Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[Prediction Time] How many EPs will TS4 have at the end of its life span?

Vote here: http://www.strawpoll.me/13145090

As we all know, TS1 has 7 EPs, TS2 has 8 EPs, and TS3 has 11 EPs. How many EPs do you think TS4 will have by the end of its life span?

The lowest voting option is 4 EPs because we have indirect confirmation that at least one EP is in the works (due to Gurus who say they work on EPs after the release of City Living).

I'll post a new thread here when we have the confirmation of TS4's final EP with a link to this thread to see who got it right :p
qidpmcvgek8y.png

Comments

• Options
    MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member
    You guys are very optimistic, 12 EPs?!
  • Options
    CitySimmer16CitySimmer16 Posts: 331 Member
    If we're strictly speak EPs only, maybe 5 at most realistically
    FFCOojX.gif
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    I agree. EP4 will be released in the autumn of 2017 and EP5 likely in the autumn of 2018. But if TS5 as expected is released in the autumn of 2019 there is a small chance though that EP6 could be released just before that. But my guess is 5 EPs too (and 5 or 6 GPs to compensate for the low number of EPs).
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    I actually was just looking something up regarding Sims 3 and Sims 4 EP rates, and noticed something interesting:

Currently, we're at the 2 year and 9 month mark in Sims 4's development. If you go back and look at what Sims 3 accomplished in this time, it had 6 expansions and 5 Stuff Packs. By the end of development, Sims 3 had 11 Expansions and 9 Stuff Packs. At this exact moment in development time, Sims 3 had more-or-less released exactly half of it's content.

If you assume the same for Sims 4, then you can assume we'd get 6 EPs, 10 GPs, and 22 SPs.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    PrincessVeePrincessVee Posts: 1,787 Member
    Erpe wrote: »
    I agree. EP4 will be released in the autumn of 2017 and EP5 likely in the autumn of 2018. But if TS5 as expected is released in the autumn of 2019 there is a small chance though that EP6 could be released just before that. But my guess is 5 EPs too (and 5 or 6 GPs to compensate for the low number of EPs).

As expected by whom?
    Intel i7-6700HQ; nvidia gtx970m 3 gb; 1tb HHD and 256gb SSD; my drivers are always up to date.

• Options

As expected by whom?
    By everybody but the dreamers ;)

In TS1 days simmers dreamt about TS1 getting new EPs for at least 10 yrs - and many were quite angry when TS2 was announced.

Then dreaming simmers thought that TS2 was the final version of the game and therefore would get new EPs for at least 10 yrs. So they were very disappointed when TS3 was announced.

Then the same story was repeated about TS3 and once again we saw the same big disappointment when TS4 was announced. Now the dreaming simmers want TS4 to get expansions until 2025 and TS5 not to be released before that. So the same story just continue and usually is repeated every 5 yrs ;)
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member

As expected by whom?
    By everybody but the dreamers ;)

In TS1 days simmers dreamt about TS1 getting new EPs for at least 10 yrs - and many were quite angry when TS2 was announced.

Then dreaming simmers thought that TS2 was the final version of the game and therefore would get new EPs for at least 10 yrs. So they were very disappointed when TS3 was announced.

Then the same story was repeated about TS3 and once again we saw the same big disappointment when TS4 was announced. Now the dreaming simmers want TS4 to get expansions until 2025 and TS5 not to be released before that. So the same story just continue and usually is repeated every 5 yrs ;)

Personally I hold the stance that....

It was maybe over a year ago that they said "Sims 4 won't neccesarily have the same lifespan of the others, we'll make packs as long as it makes sense to do so." Back then, the thing was they probably had no concrete plans about how long production should continue.

By the time Pets releases...? That'll be 3 years and 2 months into development. I would expect they would have some idea of if they'll be continuing this project beyond 2019 or not by then. If they do plan for production to go on longer? They'd likely tell us, because it's beneficial to do so. It encourages unsatisfied buyers to stick around and be patient and eventually Sims 4 will get all they want. If they keep their mouths shut...? Yeah, we're probably getting the same ~4 year routine.

My stance is that until we're provided with a reason why Sims 4 would be beneficial to cling onto longer, they probably won't cling onto it longer.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    I voted 6. Expansions take the absolute longest to make for this game, and arguably have been mostly terrible (in my opinion at least).

Sims 4 won't last forever, no matter what they alluded to a few years ago. I give it 2-3 years tops and then I see EA moving on with another Sims title. Hopefully they learned some valuable lessons with S4 and make the next one a little less reductive and limiting.
  • Options

As expected by whom?
    By nobody but the haters ;)

I fixed it for you. Thank me later.

1. There's no evidence that suggests that sims 5 is in the works or that there's even going to be a sims 5. Less so that it's coming out in 2019. Saying that "everyone expects it to come out in 2019" is simply wrong.
    2. Sims 4 is very different from Sims 2 and 3 in its format. Sims 4 is a live service. We get patches every month. So if the games functionality/tools/engine needs to be updated, they can update it fairly easily. It was not the case with Sims 2 and 3. Sims 3 was patched... what? Once or twice a year? This change of format from sims 3 to sims 4 implies that this iteration is meant to be on the market longer than its predecessors.
    Intel i7-6700HQ; nvidia gtx970m 3 gb; 1tb HHD and 256gb SSD; my drivers are always up to date.

• Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    Well we still need Seasons and Uni. If they are working on pets.
  • Options
    WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    edited June 2017

As expected by whom?

I fixed it for you. Thank me later.

1. There's no evidence that suggests that sims 5 is in the works or that there's even going to be a sims 5. Less so that it's coming out in 2019. Saying that "everyone expects it to come out in 2019" is simply wrong.
    2. Sims 4 is very different from Sims 2 and 3 in its format. Sims 4 is a live service. We get patches every month. So if the games functionality/tools/engine needs to be updated, they can update it fairly easily. It was not the case with Sims 2 and 3. Sims 3 was patched... what? Once or twice a year? This change of format from sims 3 to sims 4 implies that this iteration is meant to be on the market longer than its predecessors.

'is a live service'...Nah, it is a repair service. Adding and fixing the stuff that we deserved from the beginning. :) Therefore it shouldn't have affected development. All of that stuff should be upon release but alas...we keep getting terrible content.
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options

As expected by whom?

I misquoted it for you. Flag me later.
    Maybe I will. This time I only paid you back though. But please don't do it again! Misquoting is against the forum rules and I am sure that the gurus won't accept it! So let us stop here and now.
    No and there was no evidence that the Sims 4 was in the works until it was announced in May 2013. Nevertheless it was released a year later in September 2014. Similar things could be said about the earlier big Sims games and nobody knew that the Sims Mobile was in the works until it suddenly was released in Brazil. I therefore also don't expect any information about the Sims 5 to be in the works until it will be announced which most likely will happen in the middle of or late in 2018.
    The patches are now released more offen because the game is connected to Origin and because EA was inspired by the mobile games which often get updates about once a month. But this doesn't make TS4 into a mobile MMO game or some different type of Sims game because it is still just an offline singleplayer game that gets a huge number of paid expansions to increase EA's profit. I don't expect this to change for TS5 either (even though I can't guess what EA plans to be the new big thing in TS5 - we will just have to wait to see).
  • Options
    Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    I voted 8. We will have 4 s of this fall, and I'm almost certain there will be at least 2 more years to this game. We at least know there's 2018, and I'll wager it'll go into 2019. While technically that might mean 6-7 EPs, I know that more EPs tend to get released more quickly towards the end of the lifecycle. So I chose 8. Of course there will also be a few more GPs to flesh out that experience. I would be shocked if we got more than 8, but I guess it depends how long the game lasts!
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    @Erpe wrote: »
    No and there was no evidence that the Sims 4 was in the works until it was announced in May 2013.

Yes there was. An EA employee tweeted about starting working on TS4 in April, 2010. The info was widely publicized in the community.

http://beyondsims.com/14622/sims-4-in-production-and-a-note-to-those-in-the-community/
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    Similar things could be said about the earlier big Sims games and nobody knew that the Sims Mobile was in the works until it suddenly was released in Brazil.

It was fairly obvious for anyone looking at their job openings. They were hiring for an unnannounced mobile game of the Sims franchise for a long time.
  • Options
    MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member
    I actually was just looking something up regarding Sims 3 and Sims 4 EP rates, and noticed something interesting:

Currently, we're at the 2 year and 9 month mark in Sims 4's development. If you go back and look at what Sims 3 accomplished in this time, it had 6 expansions and 5 Stuff Packs. By the end of development, Sims 3 had 11 Expansions and 9 Stuff Packs. At this exact moment in development time, Sims 3 had more-or-less released exactly half of it's content.

If you assume the same for Sims 4, then you can assume we'd get 6 EPs, 10 GPs, and 22 SPs.

That sounds about right.
  • Options
    elelunicy wrote: »
    No and there was no evidence that the Sims 4 was in the works until it was announced in May 2013.

Yes there was. An EA employee tweeted about starting working on TS4 in April, 2010. The info was widely publicized in the community.

http://beyondsims.com/14622/sims-4-in-production-and-a-note-to-those-in-the-community/
    I haven't seen the tweet. But if it only told about a new Sims game under development then it was probably the Sims Medieval even though people of course thought that it was about TS4 instead ;)
  • Options
    rinre33rinre33 Posts: 697 Member
    I voted 7. We currently have 3, I expect that pets and seasons will happen, making it 5. Then I guess something else will be thrown in at some point, like university or something. I think others, such as island paradise are what we are more likely to see come as game packs which is why we have fewer expansion packs I guess? I'd be happy with 7 or 8, hopefully not just 5 though
  • Options
    Neia wrote: »
    Similar things could be said about the earlier big Sims games and nobody knew that the Sims Mobile was in the works until it suddenly was released in Brazil.

It was fairly obvious for anyone looking at their job openings. They were hiring for an unnannounced mobile game of the Sims franchise for a long time.
    I haven't seen this. But if they hire for a PC game of the Sims franchise we still won't know if it is for TS4, a new sidegame (like the Sims Story Line games and Medieval) or for TS5. So I really doubt that we will know more until about a year before TS5 is releashed and EA therefore is likely to announce it. Even so my guess is that TS5 began its development in 2015 and that it will be announced officially in 2018.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

I haven't seen the tweet. But if it only told about a new Sims game under development then it was probably the Sims Medieval even though people of course thought that it was about TS4 instead ;)

The tweet explicitly said "Sims 4" ;) And we do know from other sources that TS4's development started around that time so that the timeline matches up :p
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options

The tweet explicitly said "Sims 4" ;) And we do know from other sources that TS4's development started around that time so that the timeline matches up :p
    Your link didn't give us the tweet. So we don't know it's exact wording and the Sims Medieval was released in March 2011 and was therefore developed in 2010 even though we didn't know that either ;)
  • Options

Your link didn't give us the tweet. So we don't know it's exact wording and the Sims Medieval was released in March 2011 and was therefore developed in 2010 even though we didn't know that either ;)

Lol. Sims medieval was not made in 1 year. It takes a bit longer than that to make a game from scratch. And the tweet said "starting to work", which means the development just started at that time.

• Options

Read it again. My link included the screenshot of the tweet, and it explicitly says "Sims 4" ;)
    qidpmcvgek8y.png