty sure that is what is coming as the next ep and already so aware of what that means - It will be all great and new for a few days - and then it will quickly become one of those things that begin to feel more annoying and repetitive that we can't control or change one iota.

I really wish people might have wanted something else with more play value and where we at least have some control - as I am not at all a fan of visual effects outside of movies - because a game should be us doing thing, interacting and controlling the game when it is a sandbox game like the sims - not a projected movie of events where we - the players are stuck just watching the game play out itself. Might as well go watch a movie.

Needless to say - Seasons in Sims 4 is not something I look forward to - I really wanted a pack I could actually play the game in - not watch it like CL is. I fear that is what we will get.

I agree with everything you say! I just still have some hope left. Maybe it will be all we hoped for.
    Or maybe it's going to be just as it has been with CaD. Everything is a little stale, shallow. So seasons is going to be as well. But if we had wished for something else, we would have run into the same problem.
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    I don't get my expectations up to super high levels. I want them to make what they want to make. Then in livestreams and reviews I'll see if I want it or not.

Too often I see people get all upset or disappointed if their imaginary packs didn't become reality. I'd rather just take reality for what it is and go from there. :)

All I want is for the weather in seasons to be adjustable. Anything beyond that is a bonus.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    No festivals or holidays. If the weather isn't as realistic as sims 3. If there are a lot less things to do based on weather.
  • Options
    ItsJanierItsJanier Posts: 884 Member
    I'm kinda scared that the CAS will be weak/limited. CAS is always my favourite part of a new pack.

But I'm hopeful that we will get MORE new things(CAS, B&B options, Gameplay options etc) if Seasons comes without a new world.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    simlotte wrote: »

I agree with everything you say! I just still have some hope left. Maybe it will be all we hoped for.
    Or maybe it's going to be just as it has been with CaD. Everything is a little stale, shallow. So seasons is going to be as well. But if we had wished for something else, we would have run into the same problem.

No I disagree that wishing for something else would have been the same thing - as Seasons is visual and in Sims 4 visuals are not inter-active because of all the FX filler and activity pretty limited outside of lots. We see how fairs are... we see the only activites there is most interactions is inside of building - outside it is sims flirting, talking and eating, talking and drinking, talking and dancing. You stop the talking and you get bowling. When Sims are not talking they are working by themselves and then at least you feel like something is going on - like hands on careers, gardening, etc - truth fully the only way to see sims look like they are having fun and doing activities to gether is club program them, and it forces the issue to do things with other sims - there is nothing realistic about it. Might as well program robots and why I don't use the club system. Sims have no ambition.

Like in past games sims would suddenly start playing chase, have pillow fights, water fight, start swimming, kids play tag and mary mack and all sorts of things together in past games with out clubs or me having to make them. They saw snow, got excited, kids thought bubbles showed thoughts of a snow day, and they'd run outside without prompting from me and built a snow man or had snow ball fights etc -. Sims 4 is so forced and with every thing so fx - there is nothing at all about fx to attract a sim to do an activity. Sims can not be programmed to react to fx - there in lies the problem. I mean sims rarely chose to fish, see butterflies and chase them, smell flowers or pick them like in sims 2 just because the wanted to. With Seasons I fear they will have zero initiative.

University would have least been more interactive - because they have to have usable stuff - but with everything about seasons so fx I fear it will be so visual we will bore of that pack even quicker than most especially when everything that is so active is tied to lots. The fact JA was so open is what made it so much better - but that was a gp - and eps do not seem to have that advantage at all. The gps and even toddlers are so interactive and way more like former sims games then the eps have proven to be. The eps have too much fx - which totally leaves interactions with sims empty and void. Seasons is definitely going to be the worse seeing it has always been a visual pack - but in Sims 4 I see all the visuals effects making our game feel even emptier. Almost any kind of pack but Seasons I think would have made a better choice for an ep in Sims 4. (This is coming from someone that agrees Seasons has always previously been one of my fav packs in former Sims games - but in Sims 4 I am not feeling Seasons at all). Honestly - I really hope they prove me wrong.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    ModseyModsey Posts: 1,468 Member
    I would be sad if we lost holidays. I want special holidays for each season. It would be cool if there was more than one per season. Easter and Valentine's day on separate days I mean. Like I could set it to have certain holidays on certain days if I please. Or thanksgiving and Halloween not being lumped together like in Sims 3. That's wishful thinking. I just want holidays is what I'm trying to say, and no holidays would be disappointing.

I want new party activities similar to Sims 3, those were good additions to Sims 3.

I would be mega disappointed if there was no gift-giving in Sims. I want my sims to give gifts to their loved ones all year round (similar to sims 3) and I want sims to be able to give their romantic partners flowers too.

I'm uncertain how I would feel about festivals. I like the idea, but I want them to be at least somewhat unique to City Living's festivals.

I'd be disappointed if you couldn't make season settings specific to individual worlds. I don't really want to see snow in oasis springs, though my sister saw snow in Arizona a few years ago, it doesn't feel right for a desert world. I'd like it if worlds could have individualized weather if I pleased, as well as season length specifics. I normally like seasons changing every week, but I know others would play that differently.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I don't get my expectations up to super high levels. I want them to make what they want to make. Then in livestreams and reviews I'll see if I want it or not.

Too often I see people get all upset or disappointed if their imaginary packs didn't become reality. I'd rather just take reality for what it is and go from there. :)

All I want is for the weather in seasons to be adjustable. Anything beyond that is a bonus.

But that is not going to happen if they cannot make sims 4 have toggles or apply changes to worlds we already have without breaking saves - that means it will have to be pre-programmed on a weather loop kind of thing not to break our saves - and that would include all the seasons if we cannot turn individual seasons off or on with a toggle or limit or lengthen days of each with same.

The devs have stated this before - even recently that only they can tune activities on their end - and we saw how well that went when they tuned down on alien abductions - they stopped period - so they turn them back on finally. They had to not tune down the vamps as some players wanted because those of us who bought the pack for the full vamp experience went bonkers after what they did to aliens - so they announced they will not touch the vamps and gave us back the alien abduction.

Smart technology engine design itself takes control from the player and apparently the devs as well once the game is completed - and it is not forgiving when anyone attempts to mess with it's final finished product. On this system - control is not ours that is pretty clear. At least not thus far anyway. (Oddly from what I have read about that technology - the engine is working very much as designed to do - unfortunately for us it should have been the online engine, not single player engine that sims players need to play without all those limits and AI control. If anything it is very anti-sandbox).

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member

But that is not going to happen if they cannot make sims 4 have toggles or apply changes to worlds we already have without breaking saves - that means it will have to be pre-programmed on a weather loop kind of thing not to break our saves - and that would include all the seasons if we cannot turn individual seasons off or on with a toggle or limit or lengthen days of each with same.

The devs have stated this before - even recently that only they can tune activities on their end - and we saw how well that went when they tuned down on alien abductions - they stopped period - so they turn them back on finally. They had to not tune down the vamps as some players wanted because those of us who bought the pack for the full vamp experience went bonkers after what they did to aliens - so they announced they will not touch the vamps and gave us back the alien abduction.

Smart technology engine design itself takes control from the player and apparently the devs as well once the game is completed - and it is not forgiving when anyone attempts to mess with it's final finished product. On this system - control is not ours that is pretty clear. At least not thus far anyway.

That may or may not be true, we won't know until it comes out. We can turn autonomy on and off for various Sims. We can turn aging on and off. We can add lot traits on and off at a whim. Wouldn't surprise me if we could turn the weather on and off or adjust it in some way, as it tends to just be special effects anyway. Quite frankly, they should have options for weather anyways because it's such a performance hog. It should have a bit more priority than alien abductions in that respect.

But we'll see.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Smart technology engine design itself takes control from the player and apparently the devs as well once the game is completed - and it is not forgiving when anyone attempts to mess with it's final finished product. On this system - control is not ours that is pretty clear. At least not thus far anyway.

That may or may not be true, we won't know until it comes out. We can turn autonomy on and off for various Sims. We can turn aging on and off. We can add lot traits on and off at a whim. Wouldn't surprise me if we could turn the weather on and off or adjust it in some way, as it tends to just be special effects anyway. Quite frankly, they should have options for weather anyways because it's such a performance hog. It should have a bit more priority than alien abductions in that respect.

But we'll see.

Base game controls were built into the design - the difficulty only comes when they try to add new base game controls once the base game was completed or try to tune what was originally programmed into the base game. You cannot go by anything that was in the game since the bg.

But we can all have wishful thinking - and hope for a miracle I suppose. It is just I fear what I know - but then I don't know everything. So you are right all we can do is wait and see -

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    soapsimsoapsim Posts: 18 Member
    I'd be disappointed if clothes hanging out to dry on the clothesline still dry even if it's raining.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I expect basic weather especially rain, clouds and storms, and varieties of temperatures in a seasonal pattern.
    After that I just want to see how it's implemented.. I'm good with a variety of ways.
    My fantasy in this game is that the weather would make sense in each area... Like snow could cloak Windenburg... but not Oasis Springs.. or at the most you'd see flurries.. but the snow would melt rather than stick and stay if it ever happened. I don't have big hopes that that will happen though because it seems to me anyway that would be very tough to pull off. I would be really impressed though.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    I would be disappointed if we aren’t able to adjust or customize seasons in each world. Hopefully, whatever design choice they make, we’ll see something that works well for the game and brings more character to the sims 4.
  • Options
    SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member
    I'd be disappointed if there aren't enough CAS options for coats and hats. I don't want all my sims to look the same when they go outside in the winter. I'd also be very disappointed if they don't take that occasion to add plenty of new outdoors activities and sports (new pool stuff, playing in the snow, playing in the leaves, cross-country skiing, skating, baseball, soccer, stuff like that. I want a good variety of them for all seasons, but I'm not picky about which ones they include.)
  • Options
    honeywitchhoneywitch Posts: 321 Member
    @Pamtastic72 and @KatyJay88 I completely agree. Season length and timing being under player control and sims reacting to/interacting with the changing seasons are both very important to me. And good point @simlotte I'd love it if gardening was realistically affected by the weather and it would be hella annoying if it wasn't.
  • Options
    rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    edited April 2018
    I would really be disappointed by the weather not being so ''realistic''.

One thing about The Sims 3 Seasons I loved, was the gradual subtile changing weather. For example when it was heavy raining, it also slowly stopped raining instead of just BAM! No rain anymore.

The subtile gradual changes were my favorite about that pack. Also trees slowly losing their leaves in Fall, slowly regaining their leaves in Spring.

And I hope they will manage to modify the backdrops in a way so that they slowly/gradually change with the Weather/Seasons.

Personally I never really liked the whole hot and cold meters. I don't know, it was always a limiting factor for me to take my Sims outside for too long, because of the risk being frozen to death or having a heat stroke.

I also do not really care about festivals. I'd rather have them spending more time at seasonal activities instead.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    I would really be disappointed by the weather not being so ''realistic''.

One thing about The Sims 3 Seasons I loved, was the gradual subtile changing weather. For example when it was heavy raining, it also slowly stopped raining instead of just BAM! No rain anymore.

The subtile gradual changes were my favorite about that pack. Also trees slowly losing their leaves in Fall, slowly regaining their leaves in Spring.

And I hope they will manage to modify the backdrops in a way so that they slowly/gradually change with the Weather/Seasons.

Personally I never really liked the whole hot and cold meters. I don't know, it was always a limiting factor for me to take my Sims outside for too long, because of the risk being frozen to death or having a heat stroke.

I also do not really care about festivals. I'd rather have them spending more time at seasonal activities instead.

Yes, I could care less about holidays, but I did like the hot/cold metres. It made the game a bit more realistic. I don't personally care whether I can set seasons for each world, but I can see how that would be important to those who play rotational play.

I do want the ability to toggle the seasons, however - I might have a snow-bound scenario in mind that requires an endless winter, for example. (It also wouldn't make sense to have snow - except perhaps once in a freak-while - in Oasis Springs. Some deserts do get snow, but the plants that are part of the world are obviously patterned after Arizona, not Utah. So, you almost have to allow for each world to have its own weather.)

I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    I'd be disappointed with no way to set the length of Seasons or to control what type of weather happens in each world.

I'd like to see weather separated from Seasons. For example, in some parts of the world at Christmas time, it's hot, so I'd still like to experience the holidays but be able to set what weather I want to happen during said holidays.

Another thing that I would really like to see is summer holidays for kids or the option to have summer holidays for kids.