Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

finally found a monitor that I like but

it has built in speakers. never used one with this feature does or has anyone have or used one? did you like it ?

Comments

• Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited September 2017
    The wide consensus is that a monitor's built-in speakers are notably inferior to any speakers sold separately, They're no reason to NOT buy a monitor, since you can disable the sound (just change the 'default' option), but compared to even middle range external speakers they're pathetic; on a comparison with ear-buds. They're no better than laptop speakers and equally likely to be worse. They're tinny, and the volume range is pretty low. The stereo is poor. And the parts they're made with aren't the best quality either, so they tend to wear out easily, which as often or not will take your monitor with it.

Actually, there IS a good reason to not buy a monitor with speakers; it drives up the price, far disproportionately to the quality. Even the 'best' are still inferior to separate speakers, and if you're so desperate for room, get headphones.

The only reason to consider a monitor with speakers is if you're going to be using it for nothing but chat.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    I have used monitor with speakers. But the sound is awful. I would rather use a headset or computer speakers.
  • Options
    CrazyboutTheSimsCrazyboutTheSims Posts: 2,739 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    The wide consensus is that a monitor's built-in speakers are notably inferior to any speakers sold separately, They're no reason to NOT buy a monitor, since you can disable the sound (just change the 'default' option), but compared to even middle range external speakers they're pathetic. They're no better than laptop speakers and equally likely to be worse. They're tinny, and the volume range is pretty low. The stereo is poor. And the parts they're made with aren't the best quality either, so they tend to wear out easily, which as often or not will take your monitor with it.

Actually, there IS a good reason to not buy a monitor with speakers; it drives up the price, far disproportionately to the quality. Even the 'best' are still inferior to separate speakers, and if you're so desperate for room, get headphones.

The only reason to consider a monitor with speakers is if you're going to be using it for nothing but chat.

that's what I was thinking but good to know you can disable them. thanks for letting me know.
    james64468 wrote: »
    I have used monitor with speakers. But the sound is awful. I would rather use a headset or computer speakers.

Thank you for answering. now to decide if I still want to get the monitor and disable the speakers or keep looking... this is the one I'm looking at and the price seemed good.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236451
  • Options
    Nah, I should look elsewhere. The price can be considered 'good' when compared to other monitors with speakers; you can knock at least fifty bucks off the price by buying without.

Just look up 'PC Monitor' on Amazon and browse a little.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    I would check amazon they have better prices on monitors. If you want to use built in speakers hook your tower up to a TV . That is what I do and that way I have my option of a much larger screen :D
  • Options
    Nah, I should look elsewhere. The price can be considered 'good' when compared to other monitors with speakers; you can knock at least fifty bucks off the price by buying without.

Just look up 'PC Monitor' on Amazon and browse a little.
    I would check amazon they have better prices on monitors. If you want to use built in speakers hook your tower up to a TV . That is what I do and that way I have my option of a much larger screen :D

I thought about it and have decided to look for something else. why pay for something that I don't want or will use. thanks so much.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    If you plug in an external pair of speakers it should automatically use those and if not, its easy to change in settings. Built-in speakers don't sound very good. My Asus - MX25AQ speakers aren't very loud so I plugged in a pair Logictech- z200 speakers. Much better!

As for gaming on a TV, monitors have much better picture and response time which is important for fast-pased games. If you're only playing Sims then a TV would be OK.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    Lol my monitor's speakers must be tge exception then. They are great, really loud and clear and just as good as my old logitech speakers (which are now in the bin) 34" LG ultra wide.
    My old Asus monitor had crap speakers though.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    edited September 2017
    I am so tired of looking at monitors so I just bought this one..I hope its a good one and I like it lol

https://www.amazon.com/HP-25er-25-Backlit-Monitor/dp/B01F6V6QIM
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    grr I should really start reading .. just noticed for an inch smaller I could have gotten a better price almost 30.00 cheaper

I canceled it and ordered the 24 in lol
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited September 2017
    @CrazyboutTheSims What made you decide against curve? I don't really understand the curve appeal but I could be showing my age. :p
    Lol my monitor's speakers must be tge exception then. They are great, really loud and clear and just as good as my old logitech speakers (which are now in the bin) 34" LG ultra wide.
    My old Asus monitor had plum speakers though.
    Which model was your old Asus monitor? Just curious because I thought it was pretty new and maybe even the same model as mine. For some reason, I remember that. If so yeah those speakers could be better considering the price of the monitor.

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    @CrazyboutTheSims What made you decide against curve? I don't really understand the curve appeal but I could be showing my age. :p
    Which model was your old Asus monitor? Just curious because I thought it was pretty new and maybe even the same model as mine. For some reason, I remember that. If so yeah those speakers could be better considering the price of the monitor.

because it has built in speakers and I wasn't really sure if I would like the curved monitor
  • Options
    james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    @chesterbigbird Asus does alright I can hear but it sounds low.. But you could say some of it my ears. I have about 10 percent hearing loss in loudness and 5 percent hearing loss in soft sounds. Kids duck from a baseball if it coming at your ear. That how my ear dram got busted. The monitor that was worst monitor sound was off brand monitor.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

It was old, i cannot even remember which one LOL.. i sold it.
    I was going to get a new Asus 1440p but decided against that and got ultra wide instead even though it's still only 1080p (2560x1080) I do use DSR though I find the wider screen much better then high resolution. I can never go back to non wide now.
    https://www.amazon.com/LG-34UM68-P-34-Inch-21-UltraWide/dp/B01BMES072
    Honestly without doubt the best monitor i have owned, Love having multiple windows on screen. Gaming is brilliant and the Audio is the best i have heard from built in speakers.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options

I was going to get a new Asus 1440p but decided against that and got ultra wide instead even though it's still only 1080p (2560x1080) I do use DSR though I find the wider screen much better then high resolution. I can never go back to non wide now.
    Honestly without doubt the best monitor i have owned, Love having multiple windows on screen. Gaming is brilliant and the Audio is the best i have heard from built in speakers.

that monitor is really nice but I don't have room for one that large. Also I haven't figured out what is the highest resolution my graphics card can handle
  • Options

that monitor is really nice but I don't have room for one that large. Also I haven't figured out what is the highest resolution my graphics card can handle

What card do you have?
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    edited September 2017
    GTX 750 ti

this one https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA85V4SC8538&cm_re=gtx_750_ti-_-14-121-896-_-Product
    I think thats it but mine doesn't say strix seems to be the only difference
  • Options
    GTX 750 ti

this one https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA85V4SC8538&cm_re=gtx_750_ti-_-14-121-896-_-Product

Oh ok the 750ti should only be used with 1920x1080 no higher.
    They still selling that for $255 :o that's way to expensive LOL.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    edited September 2017
    GTX 750 ti

thats what I thought I would like higher but not wanting to upgrade my graphics right now.. that monitor should be fine then. I thought so too, that card is about 2 yrs old I believe
  • Options
    GTX 750 ti

thats what I thought I would like higher but not wanting to upgrade my graphics right now.. that monitor should be fine then. I thought so too, that card is about 2 yrs old I believe

It's actually older i think. :D
    I guess they are hard to find so they increase the price LOL
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Remember that there's a limit to how much your eyes can discern quality. It reaches a point where you can't really tell the difference. Also, size is... well, it's slightly irrellevant, compared to the resolution you get, which is almost always 1080 nowadays. You risk distorting the image if you go too big.

Monitor speakers can't be better than separate speakers; the reason is technicalities. A flat-screen, due to being thin, simply doesn't have the depth for the woofers and sub-woofers needed to make decent sound, nor do the designers focus any great effort on improving them, since if anything they'll be trying to make the screen flatter and bigger. Meanwhile, speakers continue to increase in quality because that's their selling point.

I'm not dissing any choices. But screens that provide anything approaching 'good' sound tend to be both obscenely expensive and difficult to track down (chester's great screen is more than $300!), because you can't get a sample through your PC.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Remember that there's a limit to how much your eyes can discern quality. It reaches a point where you can't really tell the difference. Also, size is... well, it's slightly irrellevant, compared to the resolution you get, which is almost always 1080 nowadays. You risk distorting the image if you go too big.

Monitor speakers can't be better than separate speakers; the reason is technicalities. A flat-screen, due to being thin, simply doesn't have the depth for the woofers and sub-woofers needed to make decent sound, nor do the designers focus any great effort on improving them, since if anything they'll be trying to make the screen flatter and bigger.

I'm not dissing any choices. But screens that provide anything approaching 'good' sound tend to be both obscenely expensive and difficult to track down (chester's great screen is more than $300!), because you can't get a sample through your PC.
    you do know you can get 5K resolution monitors? 5120×2880? so it's not always almost 1080p
    My screen is actually not all that expensive considering allot of gaming monitors are above $1,000.
    of course a monitors speakers are not going to be as good as a good a expensive speaker setup, although mine is better then my $30 logitech speakers. One thing that monitor speakers do offer is the ability to save space if you do not have room for big speakers on your desk or living room (where ever your pc is)
    anyhow, my monitor choice was my own preference. when i listed my monitor i was actually referring to simasaurus as i remember we both discussed monitors previously before i brought mine.
    It all depends on your budget and your system and what the monitor will be used for. In my case it's primarily gaming and multitasking and ultra wide is perfect for both.
    I do not even know why it's being discussed still as the OP has made their purchase.
    i also do know what i am talking about when i talk hardware and monitors, i have been doing this for a while now :|

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    @chesterbigbird I'm not saying your wrong about my graphics card but I just looked up where I bought it and the max resolution says 2560x1600 and I bought it 3 yrs. ago.. Just a little confused as that seems to be the highest resolution for monitors now or from what I have seen.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8899411
  • Options
    Ok now I'm really confused.. I ordered an HDMI cable and out of curiosity hooked it up to my old monitor and it gave me options for higher resolutions the highest being 1080p 1920x1080. That was the only reason for buying a new monitor as this one works fine.. It has really confused me . lol
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    It can go higher then 1080p however will it play games higher then 1080p.. absolutely not.
    The higher the resolution the better the card you need, anymore then 1080p on your card and you will have absolutely terrible gaming, the performance would be something you wouldn't want LOL. The new monitors being realesed now can go up to a mind blowing
    5120×2880, but there is not one single card on the market that can play games properly at that resolution.
    2560x1600 is not a standard resolution and i believe is 30 inch.
    1080p is high definition higher then that is classified as ultra high definition. To play games higher then 1080p then you need the GTX 1070 and above or you will get horrible performance.
    Also, you need to use your monitors native resolution orherwise it will not look good. What is your old monitor?
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide