Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A Plea: Please, please sort out outfit shenanigans

ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
edited July 2017 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
I, like I suspect a lot of simmers, find creating outfits for our sims one of the most pleasurable parts of the game and it is really upsetting when the game just messes them up. It feels like someone or something is actively vandalising my game.

I know that it is known issue by the developers, but isn't there a time to just cut losses and rip out all the random outfit change stuff? I know, sounds a bit drastic, but its awful.

I would much rather have a clothes stall at the festivals where I can buy the outfits parts that are used, or even get them from the existing festival vendor that then gives more outfit options in the game to help diversify sims further.

The fake vampires were quite funny at first, when they worked.

Now it just all feels like a mess.

We can go into Manage households or use cheats, mods etc to change them back, but this is very tedious and time consuming and then to have them all randomised again is just plain disheartening.

I just see a load of CAS items that I can't use and some malevolent algorithm giggling manically at me.
Awake.
Shake dreams from your hair
My pretty child, my sweet one.
Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
The day's divinity....
The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison

Comments

• Options
    Bear31Bear31 Posts: 3,412 Member
    I feel as though they just need to get the outfit slots right. Mine still change into the very first outfit for daywear when going to school.

If you're talking about the random outfit bug where everything is mismatched (and, correct if I am wrong, there are even sims dressed as vamps that aren't actual vamps hence "fake vamps"?) It must be really annoying......

I think what needs to happen is that they need even more intricate categories.....like school clothes/work clothes and the like.
  • Options
    PallystylePallystyle Posts: 2,415 Member

Agreed!

Going to the romance festival is a nightmare of fashion. It's like the game randomly picks an item from every category and dresses sims. Why can't they just show up in their formal wear?

I would also love love love, to be able to make my own styled outfits to use in CAS. Even if I couldn't share them..although that would be cool...I'd love to be able to do this for my game.
    My Sims 4 Creations= Click Here ;) Find me on origin at Pallystyle
    My Murkland Challenge Adventures: Click Here

• Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Pallypoo wrote: »
    Agreed!

Going to the romance festival is a nightmare of fashion. It's like the game randomly picks an item from every category and dresses sims. Why can't they just show up in their formal wear?

I would also love love love, to be able to make my own styled outfits to use in CAS. Even if I couldn't share them..although that would be cool...I'd love to be able to do this for my game.
    Yeh, if we could make our own styled outfits and then there was an option to have townies use styled outfits, I think that'd be awesome.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I agree. I often think it's funny and sometimes I just ignore it but it kind of hits home when it's one of your sims that have on those random outfits. I think the funny has worn out for me. I kind of wish they would start by stripping accessories off.. let us dress them with those things if we feel like it. Those accessories just encourages one more layer of eyesore.. no two because it's tops and tails.

I love that idea to use the styled outfits in game as outfits for townies that you mentioned @Triplis and it would be really nice to have a tool to add to them.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    It seems, looking at the posts so far, that we are of a mind here.

There are so many imaginative things that could be done with outfits in the game and yet we have this randomly generated whatever it is.

So many gaming firms put vast amount of effort into their character creators because, let's face it, we love playing dress up. A lot of us love this stuff. In the good, bad old days we had to play hours of repetitive gameplay to get an outfit.

For a player that likes this stuff, The Sims is Nirvana. So please, please, don't mess with it.

Wardrobes that are stuffed to the brim with threads, so we can style, make unique, play dress up!

If you want to mix stuff up, then get us some clever traits together that give our sims points for cool outfits. We do have a fashion district. I wanna put some of my sims in the best of the best, if they can afford 'em or get and agent, so they can mince with full pride. We (well, me really) wanna rock our sims here. And if it is a future pack, fashion and all, we (yup, that would be me) want to do the fashion, not you, not the game - us (me again o/)!

We ^ want to revel in the look of our sims that we have created - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly and...The Bland.

Give us our sims back!

They are not for you to clothe, that is our job :)
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    For a player that likes this stuff, The Sims is Nirvana.
    So true. I adore CAS cause of the customization. <3
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    PallystylePallystyle Posts: 2,415 Member

I am hoping they fix it in a patch this month. And that maybe we get the ability to make our own styled looks. That would be an awesome patch!
    My Sims 4 Creations= Click Here ;) Find me on origin at Pallystyle
    My Murkland Challenge Adventures: Click Here

• Options
    lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member
    I guess I don't pay that much attention to the townies at the festivals, unless they are my Sims. In that case, all of my Sims are made by me and dressed by me for each category. When they need to have on their party outfit, they have it on, formal, swim, etc.
  • Options
    lasummerb wrote: »
    I guess I don't pay that much attention to the townies at the festivals, unless they are my Sims. In that case, all of my Sims are made by me and dressed by me for each category. When they need to have on their party outfit, they have it on, formal, swim, etc.

Well then you are quite fortunate....I myself have only had the bug that makes sims change into their first every day outfit for school. In other sims, it seems to be their most dominant outfit that they always wear.

@ModerateOsprey, I would have loved it if the fashion district attract more snooty sims and have things like fashion shows and all. I would also care to see things like D.C./Marvel shirts patched in or something that is not generic and looks like something you'd buy at a real store.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I'm still waiting on the day we can 'theme' our towns. Don't like anything but cowboy hats, then so be it, everyone gets one! Don't like anything but skirts for females, then great set it yourself! That's what I wish for how much control I want over what townies wear and when. If you want to play old west, then by doggies, you could with a toggle that lets you filter out everything townies couldn't show up wearing in your saloon. :)

Just give us the toggles, please.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    I like it the way it is......we don't need toggles cause then that's one more thing to add on the long list of stuff that could break and not be fixed. Then everyone will be complaining about how those toggles are messing up the game.

I just think it needs to be fixed is all.
  • Options
    I can see a lot of merit in themed type control.

Perhaps some official lot traits - something like the custom lot trait that allows you to set a dress code for a lot, so you can select whether the lot requires everyday/casual, formal, etc. This would allow any lot to be themed using the existing outfit slot mechanic.

Indeed, wouldn't it be nice if these slots were expanded so there could be situation slots such as festivals, etc. all available in CAS.

Another mod I use is one that switches all kids to teens clothes to the formal slot when going to school, allowing for school uniforms.

Control on outfits does seem skipped over. You can't set makeup and hair on club outfits, for example.

My plea is to give us this kind of control as opposed to the game just randomly selecting things.

Linkies
    http://simsasylum.com/tfm/index.php?/topic/12242-school-wear-school-uniforms-no-chance-card-performance-loss/

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=596494
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Options
    ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    Pallypoo wrote: »
    Agreed!

Couldn't agree more, if you're going somewhere to get your flirt on, you want to look your best, right? so let them wear their formal or party wear to the romance festival & save the silly hats for the humor & hijinks festival (or better yet, don't, just leave the costume wear for geek con, or even better yet, let the players choose their festival wear). Also make them change back to every day after the festivals, I'm so sick of seeing sims running around town in wrestling masks. And STOP changing our played sims' clothes, period!
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    A new toggle for what type of clothes to wear to any lot would be very welcome. That would be one of the best things ever, I think we had something like that before...in The Sims maybe when they could purchase those 'special' outfits downtown...I can't remember but particular clothes were required at particular events. Like weddings in TS2...all formal..the problem is these townies think a sombreo and halter top is formal but when I go to pick it, it's filter out of formal...why do they get those type of choices?
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    I like your idea cinebar.

seeing sims in outrageous outfits and looking ridiculous breaks the immersion
  • Options
    Why add when you can rework what we already have? For restaurants we can set the tone for what we want the patrons to wear while dining. Why not do that with all community lots instead? It seems like for the problems we want fixed that we are so willing to add things when that might just be the problem to start with. If there is something like already having the ability to set the tone for what we want our patrons to be wearing, then that's a lot better cause we are expanding on something we already know that works.
  • Options
    Bear31 wrote: »
    Why add when you can rework what we already have? For restaurants we can set the tone for what we want the patrons to wear while dining. Why not do that with all community lots instead? It seems like for the problems we want fixed that we are so willing to add things when that might just be the problem to start with. If there is something like already having the ability to set the tone for what we want our patrons to be wearing, then that's a lot better cause we are expanding on something we already know that works.

Reworking is exactly what I was wanting. The primary point of my OP was that, as it stands, control is taken away from the player. I was arguing that what we(me) have been given is the opposite of what is desired. Spend three hours carefully dressing it a sim and have the game decide that its random algorithm knows better. I sigh, go through the stages from anger to acceptance, correct and then the game does it all again - it does feel like a troll.

I do not want the contextual outfit switching changed such as getting dressed after a shower, etc. I want the new random stuff gone. Killed.

I do want the existing system expanded, so we have accessible slots for all contextual outfits. I can set what they switch into when sims exercise, sleep, go to work, go to parties, etc. Why can't I have slots for careers, festivals, daytime, night time, etc ,etc? What is the reason? Can anyone think of one?

Being able to set a specific slot for a lot would be icing on the cake. Want to build our own festival in Willow Creek Park, then set the lot for a specific festival slot. Would make sense to me. Wouldn't it be great if we could set it to Festival Category/Slot 3, for example?

The problem with how it is used in restaurants is that it is exclusive to that lot type and is integrated into the restaurant gameplay. Same goes for retail and clubs for that matter. In any case, these are all optional packs and it is a bit of distraction, IMO. My complaint is aimed specifically at the new random outfit changes that seem to have been largely introduced with CL and Vampires.

While setting outfits on lots was originally the idea of a modder, events are already in the game. If I have a sim throwing an event, then it would make sense for me be able to select the dress code of that event using the existing system of categories and their 5 slots.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Options

Reworking is exactly what I was wanting. The primary point of my OP was that, as it stands, control is taken away from the player. I was arguing that what we(me) have been given is the opposite of what is desired. Spend three hours carefully dressing it a sim and have the game decide that its random algorithm knows better. I sigh, go through the stages from anger to acceptance, correct and then the game does it all again - it does feel like a troll.

I do not want the contextual outfit switching changed such as getting dressed after a shower, etc. I want the new random stuff gone. Killed.

I do want the existing system expanded, so we have accessible slots for all contextual outfits. I can set what they switch into when sims exercise, sleep, go to work, go to parties, etc. Why can't I have slots for careers, festivals, daytime, night time, etc ,etc? What is the reason? Can anyone think of one?

Being able to set a specific slot for a lot would be icing on the cake. Want to build our own festival in Willow Creek Park, then set the lot for a specific festival slot. Would make sense to me. Wouldn't it be great if we could set it to Festival Category/Slot 3, for example?

The problem with how it is used in restaurants is that it is exclusive to that lot type and is integrated into the restaurant gameplay. Same goes for retail and clubs for that matter. In any case, these are all optional packs and it is a bit of distraction, IMO. My complaint is aimed specifically at the new random outfit changes that seem to have been largely introduced with CL and Vampires.

While setting outfits on lots was originally the idea of a modder, events are already in the game. If I have a sim throwing an event, then it would make sense for me be able to select the dress code of that event using the existing system of categories and their 5 slots.

Which is why I am saying we don't need any new toggles to be added......just a fix here and there. I like these ideas a lot.
  • Options

Which is why I am saying we don't need any new toggles to be added......just a fix here and there. I like these ideas a lot.

Cheers :)

It really frustrates me. I love my character creators and The Sims is the Mx of The Universe. The game can do as it likes, but the sims are all mine! They may well be empty headed souls with no memory that do nothing but play video games and not know how to sit still, but they should always look good :)
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Options
    LivinityLivinity Posts: 455 Member
    Imho they need to fix this issue, it's ridiculous, it's becoming a joke. I know about the bug where random townies wears every possible accessory, but the issue is older than that, it's just getting worse. It always bothered me, granted beautiful townies were never the rule, but I never saw this insane mismatch in the previous games. How hard can it be to make the game choose between those "styled looks" we already have available? They're fine, we even have different colors for diversity and if that's the concern, just create more looks there or let us create our own. It can't be worse than the train wreck we have right now.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    The festival outfits are definitely broken. I hope that gets fixed in a patch. Sims are wearing random stuff like scuba helmets, eye patches and mismatched turbans, just to name a few examples. I hope that they work on that.

I've mentioned that I have seen a few improved townies in my game, which is true. By that I mean, random townies where I barely have to change anything and they have decent traits. If there's something that they can do to generally improve the townies, I welcome it. I do edit my townies but improving random fashion would save me some time.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    I just discovered it IS possible to change their outfits! And very easy, too. While in cheat mode, have your sim introduce themself to the horribly dressed sim. Then shift + click on that sim, and the "toddler care" option will come up, under that you'll find "change outfit" and their outfit options. And there you are! I don't know if it's new, or been there all along, but my sim world looks much better now, plus my sims are out there socializing a lot more!
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • Options
    damagedlostbrokendamagedlostbroken Posts: 293 Member
    I started a new CL save last night and I spent over an hour fixing all of the townies clothes and names in household management. The Humor and Hijinks festival started up and everyone was wearing ridiculous outfits save my Sim. I too thought it was funny at first looking at all of the weird outfits, but then it just got old. As did changing up everyone who lives in the city. I've played Sims 4 completely vanilla since it came out and I hate the idea that I'm going to have to once again get a mod to fix broken issues that should already be fixed. I REALLY don't want to play with mods this time either. :(
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited July 2017
    I started a new CL save last night and I spent over an hour fixing all of the townies clothes and names in household management. The Humor and Hijinks festival started up and everyone was wearing ridiculous outfits save my Sim. I too thought it was funny at first looking at all of the weird outfits, but then it just got old. As did changing up everyone who lives in the city. I've played Sims 4 completely vanilla since it came out and I hate the idea that I'm going to have to once again get a mod to fix broken issues that should already be fixed. I REALLY don't want to play with mods this time either. :(

That's like my Sim at the Spice festival - you would not believe the combination of clothing the Sims were wearing. I went around taking pictures galore - it seemed like anything bright and oversaturated with wild colors is what the townies wore. I saw shorts with long evening gloves - knee socks with high heel sandals - even the scientist Dr. Who looking eye wear on one sim and another wearing a formal gown with the knights Helmet.

When ever i want a big laugh I go back and look at those pics. It is so beyond just bad taste. Ironically the only Sims dressed reasonable and normally were two aliens wearing regular and pretty decently matched outfits. Of course they were both bald - so not disguised at all. But I suppose for aliens to be in normal clothing is pretty out there for them when not in disguise.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    YellebYelleb Posts: 156 Member
    I don't know if it was a fever dream or what, but before the Sims 4 came out, I vivdly remember the developers saying that the game would be "smarter" about townie outfits this time around because a lot of people complained about horrendous townie fashion in TS3.

I guess they abandoned the idea?