Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anyone here have part of their game deleted from Origin?

phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
We are getting reports of people missing part of their game because of the new origin update. So far it seems to be a pattern of people who bought game codes off of steam then registered them to origin, bought codes off ebay or possibly Amazon. Has anyone who bought codes directly through EA been effected?

According to a post by user igazor Origin is seeing these codes as a TOS violation. EA needs to fix this.
igazor wrote: »
Advisors on the EA Answers HQ board are telling players facing this with any games, not just TS3, that they are getting false positive TOS violations and EA is automatically removing their purchased and registered games/packs from their accounts as a result. Seems to have been brought about by an Origin update of a few days ago. Uninstalling and reinstalling is not going to fix that.

The recommendation here for those facing this with all legit game purchases that worked just fine before the recent Origin update from late last week/over the weekend has got to be to contact EA Customer Support. If you get an unhelpful support agent, ask to be escalated or walk away (figuratively) and try again.

Comments

• Options
    GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    I had it, yeah, the items from steam purchases didn't show up in game. But there were still (checked) in the start program so I unchecked and checked them there and then they worked.
  • Options
    GITTE2001 wrote: »
    I had it, yeah, the items from steam purchases didn't show up in game. But there were still (checked) in the start program so I unchecked and checked them there and then they worked.

Thanks. I will pass that also to someone who has steam registered to origin and see if that will help them.

I just spoke to someone who bought their whole game on ebay and this is the notice EA gave them
    Linamints wrote: »
    @phoebebebe13 I will say I bought most of my codes off of eBay :(.

I also awoke to bad news this morning.
    "Hello,

Product Name: The Sims 3

Thank you for contacting us regarding your inability to access The Sims 3.

After reviewing your case, we found that your game was disabled due to a chargeback against your account.

Chargebacks may occur if a game code has been purchased from an unauthorized source and/or if you have initiated a chargeback.

You will need to repurchase the game in order to play it. Make sure you purchase from an authorized and trustworthy retailer or recognized digital distribution service such as Origin.

If you experience any problems after purchasing the game, you can contact us at accountdisputes@ea.com. Make sure to attach your proof of purchase and the relevant game code.

EA takes chargebacks seriously and future chargebacks will ultimately result in permanent account closure.

You can review the full Terms of Service at http://tos.ea.com/legalapp/WEBTERMS/US/en/PC/

Thank you,

EA Terms of Service"

I am NOT be paying for this a second time. I'll try phone support.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Just updating. Spoke to someone who has legit copies of the game bought from EA. They reinstalled the game and were able to recover. As @GITTE2001 posed above they were able to recover their steam codes they registered to origin.

The biggest problem seems to be those who purchased codes on Ebay. These codes may not be legit or already registered to another account. If you have purchased any of this game off ebay, I would contact the seller find out where those codes came from. Contact EA directly.

I know EA sells unused codes to Amazon to be registered to origin. These are legit codes. I have never heard of EA selling unused codes to Ebay sellers.
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    edited May 2017
    I have several EPs and most SPs purchased from Steam and registered with Origin. I also bought the base game from Steam and registered it with Origin. I install everything from Origin now. I saw your post and just checked in Origin: all EPs and SPs are still in my game library. Nothing has disappeared.

In the past few days I have launched the game several times to find EPs missing. I just shut down the game immediately and restart the Launcher. Occasionally I'll get a notice that new packs were found. Then I go to see which packs were checked off in the Launcher and they always were checked (but see below). I'm on patch 1.69. Once I confirm everything is checked off the game loads properly the next time it start it up. This has happened occasionally on 1.69 since that patch was released so I didn't think much of it.

However, I thought I had found a work around by setting the LoadOption.ini file security permissions to deny write permission for my account (so the Launcher can't change the settings when it "forgets" what I've previously checked off). To do this I followed Crinrict's tutorial about using this method to prevent the game filling the FeaturedItems folder with images (here). That's worked for me since last fall; I haven't had the Launcher forget my selected packs since then. So, I thought it odd that the Launcher suddenly started forgetting which packs I had selected in the Expansions and Stuff Packs tab. Maybe it's this Origin update? I don't know.

Anyhow, I haven't had any Steam purchased EPs, SPs, or base game disabled in my Origin library or on my computer. When finding packs haven't loaded, I essentially just restart the game, confirming that all my packs are selected in the Expansion and Stuff Packs tab.
  • Options
    @TreyNutz what your talking about seems to occur allot with the 1.69 patch. ( so glad I'm on 1.67) This also happens with the sims 4 on occasion. We tell everyone to uninstall and reinstall origin or reboot your computer. That all seems to work.

If you read that letter above that someone got from EA, this seems to be people who bought codes off ebay that can not recover their game by any method. I suspect those codes have been used before , maybe registered twice and origin is now picking up on that. I was advised by people who are in contact with EA that if anyone has this issue you need to contact EA directly
  • Options
    marstinsonmarstinson Posts: 367 Member
    Interesting problem. Since I'm playing on a Steam installation, I went to check my Origin library and note that all of my EPs and SPs are showing as downloadable, EXCEPT University Life, which has a lovely green "BUY NOW" button on it (yeah, we're not doing that). What makes the problem especially interesting is that I checked my Steam purchase history and found UL and ITF on the same order about three years ago and I would have registered them at the same time. So why decide that one is no good, but the other is? My base game was a Steam purchase, the SPs were all Steam purchases (can't beat a $5 sale), and the EPs were about half Origin and half Steam.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    marstinson wrote: »
    Interesting problem. Since I'm playing on a Steam installation, I went to check my Origin library and note that all of my EPs and SPs are showing as downloadable, EXCEPT University Life, which has a lovely green "BUY NOW" button on it (yeah, we're not doing that). What makes the problem especially interesting is that I checked my Steam purchase history and found UL and ITF on the same order about three years ago and I would have registered them at the same time. So why decide that one is no good, but the other is? My base game was a Steam purchase, the SPs were all Steam purchases (can't beat a $5 sale), and the EPs were about half Origin and half Steam.

as @TreyNutz and @GITTE2001 explained there is a way to recover if you purchased on steam and registered to origin. You can reboot your computer , uncheck and recheck items or uninstall and reinstall origin. All these things will fix the problem if you have purchased your game copies from an authorized dealer. Origin tends to mess up allot even for legit copies of the game and so glad I have the old version of the game that does not require origin or any drm . I think origin's new update is attacking all the illegitimate copies of the game (many purchased on ebay) to where they can't recover. It maybe messing with some legit copies but those seem to be able to recover.
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member

Double check that UL entry in Origin. Origin shows me as owning the Limited version of UL and also shows a buy button for the regular version of UL. I bought UL from Steam. I have no idea if I actually bought the Limited Edition or whether Origin just thinks I did.
  • Options
    TreyNutz wrote: »

Double check that UL entry in Origin. Origin shows me as owning the Limited version of UL and also shows a buy button for the regular version of UL. I bought UL from Steam. I have no idea if I actually bought the Limited Edition or whether Origin just thinks I did.

Origin messes up no doubt. I can't begin to tell you how many times I had to uninstall and reinstall origin once I added the sims 4 to my computer. I removed it all :p When I just had the sims 3 I never had to uninstall and reinstall origin but I also have the sims 3 old version that does not require origin.

as long as they haven't taken your game away since you bought your game from an authorized dealer your safe.
  • Options
    Faerie197Faerie197 Posts: 1,077 Member
    I feel so special... I apparently was among the first with this issue. Reinstalling the game helped me, but then I bought the game and all my EP through Origin.

And yeah, I would personally never buy a computer game off Ebay. Sure you might get the game disks and account/install key. BUt that key has most likely already been used. So if there's an online component you'll never be able to use it. And this might happen to you if there's a launcher like Origin involved.
    Fear not the fae, for they are harmless. Anger not the fae, beware their wraith. Harm not the fae, fear the Faerie Knight.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Faerie197 wrote: »
    I feel so special... I apparently was among the first with this issue. Reinstalling the game helped me, but then I bought the game and all my EP through Origin.

And yeah, I would personally never buy a computer game off Ebay. Sure you might get the game disks and account/install key. BUt that key has most likely already been used. So if there's an online component you'll never be able to use it. And this might happen to you if there's a launcher like Origin involved.

I was speaking to @igazor the game problems you were having are not the same as this issue that others are posting. Usually when people have issues with origin and have a legit copy of the game, uninstalling and reinstalling origin, checking and unchecking things and or rebooting your computer fixes the issues. I cant say for sure but you may have gone to extremes by uninstalling and reinstalling your game. Resetting game without having to uninstall etc might have fixed your game.

The problems these people are having is buying an illegitimate ep or eps off ebay or some other unauthorized dealer and having their whole game shut down
  • Options
    Faerie197Faerie197 Posts: 1,077 Member
    AH, but people who bought the game/ep on Ebay are not the only ones having the issue. And I don't really know why I had an issue. For all I know, it could have been a false positive for TOS violation that got fixed by me uninstalling and reinstalling.
    Fear not the fae, for they are harmless. Anger not the fae, beware their wraith. Harm not the fae, fear the Faerie Knight.
  • Options
    Faerie197 wrote: »
    AH, but people who bought the game/ep on Ebay are not the only ones having the issue. And I don't really know why I had an issue. For all I know, it could have been a false positive for TOS violation that got fixed by me uninstalling and reinstalling.

igazor was helping you and he told me whatever your issue was had nothing to do with TOS violation. I did not read the whole thread of your issues.

There are some that have issues with steam codes , they just checked and unchecked some things and their games when back to normal. Like I mentioned before legit copied of the game have no problems being able to recover their game. The people who are buying their games from unauthorized dealers ( ebay or some other source) that are having their accounts blocked
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited May 2017
    This miscommunication is getting out of hand. We aren't talking about players who are seeing the game's EP/SP's uncheck themselves on the Launcher (that's just plain annoying). We are also not talking about EP/SP's that disappear entirely, only to return upon rebooting the computer or uninstalling/reinstalling the Origin client program. And we aren't talking about players who still have their games registered to them showing up as eligible for download/install through Origin.

The subject here is players whose games and/or EP/SPs are removed from their accounts entirely on the EA side and find, upon contacting customer support, that their accounts are flagged and being investigated for Terms of Service (TOS) violations.

I have not see one report from a single player on this forum who has purchased the entire game from EA directly or from authorized resellers and who has faced a TOS investigation or is having their Origin accounts terminated.

We do not own this game. What we were provided with is a license to play it. When that license comes from an unauthorized place like an eBay re-seller, EA has the right to shut its use down at any time. Why today and not last month or last year, whether they may have had a kinder, gentler way to notify players as to what is happening and why, whether players with 19 authorized packs but 1 that might be in question should be offered a quick and painless way to fix that now, are all open to debate, but I'm still not seeing anything improper taking place here. I'm sorry, some players do not want to hear these things, but this is how game purchase and "ownership" works. Or at least how it works here.

The license to play this game is not transferable no matter which method was used to purchase the game. Period.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    dorcsyfuldorcsyful Posts: 851 Member
    So then buying a second-hand copy is a violation of the terms of service?
  • Options
    dorcsyful wrote: »
    So then buying a second-hand copy is a violation of the terms of service?

yes. Especially if it's tied into origin. You can probably get away with buying used discs as long as it comes with the codes. You won't be able to register those disc codes if they were already registered to another account in origin. If you are one of those people who has the base game disc issued before 2012 that does not require origin you can add used discs eps with code and not play with origin. If you dont own that base game that does not require origin anything you buy used won't work
  • Options
    dorcsyfuldorcsyful Posts: 851 Member
    @phoebebebe13 I've never even thought of registering them. But I did mention in the past that I try to stay away from Origin.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    @phoebebebe13 I've never even thought of registering them. But I did mention in the past that I try to stay away from Origin.

I would not worry about discs. This issue is specific to buying codes online though unauthorized dealers . Taking those codes and registering them to origin. EA will now block your account if you try to register unauthorized codes

• Options
    LinamintsLinamints Posts: 952 Member

I would not worry about discs. This issue is specific to buying codes online though unauthorized dealers . Taking those codes and registering them to origin. EA will now block your account if you try to register unauthorized codes

The seller I bought the code from gave me another, but I haven't registered yet because I thought it might just be another invalid code. Does this mean if I register this code and it is invalid I will get auto banned?

I also received this response after I explained my issue and response from EA, I doubt it will offer much help to anyone though:
    You provided the default answer of the support.
    Problem seemed to be deeper and their key vendor manipulated with funds for a long time.
    We are looking into this.
    "Parenting is just like gardening, except if you let your garden die you don't go to prison." - Anna Blast
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited May 2017
    @Linamints - I don't mean to be judgmental here, not everyone on the planet speaks the same language natively or indeed at all. But that message sounds like something Google Translate would come up with when it has a headache. Does anyone know what it means?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    @igazor I took it to mean the manufacturer initiated the charge back or maybe embezzled the money? I am not sure. It is such a small and vague statement it could mean anything or nothing. I asked them to clarify but I haven't heard back yet. I will post if I do though.
    "Parenting is just like gardening, except if you let your garden die you don't go to prison." - Anna Blast
  • Options
    @Linamints I would think all that sellers codes are invalid if he/she is not an authorized dealer for EA. I would contact EA and tell them the sellers response to your original invalid code. EA should have shut down all these people on ebay and other sites that sell unauthorized codes.
  • Options
    I got another reply. This is what I was told by the vendor I contacted:

"EA support made a template story cause the situation affected almost all resellers all over the world. There was a leackage of funds from the key vendor and someone at EA got mad. We have randomly disabled keys in the databases.
    Our suppliers are trying to appeal this.

Have a good day!"
  • Options
    Linamints wrote: »
    I got another reply. This is what I was told by the vendor I contacted:

"EA support made a template story cause the situation affected almost all resellers all over the world. There was a leackage of funds from the key vendor and someone at EA got mad. We have randomly disabled keys in the databases.
    Our suppliers are trying to appeal this.

Have a good day!"

I don't know if he is BS-ing you. I do believe he is an unauthorized dealer however a few people I spoke to who bought from amazon and now Walmart disc purchase got hit. These are authorized codes from authorized vendors to sell EA games.
  • Options
    5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    With the exception of:

Showtime: Collector's Edition
    Katy Perry Sweet Treats (my only SP)

(both bought from Amazon)

All my EP's came from Walmart.

I'm assuming that they were authorized dealers. I'm hoping EA can fix this... I hope.
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!