Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Building apartments

So I just bought City Living the other day when it was 50% off and have started playing a little bit with it. One thing I was wondering is how do you build your own apartment building? I want to build at least one that has multiple floors so there can be more than 4 apartments in the building of its possible. Mainly I just want to have something I can customize a little like adding a something everyone living in the building can use or go to socialize.

Comments

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I'm afraid that building your own apartments is not a feature of this pack (I'd have liked to build midrises and rowhouses, personally). You can customize the interior of any apartment, but not the exterior or public areas. When you have an apartment lot loaded, you do have access to the central neighbourhood area (outdoors) and to any festivals happening there without a loading screen. You can encourage Sims who live in the building to gather in your Sim's apartment (whenever they want) by befriending them and giving them a housekey. You could also use Get Together's Club feature to create clubs of building residents that could gather on another lot or in a resident's home.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    pkboopkboo Posts: 218 Member
    Drats. I was hoping I could make a "fancy" apartment complex like the ones they are building in the real world now a days that have the basic amenities like a gym, club house, pool, park, etc.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    pkboo wrote: »
    Drats. I was hoping I could make a "fancy" apartment complex like the ones they are building in the real world now a days that have the basic amenities like a gym, club house, pool, park, etc.

You aren't alone. Apartments in this game are pretty superficial, and at the end of the day they're nothing more than separate lots surrounded by decoration. There's no specialized, or unique gameplay that's came from the way they were built.

I would have preferred multi-household apartment complexes that could be created from scratch in any world, but Maxis apparently didn't see any appeal or value to that kind of versatility. Probably why their game suffers from so many complaints.
  • Options
    hopefully if enough people complain they will eventually do a patch for it like they did for toddlers
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited March 2017
    hopefully if enough people complain they will eventually do a patch for it like they did for toddlers

I think the fundamental nature of how they did apartments means that that wouldn't happen: the apartment shell is basically neighbourhood terrain. (It just doesn't say "terrain" when we look at it.) The alternative would have probably been either breaking all our existing households (when now multiple households could live on a lot - I'm not sure how this works, but a SimGuru statement in the Simulation Tech thread indicated that it would be a consequence) or having only one household per apartment building again like in Sims 3. Sims 2 had a whole different tech setup that someone explained for apartments which were also limited; I believe that's also in the Simulation Tech thread. (I love that thread.) So pretty much, they had to pick one limitation or another. I doubt anyone is 100% happy with the result - most of us are ultimately #TeamAllTheThings.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    WiggleyTuffWiggleyTuff Posts: 600 Member
    @pkboo it wasn't complain that's the reason for why they added toddler, they had been working on it since it came out but they couldn't/wouldn't release it with the game when sims 4 came out. So I have no faith in complaining about the apartments will result in anything unless they release it in another gaming pack with the technique needed for it
  • Options

Doubtful. They worked pretty hard to downplay criticism against them. So far no feature from a DLC has been expanded in a free patch, so I doubt that apartments will ever be expanded in that way. Could I see them charging players a second time for apartments? Yeah, yeah I can.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited March 2017
    Yeah, I hate the limitation and I avoid CL because it is too limiting as far as layout and building. Sad that a modern game can't best a feature put out by older iterations Imho. The traits for a building to me is an distraction to keep most from seeing the limitation and the traits are limited to the city and can't be used in other neighborhoods so you must move your family to the city to get such features.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member

For that you need Sims2.

• Options
    SylvanGlad3SylvanGlad3 Posts: 6 New Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Yeah, I hate the limitation and I avoid CL because it is too limiting as far as layout and building. Sad that a modern game can't best a feature put out by older iterations Imho. The traits for a building to me is an distraction to keep most from seeing the limitation and the traits are limited to the city and can't be used in other neighborhoods so you must move your family to the city to get such features.

You can add traits to lots outside the city, though.
  • Options
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

You can add traits to lots outside the city, though.
    I stand corrected on the trait part and it is nice but to me the game is still limited when it comes to building apts outside of CL or using any tools to edit the neighborhoods or lots sizes and where you want to put them.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Samsonguy9000Samsonguy9000 Posts: 755 Member
    The point of apartments is to experience the limitations that they provide, and thus deal with those challenges as you progress your sim.
    Honestly using the reason that you can't do everything with apartments that you can with houses as your only excuse to not use City Living is a bit on the lame and spoiled side.
    If you don't like being limited with building, that's fine. But there is a lot more to City Living than just that. There is even a house lot in San Myshuno and multiple penthouse apartment lots that do give you more flexibility. I turned one penthouse lot into a spa&gym lot that looks rather fantastic for its location.
    Not every expansion pack is for everyone. The same goes with the other packs. I am never going to get the Kids Stuff pack as it doesn't tickle my fancy.
    I love City Living. The apartments give a new perspective on the game, and the weekly fair events are fun to visit, and even watch from the apartment.
  • Options
    The point of apartments is to experience the limitations that they provide, and thus deal with those challenges as you progress your sim.
    Honestly using the reason that you can't do everything with apartments that you can with houses as your only excuse to not use City Living is a bit on the lame and spoiled side.
    If you don't like being limited with building, that's fine. But there is a lot more to City Living than just that. There is even a house lot in San Myshuno and multiple penthouse apartment lots that do give you more flexibility. I turned one penthouse lot into a spa&gym lot that looks rather fantastic for its location.
    Not every expansion pack is for everyone. The same goes with the other packs. I am never going to get the Kids Stuff pack as it doesn't tickle my fancy.
    I love City Living. The apartments give a new perspective on the game, and the weekly fair events are fun to visit, and even watch from the apartment.

Previous games allowed players to build their own apartments whenever they wanted. The ones in Sims 4 did not gain any exclusive gameplay for being restrictive, nor does restricting them do anything beyond limit how the player can use them. There's no obstacles, they didn't design them as a way to challenge players, obviously. They were made the way they were because it's clearly easier for the development team to toss some decoration around a tiny lot and call it an apartment versus expanding build mode and creating a fully functional lot type for apartments that the player could utilize. That's the difference here. These things were at no point taken seriously, they concerned themselves way too much with the aesthetics of the world that they ignored expanding the actual game.

Theres plenty of reasons for people to not like CL - checkout the 'why does everyone hate City Living' thread, there's quite a few people in there that make a compelling argument for why the EP disappointed them. You are in no position to make judgements about that, especially if you think it's lazy and spoiled that I expect substance with my purchase. Something you don't find from fake backdrops and locked apartment lots.
  • Options
    taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    Would've been nice to build our own. The devs could have at least allowed us to renovate the apartment hallways since most of them look terrible. Or just build within the entire level...
  • Options
    If their point was to "restrict" things on apartment lots fine but at the same time at least allow us to create our own but put out there what is or isnt allowed on apartment lots so we can plan accordingly. For the most part I like CL its just the apartment lots are a little lackluster and its annoying when going to one of the fairs that the apartment lots are 4+ floors above the ground level where the fairs are so its a pain to orient my screen correctly to be able to see the thing properly.

For that you need Sims2.

We shouldnt have to play one of the games just to some of the features we want to use.
  • Options
    cboggs12cboggs12 Posts: 1 New Member
    Honestly they are backtracking with The Sims. They are obviously not listening to what the players want. They removed the open world concept because I guess it was too much to load at one time but they didn’t even give us the choice to place empty lots. I’ve played since the sims 2 and by far this is the most restricted sims game I’ve played. It’s quite ridiculous for they money they’re making off of us. The Sims 2 may not have been open world but it still had cars and you could place extra empty lots accommodating to the size you need for placing a new house. And now we can’t even make our own apartments or restructure the ones we have now. We basically paid $40 for an EP that gave us a new world and some festivals. The apartments aren’t even fun when you get to the point where you have to keep reusing the ones you’ve already lived in.
  • Options
    SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 963 Member
    I miss making high-rises. The Sims 2 was so much better then The Sims 4, 🐸🐸🐸🐸 it's sad. :(
    giphy.gif

Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
    Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3

• Options
    I miss making high-rises. The Sims 2 was so much better then The Sims 4, plum it's sad. :(

Yeah it is and one of the reasons CL falls into my list of packs I prefer not to play because w/o building my creativity is very limited and unlike houses where you can expand, you can't with apartments and no matter how you change the little things it still the same apt or penthouses and with no way to build Apts or Penthouses in other neighborhoods or make your own city, it is frustrating. However, I am glad there still Sims 2 and Sims 3 and when I hear "Someone say go play them then!" I think that makes Sims 4 less attractive and still not in an good light for it points out the shortcomings of the game.
  • Options
    EA_LannaEA_Lanna Posts: 3,867 EA Community Manager
    Please be mindful of necroing threads. For more on the rule check out the "Necroposting" thread.
    • New Simmers, take a moment to read through this thread.
    • The Help Center is hosted on Answers HQ. Check out EA_Mage's thread on why.
    • Please post all Sims 4 Bug Reports, Technical and Gameplay issues in the AHQ Sims 4 Section.
    • Here is a quick link to The Sims forum rules
    oa2aib6yaucg.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top