Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is the deal with the "stop stealing" on the gallery?

Comments

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I just hope not the other extreme is done too. Like #stealing or #stolen. Honestly if anything this thread made me check on my own uploads again.

All I can say word of advice for anyone who is worried about their work being reuploaded these are the hashtags Simmers look for the most: #NoMOO, #Playtested, #NoCC. So I haven't bothered to use them. I'm not going to stop using Gallery because of a few trolls, just like I won't stop using forums. I guess in all cases, don't let trolls win because they want to irritate you to make you stop doing something. The case I was describing in which there was a reupload was the original creator was being abused like in this thread being called things like "entitled" and other more colorful language so it was very reportable.

Also if anything offends anyone on Gallery, you are free to report it. Just explain the reason why. I am sorry OP that the hashtag offended you.

Also BobSquad is a community built from the idle stream SimGuruSteve that was started with a yule log back in 2016. He encouraged us to share our uploads with one another and common courtesy is shown. He shares the lots and Sims from the idle streams once they end as well. I guess it was a social experiment that was supposed to end after one stream, but it has continued for over a year now and community hit 2,000 followers with the last stream so it is growing. Just not everyone knows about it.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    I just hope not the other extreme is done too. Like #stealing or #stolen. Honestly if anything this thread made me check on my own uploads again.

All I can say word of advice for anyone who is worried about their work being reuploaded these are the hashtags Simmers look for the most: #NoMOO, #Playtested, #NoCC. So I haven't bothered to use them. I'm not going to stop using Gallery because of a few trolls, just like I won't stop using forums. I guess in all cases, don't let trolls win because they want to irritate you to make you stop doing something. The case I was describing in which there was a reupload was the original creator was being abused like in this thread being called things like "entitled" and other more colorful language so it was very reportable.

Also if anything offends anyone on Gallery, you are free to report it. Just explain the reason why. I am sorry OP that the hashtag offended you.

Also BobSquad is a community built from the idle stream SimGuruSteve that was started with a yule log back in 2016. He encouraged us to share our uploads with one another and common courtesy is shown. He shares the lots and Sims from the idle streams once they end as well. I guess it was a social experiment that was supposed to end after one stream, but it has continued for over a year now and community hit 2,000 followers with the last stream so it is growing. Just not everyone knows about it.

Actually I do not look for those hashtags, I look for an item I think I can use and most likely only go in about 4 pages (I do not think too many more go beyond a few pages) and all I see are the different creations on those pages with the offensive hashtag or some with 7 or 8 hashtags that is to me cheating the like #dont upload, stop stealing, dont change, dont twin, dont add to family dont download all on one creation, basically we cant do anything with that creation in our game without the creator getting upset with us. I think that particular creator is just creating for herself and not to share, she/he has several. When I mentioned in his or her comments that I could not use her creation as she stated I cant do anything with it, the comment was you can comment on it and favor it. So there is more to it than just creating it is also for popularity and getting recognition from EA Hey that's ok but tell me that in your description. Had that been in the description that all you wanted was for the creation to be favorited I would have gone and favored it. I have no problem doing that.

I think that some of the "entitled" comments came because accusations were being made by both sides. Neither side is not at fault here. Accusations have been flying back and forth. Is it right? NO. but sometimes if you get it you have to give it back.

Now on a different note I am going to leave this here"

https://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/fair-use/what-is-fair-use/

What Is Fair Use?
    In its most general sense, a fair use is any copying of copyrighted material done for a limited and “transformative” purpose, such as to comment upon, criticize, or parody a copyrighted work. Such uses can be done without permission from the copyright owner. In other words, fair use is a defense against a claim of copyright infringement. If your use qualifies as a fair use, then it would not be considered an infringement.

So what is a “transformative” use? If this definition seems ambiguous or vague, be aware that millions of dollars in legal fees have been spent attempting to define what qualifies as a fair use. There are no hard-and-fast rules, only general guidelines and varied court decisions, because the judges and lawmakers who created the fair use exception did not want to limit its definition. Like free speech, they wanted it to have an expansive meaning that could be open to interpretation.

Most fair use analysis falls into two categories: (1) commentary and criticism, or (2) parody.

• Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    My own personal opinion, no, people should never take credit and remove the original creators name. But at the same time, I don't think it's stealing if I state I didn't build the shell of the house and the original persons name is right there for the purpose of saving it in the cloud. It feels like some think the gallery is their own personal showcase, and they have the right to tell others what they can and can't do. Then if you don't agree they say you stole it. The gallery isn't supposed to be about anyone's personal glory even to the point of cheating, someone stated, to get ahead. I think credit is a bit too important to some people. To get that upset over make believe houses is ridiculous. You're getting upset over something that doesn't exist except in our minds.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    catitude5 wrote: »
    My own personal opinion, no, people should never take credit and remove the original creators name. But at the same time, I don't think it's stealing if I state I didn't build the shell of the house and the original persons name is right there for the purpose of saving it in the cloud. It feels like some think the gallery is their own personal showcase, and they have the right to tell others what they can and can't do. Then if you don't agree they say you stole it. The gallery isn't supposed to be about anyone's personal glory even to the point of cheating, someone stated, to get ahead. I think credit is a bit too important to some people. To get that upset over make believe houses is ridiculous. You're getting upset over something that doesn't exist except in our minds.

Agree - seeing it has no value outside of this game - on top of it.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    @catitude5 - you can't remove the original creators name from a build or a created sim.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    @catitude5 - you can't remove the original creators name from a build or a created sim.

That used to happen, but I'm pretty sure they fixed it now.
  • Options
    Honey_Pie_360Honey_Pie_360 Posts: 240 Member
    jimmysnan wrote: »
    PinkPaws66 wrote: »
    To me, the hashtag is talking to people who change the creator's name. If you don't do that, it doesn't apply to you.

Many stores have signs saying "shoplifters will be prosecuted." These signs are not calling ME a shoplifter, just people that are actually thieves.

It says "Shoplifters will be prosecuted" Not Stop Shoplifting. To me there is a difference. One is saying if you do this, this will happen in no way is it telling me to stop shoplifting, the other is saying you need to stop stealing my work which accuses me of doing that. Basically the hashtag stop stealing is telling me to move along you thief we dont want you here.

@jimmysnan exactly

The sign is not saying "shoppers steal and be prosecuted" obviously that statement refers to shoplifters but as an individual who nonetheless have zero intent to shoplift, I would cringe and just move on to the next store.

It's not really about what you say..it's your choice of words and how you put it

I still can't believe that people don't understand that it's the word #stealing# that is the problem here..it's plain blank offensive..if the gallery hashtag could change to #stop duplicating or #stop uncredited 're-uploads or really anything else that isn't offensive the motion would still be potrayed and their movements would be widely supported.

No one here is saying or has said or agreed or even defending uncredited 're-uploads as being appropriate. Literally No ONE...so really what's the sweat

But seeing that this discussion is now a roller coaster ride in repeated circles.. there's no point
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,872 Member
    Just how prevalent is the use of the hashtags steal or stealing? I just did a search on the gallery and only came up with a couple pages of examples. Not saying those offended have no right to be, sometimes one is enough, but I didn't find very many. Is it limited to a few creators?
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »

I tested it the other night. You cannot remove or change the original creators name.
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member

Someone said you could.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member

It depends on how you reupload. I can download multiple single Sims and rename the "family" and it will not have the original by tag. I can upload a build, change it in some way while saving to my library under a different name, and then open a new game. Pl ace it on a lot in my new game and then save it, many times the original by tag no longer appears then too.
  • Options

Thats what I thought but people on here are insisting that it still happens and that they are victims of it.
  • Options
    PinkPaws66 wrote: »
    To me, the hashtag is talking to people who change the creator's name. If you don't do that, it doesn't apply to you.

Many stores have signs saying "shoplifters will be prosecuted." These signs are not calling ME a shoplifter, just people that are actually thieves.

It says "Shoplifters will be prosecuted" Not Stop Shoplifting. To me there is a difference. One is saying if you do this, this will happen in no way is it telling me to stop shoplifting, the other is saying you need to stop stealing my work which accuses me of doing that. Basically the hashtag stop stealing is telling me to move along you thief we dont want you here.

@jimmysnan exactly

The sign is not saying "shoppers steal and be prosecuted" obviously that statement refers to shoplifters but as an individual who nonetheless have zero intent to shoplift, I would cringe and just move on to the next store.

It's not really about what you say..it's your choice of words and how you put it

I still can't believe that people don't understand that it's the word #stealing# that is the problem here..it's plain blank offensive..if the gallery hashtag could change to #stop duplicating or #stop uncredited 're-uploads or really anything else that isn't offensive the motion would still be potrayed and their movements would be widely supported.

No one here is saying or has said or agreed or even defending uncredited 're-uploads as being appropriate. Literally No ONE...so really what's the sweat

But seeing that this discussion is now a roller coaster ride in repeated circles.. there's no point

I agree 100% It was never my intent to not give credit to the ones who created the object. If they just remove that hashtag from the multiple others that they have on there then I would have no issue. The offending hashtag now just hurts them as I pass them by.
  • Options
    Just how prevalent is the use of the hashtags steal or stealing? I just did a search on the gallery and only came up with a couple pages of examples. Not saying those offended have no right to be, sometimes one is enough, but I didn't find very many. Is it limited to a few creators?

It is in a lot of the creations that I seen. I cant call out people on the forum pages If you go on the gallery and put in that hashtag (I think one of the reasons they do it) There are at least 65 on the first 2 pages and it goes on.
  • Options
    Mstybl95 wrote: »

I tested it the other night. You cannot remove or change the original creators name.

Someone on here was defending the offending tag and saying that others were using work arounds to change the creations name. I have never seen it able to be done.
  • Options
    catitude5 wrote: »

Someone said you could.

Yes, they did they were defending the right to use the hashtag with someone changing the name of the creator with a workaround. I would say we most likely cant do it because we do not think that way.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

It depends on how you reupload. I can download multiple single Sims and rename the "family" and it will not have the original by tag. I can upload a build, change it in some way while saving to my library under a different name, and then open a new game. Pl ace it on a lot in my new game and then save it, many times the original by tag no longer appears then too.

There is also I learned from this thread a thing called twinning I guess you make a twin of the sim and then you put it on as a twin with the other post. But that is the same as what you are saying about families, so again using it as a hashtag to get their creations seen. That one though did not seem as offensive.
    LOL now we have given away the workarounds, I learned these ways from this thread.
  • Options
    I love it I just saw on the gallery a room with this inscription "Stolen by and then the creator LOL>
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited January 2018

I just realized that a family I reuploaded lost the original creator's name and I'm not even sure how I did it. I downloaded a husband & wife, took them to CAS and used genetics to create their children. The tag was gone after saving them to the gallery.

So, two of the sims are by the original creator, two by me. Who gets credit?
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »

I just realized that a family I reuploaded lost the original creator's name and I'm not even sure how I did it. I downloaded a husband & wife, took them to CAS and used genetics to create their children. The tag was gone after saving them to the gallery.

Technically EA Maxis team for making the game and making it possible for your family to exist. Last I knew when we installed the game we had to agree it belonged to EA and we had to agree we were just paying for the right to use the game in what ever formula EA included. Part of playing the game includes using the gallery if we so desire to share lots or sims we make in the game in any manner set within the guidelines of the game and gallery use.

So you used the game as intended and that was the way the game marked it - so be it, it is yours ( and EA's too of course). Apparently EA made it that way. It's their game - they can make it how ever they like. Enjoy your family and enjoy your game.

Believe me if EA or their moderators feel you are doing something wrong - even when you did not think you were - they will let you know. Remember we only have to answer to EA and their moderators - not any other player anyway.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    EirayaEiraya Posts: 21 Member
    I find it interesting that everyone here defends the idea of people stealing each others' work by saying that technically it's the property/creation of EA/Maxis, not us. You wouldn't say that about an artwork created in Photoshop. Yes, EA/Maxis provides the tools and the platform on which we can build and share our creations, but you came up with the idea, and you should get recognition for that.

Obviously, the devs don't like the idea of people taking credit for others' work either, because if you reupload a house that you downloaded off the gallery, it should show the original creator's name. Sometimes that doesn't always work, though. I once downloaded a house off the gallery then bulldozed it, then proceeded to build a really large house on the same lot that took me days to complete. And once I uploaded it, it had a disclaimer saying that it was an original upload by another creator. Naturally, I got pretty annoyed that the credit was being taken away from me, especially because it was a lot of time and effort dropped into making that house.

It's very annoying and very petty for someone to take your work, reupload it, and get all the recognition for it, although they didn't put any effort into making it themselves.

So I completely understand why the community would work to let everyone know that's something that's looked down on, even if it's not going against any official rules. Honestly, if someone reuploaded one of my builds chances are I wouldn't even know. The gallery tends to bug out for me a lot (most recently I uploaded a house and the gallery tagged it as having CC, even though I don't have any build/buy mode CC), so I mostly just use it just to store my builds online in case all my local files get wiped or lost for some reason.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »

If you create a family in CAS, with the genetics, it then becomes your creation. I do that all the time, as I usually start my legacy files with a family of 5 Sims (2 adults and 3 kids of various ages).
  • Options
    djacquelynstewdjacquelynstew Posts: 641 Member
    Wow! This is still a HOT topic long after the original post. Truly sad seeing as how we are talking about something that should bring us all fun and relaxation, whether through playing, creating/building, or discussing (as in perusing the forums). But No! there is still a ruffling of feathers, and I have not in all my forum years seen any debate this unsettling, even the whole "I want my toddlers" vs "Stop whining about toddlers and go away" debate did not cause this much angst. I am really surprised that the moderators of this forum have not come on here and said okay, "We can't make you get along, but we are making you move along ... This post is closed!"

I am seriously wondering if this issue is really a bigger agenda to create drama and control the forum (I'm just saying) because who the heck is seriously getting this disturbed, out right angry even over something that has no value whatsoever outside of the sims game. AND before you scream, that I am saying your work is not of value, STOP the madness, I am totally saying you are extremely creative and talented. Period! don't add to it. What I am saying is this, it has already been determined that; 1) Credit should be given to the original poster, 2) we have determined that changes should be made if you are going to re-upload it, 3) we have already determined that credit can never be erased from the original creator, there is no way around the built in function, Period! but you who feel it is otherwise stealing, on the other hand, must also understand that when you put anything whatsoever on the forum, then it is absolutely meant for any and every simmer who chooses to upload/download, period! This is not going to change. it is an EA rule or policy, if you will.

What on earth gives you the right as non EA/Maxis to dictate the laws/rules/policy when this has already been established by the true owners. You own the game you paid for. You do not own the forum on which that game functions, or any parts of it, this includes the gallery. It is very unkind to say "stop stealing" when someone simply obeyed the rules of the gallery as they were meant to be. You want your credit you have it. Your name is there for as long as it is on the gallery, you will forever be the original designer, FOREVER. So, to this I would say, if indeed you want no one to use your work as their own, then instead of telling people to save it to a outside disc or whatever, how about you take your creation, save it on your own save file, and perhaps post it on the share your creations, in which you can indeed get your accolades and praises (yes, I will even give them to you myself), but keep it off the public gallery. This way you are guaranteed no one can violate your wished for your creations. because the gallery is not that place. The gallery is for sharing.

It would really be so nice if we all could share some happiness right now, and go download some laundromats, or something, instead of people feeling like, "wow, now I'm really going to be scrutinizing the gallery and looking out for those "stop Stealing" hash taggers" or worse, some of us who are feeling like, "maybe I shouldn't even use the gallery"

People it's a game, I'm just saying

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member

Thats what I thought but people on here are insisting that it still happens and that they are victims of it.
    It was mentioned earlier you can with mods and in some cases just glitches in the Gallery system. Seems like one instance of the bug was mentioned here which luthienrising pointed a fix to: http://forums.thesims.com/en_Us/discussion/870304/how-do-you-get-rid-of-this-original-by-thing-on-lots

I am not sure what mods Simmers are using to remove it via mod and if it is mentioned that is something Gurus should know about because it can easily be a tool to breach the security of the Gallery. I guess biggest question in this thread is what is even relevant to this topic anymore? The hashtag thing is something that occurred 3 years ago as pointed out in this thread. It is sad that three year old grudges still exist in the community and I feel like the Sims 4 community is probably the most disconnected of all the Sims communities.: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/841618/sick-of-this-stealing-nonsense/

There was a topic on Forbes about the effects of social media and I this topic shows that even Gallery can have negative effects towards someone too as shown by the misuse of a hashtag: https://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2017/06/30/a-run-down-of-social-medias-effects-on-our-mental-health

I guess when using Gallery, avoid and report hashtags that cause offense would be the best advice I can give you with all of this. Probably why I tend to I like being a builder. Things like hashtags don't bother me. Must be a social media thing I guess. If I do download, I make sure it is Simmers I've actually interacted with like watching DrGluon do his builds on Twitch and I make sure not to reupload his stuff. I think this is why the mods encourage us not to necro old topics like this since it tends to stir the pot all over again and cause dissension within the community. So now that I know it is a very old topic, I don't find it personally relevant to talk about anymore. Anyway happy Simming and enjoy your weekend.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Wow! This is still a HOT topic long after the original post. Truly sad seeing as how we are talking about something that should bring us all fun and relaxation, whether through playing, creating/building, or discussing (as in perusing the forums). But No! there is still a ruffling of feathers, and I have not in all my forum years seen any debate this unsettling, even the whole "I want my toddlers" vs "Stop whining about toddlers and go away" debate did not cause this much angst. I am really surprised that the moderators of this forum have not come on here and said okay, "We can't make you get along, but we are making you move along ... This post is closed!"

I am seriously wondering if this issue is really a bigger agenda to create drama and control the forum (I'm just saying) because who the heck is seriously getting this disturbed, out right angry even over something that has no value whatsoever outside of the sims game. AND before you scream, that I am saying your work is not of value, STOP the madness, I am totally saying you are extremely creative and talented. Period! don't add to it. What I am saying is this, it has already been determined that; 1) Credit should be given to the original poster, 2) we have determined that changes should be made if you are going to re-upload it, 3) we have already determined that credit can never be erased from the original creator, there is no way around the built in function, Period! but you who feel it is otherwise stealing, on the other hand, must also understand that when you put anything whatsoever on the forum, then it is absolutely meant for any and every simmer who chooses to upload/download, period! This is not going to change. it is an EA rule or policy, if you will.

What on earth gives you the right as non EA/Maxis to dictate the laws/rules/policy when this has already been established by the true owners. You own the game you paid for. You do not own the forum on which that game functions, or any parts of it, this includes the gallery. It is very unkind to say "stop stealing" when someone simply obeyed the rules of the gallery as they were meant to be. You want your credit you have it. Your name is there for as long as it is on the gallery, you will forever be the original designer, FOREVER. So, to this I would say, if indeed you want no one to use your work as their own, then instead of telling people to save it to a outside disc or whatever, how about you take your creation, save it on your own save file, and perhaps post it on the share your creations, in which you can indeed get your accolades and praises (yes, I will even give them to you myself), but keep it off the public gallery. This way you are guaranteed no one can violate your wished for your creations. because the gallery is not that place. The gallery is for sharing.

It would really be so nice if we all could share some happiness right now, and go download some laundromats, or something, instead of people feeling like, "wow, now I'm really going to be scrutinizing the gallery and looking out for those "stop Stealing" hash taggers" or worse, some of us who are feeling like, "maybe I shouldn't even use the gallery"

People it's a game, I'm just saying

You make excellent points here. Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top