Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

It looks..c h o p p y

Comments

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2017
    I like how we're in the development phase, a user has merely raised an issue that bothers them personally, and the majority of the thread are statements of "well I like it."

Guys, this is the development stage. If a user dislikes something, they should absolutely speak up. It does no harm if the shadows improve, even if OP were the only person on planet Earth that disliked them. I don't mean to be rude, but I don't see how these "I don't see the problem" or "well I like it" commentary is contributing to the topic.
    Ummm I am sorry Dekay but I do not have the shadow jump or jaggedness. There is a very minor slight jump at the end of the gif when it rerolls to restart as Triplis mentions - but otherwise it looks like clothes hanging on a line swaying slightly in a light breeze. The shadows are smooth, sharp and clear.

About 3-4 months ago I bought a new computer that - to my knowledge - was the second-best on the market. Found it cheap and grabbed it ASAP. I have maxed settings and a complete gaming setup: 144Hz monitor, top-of-the-line graphics card, and system specs tuned for better performance.

I get the exact same shadow jumping as everyone else here. Either you've got some mod that fixes that issue and you've forgotten it's even installed, you found some PC setting that alleviates the problem, it's a problem with particular graphics cards, or this whole thing is a work of fiction. Thing is though, if the Gurus are posting a video with jumpy shadows, it's probably universal. I'm sure if they could get smooth shadows in a simple manner, they would, because it's a much better presentation from a marketing perspective. A fix is possible, but to my knowledge I don't think there's any particular setting, graphics card, computer or other such hardware tweak that universally negates the issue; you have to personally fumble around with .ini settings (or let a modder do it) to get that result, and even then it has side effects.

There's only so much a good PC can do for you when the limitation (jumpy shadows) is hard-coded into the game itself. Having an excellent PC with an excellent graphics card will not change that; you have to manually find the lines of scripting that affect the shadows and change them appropriately.

YOU are full of hooey!

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    The thing that bothers me is how 2-dimensional the clothing looks. I do hope it looks better in game. I haven't been disappointed, yet, so I shall hold onto my hope. I'm getting this SP regardless. I did vote on stuff a couple of times, after all. :p
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    The thing that bothers me is how 2-dimensional the clothing looks. I do hope it looks better in game. I haven't been disappointed, yet, so I shall hold onto my hope. I'm getting this SP regardless. I did vote on stuff a couple of times, after all. :p

I know what you mean. I voted on all the votes even though I said I wouldn't after laundry won - lol. I do like a lot of the CAS and decor - and to me 10 bucks is not a lot but honestly I don't want the laundry in my game as I quickly disliked it in Sims 3. It was said if one does not put the laundry stuff on their lots they won't generate laundry - that's how Sims 3 works too - so I will probably buy it for the rest of the content.

I am still sad though none of the great eco stuff is in that pack. I am not filled with the hopes it may come in other packs in the future like some people are. I do think I hope it does, but do not have a lot of confidence in that. LOL.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    Ok I see the jumping. Honestly I had to look for it. So this is a problem in game now? Never noticed.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    edited October 2017
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Ummm I am sorry Dekay but I do not have the shadow jump or jaggedness. There is a very minor slight jump at the end of the gif when it rerolls to restart as Triplis mentions - but otherwise it looks like clothes hanging on a line swaying slightly in a light breeze. The shadows are smooth, sharp and clear.

I run my pc with All settings as high as they will go at all times and in Sims that is Ultra. My lighting is always on Very high in Sims 4. I love the new lighting personally. I know what you are talking about seeing I saw videos that people posted on You tube with jagged or blocky shadows and the jumping shadows - none of which I have at all in the game or in this gif.

I do wonder if it could be just laptops getting the issue - as I stated I run a gaming desktop - not a laptop - and possibly why I don't see issues.

Maybe you're just lucky?? I play on laptop but I see the jumping issue even during the official livestreams on Twitch and I'm sure the Gurus don't play it on a laptop.

And I agree with what DeservedCriticism said. It can only be fixed to a certain extent by changing something in the game files which I did before but it affects only the low/medium indoor lighting. I will try to link my post of that here as well if I can find it and if anyone is interested.

EDIT: Just saw that my workaround is also the same as the video link DeservedCriticism posted.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I like how we're in the development phase, a user has merely raised an issue that bothers them personally, and the majority of the thread are statements of "well I like it."

Guys, this is the development stage. If a user dislikes something, they should absolutely speak up. It does no harm if the shadows improve, even if OP were the only person on planet Earth that disliked them. I don't mean to be rude, but I don't see how these "I don't see the problem" or "well I like it" commentary is contributing to the topic.

About 3-4 months ago I bought a new computer that - to my knowledge - was the second-best on the market. Found it cheap and grabbed it ASAP. I have maxed settings and a complete gaming setup: 144Hz monitor, top-of-the-line graphics card, and system specs tuned for better performance.

I get the exact same shadow jumping as everyone else here. Either you've got some mod that fixes that issue and you've forgotten it's even installed, you found some PC setting that alleviates the problem, it's a problem with particular graphics cards, or this whole thing is a work of fiction. Thing is though, if the Gurus are posting a video with jumpy shadows, it's probably universal. I'm sure if they could get smooth shadows in a simple manner, they would, because it's a much better presentation from a marketing perspective. A fix is possible, but to my knowledge I don't think there's any particular setting, graphics card, computer or other such hardware tweak that universally negates the issue; you have to personally fumble around with .ini settings (or let a modder do it) to get that result, and even then it has side effects.

There's only so much a good PC can do for you when the limitation (jumpy shadows) is hard-coded into the game itself. Having an excellent PC with an excellent graphics card will not change that; you have to manually find the lines of scripting that affect the shadows and change them appropriately.

YOU are full of hooey!

Don't say that. Maybe prove that your PC doesn't have the bug then we'll believe you? I'm really curious actually. I don't believe you don't have the issue if you have the lighting setting to very high. But maybe you could have some settings in Nvidia or something that could somehow solve the issue? And I would love to know that too cuz I'm sick of this bug.
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    orkhid22 wrote: »
    Ok I see the jumping. Honestly I had to look for it. So this is a problem in game now? Never noticed.

It's been there a long time. :( The gurus know about it and maybe are trying to fix it. But so far, they haven't mentioned about finding any fixes. :|
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    its just a draft by the time the stuffpack comes out the finish clothes line might be diffrent than the draft

Doubtful, becaus--... *gets a traumatic past flashback of the ball pit*.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    RebbilinaRebbilina Posts: 377 Member
    On the bright side, it's better than the one in ts3, even in this earl stage.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    LesboKnope wrote: »

You think? I think they look about the same with the differences being the sims 3 line drips water but the sims 4 is swaying in the breeze.
  • Options
    RebbilinaRebbilina Posts: 377 Member

You think? I think they look about the same with the differences being the sims 3 line drips water but the sims 4 is swaying in the breeze.

Yes, ts3 pretty much looks like it's a close relative to the infamous ball pit, this is not as bad. Plus, the dripping was over the top, washing machines centrifuges clothes to stop them from being that wet.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    My shadows go from smooth to jagged depending on the angle of the shadows through the day.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

Yes, ts3 pretty much looks like it's a close relative to the infamous ball pit, this is not as bad. Plus, the dripping was over the top, washing machines centrifuges clothes to stop them from being that wet.

Hmm I don't know, I think the sims 3 version has slightly more detail on the clothes. The sims 4 version looks flat. To each their own. I'm not buying laundry anyhow.
  • Options
    BaenreBaenre Posts: 595 Member
    Mchap353 wrote: »
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    I fixed it for ya! <3

memz O V E R L O A D

Laundry// choppywave

ImpeccableEarlyAmericanrobin-size_restricted.gif

That's making me seasick! :#

Yep.....it's not going well. :s

About the shadow though, I see it doing what the tree-shadows do in my game when time passes, they jump to their next position. I don't know if that's what people are talking about... but the shadows in my game have never been smooth in rolling to their position to the time of day, they always jump.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I am not seeing any choppiness or jagged edges - so I suppose it depends on your pc then. The animations are smooth and the pole shadows are nice and straight for me. Well in the one put up by Graham anyway. LOL.

It is like gentle breezes on a cool comfortable summer day.

We are looking at/watching a play back of a GIF/Video so yes the edge (straight down the pole) is jagged and the hitch or hicup is when the shadows themselves move...it has nothing to do with system specs unless someone has an inferior version of Flash to watch playback video and would lower what they see when watching videos or stream video.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited October 2017
    Aren't shadows always like that? Chopping and changing when light or clouds change above. Maybe some simmers always have blue, cloud free skies where they are?
  • Options
    GrijzePilionGrijzePilion Posts: 588 Member
    This entire game is one big visual letdown.
    Look out for BRIDGEPORT'88!
    (oh, and follow me on my Tumblr)
    i5-6600K • 16GB • 2x GTX 1070 • 2x 500GB 850 EVO
  • Options
    FoundMarblesFoundMarbles Posts: 448 Member
    I honestly didn't think it looked that bad. Granted, I'm apprehensive with each stuff pack and release that it'll be what happened to Sims 3 all over again.

What happened to Sims 3? (I'm new around Sims. I have 4 and played 1 many years ago.
    "Practice kindness all day to everybody and you will realize you’re already in heaven now." Jack Kerouac
  • Options
    FoundMarblesFoundMarbles Posts: 448 Member

A lot of things can affect games: builds by different companies, graphics cards, motherboards, ram & capacity etc, etc. etc.... I had a reasonably good PC but decided for games sake to get a powerful gaming computer. It took me over a year to decide the one I would put my money on. Its more than the ram and capacity. They are not all the same!
    "Practice kindness all day to everybody and you will realize you’re already in heaven now." Jack Kerouac
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Not enough to ruffle my feathers but I feel you
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Maybe it's because it's a gif and it's looping?
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    eric6a01eric6a01 Posts: 69 Member
    They even made the animation!
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    No offense but the shadows look amateurish. It is too choppy @SimGuruGraham

Hasn't been polished as of that video and wasn't finished.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    Aren't shadows always like that? Chopping and changing when light or clouds change above. Maybe some simmers always have blue, cloud free skies where they are?
    No, they aren't. Because that would mean the sun turns in little bumps and it doesn't.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    1: In the place where Gifs loop, they can look a little choppy so this isn't necesserily true. Since Laundry Day isn't out yet, the only place this gif could have been gotten from is EA, who have more important things to do than make perfect gifs.

2: Even if it is true you only see it chop if you set there for a good ten seconds zoomed in on your washing line looking for it. I have much better things to do than sit around looking for errors that don't actually affect my game in any way when there are lots of errors that DO affect my game.

If you want choppy, why not sit and complain about the Bird Feeder birds sometime.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.