Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to Pronounce "Gif"

FloppyFishFloppyFish Posts: 3,881 Member
edited September 2017 in Off Topic Chat
Okay people, my friends are arguing about how to pronounce Gif. I say Jif but they disagree. Plz help settle the argument
Mafia Stats
Games Played: 14 | Games Won: 8 | Games Lost: 6
Times Town: 9 | Times Mafia: 2 | Times 3rd: 2
Town Wins: 6 | Mafia Wins: 1 | 3rd Wins: 1
Deaths: 8

Comments

• Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I used to spell it out as G-I-F, but now I just say jif.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    FloppyFishFloppyFish Posts: 3,881 Member
    I am the same way.
    Mafia Stats
    Games Played: 14 | Games Won: 8 | Games Lost: 6
    Times Town: 9 | Times Mafia: 2 | Times 3rd: 2
    Town Wins: 6 | Mafia Wins: 1 | 3rd Wins: 1
    Deaths: 8

• Options
    ToreshinboToreshinbo Posts: 561 Member
    Gif, with a hard G like in Give. But i've occasionally called it Jif at times.
  • Options
    KelvinKelvin Posts: 6,899 Member
    Gee Eei (excuse my accent) Eff or just gif as in 'gift'
    chicken-run-ginger-i-just-decided-i-dont-care-idc-gif-20619284.gif
    ._.
  • Options
    kittymeowkittymeow Posts: 7,338 Member
    I just say it was a G, how is it actually pronounced? :o
  • Options
    IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member
    edited September 2017
    Gif as in Gift

And I think I heard that was wrong, but that is still the way I pronounce it.
    Post edited by Idontrcall on
    Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh
  • Options
    naninani Posts: 5,563 Member
    depends, if i speak english i would probably say Gif but i i speak french i could say Jif
    A french girl who's been hanging out on the english sims forum for a year now.

tumblr_nj0devVCY61s3y9slo1_500.gif

• Options
    ArchivistArchivist Posts: 4,375 Member
    However you want to pronounce it, exactly the same number of human beings will agree with you. Exactly 50% of the human race pronounces it with a hard G, the other with a soft G. The only way to win the argument would be to kill at least one member of the opposing team for the honor of your team's pronunciation. Only then does your team become the God-ordained ruling faction of how to pronounce the abbreviation of that file format.
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • Options
    Archivist wrote: »
    However you want to pronounce it, exactly the same number of human beings will agree with you. Exactly 50% of the human race pronounces it with a hard G, the other with a soft G. The only way to win the argument would be to kill at least one member of the opposing team for the honor of your team's pronunciation. Only then does your team become the God-ordained ruling faction of how to pronounce the abbreviation of that file format.

i cant be killed, i'm on both team, it would still be equal

muhaha

• Options
    MRSMLOGMRSMLOG Posts: 21,181 Member
    Well, it stands for Graphic Interchange Format. You wouldn't say Jraphic. So hard G. :)
  • Options
    @MRSMLOG would you pronounce giraffe "guiraffe" because it start with a G ?

• Options
    KelvinKelvin Posts: 6,899 Member
    There's gotta be an exception for everything right? :b

I searched wikipedia, it says it's either hard G or soft. Both should be acceptable. Well I think the way it's pronounced doesn't really matter so long as we know what we're all referring to. Plus in some other non-English speaking countries (like France as you have mentioned) people will naturally say it in a different way.
    chicken-run-ginger-i-just-decided-i-dont-care-idc-gif-20619284.gif
    ._.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    nani wrote: »

What??!! I'm just saying the g stands for graphic and I've never heard graphic pronounced as Jraphic. Not in English anyway.
  • Options
    PurrdaleckiPurrdalecki Posts: 972 Member
    MRSMLOG wrote: »

What??!! I'm just saying the g stands for graphic and I've never heard graphic pronounced as Jraphic. Not in English anyway.

Jraphic park.. Sorry. Was the first thing that came to my mind. But yeah anyway, I'm glad there's something to actually prove this as opposed to the whole scone argument... I say that like "gone". And don't come up to me with that "ummm stone is pronounced like this" because there are multiple words pronounced either way of the scone spectrum.. This makes no sense. You do you, though.
    tumblr_inline_o2epubgZOk1tbsl8q_500.gif
    My sims 4 studio with poses for download and stuff: click
  • Options

Jraphic park.. Sorry. Was the first thing that came to my mind. But yeah anyway, I'm glad there's something to actually prove this as opposed to the whole scone argument... I say that like "gone". And don't come up to me with that "ummm stone is pronounced like this" because there are multiple words pronounced either way of the scone spectrum.. This makes no sense. You do you, though.

Haha, Jraphic park came to my mind too when I saw it. :D
  • Options
    simspeaker4simspeaker4 Posts: 5,999 Member
    This is a long-debated topic. I go with the hard G more often than not.
    I am a perfectly decrepit withered old hag who enjoys self-mockery.

Need help falling asleep? http://wry7000.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    Hard G cause when it's written out the word starts with a hard G. Try pronouncing "graphics" with a soft G lol
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    SoapSudsSoapSuds Posts: 1,359 Member
    Idontrcall wrote: »
    Gif and in Gift

It was called wrong by the "creator" of the gif.

But as @MRSMLOG stated, gif stands for "Graphic Interchange Format". So logically, it should be pronounced with a hard "g", despite what the creator has said. But, since so many people say it both ways, both ways have become socially acceptable at this point.
  • Options
    TrowiciaTrowicia Posts: 2,027 Member
    I think the creator of gif pronounces it "Jif", although I say "Gif" with a hard G.
    Iunno, I don't put much thought in a debate as everyone I speak to that either say "Jif" or "Gif" with a hard G still have the same meaning when heard in proper context.
    // take me back to 2018.
  • Options
    wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
    It's Jif dadgum it! XD
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    Well, it stands for Graphic Interchange Format. You wouldn't say Jraphic. So hard G. :)

I hate it when I see people say this.

Laser is short for "light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation". But you pronounce the S in laser with a Z sound, not an S sound. So....

Plus, the creator says it should be pronounced as 'jif'. So, it's only right if we go with what the creator says it should be pronounced. Just like if your parent gives you a name and tells you to spell it and pronounce it a certain way, you would do it and also correct everyone else who pronounces it differently/wrongly.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Gif, with a hard G.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited September 2017
    i usually say "jif" to be honest
    i feel like saying gif outloud can easily be mistaken for gift, or give, or something like that.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    andersson01andersson01 Posts: 193 Member
    Gief, nao! Ktnxbye!
    The world would be a much better place without me... I can't allow that! >:D
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Idontrcall wrote: »
    Gif and in Gift

Same here

Jenna Marbles once gave a whole speech on why it's pronounced Gif so I agree. :p
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/