Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Could EA have done something other than coming out with My First Pet?

MLadyAzzeraMLadyAzzera Posts: 1,174 Member
Since EA's sales team doesn't seem to know what it's doing, I've decided for the sake of my love of marketing to conduct a poll. Early results are in, and the community is not happy with the teaser trailer that dropped today. My First Pet Stuff Pack seems to be a bundle of bad decisions, and is clearly making the consumer feel cheated by having an Expansion Pack have a Stuff Pack. Many Simmers feel that this shouldn't have been a Stuff Pack at all. So I was wondering, could EA have released this content somehow else so that the community wouldn't have felt ripped off? Could they have had more support (and possibly profit) if they had approached it differently?

Could EA have done something other than coming out with My First Pet? 235 votes

Nothing. I'm excited for My First Pet Stuff Pack the way it is.
4%
MaryVannFeet46TimelordSnowyHalloMolliNeiaFreezerBunnyCowplantBriana2425filipomelCazualKarmaKrista_18 10 votes
This content should have been in the Cats & Dogs expansion pack to begin with for no additional charge. (If so, how/budget/why?)
45%
CK213GRIMMYBluefairy286verlainemLukeSimsontheropealan650111aprilroseOmri147MadameLeeLomelindi7Kelleygirlkeekee53ZenobiaPompontypicalgeminiDallas1526ANNETTE1951dreamerz13Jnyxlink4566 106 votes
I like the idea of Expansion Pack Stuff Packs
5%
BlkBarbiegaldanacnbrettrobyngravesg01denswanChanticoelelunicyjude72plamusteniTheGoodOldGamertinacolada00AlvekirumaguTS1299Pandolphpanda1 14 votes
They should have hamsters in a separate stuff or game pack, preferably with other caged pets (such as birds, lizards, rabbits, etc.)
29%
auroraael14icmnfrshNh6650rudy8292WrenryVkittyKartaiCherryrose_xMawMawNeverSeemsToEndRepoLizzychicagotwilight_aerithRamblineRose06Bon06pixiejuiceDreamie209GrandRailTerrabixters 70 votes
I would have rather paid $5 more for Cats & Dogs than see an EP Stuff Pack
4%
MLadyAzzeraAesir26SnuffyBucketalanmichael1doogerieTaraIris94RexySimmerGamingTweetymunroeleGelysenTheSimsFamily 11 votes
I would have rather paid $10 more for Cats & Dogs than see an EP Stuff Pack
1%
Agustín CornejoStephy1231Louise_G0325 3 votes
They should have two versions of Cats & Dogs, the basic EP, and then the deluxe version for $10 more that includes the My First Pet content.
2%
Colorist40Winifred_Willowprincess_kaguyaberke1294Reallysoawkward23BuzzBuzzitslouis 7 votes
Other (If so, why?)
5%
LeGardePourprealexspoom13SimburianBagoas77orkhid22fullspiralChadSims2happygurlBooDaBoo5ManakoHimeChazzzylazyjuniper2tcnsoftrosa37 14 votes

Comments

• Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited March 2018
    Other (If so, why?)
    Well based on what Graham stated on Twitter, it all came down to Cats & Dogs having 3 elements. There was the Vet career, the items now being called My First Pet Stuff, and the remainder items included in the released Cats & Dogs EP. The choice was to either give us a complete Cats & Dogs EP which would have included everything in this new stuff pack and everything in Cats & Dogs minus the Vet career. Or give us what we got in Cats & Dogs including the Vet career minus items from this stuff pack. They made their decision.

Personally I wouldn’t have mind if they made the Vet career a separate pack. That would have been interesting. Maybe they did some kind of research and felt people wouldn’t buy a pack just to become a Vet and decided it was a better idea to just include that in Cats & Dogs which meant they removed some items from that pack, leading us to this separate wave of cats and dogs stuff.

The decision to chop up the cats and dogs items in between 2 packs instead of putting them all into one put a bad taste in my mouth.
  • Options
    MLadyAzzeraMLadyAzzera Posts: 1,174 Member
    I would have rather paid $5 more for Cats & Dogs than see an EP Stuff Pack
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Well based on what Graham stated on Twitter, it all came down to Cats & Dogs having 3 elements. There was the Vet career, the items now being called My First Pet Stuff, and the remainder items included in the released Cats & Dogs EP. The choice was to either give us a complete Cats & Dogs EP which would have included everything in this new stuff pack and everything in Cats & Dogs minus the Vet career. Or give us what we got in Cats & Dogs including the Vet career minus items from this stuff pack. They made their decision.

Personally I wouldn’t have mind if they made the Vet career a separate pack. That would have been interesting. Maybe they did some kind of research and felt people wouldn’t buy a pack just to become a Vet and decided it was a better idea to just include that in Cats & Dogs which meant they removed some items from that pack, leading us to this separate wave of cats and dogs stuff.

The decision to chop up the cats and dogs items in between 2 packs instead of putting them all into one put a bad taste in my mouth.

Couldn't they have just raised the price $10 and put everything together(but not make it a habit)? Announce hamster last minute, so people felt like it had more content so it was worth the extra $10.
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    They should have hamsters in a separate stuff or game pack, preferably with other caged pets (such as birds, lizards, rabbits, etc.)
    Anything among "included in C&D", "grouped together with other small pets", or "charged $5-10 extra for C&D" would be acceptable to me.

Right now it feels like the rodents were just tacked on to make it seem like it's not just an SP for C&D
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    LudditeBorgLudditeBorg Posts: 45 Member
    If it was necessary to make a separate stuff pack, it should at least be worthwhile with more animals. And why would they just have to be small animals? How about all of the small animals mentioned above, as well as horses? I can't imagine a lot of people are going to buy this with such limited content, unless someone is just really into rodents or pet outfits. That seems like quite a limited niche.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited March 2018
    Other (If so, why?)

Couldn't they have just raised the price $10 and put everything together(but not make it a habit)? Announce hamster last minute, so people felt like it had more content so it was worth the extra $10.

Well I bought Cats & Dogs for $20 and that’s what I feel it’s actually worth as is right now. I’ll tell you what I would’ve paid $50 for:

- Playable pets or increasing the household limit to 8 sims + 2 pets
    - Items from My First Pet Stuff already included
    - More small pets, actual separate animals, not just 1 animal cloned 4 times
    - Bonus if they added birds

That would’ve been worth $50 to me.
  • Options
    Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    I hate to repeat myself, but I just wish they stuck with their original plan of a small pets GP that they had in the survey. By doing this only makes it kinda clear that other small animals will be coming....in individual stuff packs, and I just don't find that cool. If they really wanted to add these minor reskinned furniture and pet clothes...why on earth couldn't they have been in an free pack? None of these items besides the hamster is new. Not even the much-requested pet toys, beds, houses, etc. they aren't in this pack from what it seems. So really what is this stuff?

Which is why pack though..i'm really sad about in general. It's one thing to buy a pack for an item...at the very least you get a bunch of extra items, it's another to buy a pack without the ability of being able to use all of the items and still have to pay for said hidden items (aka full price). So for those who don't own C&D, it's literally half a pack, if not 30% (since the furniture will be there but many of their interactions will be pure decorations). That kinda ikrs me especially if that small pet lover genuinely wanted an only a variety of small pets (unique pets not reskinned and said their different) yet was only giving one in stuff pack...
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    edited March 2018
    This content should have been in the Cats & Dogs expansion pack to begin with for no additional charge. (If so, how/budget/why?)

The explanation from Graham doesn't even make any sense... and it certainly doesn't justify the decision they made. By saying that the items in this stuff pack were removed from Cats & Dogs for the sake of adding the vet career, he's literally admitting that the expansion pack was rushed and unfinished. He's also openly admitting to EA's greediness by basically mentioning that they took unused content from an expansion pack to make extra money on a stuff pack instead.

There's literally no logical reason why the content in this stuff pack couldn't be included in Cats & Dogs... unless, of course, the developers are willing to finally admit that they rush the expansion packs... which is something everyone already knew anyway. They shouldn't have been "forced" to make a decision between a vet career and pet content. Again, it could've all been included... they simply didn't wanna do it.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited March 2018

Na plum that. If they managed to include cats, dogs, horses, horse stables, competitions, and a whole new world in TS3, they were able to add the vet career AND this one interactive cage to C&D. I have been very understanding about that EP and I like it a lot but I could somewhat comprehend why others were upset, especially those that liked horses. Now I am just angry and I'm done with their excuses. This is a joke.
  • Options
    Strawburry3Strawburry3 Posts: 329 Member
    I don’t care about small animals, so I wouldn’t have minded if they weren’t included at all, but I feel for the simmers who drew the short straw. I’m more upset that they used a stuff pack that seems to add little to no game play. Critters limited to a cage sounds boring, sorry. I would much rather have a stuff pack dedicated to new traits, aspirations, quirks, weaknesses, likes, dislikes, and fears. I’d throw a handful of money if they made that a full fledged game pack.
    tumblr_mxol5mE3eQ1qdczlgo1_500.gif
    Hey, Nana..
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I wasn't expecting to see any other pets stuff. It is just more proof to me that cats and dogs was lacking. The vet career doesn't even include a plain go to work option. You have to own the animal hospital to even be a vet so to me the career was lacking. I would have rather seen the smaller pets than the career in the expansion.

I got it for the town and waited for a sale. I needed more room. The little creatures should have been patched in. I am sorry but this is highway robbery. Sims 2 had small critters, Sims 3 as well why do we have to pay extra in Sims 4? Sims 3 even made it worthwhile by something innovative with the horses. We did not have to pay for a stuff pack for that. In my personal opinion, the vet career was not worth the options of having more than cats and dogs.
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »

Na plum that. If they managed to include cats, dogs, horses, horse stables, competitions, and a whole new world in TS3, they were able to add the vet career AND this one interactive cage to C&D. I have been very understanding about that EP and I like it a lot but I could somewhat comprehend why others were upset, especially those that liked horses. Now I am just angry and I'm done with their excuses. This is a joke.

Same. The cats and dogs themselves are good, but the fact that they're even trying to sell this makes me feel cheated
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    FabooshFaboosh Posts: 160 Member
    They removed content from the expansion pack and put it in a stuff pack. That tells me all I need to know & that is this should of been patched in for free with an update! Removing content to put in a stuff pack is really a gross abuse to the loyal customers who have bought everything that has been released. They are now taking total and complete advantage of us! They have to know that this is just a gross step to make more money & it is insulting that they would do this to us! It's a slap to the face at how blatantly greedy they are being with this move. Hope that $10 bucks is worth the loyalty & good faith your losing by this so called "stuff pack"
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited March 2018

Not seeing how that would be better - same content, same price, just not broken up into two packs. If it's the same price overall, then breaking it up actually gives people more options. You can choose the Cats and Dogs only, the hamster only, or both.

If they had included it with the C&D, people would have loudly complained about the $50 price point. Or "how come there was just the hamster, where were the other small pets? You're raising the price on us EA and giving us less, look how much Sims 3 had". Others would have complained that all they really cared about was cats and dogs and didn't want to pay $10 for the hamster.

The main issue I see is that prices have gone up, period. Whether it's inflation (my guess), the way the teams are structured and organized, or something else. I'm not going to automatically jump to the conclusion that it's "greed", although it could be. I honestly don't know. They are trying to break the packs up differently to downplay this fact, and there's a big psychological price barrier -- people are only willing to pay $X amount for an EP or $Y amount for a SP. I'm not sure how they could have done it differently outside of giving some of it away for free.
  • Options
    TentacrocaclesTentacrocacles Posts: 449 Member

That makes a little more sense.

Actually with this information in mind, why doesn't EA just give the sims team more time to work on their content so they can release it in it's entirety rather than having to chop bits off to meet deadlines.
    The answer to that probably lays in their sales figures
    A link to my most recent build in the gallery

tumblr_inline_okebxv2e9a1shjovd_1280.png
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    edited March 2018
    This is just flat out ridiculous. Not to mention nothing new as they've tone this before. I mean yea, toddlers themselves was free and all but you have to buy the Parenthood game pack and the Toddler stuff pack, if you really want to play them. I'm just disgusted with the whole concept of requiring a $40.00 expansion pack to play a $10.00 stuff pack. Or you know needing to buy a $20.00 game pack and a $10.00 stuff pack to better play a feature added with a free update. Don't get me wrong, even though I don;t really play with anything younger than a YA and never really have since TS1 but I'll still buy it. After all it will greatly add to my upcoming pet store build I have planned. Plus it will add to my new game file when Shinya starts having babies due to his Hypersexual disorder. I mean after all even though they don't ever live with him, he does take then out do stuff and they sleep on the floor in sleeping bags on the weekends. They really do take full advantage of their cash cow.
    Post edited by PsychoSimXX on

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options

That makes a little more sense.

Actually with this information in mind, why doesn't EA just give the sims team more time to work on their content so they can release it in it's entirety rather than having to chop bits off to meet deadlines.
    The answer to that probably lays in their sales figures

If anything this proves their sales are doing just fine. They wouldn't have the audacity to release this if they were afraid of losing customers. They do it because they know they can get away with it.
  • Options
    alexspoom13alexspoom13 Posts: 7,439 Member
    Other (If so, why?)
    The cat & dog outfits should have stayed in the EP and this should have been a Game Pack with all small pets- as it is we may never get bunnies, birds, lizards etc.
  • Options
    JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Since EA's sales team doesn't seem to know what it's doing, I've decided for the sake of my love of marketing to conduct a poll. Early results are in, and the community is not happy with the teaser trailer that dropped today.

50 votes so far is not "the community".....given the amount of people that play the game, it's a very, very small subset of the community.
  • Options
    JimG72 wrote: »
    Since EA's sales team doesn't seem to know what it's doing, I've decided for the sake of my love of marketing to conduct a poll. Early results are in, and the community is not happy with the teaser trailer that dropped today.

50 votes so far is not "the community".....given the amount of people that play the game, it's a very, very small subset of the community.

And yet I'm sure most people are very unhappy about this. Either because they're asked to pay 10 for stuff they can't use all of or to pay for stuff they should've already had xD
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    I still don't get why suddenly in this iteration, the EPs have to be smaller than in previous Sims games, not to mention making one EP once a year, other than greedy intentions.

There's all this talk about budget, but what takes so much of their budget that they give us such limited content in EPs (GPs I'm fine with)? Is it because the engine is terrible (didn't think it could get worse than TS3's engine) and it takes them a really long time to just make things work? If so, it makes the claim of TS4 being 'a great foundation for things to come' a giant lie.

I really don't see what reason can it be other than greed... Of course I'm not accusing the SimGurus, but their higher ups at EA are to blame.
  • Options
    CupcakePeaceCupcakePeace Posts: 2 New Member
    I feel like the hamster and the other caged animals like it should have been in the cats and dogs EP or be a free update, we have had them with the other pets in the Sims 2 and 3 and in the Sims 1 even in the base game if I remember correctly.
    If they really wanted to make an additional pack to the cats and dogs EP they should have made a pack with more animals like rabbits, birds, snakes maybe? With good animaties and good interactions with the animals(preferably including taking them out off their cage longer than only a cuddle interaction or cage free rabbits like the cats and dogs) Together with the new furniture from this first pet stuff pack that would make a good game pack i would be willing to pay €20 for. I dont think i will get this stuff pack, i dont really like dressing up my pets and the new furniture looks fun, but i can manage with the furniture that i have. The only thing that got me excited were the little rodents, but to pay €10 for a caged rodent with probably interactions like feed, cuddle and clean?

In my opinion the cats and dogs EP is very minimum compared to the previous pet EP from the Sims. Sure there is the vet part that is pretty big, but besides that I think the actual pet part is very minimum. I think €40 could have given us the little rodents for free.
    I rather would have had an more expanded pet ep and a new game pack as an expansion to get to work with the vet and 2 other careers or something.
  • Options
    RnM92RnM92 Posts: 222 Member
    Omri147 wrote: »
    I still don't get why suddenly in this iteration, the EPs have to be smaller than in previous Sims games, not to mention making one EP once a year, other than greedy intentions.

There's all this talk about budget, but what takes so much of their budget that they give us such limited content in EPs (GPs I'm fine with)? Is it because the engine is terrible (didn't think it could get worse than TS3's engine) and it takes them a really long time to just make things work? If so, it makes the claim of TS4 being 'a great foundation for things to come' a giant lie.

I really don't see what reason can it be other than greed... Of course I'm not accusing the SimGurus, but their higher ups at EA are to blame.

Yeah exactly. I think it's both of those. I mean EA's engines are notorious for being terrible and developers of other games have struggled with them to no end, and the games end up being pretty bad (eg ME: Andromeda). The problem is they don't have much choice, they are forced to use them. So yeah I'd agree it is totally a lie, but EA lie pretty much constantly about everything (see Star Wars Battlefront 2 fiasco). And budget wise, it's very clear to me they are spending as little as they can get away with on this game for maximum profit, an example being they're focusing so much on SPs that we hardly ever get EPs, because SPs are far cheaper to make. They are running this franchise into the ground, just like they've done with many other well loved franchises (SimCity, Mass Effect, Battlefront, Titanfall, Command and Conquer, Dead Space etc.), only with this one a lot of people are just accepting it and defending it rather than taking a stand.
  • Options
    ElectraRaiElectraRai Posts: 99 Member
    RnM92 wrote: »

Yeah exactly. I think it's both of those. I mean EA's engines are notorious for being terrible and developers of other games have struggled with them to no end, and the games end up being pretty bad (eg ME: Andromeda). The problem is they don't have much choice, they are forced to use them. So yeah I'd agree it is totally a lie, but EA lie pretty much constantly about everything (see Star Wars Battlefront 2 fiasco). And budget wise, it's very clear to me they are spending as little as they can get away with on this game for maximum profit, an example being they're focusing so much on SPs that we hardly ever get EPs, because SPs are far cheaper to make. They are running this franchise into the ground, just like they've done with many other well loved franchises (SimCity, Mass Effect, Battlefront, Titanfall, Command and Conquer, Dead Space etc.), only with this one a lot of people are just accepting it and defending it rather than taking a stand.

Yup i couldnt agree more! I belive devs are as passonate about sims as we gamers are, but looking at current EA politics is more then obvious whats going on right now.
  • Options
    RepoRepo Posts: 344 Member
    I don't mind so much about small pets being separate from Cats and Dogs, but I would have preferred the stuff pack to have small pets as the focus and to have more of them. I would have liked to have seen terrariums for turtles, snakes, spiders and lizards (and there are some lovely ones in Jungle Adventures we can't play with) as well as stockable bird cages (again with some beautiful examples in JA).

This pack focuses on kids and pets. I like and play with both kids and pets, but we have a lot of stuff for kids and pets. I'm not so thrilled with the reskinned stuff for pets and I loathe the pet costumes. The kids stuff is cute, but we do have a lot of it. I would have preferred that they focused instead on small size in both pets and objects. Object size is a frequent complaint from the comunity(myself included). This would have been a good opportunity to center a pack around small things from pets to home furnishing for small spaces. Instead, we get more content for kids, reskins, more costumes and a single pet type. This one is a miss as far as I am concerned. I think I'll wait for a sale.
  • Options
    Themrsg4422Themrsg4422 Posts: 332 Member
    I don't ever expect anything for free from a company who's goal is to make money and pay their employees. However, I think this pack would have been better received as a game pack with several other small animals.