Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is the deal with the "stop stealing" on the gallery?

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    It seems that it is "stealing" to people who believe that the number of downloads and favourites are a currency, since that is really the only thing you get out of it. I assume one can spend this currency to buy prestige in the Simming community, but I wouldn't really know anything about that.

The gallery is a competition to many. Or there wouldn't be any stealing would there?
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    collegemommaof3collegemommaof3 Posts: 131 Member
    Heck, I custom make my houses, diners, and other items, upload them and they never get downloaded.
  • Options
    mommy19959699mommy19959699 Posts: 226 Member
    Can't you just save families to your library without clicking to share it to the gallery for the purposes of saving in an event of crashing, etc.? I have a sim that every time I reinstall the game, he has to be downloaded again. Then I change his athletic clothes because he looks like a bro instead of a superhero. So I make a few changes to him then save him to my library for future use, it doesn't show up for others to see I thought?
    Forgive me I don't play the sims 4 much, but you have 2 options when trying to save which is share to gallery or save to library, right? If that's so then I can see why someone who spent hours or has talent and wants to be known for it would get annoyed if you could just avoid reuploading by saving to your library instead. If there is no way to avoid sharing it online, and I say this because I'm not totally sure, then there needs to be a trend started where whenever we save the creation back to our library, we write right off the bat maybe even in caps "credit for original work goes to..." or whatever.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I also do not understand the possessiveness of uploaded sims/builds on the gallery. When I upload it is for myself or my kids (my Origin account is accessed via 4 computers) to share on separate game libraries. I have seen other simmers upload my builds and Sims. It is more of a surprise than anything else, as I do not expect for anyone to like what I create. I write very personalized descriptions with my family's personal faith values on many of the things I upload, so I know those people are seeing that when they download things I made.

If I do download and change things on someone else's build/sim, I write in the description that it is a remodel or in the case of a sim a makeover. I also change the name of the build/SIM which then makes it my own. I am sure some people might still see that as stealing, but that is their own insecurity issue.
  • Options
    NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    It seems that it is "stealing" to people who believe that the number of downloads and favourites are a currency, since that is really the only thing you get out of it. I assume one can spend this currency to buy prestige in the Simming community, but I wouldn't really know anything about that.

The gallery is a competition to many. Or there wouldn't be any stealing would there?

Competition is, in general, a contest or rivalry between two or more entities, organisms, animals, individuals, economic groups or social groups, etc., for territory, a niche, for scarce resources, goods, for mates, for prestige, recognition, for awards, for group or social status, or for leadership and profit. It arises whenever at least two parties strive for a goal which cannot be shared, where one's gain is the other's loss (a zero-sum game).
    Source: wikipedia

Same difference.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • Options
    ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »
    ladybreid wrote: »
    surraaaaaa wrote: »
    I dont really get it either. I mean i can understand why someone would be upset.... But like..... Not for longer than 5 minutes.
    "Awh man! Someone reuploaded my house and only changed the bathroom! What a weirdo." Would be my thought. Then I'd move on because i dont see why it would matter. Its just a game, after all.
    Or, "someone reuploaded my house and didnt change anything!?!?.... What a weirdo"
    It does not effect your life at all, it is just a game.
    There are some really elaborate houses on the gallery! Beautiful ones that I'm sure took a lot of time. But the player is taking their time to build because the enjoy it. They choose to share it on the gallery... For what reason? So others can use it. If someone downloads the house and makes improvements, then reuploads it, why does it matter?
    (I'm ignoring the fact that some people maybe are "stealing" just for likes and clicks, for their own satisfaction. Which is probably a mental illness. And really, just ignore it)
    What it comes down to, though, is the player doesnt own EA or the gallery. Once its there, its there. The gallery is awesome, lets not turn it into something it doesnt have to be (a popularity contest)

What's weird about changing something you've downloaded and uploading it to have a backup? I do it all the time. I can't think of one single thing I've downloaded from the gallery that I didn't change.

As for reuploading something without changing it, take it as a compliment because it could mean the person loved it so much they didn't want to lose it. There's a simmer on here that lost access to gallery items because the original simmer either left the game or deleted them. Reuploading prevents that from happening.

While it is true that it didn't bother me when I had seen my creation reuploaded as someone else's, saying it is a compliment is a bit of a stretch. It doesn't bother me but I'm certainly not flattered by it. it reflects on that person, not me. I just really don't care one way or the other. What someone else chooses to do doesn't affect my game play. I don't play the sims so I can tally likes, faves, downloads or awesomes. Still, to call it a complement is a stretch. It's one thing to not be bothered by it, something entirely different to talk it up as though it were a positive action.

That said however if a person is doing it so they have them for future games, that is what your library is for. Your library is stored on line, just not for public consumption. [/i]

ETA:
    fixed for clarity, I'm not wake yet.

Wrong. Our libraries are not stored online, they are stored in a folder on your computer. It's called the 'Tray' folder. The only way to get a backup online is to reupload. That's how the other simmer I mentioned lost access to gallery stuff they'd downloaded; her tray folder got deleted. She would still have them if she had uploaded them herself.

Obviously, the intentions behind reuploading something will vary and some simmers do it to get Favs/Downloads for something they didn't make. But if someone does upload your creation because they like it so much they don't want to lose it and you can't see that as a compliment, then it definitely reflects on you.

Well I wasn't coming back here because like ?I said I really don't care one way or the other however I got the little notice thingy so here I am.

Perhaps you are right about the storage thing, like I said in my post that you quoted I was not awake yet. I'm still not entirely sure though because when I had to reinstall my game I was able to retrieve my creations so I have no idea. In any case that really is neither here nor there. The gallery is there to share your creations and you have the ability to fave and follow on people that make things you want to be able to track down. In the very least if you are uploading things others make in order to easily find them common sense and courtesy to those it bothers would dictate you put a disclaimer in the description that you are only uploading it so you find it later and others should DL it from the creator. That way if people still DL it from you and the other person gets upset at least you did your part. It is the only way that someone that it matters to can't accuse you of "stealing" credit.

Bottom line, my stuff is on the gallery and people can take it and do what they want with it, claim it as their own if it makes them feel better about themselves go for it, have at it, I'm glad its getting used , whatever. I don't care BUT it does bother others and I don't believe telling them it is a complement will do anything but burn their slippers.

wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Options
    KatiardguezKatiardguez Posts: 640 Member
    I don't consider anything created in this game as stealing because it is owned solely by EA. However I do find it to be disrespectful when a player download & changes few things or not and than re-uploads without crediting or not even mentioning the original creator whom probably spent hours or even days perfecting their creative build. It is my understanding that now the gallery will mention the original creator even though the player that is re-uploading don't do so, but at the beginning of the release of the The Sims 4 game it wasn't the case. If a player didn't mentioned the original creator nobody would have known unless it was pointed out. At the end it is all about respecting one another and not doing to others what you don't want to be done on to you.
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    edited January 2018
    I think some people are over sensitive about this. At least when it comes to CAS. I do understand people getting angry about lots being stolen cause those are actually hard to make, but when it comes to sims it’s annoying.

Edit: I never upload anything to the gallery, because I use a lot of CAS, so if people downloaded them they would get only 50% of the actual lot or sim I made. I do use the gallery a lot for builds and I only decorate them, but I would never share them cause people would probably get angry if I did , even if the inside is completely different.
    Well anyway if I started uploading stuff to the gallery I would even feel good just for the fact someone downloaded it.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    xxnearlyperfectxxxnearlyperfectx Posts: 683 Member
    I put my 100 baby challenge and always share it because I want people to know I am doing the baby challenge and some people do download them. That is all I use the gallery for and oh, a couple of houses. Never Sims.
    4Wv5dIG.jpg
  • Options
    NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    There are two different aspects to this in my view.
    1. Gallery users who re-upload the creations of others: I personally don't do it. I regularly backup my tray folder, so I do not feel like I am in danger of losing anything. Some users do it though to backup files or for easy sharing with other devices and that is a legitimate use of the gallery. Some do it for download numbers, I guess, and that is just sad/silly/childish (take your pick).
    2. #dontsteal: There is no stealing; there is nothing to gain and nothing to lose. No crime has been commited and no actual harm is being done.

An example of actual theft does exist in simming history, when a "gaming" company downloaded a bunch of original cc creations and sold them. This was back in TS days. (It was called That's Life and LGR made an excellent "review" about this "add-on".) This was stealing because it was original content created by modders and the company was making money selling stolen creations. Unlike the intangible gain of enhancing your prestige in the simming community, you can actually spend money. Not only on cars and boats but things that matter: shelter, nutrition, healthcare, safety, education.

The whole #dontsteal movement on the gallery seems a bit trivial to me and I understand why the outrage confuses players like OP. I don't understand it either.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Heck, I custom make my houses, diners, and other items, upload them and they never get downloaded.

You mean, you use custom content in your builds? That could have something to do with it, since CC doesn't appear in the search by default. And if someone did download, the CC items would be missing unless they downloaded them separately. If you don't mean CC, then I feel your pain. :p

A single download is enough, though, to know that someone is enjoying something I built. I couldn't care less what they do with it afterwards.
  • Options
    ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    I have been building and uploading my creations since TS1. When people started re-uploading my creations, with or without changes, I did feel (at first) like I was being ripped off. However, after thoroughly reading the rules, I had to get it through my head that everything done and uploaded to the Gallery belongs exclusively to EA. Once I accepted this fact, I realized that when I upload a creation, I relinquish any control over what happens to it... that is a fact! Only EA can decide what will happen with it. EA is very aware of this and has through the years implemented ways to combat “stealing” to the best of their ability. Even though they have added the name of the original creator before the description, I believe many people over look it when they download because it is not very prominent. But, just like in the real world, people will find ways around established safe guards to put themselves into the spotlight at other people’s expense. If someone is going to upload something created by someone else, with or without changes, they should include something in the description thanking the original creator for the time and work spent on it so as to give credit where credit is due. Then, give a short description as to what changes they made to it before uploading it back to the Gallery. If a person is uploading it for personal safe keeping, why not state that in the description so the original creator understands why they re-uploaded it to the Gallery.

Taking a little time to type something in the description about why you are uploading someone else’s creation would sure help save a lot of people disappointment and headaches. I am not going to hold my breath on this one though, because, unfortunately, we have lazy people who would not take the time to do this. It’s a matter of courtesy and respect.
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited January 2018
    I dont really get it either. I mean i can understand why someone would be upset.... But like..... Not for longer than 5 minutes.
    "Awh man! Someone reuploaded my house and only changed the bathroom! What a weirdo." Would be my thought. Then I'd move on because i dont see why it would matter. Its just a game, after all.
    Or, "someone reuploaded my house and didnt change anything!?!?.... What a weirdo"
    There are some really elaborate houses on the gallery! Beautiful ones that I'm sure took a lot of time. But the player is taking their time to build because the enjoy it. They choose to share it on the gallery... For what reason? So others can use it. If someone downloads the house and makes improvements, then reuploads it, why does it matter?
    (I'm ignoring the fact that some people maybe are "stealing" just for likes and clicks, for their own satisfaction. Which is probably a mental illness. And really, just ignore it)
    What it comes down to, though, is the player doesnt own EA or the gallery. Once its there, its there. The gallery is awesome, lets not turn it into something it doesnt have to be (a popularity contest)

What's weird about changing something you've downloaded and uploading it to have a backup? I do it all the time. I can't think of one single thing I've downloaded from the gallery that I didn't change.

As for reuploading something without changing it, take it as a compliment because it could mean the person loved it so much they didn't want to lose it. There's a simmer on here that lost access to gallery items because the original simmer either left the game or deleted them. Reuploading prevents that from happening.

While it is true that it didn't bother me when I had seen my creation reuploaded as someone else's, saying it is a compliment is a bit of a stretch. It doesn't bother me but I'm certainly not flattered by it. it reflects on that person, not me. I just really don't care one way or the other. What someone else chooses to do doesn't affect my game play. I don't play the sims so I can tally likes, faves, downloads or awesomes. Still, to call it a complement is a stretch. It's one thing to not be bothered by it, something entirely different to talk it up as though it were a positive action.

That said however if a person is doing it so they have them for future games, that is what your library is for. Your library is stored on line, just not for public consumption. [/i]

ETA:

Wrong. Our libraries are not stored online, they are stored in a folder on your computer. It's called the 'Tray' folder. The only way to get a backup online is to reupload. That's how the other simmer I mentioned lost access to gallery stuff they'd downloaded; her tray folder got deleted. She would still have them if she had uploaded them herself.

Obviously, the intentions behind reuploading something will vary and some simmers do it to get Favs/Downloads for something they didn't make. But if someone does upload your creation because they like it so much they don't want to lose it and you can't see that as a compliment, then it definitely reflects on you.

Well I wasn't coming back here because like ?I said I really don't care one way or the other however I got the little notice thingy so here I am.

Perhaps you are right about the storage thing, like I said in my post that you quoted I was not awake yet. I'm still not entirely sure though because when I had to reinstall my game I was able to retrieve my creations so I have no idea. In any case that really is neither here nor there. The gallery is there to share your creations and you have the ability to fave and follow on people that make things you want to be able to track down. In the very least if you are uploading things others make in order to easily find them common sense and courtesy to those it bothers would dictate you put a disclaimer in the description that you are only uploading it so you find it later and others should DL it from the creator. That way if people still DL it from you and the other person gets upset at least you did your part. It is the only way that someone that it matters to can't accuse you of "stealing" credit.

Bottom line, my stuff is on the gallery and people can take it and do what they want with it, claim it as their own if it makes them feel better about themselves go for it, have at it, I'm glad its getting used , whatever. I don't care BUT it does bother others and I don't believe telling them it is a complement will do anything but burn their slippers.

Reinstalling your game should not affect your library, so your creations will remain unless they are deleted. Or if you reinstall on a different computer.

Personally, I always put a disclaimer when uploading but my point is that it shouldn't even be necessary. It clearly states who the original creator is if the issue is about getting credit. But because it is a sensitive issue, I like to make it known why I'm doing it.

As for what I said about it being a compliment, my exact words were 'take it as a compliment because it could mean...' (could, might, possibly, etc.)

Yes, there are legitimate, honest reasons for reuploading something that someone else made. And since you can't always prove that it was done maliciously, take it as a compliment instead of getting all worked up. (Not you, to those that do get upset.)
    Post edited by IceyJ on
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    edited January 2018
    But in fact the original autor is credited, by a field provided by Maxis
    Always you as creator will be credited and even if Simmer1 create a lot and share, Simmer2 download, modify it and upload agan, then Simmer3 tak the work of Simmer2 and also modify and re-upload, who will be un-credited? Simmer2

No matter how many cycles of download-modify-upload in a chain, the 2 credited will be the last modifier and original creator
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,342 Member
    I'm well aware of the "we relinquish ownership of our creations to EA, so re-uploading isn't stealing". However, even though something is allowed by the rules it can still be a very impolite thing to do. In my opinion re-uploading without explaining in the comments field why you did that and what changes to what effect were made to the original is impolite. Even though the original creator is credited per default.
    Thing is we do not know what kind of people we re-upload from. What if they would have needed just that one download today to feel better after a crappy day at work? Only they'll never get it, because someone who's playing the "I've got more downloads than you" game grabbed their build and claims all the attention.
    That's why I don't mind people using technically wrong terms like stealing and theft.
  • Options
    Honey_Pie_360Honey_Pie_360 Posts: 240 Member
    I'm so glad to know there are other simmers who uses the Gallery as a back up...Personally when I make Sims and builds .. I only upload the ones I can't do without in my game and my favs to the Gallery just for back ups and when they get downloaded its just a bonus for me..

This has actually paid off cause there was a time a particular Dlc or patch Came out that caused mad lag and we were advised to clear out our tray folder /library to solve the problem...Since then I got even more serious with making the Gallery my back up save.

Meanwhile I actually kinda understand the no stealing concept..not that I have ever used the hash tag before (lol what do I even have to be stolen ) and most times when I download other people's creation I always end up modifying it to my taste and when I re-upload I just write original design not by me (most times I don't even know the original author's name but thank God for EA's Credit system now) and I state what I modified (i.e interior..redesigning..etc)
  • Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    I love sharing my creations on the gallery and could care less if people try to claim them as their own. You can see the original creator when you click on the creations. I create houses and sims for fun and because I love doing it. I also love sharing with others and have never cared what people do with them. I get that others feel differently but for me, it's no biggie.

Great attitude there is no need to accuse others of stealing your work or demanding you not re upload. I think sharing is wonderful. I love the creations.
  • Options
    I personally don't care what people do with my uploads because I have no intellectual right to those things since they belong to EA however other people feel differently. Either way these threads usually don't end well and my popcorn is burnt so there's that.
    I personally don't care what people do with my uploads because I have no intellectual right to those things since they belong to EA however other people feel differently. Either way these threads usually don't end well and my popcorn is burnt so there's that.

I understand that people have different ideas and its ok to share those but leave out the popcorn we should be able to have an intelligent conversation about some differences withput a lot of drama. I really dont understand the problem and am really trying to.
  • Options
    michelei wrote: »
    It takes me forever to find the perfect builds for my game. I am not a builder. I do not have that gift. I rely on the gallery a lot to make my sims world. I have only recently started to uploaded some of my favorite builds so I do not lose them. I have changed some drastically and some just a little. I am not trying to claim any of them. I am not trying get downloads. I am just trying to save my sims perfect world.

Me too thats why i feel that the dont steal and the demands not to re upload are unnecessary. And borderline on offensive.
  • Options
    I don't care what anyone tells you. Its really selfish and and self-serving to re-upload others work. After all you did not create it, so why try to make it look like you did? Its nothing more than an attempt to gain followers and compliments for other peoples work. It takes hours to create some of the finer, larger houses . So why should someone who did nothing try to take credit?

Seriously, they are already being kind enough to share something they built with their talent, that you most likely couldn't do yourself, so why re-upload against their wishes? Just because the sims is a game doesn't mean you shouldn't consider the time and effort others put forth!

Not at all i put them on there with the original creators name. I have even commented that i did not make them. I could care less about followers and stuff i just want to save the sim or lot so i can keep it for my personal game. I dont even tell people to go look at my gallery.
  • Options

Exactly. Thank you thats why i put them on there. If i have saved them i have saved the best of the best.
  • Options

That said however if a person is doing it so they have them for future games, that is what your library is for. Your library is stored on line, just not for public consumption.

ETA:

My libraey has been deleted on me a number of times. I have had a computer fire list the entire game. Windows 10 has screwed up my download of game my own stupidity has deleted it. If i know it is in my gallery i can retrieve it. I dont care about followers i even say in the comments how i changed the lot. I have seen my own sims on the gallery with someone elses name on them. I made them with the demo. They are even in the same clothing
    I wonder if a person who makes custom content on TSR would care so much if it is on your sim and you are taking crexit for that sim without listing them. So there are sims i have downloaded filled with so much cc skins hair dress eyes lips etc and a name appears on there taking credot from those creators and calling it theirs. I have no cc so when i download those sims i have no choice but to redo them.
  • Options

Nor would i it seems that this to some is more than a game. I have a friend who made me a cute sim which i use in my game as a gift. She also put it on the gallery for others to use also. No problem. I hope she gets lots of followers for it.
  • Options

ETA:

Yes! I feel that i have reuploaded the best of the best i only save what i feel is worth it. I married my sim with another sim i found online i did not put the second sim on the gallery as he was a stealing thing. I went to play my game after a problem and i tried to get that sim again to make them a couple and the sim was either so far down as i only look about 2 pages and list the sim. So from then on i uploaded.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »
    jimmysnan wrote: »
    What the title says. If i make something and put it into my game it is mine. If i make a sim and share it on the gallery it is no longer mine it is called sharing. What i choose to share is the property of EA. Anyone can take it off the gallery change it around or not and reload it to the gallery with the changes they have made. All the same as i shared it. So to call that stealing is not correct. No one has taken anything. The game sometimes deletes your library so you put it on the gallery so you can keep it. I feel that if you choose to share your creations (and thank you for them) you need to realize that you are then giving them to EA and they are fair game for me or anyone else to download. Yeah you worked hard on them i saw them i liked them i downloaded them i am trying now to understand why people feel this is stealing.

I agree with you, but I have seen people upload lots and not change anything they do not credit the original creator, they didn't even redecorate or change wall paper. Their upload gets a zillion more downloads and the original poster has like three downloads. I can see how that would be upsetting to new people and new builders or new people who put a lot of time (hours) into a build.

I understand that also and i have never seen any that dont say the original creator. I dont even know how many downloads my sims have gotten.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top