Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Game freezes: update, solved

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    Dusty_BootsDusty_Boots Posts: 236 Member
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    @Dusty_Boots That sounds intense! And I hope you got your real life house cleaning accomplished. I so appreciate all your help, and the help of everyone who chimed in to this thread. Nothing seems to help this expensive piece of junk so it's time to drop it off to the local techies and see what they can do.

Chesterbigbird has put together a great looking desktop for me. I will just have to suffer Sims 3 withdrawal until it gets here. :)

You're very welcome, but I'm sorry that none of it remedied your problem. :/ I suspected it was a tricky one as its been plaguing you off & on for some time. I hope Staples can figure it out for you and that the GPU hasn't been damaged by that ongoing problem(s). wow -3 laptops in 3 years?! I'm sorry that you've had such a lousy, and expensive!, experience. If you follow chesterbigbird's advice you'll have a dandy desktop pc! Then you can put all those troubles behind you and just enjoy the game. ;)

Yup, I got the house cleaned (finally!). I've been very negligent in such chores ever since I put together my new pc on chester & Simasaurus's advice. Its become a bit of a joke here. My hubby says the dirtier the house appears, the happier his wife must be. True. B)
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    Yup, I got the house cleaned (finally!). I've been very negligent in such chores ever since I put together my new pc on chester & Simasaurus's advice. Its become a bit of a joke here. My hubby says the dirtier the house appears, the happier his wife must be. True. B)

@Dusty_Boots :lol: Happy wife, happy life...dirty house.

The first two laptops ended up being free. I ordered an Alienware and got it right before we left for a 3-week trip. By the time I booted it up and realized that it was blue screening every time I turned it on, I had passed the 30 day money back guarantee. So endless hours on the phone with tech support, too many recoveries to count, sent it back to them and they replaced the hard drive, same problems. They sent a guy over to replace some other parts. He told me 'buy Lenovo' next time. After a year they finally gave me a new one, well 'refurbished'. The desktop kept crashing. :( So more hours on the phone with tech support and before the month was out on the second one the tech guy suggested I ask for a refund. They gave me every cent. I think they just wanted to get rid of me. :smiley: The Lenovo worked perfectly for a year until I tried to play Sims 2. Uninstalled Sims 2 and everything seemed fine after that. So you see why I'm ready for a desktop. :unamused:
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Got my new 'puter, she's a beast! <3 (Thank you chesterbigbird!)

Trying to hook up my current monitor and wondering if I need a different connector or a new monitor.

This is the connection on the back of the computer. The second row connector is supposed to be for the monitor:

back of computer

(Sorry for the facebook links but photobucket has gone mad)

This is the end of the current connector that is on the monitor, which doesn't fit into the new space.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1960934180795862&set=pcb.1960934390795841&type=3&theater

And this is all the connections on the tv/monitor that I have now.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1960934177462529&set=pcb.1960934390795841&type=3&theater

So is there a connector I can buy that will link the new computer to the old monitor and have everything look good? Or do I just need a new monitor? Thanks

• Options
    DivieOwlDivieOwl Posts: 1,161 Member
    Looks like your GPU needs a HDMI connection. I can't tell from the picture if those two are USB slots or HDMI slots on the monitor/tv.
  • Options
    @DivieOwl I tried a usb connector into the monitor and it won't fit so maybe it's hdmi? Here is a closer picture of the slots:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1960946527461294&set=a.1384392811783338.1073741826.100006378970232&type=3&theater

So does that mean I need a new monitor? And do you have any recommendations?
  • Options
    Another day off with no Sims 3 :cry::scream: Poor me
  • Options
    Okay, I found an hdmi connection on the puter, and what I think is an hdmi connector on the monitor. So if I get an hdmi cord will that make the tv work as a monitor?
  • Options
    Yes, those are HDMI connections on both GPU and Tv/Monitor. Just get a HDMI cord and connect the two together.
  • Options
    This is where you connect the monitor, just in case you didn't know.

HDMI.jpg
  • Options
    @DivieOwl Ooooh, thank you. I've cannibalized one of our TV's to get the hdmi cord but it wasn't recognizing it. I'll try that.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Yes! That was it. I had it plugged into the wrong spot on the computer. It looks really weird but hey, I got a desktop!

ETA: Oops, thank you @DivieOwl
  • Options
    You're welcome.
  • Options
    Now it won't recognize the disc drive. It's not there in file manager or device manager. I've googled and tried some fixes, none of which work. Customer service is of course closed today.