Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ultimate Collection update

OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
Anybody know what that update is about? I came upon it last night in Origin. Not been there in a while, so it may not be brand new. I play UC right from the desk top, so it was news to me. Don't want to do something that might mess up the game.

Comments

• Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Anybody know what that update is about? I came upon it last night in Origin. Not been there in a while, so it may not be brand new. I play UC right from the desk top, so it was news to me. Don't want to do something that might mess up the game.

It removes securom from brand new downloads. (If you already have it downloaded, and you do, there is nothing for you). Oh yes and then they snuck in tying the game to Origin, so it launches every time you launch the game, like 3 (on newer disks or downloaded) and 4. No thank you!!! I will most certainly pass.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @JULES1111 wrote: »

It removes securom from brand new downloads. (If you already have it downloaded, and you do, there is nothing for you). Oh yes and then they snuck in tying the game to Origin, so it launches every time you launch the game, like 3 (on newer disks or downloaded) and 4. No thank you!!! I will most certainly pass.

I don't see what's bad about tying it to Origin? They were able to improve the performance majorly.

Lag from huge lots has been drastically reduced, and Seasons lag is gone. The lag when Witches arrive on lots is nowhere near as bad, and there's no lag switching from Build Mode and Live mode.

My guess tying it with Origin means they are able to make it work better on newer PC's. I just wish they found fix the black boxes.
  • Options
    jackjack_k wrote: »

I don't see what's bad about tying it to Origin? They were able to improve the performance majorly.

Lag from huge lots has been drastically reduced, and Seasons lag is gone. The lag when Witches arrive on lots is nowhere near as bad, and there's no lag switching from Build Mode and Live mode.

My guess tying it with Origin means they are able to make it work better on newer PC's. I just wish they found fix the black boxes.

I don't want to have to be online in order to play. That and Origin is a buggy mess. I have seen many people in different places have issues with it constantly.

The reason the lag is reduced is because they did away with securom. You can do that yourself. I don't have any of the lag you mentioned. UC runs smooth as butter.
  • Options
    Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
    JULES1111 wrote: »
    I don't want to have to be online in order to play. That and Origin is a buggy mess. I have seen many people in different places have issues with it constantly.

I haven't paid attention to this issue for a while but have we confirmed that you must be online to play if you update? There is no option to play offline?
  • Options
    samemiesamemie Posts: 1,623 Member

I think there's an option to turn off Origin automatically opening when you launch the game. I'll admit, it hasn't worked for me for since a couple Origin updates ago but it used to work and hopefully it will again.
  • Options
    james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member

Easy fix for that is just to go on the shadow turn it to medium. The black box will disappear.
  • Options
    Rhiannon58 wrote: »

I haven't paid attention to this issue for a while but have we confirmed that you must be online to play if you update? There is no option to play offline?

You can go into offline mode in Origin to play. But it automatically starts Origin when you launch the game. So if your internet is down for whatever reason, no game for you. You have to be online in order to go offline. :s
  • Options
    samemie wrote: »

I think there's an option to turn off Origin automatically opening when you launch the game. I'll admit, it hasn't worked for me for since a couple Origin updates ago but it used to work and hopefully it will again.

I never heard of such a option. Everyone I know that updated (without knowing what they were getting) had Origin automatically launch. Does not surprise me that it is no longer working.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited December 2017

You can go into offline mode in Origin to play. But it automatically starts Origin when you launch the game. So if your internet is down for whatever reason, no game for you. You have to be online in order to go offline. :s

Really? My internet has been down for a few days and I could play my origin games fine.
  • Options
    lulubadwolflulubadwolf Posts: 630 Member

Really? My internet has been down for a few days and I could play my origin games fine.

In fact, we are supposed to be able to launch Origin Offline. Unfortunately for me, the option do not seems to work every time. Don't know why, but some month ago my internet crash and i was unable to launch origin offline. Lately i was able to launch it. It seems random for me.
  • Options
    samemie wrote: »

I never heard of such a option. Everyone I know that updated (without knowing what they were getting) had Origin automatically launch. Does not surprise me that it is no longer working.

Yup, it's in application settings, an on/off switch for "show Origin after gameplay". Like I said, mine hasn't been working for a long while. However, both times I closed TS4 today Origin didn't pop up so maybe it's working again after the latest update? If it's something that bothers you it's definitely worth changing that setting, especially now if it's actually working again.
  • Options

Really? Wow I heard of people saying they couldn't. I can only go by what I hear, I don't have it installed, I don't use it for anything. None of my games are tied to it.

@samemie Interesting, I never heard of it, but like I said I don't use Origin anyway. Glad it is working for you again.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    I was able to turn off Origin once TS2 UC started playing. It warned me there might be some problems while it was turned off but I didn't have any.
    Also am able to not have origin start up once I replaced the .exe with the one from removing SecuRom. I already removed SecuRom as far as it can since I've had TS2 for ages.
    Not having any problems without Origin starting up. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    I was able to turn off Origin once TS2 UC started playing. It warned me there might be some problems while it was turned off but I didn't have any.
    Also am able to not have origin start up once I replaced the .exe with the one from removing SecuRom. I already removed SecuRom as far as it can since I've had TS2 for ages.

How do you do that? Will the technique work for liberating TS4 from Origin as well?

Not to be obtuse, but why would they link the game to Origin? What purpose is there, any game, not just TS2?
  • Options
    Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member

How do you do that? Will the technique work for liberating TS4 from Origin as well?

Not to be obtuse, but why would they link the game to Origin? What purpose is there, any game, not just TS2?

Tying the ability to play a game to being able to confirm your purchase via having to be online and use an online account every time you launch it is supposedly something that companies think reduces or prevents piracy. (Though... having read across the internet, antipiracy measures that make it harder to play a game seem to fuel piracy instead. :/ )

Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
  • Options

Maybe. If it is linked the same way anyway. Not allowed to discuss that here though. I imagine it would have to be redone with every patch though.

I have no idea. Like @Scribal_Goddess said, they started linking this stuff to prevent piracy. Though it makes ZERO sense for a game they are giving away, and that isn't likely to see another update anytime. I think they only did it so they could add numbers for people who logging in to Origin. There is no reasonable reason.

@Scribal_Goddess Ya no kidding! This kind of stuff just makes people want to do it more often. Ahhh the days you could play a game and not be tied down into some "service" running in the background. I don't know why they don't run it like Steam. Ya you have to be logged in to download, but once the game is on your pc you don't have to log in to play.
  • Options
    We are talking about EA here. Methinks that George Orwell is on their board. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    So before you could download UC then delete Origin, that doesn't work anymore?
  • Options

Really? Wow I heard of people saying they couldn't. I can only go by what I hear, I don't have it installed, I don't use it for anything. None of my games are tied to it.

@samemie Interesting, I never heard of it, but like I said I don't use Origin anyway. Glad it is working for you again.

Oops sorry, I just assumed because of the update, I missed your post before in which you mentioned that. :)
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited December 2017

Not following you lately just answering your question of why is it a bad thing to tie it to Origin. Many have missed all the Origin complaints over in the TS4 bug threads and I have at least three complaints over there about Origin and removed it from my pc when I finally got fed up.

Why is it bad to tie TS2 to Origin. Facts for some of us: If you turn off auto update for Origin or your games that won't matter. If you are online (your pc is connected to the internet and the internet is 'on') and you don't even have to have a browser open by the way, just connected and are playing an Origin linked game Origin's updates (for itself) will not let you load a game until you update Origin. Even with that game's auto update turned off. That's just a fact for many of us.

Sometimes, Origin messes up (often and it updates three times a month) and the only way to solve it is to uninstall and reinstall. If that doesn't work then you have to uninstall Origin the hard way (by cleaning the Registry) and this does not always work, either but may temporarily until the next Origin application update for itself.

Auto Update for Origin off doesn't stick and for thousands of us we got fed up and removed this EA downloader and said to heck with it. No way I'm going to tie TS2 to Origin ever now that they have tied it to Origin. No thanks. I can link you four major bug threads concerning Origin where me and many others had all sorts of problems with Origin not lettting us play our games until it was updated (and failed) just because someone was connected to the internet at the time they load a game even with auto updates off.

Then there are other threads concerning the outdated hog wash Quick Time Web Helper which many may have missed reading about. Which is a headache from the underworld.

ETA: Here is one of mine, just one, there are many other threads created by other people who gave more technical detail about the QTWebHelper and why it's so outdated and a monster.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/924402/origin-rant-fyi/p1
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    So before you could download UC then delete Origin, that doesn't work anymore?

Yup you could just download the game and chuck Origin out. Of course they changed that, so if you got the latest update or just downloaded now, you have to have it. Unless of course you liberated it.... :* There is a way around that. :#
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    Origin IS bad. Bad, horrible invasive rubbish.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    @JULES1111 What is the way around it? I have a new computer and was planning to download UC but not if I have to keep Origin.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Use the .exe from the tutorial on lee-fish which removed securom. It's been working well for me.