Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Theory: Elders Overhaul is next

TLDR: We've got so much stuff for the earlier lifestages within this year and it always basically excluded elders. Therefore, I think elders are going to get more love now that the other things are done.

Within this year, we've had the following changes to lifestages:

Toddlers! They're already amazingly detailed since release. Unique personalities, unique reactions, these are a perfect role model for any lifestage!

Then Parenthood gave children and teenagers their deserved addition. They could still use some more uniqueness, but they got their attention for this year I'd say.

(Young) adults weren't changed or added to, but that's just because they already had the bulk of all lifestage content before 2017.

The last two groups would be babies and elders.

Babies were made as objects and are tied to their crib. No way around this. So I don't think they'll ever get more than maybe a few new interactions in Sims 4 as a whole.

Meaning that elders are left. The final stage of life. One last group of days, filled with pain in the back and trying to get people off your lawn. Not much else to it though. I think that's going to change relatively soon. We haven't heard of anything other than Cats and Dogs for this year, so there has to be some secret project as we would usually have got more information.
That project may very well be an elders pack (or update, or a mix of both). At least that's what I believe considering that all other lifestages (where it's possible) got something new in this year alone. It seems to me as if the developers really want to flesh out the basic game right now, instead of only adding new stuff.

Also, TS4's packs are often inspired by TS3 packs. And the latter had a pack dealing with Generations as its title suggests. We're getting Pets Cats and Dogs soon, therefore it's possible that we've been spoon-fed bits and pieces of Generations along the way too: see toddlers and Parenthood. Sure, it was more difficult as toddlers had to be created before they could be made awesome. But that didn't stop them. No, instead they gave us a pack for children and teenagers quite quickly too.
As I said before, adults are already basically done. Still improvable, but they got so much love during the last few years ever since this game released that I don't think there is going to be a new thing for them yet.
Instead, making something for elders would be the most logical choice if they are indeed going for Sims 4: Generations. And I do think so.

Comments

• Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    elders are pretty bad, but I don't really see a reason to think an elder overhaul is in the works when people are still requesting so many other kinds of content. plus, I don't think content aimed specifically at elders would sell very well at all, nor do I think it would be worth the resources required to put it out for free in the way that toddlers were. I think for that age group it would be best to just add little additions and things for them to do here and there in the packs to come
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    DeliriumDelirium Posts: 85 Member
    I was just thinking the same thing! Elders need more love!
    I know that an elder themed GP wouldn't sell very well but give them something!
    Being old is much more than grey hair and sore back. Elders need to be respected for the life they have lived and the wisdom they gathered along the way.

I remember a thread on this forum where people were discussing what to do with elders, how they keep them "prisoners" so they don't get in the way! How horrible!

Okay... maybe I take this too seriously :D
    But anyways, more content for elders <3
  • Options
    alexspoom13alexspoom13 Posts: 7,439 Member
    I desperately need an Elder pack. The vast majority of hairstyles and clothes in the game are geared towards Young Adult/Young Adult Sims, and I find my Elders always end up with the same hairs and outfits. Not only that, but I want to see things like canes and rocking chairs return to the game, with new activities such as bingo and knitting.
  • Options
    Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    I can't see a specific elders pack... I would probably enjoy it but I can't see it being a top seller. I do think they should be adding elder specific items into packs as we go though. I'm sort of chuckling at potential titles though. "Sims 4: Geriatric Stuff"? "Sims 4: Nursing Home Stuff"?
  • Options
    Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    edited October 2017
    I do also think elders need fleshing out more. I personally dont think they will do it though. At the very least i would like to see a life events expansion pack that adds major life events such as funerals also so elders can make a will and you assign who gets what etc.
  • Options
    tinacolada00tinacolada00 Posts: 409 Member
    I agree that they dont have enough age related clothing and styles. They should have a walk with a cane "walk style" and have the ability to be the "daycare" except for free. Phone interaction under "send kids to grandparent" ... knitting skill.. simple stuff could make a big difference.
  • Options
    sundaysimmersundaysimmer Posts: 201 Member
    While I absolutely agree that elders need much more attention, I'm not sure the developers will focus on them rather than other content that is much more requested. I seriously hope I'm wrong, though; I'd love for this life stage to be more fleshed out and fun to play with!
    Favourite TS1 packs: Superstar, Makin' Magic. Favourite TS2 packs: University, Open for Business, Seasons, Apartment Life. Favourite TS3 packs: Generations, Seasons, University Life. Favourite TS4 packs: Get Together, Cats & Dogs, Seasons, Island Living, Discover University.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited October 2017
    I am amazed at this interest in an elders pack. I've never had a Sim die of old age naturally.
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    I don’t think an elder SP is that attractive
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    to be honest I do not let my sims age not do I let them reach the elder stage and even if they where I would never let them die so I never play elders in my game.
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I don't think we will ever get anything specifically for elders unless a Generations pack comes Graham has outright said they will not make a elder stuff pack its never going to happen. I wish they would make a elder stuff pack or a baby stuff pack and unleash them, they're the red headed step children of the Sims 4 and at this point I don't see the Guru's ever caring to flesh them out for us.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    astera00astera00 Posts: 267 Member
    There are some good ideas here. Yes I would like more things to do with my elders too, because as it stands, it can get a little boring. You have to be so careful with them, a little too much exercise or fun in bed and they die! There should be some elder-specific activities and skills (that only go to level 5, because how much time do they really have to master all the way to level 10?)

Also, interactions that respect and make use of their life experience, maybe something like "pass on wisdom" and that could help with parenting or relationships or something. Maybe even career advice that would help younger sims andvance in their jobs. I don't think there needs to be a stuff pack, maybe just some elder-style clothes and hairstyles added into an upcoming pack and maybe some new interactions patched in.

I'm pretty happy with what we've got life stage-wise, but some of the suggestions here would make this life stage a little more fun to play.
  • Options
    Come to think of it, some of the CAS content for Cats and Dogs looks like it could work well for elder Sims! I keep forgetting that Young Adults, Adults, and Elders essentially have the same options in CAS. Some of the female CAS items showcased in the Cats and Dogs CAS overviews on YouTube didn't appeal to me initially because I was looking at them with YA Sims in mind. But my elders will definitely get a makeover once Cats and Dogs drops!
    Favourite TS1 packs: Superstar, Makin' Magic. Favourite TS2 packs: University, Open for Business, Seasons, Apartment Life. Favourite TS3 packs: Generations, Seasons, University Life. Favourite TS4 packs: Get Together, Cats & Dogs, Seasons, Island Living, Discover University.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    TLDR: We've got so much stuff for the earlier lifestages within this year and it always basically excluded elders. Therefore, I think elders are going to get more love now that the other things are done.

Within this year, we've had the following changes to lifestages:

Toddlers! They're already amazingly detailed since release. Unique personalities, unique reactions, these are a perfect role model for any lifestage!

Then Parenthood gave children and teenagers their deserved addition. They could still use some more uniqueness, but they got their attention for this year I'd say.

(Young) adults weren't changed or added to, but that's just because they already had the bulk of all lifestage content before 2017.

The last two groups would be babies and elders.

Babies were made as objects and are tied to their crib. No way around this. So I don't think they'll ever get more than maybe a few new interactions in Sims 4 as a whole.

Meaning that elders are left. The final stage of life. One last group of days, filled with pain in the back and trying to get people off your lawn. Not much else to it though. I think that's going to change relatively soon. We haven't heard of anything other than Cats and Dogs for this year, so there has to be some secret project as we would usually have got more information.
    That project may very well be an elders pack (or update, or a mix of both). At least that's what I believe considering that all other lifestages (where it's possible) got something new in this year alone. It seems to me as if the developers really want to flesh out the basic game right now, instead of only adding new stuff.

Also, TS4's packs are often inspired by TS3 packs. And the latter had a pack dealing with Generations as its title suggests. We're getting Pets Cats and Dogs soon, therefore it's possible that we've been spoon-fed bits and pieces of Generations along the way too: see toddlers and Parenthood. Sure, it was more difficult as toddlers had to be created before they could be made awesome. But that didn't stop them. No, instead they gave us a pack for children and teenagers quite quickly too.
    As I said before, adults are already basically done. Still improvable, but they got so much love during the last few years ever since this game released that I don't think there is going to be a new thing for them yet.
    Instead, making something for elders would be the most logical choice if they are indeed going for Sims 4: Generations. And I do think so.

I would love to see an elder pack!
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    edited October 2017
    Hear, hear! I really want more content for Elders. I made this thread awhile back about how a good way to distinguish Elder gameplay would be to add Elder-only traits. If they were reward traits the devs wouldn't even have to change the CAS UI to give Elders an extra slot. Bonus points if they used the data the game collects about your Sim's history of emotional states to influence which traits they could purchase once they are over the hill.

@ChadSims2 - Where did Graham say we will never get an Elder-focused stuff pack?
  • Options
    ValxoValxo Posts: 56 Member
    I think a pack based on elders would be great! They need more interactions. I'd also love the addition of funerals.
  • Options
    JeanJean Posts: 1,243 Member
    I don't think an elders pack will come. I do hope some general fixes will be made to elders. Walking canes for example!
  • Options
    > @Terra said:
    > Hear, hear! I really want more content for Elders. I made this thread awhile back about how a good way to distinguish Elder gameplay would be to add Elder-only traits. If they were reward traits the devs wouldn't even have to change the CAS UI to give Elders an extra slot. Bonus points if they used the data the game collects about your Sim's history of emotional states to influence which traits they could purchase once they are over the hill.
    >
    > @ChadSims2 - Where did Graham say we will never get an Elder-focused stuff pack?

That elder trait system based on predominant emotional states sounds amazing! I want that in my game!
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    > @Terra said:
    > Hear, hear! I really want more content for Elders. I made this thread awhile back about how a good way to distinguish Elder gameplay would be to add Elder-only traits. If they were reward traits the devs wouldn't even have to change the CAS UI to give Elders an extra slot. Bonus points if they used the data the game collects about your Sim's history of emotional states to influence which traits they could purchase once they are over the hill.
    >
    > @ChadSims2 - Where did Graham say we will never get an Elder-focused stuff pack?

That elder trait system based on predominant emotional states sounds amazing! I want that in my game!
    Here

Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    > @ChadSims2 said:
    > sundaysimmer wrote: »
    >
    > > @Terra said:
    > > Hear, hear! I really want more content for Elders. I made this thread awhile back about how a good way to distinguish Elder gameplay would be to add Elder-only traits. If they were reward traits the devs wouldn't even have to change the CAS UI to give Elders an extra slot. Bonus points if they used the data the game collects about your Sim's history of emotional states to influence which traits they could purchase once they are over the hill.
    > >
    > > @ChadSims2 - Where did Graham say we will never get an Elder-focused stuff pack?
    >
    > That elder trait system based on predominant emotional states sounds amazing! I want that in my game!
    >
    >
    >
    > Here
    >

Thank you for sharing the tweet! Yes, I realize that an elder stuff pack is very, very unlikely. But I enjoy thinking about interesting ideas for this game, even if they're not going to be implemented. Maybe this thread doesn't belong in speculation any more but should be moved to feedback.
  • Options
    PancakesandwichPancakesandwich Posts: 2,038 Member
    @ChadSims2 Stuff pack likelihood isn't really relevant here. SPs usually only have one totally new gameplay object and a lot of decorational / wearable stuff. While Parenthood was a game pack, so it could have a somewhat broader range of features.

Beesides, Graham only said it's unlikely to actually happen, not that it's never going to do that.
  • Options
    HarlowandMeHarlowandMe Posts: 231 Member
    I really want a nursing home too, I love the bingo Idea.

- wheelchairs
    - crutch's
    - canes
    - Retirement plan where they can move somewhere tropical or the nursing home.
    - Maybe private nurses that live with them at their house's like butler's, so they can take care of them and give them medicine.
    - walk in bathtubs
    - senor discount
    - retirement income/ social security
    - Shuffleboard competition's
    - New aspiration's for being a grandma/grandpa
    - Life alert button/sims style
    - New hobbies (art's and crafts), golfing
    - Will and testament, so you can pass things down
    - Funerals and wakes
    - History museum
  • Options
    Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    > @Terra said:
    >

Here

This has annoyed me, we have 3 stuff packs that focus on gardens\backyards but they cant make an elder stuff pack? Why? Could one of those unnecessary garden packs not have been sacrificed for a much needed elders pack.
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    I'll just post the fragments of this here for discussion/suggestion. This was an idea I had about giving adults a special version of character values that are locked in when they reach the Elder lifestage. I never finished, but here was the rough couple of writeups I'd made. (Probably worth noting, I was envisioning this as a GP... I don't think it'd fit in SP size pack.)

The core of this concept is that it'd not only give you something more distinctive to play with when you reach Elder, it'd give the decisions you make in the adult stages more meaning.

Character Values for Adults

Physical: If this is past a certain threshold when your sim ages up to Elder, they won't have the bent over walkstyle and won't be able to die from death by exhaustion, or get exhausted in the same way that most Elder sims do. On the other end, sims who age up to Elder with this super low will get exhausted more quickly and be more likely to die from death by exhaustion.

Increased by: Doing any kind of activity categorized as a workout. Having a higher fitness skill will add a multiplier, making it increase faster.

Decreased by: Overeating, oversleeping. Weight gain (past a certain threshold).

Mental: Introduces the potential for memory issues. With low Mental Trait, Elders might have moments of Dazed, where they cancel out of a conversation and look around in confusion. Mental skills take longer to build than normal. They might Wander (similar to the toddler interaction). With high Mental Trait, Elders' Mental skills level faster, Parenting will level faster and be more effective, Fun Need will decay more slowly.

Wisdom: Primarily increased by mentoring other sims and by reaching level 10 in a skill. Mentoring becomes stronger.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    edited October 2017
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    > @Terra said:
    >

Here

This has annoyed me, we have 3 stuff packs that focus on gardens\backyards but they cant make an elder stuff pack? Why? Could one of those unnecessary garden packs not have been sacrificed for a much needed elders pack.

I don't find any of those packs "unnecessary". In fact, I use items from them in every single build.
    I just don't think they imagine many people would be interested in a SP dedicated solely to elders. I am pretty sure is the least played life stage, so they might think it won't be profitable enough.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.