Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is your favorite creative thing to do in Sims 3?

Comments

• Options
    funkeeferretfunkeeferret Posts: 415 Member
    Write stories.

I like to do lots of different things in my game, but what I love most is writing stories about the families I have created. Each of my families has their own ongoing saga, even if some of the stories are just in my head. It's like one big soap. I'm never short on ideas. Their personalities and antics, along with their looks, make it easy for me and the stories seem to write themselves. :)

In a tie for second place, would be building houses and CAS.

I love building houses from the ground up, but since this is time consuming, I enjoy doing EA house make overs too. I'm always on the look out for EA houses from other towns that I can save to the library and place them in a different town that I'm playing, usually after I work them over. ;) I'm not into building competitions. I do love seeing what others have built, though.

I really enjoy CAS and create most all of the Sims in my towns from "scratch." I do not use CC while making Sims, with the exception of a few hairs. I guess I just prefer using non-CC based Sims (for now, anyway) but am probably going to add more CC hairs, lol. Beautiful hairs and clothes seem to be my weakness especially when they are FREE!
    Sometimes I make over townies if they have escaped my delete button and have managed to sneak into the lives of my main Sims. Townies pretty much annoy me because I like making my own Sims. I used to always delete most of the townies, but I have come to enjoy/tolerate some of them, lol. I'm not into modeling competitions but I like to look at what others have created.
    :)
  • Options
    SultanCanAliSultanCanAli Posts: 113 Member
    edited January 2018
    Makeover towns.
    I really love to Redo towns because when I was little I loved houses and wanted to be architect and that you can turn a city into a town or a town into a city.I just love the debug objects
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    edited January 2018
    Write stories.
    I love to write stories or roleplay.
    http://hauntedmansionsims.weebly.com/
    That's my current story.And I also got a GTA playthrough going on.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Makeover EA sims.
    I love pairing my sims up with EA premades but they always get a makeover first. For the most part, I don't change sliders.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    Other.
    I've been hesitating to comment because I don't really do any of the creative activities listed. I find building a chore whose main purpose is to streamline my sims' functionality, and CAS is only fun when I'm attached to the sims I'm working on, like teens or YAs that I raised myself and whose recent birthdays have made them... less than presentable. Similarly, I only make changes to other lots when I'm about to buy one of the *spare* kids a house so that kid and family can move out, and even then I just take a premade house and add as many fun things to do as will fit on the lot. I guess I could say that I write stories in my head... but they're just for me, and no words ever hit the "paper."

Really, I'm just not the creative type.

But one thing I do enjoy is finding ways to make my sims more efficient or productive. To "hack" the game, in a way, but without doing anything resembling writing or modifying code. For example, I discovered how to use a game of tag to my advantage purely by accident, and now all my sim families have maxed out relationships with each other. Starting a new game with a sim family became much easier (including having a baby right away where I would still get to pick the traits) when I designated the founding couple as "engaged" and had them get married immediately. Discovering little things like these is what makes me happiest, and it's as close to creative as I'm likely to get.
  • Options
    OminousFlareOminousFlare Posts: 2,118 Member
    Write stories.
    To be perfectly honest, unlike a lot of Simmers here, I still don't have a lot of interest or experience doing the normal creative things Simmers usually do, like building lots or even creating a pattern. I saw a lot of creative videos people did with Sims on YouTube videos, and as much as I was impressed by them, it's just something I couldn't see myself doing, not only because I'm not interested, but because I'm not very creative in the first place.

On the other hand, I do love to tell stories, so I did try my hand in writing some SimLit a while back. Didn't stick, but it's the most creative thing I ever did that's close to what you people do around here for fun.

Honestly, I don't really know what to do with myself in a Sim game often. I would install and uninstall these games frequently because I'm just restless in a Sim game, not really sure what to accomplish in a sandbox game like this. My imagination just isn't that flexible. I tried to imagine and pretended my Sims were some sort of characters in a story, but it felt like I'm playing House with myself, which felt kinda ridiculous and silly, not to mention boring, especially when most of the stuff I pretended weren't even visible in the game (it's all in my head). I'm not very good with modding, so I didn't really dress up my Sims with custom costume-mods or something, so it's all very plain.

Anyway, the point is, I needed an audience, hence why writing a story was the best way I knew how to have fun with a game, because I could at least do something that connects with other people. I'm not good with designing buildings, so I can't do that and contribute to the community. Making up stories is what I am better at.
  • Options
    Jaline33Jaline33 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Build lots, landscape them and decorate them and/or enter building contests.
    A close second choice is to re-do NPC's and/or create new outfits using existing ones by changing patterns or colours and/or make a skirt and blouse look like a dress and so forth.
  • Options
    stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    I’ve tried CAW and just can’t seem to figure it out, lol. But all of the other options are fun for me. I’ve enjoyed using CAP and dabbling in making CC (wall art), writing out my stories instead of only playing them in my head, and I like making my own Sims in CAS.

But for an absolute favorite, I have to go with building. Making over towns is a very close second and goes together with building for me. I’ve altered some EA worlds, but I like building in lite versions of smaller CC worlds the most. When I need a break from a building project... I just build something else in another world or build for simmer family members. I like building and setting up my Sims worlds almost as much as live mode play.
  • Options
    OGPoohOGPooh Posts: 276 Member
    This is really difficult. I love building/decorating lots and creating Sims. Sometimes I'll spend hours upon hours doing just one or the other, never entering live mode. I'm leaning toward making over towns because that involves both building lots and creating Sims + the actual town makeover, which would be third on my list.
  • Options
    FireDash15FireDash15 Posts: 4 New Member
    I only recently realized that there is a blueprints button and I’m kinda obsessed. I really like the country layouts but I definitely swap out some of the furniture. I spent 2 hours last night just building my house to meet my family’s needs!
  • Options
    emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,121 Member
    Write stories.
    Writing stories has got to be #1 for me. :star: I have a couple of good ones on my blog in my siggy below. :blush:;)

Second I like to makeover Community Lots and Premade Sim homes, as well as making over the premade Sims themselves! :mrgreen:
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    edited January 2018
    Create sims and/or enter modeling competitions.
    i prefer mostly to create sims

when i make a new sim i always come up with a story for that sim, i don't write it down, i don't write a story, the story has to unravel within the gameplay itself
    that's why personalities of sims, their traits, a good AI are so important for me, if those fail, if those are shallow or mixed up & exchangeable then my whole creativity ends up in CAS alone & that's not what i intend
    if i wanted to created sims in CAS only then i would use other tools, programms & not a sims game, there are better ways to create great looking, detailed beings than any sims game delivered so far
    meshes alone are not enough for me, the psychology & sociology of sims' life has to be included in a sims game, if that falls short then there is no point for me to create sims, no point to build houses, no point to design the city, no point to proceed with the generations
    it doesn't need to be very detailed since i play rotationally but it has to be recognizable, that's why i like neurotic sims in TS3, their sorrows show clearly, their wishes, their daily schedule, their hole life circles around their sorrows with the things in their life

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    Katie_LouKatie_Lou Posts: 29 Member
    Write stories.
    I had to choose this one because even if there's nothing being physically written, there isn't a moment of playing Sims where I'm not writing stories about them in my head as I play. I think this is true for a lot of us!
    "Language is wine upon the lips." —Virginia Woolf
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Building :) although recently I have combined that with using CAW. No competitions though because my work isn't good enough. I do enjoy seeing what other people have created though and who hasn't made over a townie or two ??
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Building, decorating and creating sims
  • Options
    queenproteaqueenprotea Posts: 14 New Member
    Write stories.
    I'm a huge livemoder (is that a term? it is now I guess), and I have no sense of aesthetics beyond "this isn't glaringly offensive to my eyes" so most of my builds (and probably most of my sims) look pretty bad. So instead, I write stories.
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    This was a hard choice because I genuinely love telling stories. But I'd have to say decorating is my biggest passion. That's part of why I love TS3's CASt so much. I love creating characters and then imagining their perfect living space down to the tiniest detail. For me, the environment is a huge part of the story.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    TinySpaceFoxTinySpaceFox Posts: 1,110 Member
    edited February 2018
    Create sims and/or enter modeling competitions.
    As someone who enjoys photography irl, I also like to bring that hobby into my game. Sometimes, when my Sims are sleeping or otherwise preoccupied, I'll wander off, find a nice spot for some in-game photography, and just snap away. TS3 has a lot to offer in the way of breathtaking scenery :)
  • Options
    SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    Recolouring objets
    Writing
    Makovered Sunset Valley I did already twice
    Creating sims I got a hundred sims in my town for my own and makeover them in need.
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • Options
    KitCattDGKitCattDG Posts: 26 Member
    Build landscape and just messing around with it is fun. I just built a nice landscape, sadly my niece decided to turn off my computer as it would be a funny prank, its lost now -_-.
  • Options
    TempurranceTempurrance Posts: 44 Member
    Makeover EA sims.
    Makeovers are necessary. Absolutely necessary. Especially when every sim ages up in pigtails and one of the al-simhara outfits.
    Still can't find Waldo...
  • Options
    jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    Write stories.
    Write stories. I don't even play anymore, just set up pics to illustrate what I'm writing! :D
    NymlADp.jpg
  • Options
    SimmortalitySimmortality Posts: 39 Member
    Write stories.
    I don't really write stories, but my favourite thing to do is think about stories to play with my sims. Though I never write them down ;) I just love having a "plan" for them. Today, for example, I'm gonna make a Sim that wants to be a five star cook and have her own restaurant, so she will have to earn enough money to buy a lot for that. Oh, this is gonna be fun.
    Or once I made a small family - father, mother, toddler daughter. Then the dad became addicted to these little jellybean things until he ate one too much and died, and the mother (who was a inventor) had to deal with everything alone, bring home enough money from her inventions to build a good life for herself and her little daughter.
    It's stories like this that keep me playing.
    Visit Sonrisa on YouTube!
    Don't miss out on new Tutorials, Let's Plays and more!
  • Options
    AdelineRobbinsAdelineRobbins Posts: 140 Member
    Write stories.
    Writing stories is the most important part of a lot of what I do. Even if I don't get around to getting much onto paper because my muse is kinda finicky, I'm always thinking about them. I get ideas as I play. I'll see interactions between the characters as I watch them. It's all for my enjoyment. I do keep them where others can read them, but I assume no one pays attention. 'Specially since, like I said, finicky muse. I need to either be neutral or in a good mood to write, and even than it's hard to focus. I haven't written anything for Sims for about a year. Got stuck in how to precede in them. I thought taking pictures as I play and trying to weave a story around said pictures would help me, but it's still a struggle to piece together something from what I've taken.
    Without the stories, they'd just feel like empty husks, not matter how much life the trait system does put into them.

Building lots and remodeling EA Sims are also two on the list I do. I can no longer use premade houses. I love making my own, even if it takes most of a day. I used to add-on to premade houses when I did use them, so I thought I'd just start making my own. I still mess with my own from time to time. I did some work on the Faye lot last night and a bit today, turning the pool into an indoor pool. It's just wonderful to play in something that I made exactly to my style. Gives me a nice set of pride.
    I don't mess with EA Sim makeovers very much. I like using my own premade couple for saves, but I've been saving some whose features I really liked for use to my bin. Like the Isla Paradiso mermaids. I've got the women, now I want to get the men. Pets, now...Each one I adopt, I take into CAS to make exactly how I want. I love breeding them and seeing the genetic outcomes.

What I'd like to learn how to do is make horse markings. The EA ones are so bland.
    "Fool," said my muse to me. "Look in thy heart and write."
    Kq8qeWk.png
    Wordpress
    Origin ID: Hoshicake
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    Makeover towns.
    @cwaddell

good poll it's great to see what other players are doing although I am quite envious of not being able to tick the build section as I am so rubbish at it so to all you players who build lots and upload them for other players to use I thank you because I have no doubt that your lots will probably be in one of my world makeovers somewhere making my worlds look awesome :)