Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why aren't sim step-parents and aunts/uncles by marriage labeled as relatives?

Was looking through my past threads and noticed that I'd asked why step-family members and aunts/uncles by marriage weren't labeled as relatives back when TS4 first came out. Years later, the Sims 4 team hasn't done anything to change that. My gameplay is heavily family-centric, so it tends to get annoying.

Tbh, I'm no expert on this stuff, so what're some of your thoughts on it?
ts4pic115_zpsddd39563.jpg

Comments

• Options
    KiaraSims4ModsKiaraSims4Mods Posts: 2,782 Member
    I have complained about this time after time. Has a guru explained why family is now limited as opposed to TS3 in the relationship panel? Can we ask?
  • Options
    TehCookieKidTehCookieKid Posts: 110 Member
    I have complained about this time after time. Has a guru explained why family is now limited as opposed to TS3 in the relationship panel? Can we ask?

As far as I know, no one's said anything about the reason why. I've brought it up in a feedback thread one of the gurus has going sometime last year, but didn't get any response. I'm really hoping that they'll do something about it in a later update. Or at least tell us why they haven't.
    ts4pic115_zpsddd39563.jpg
  • Options
    KiaraSims4ModsKiaraSims4Mods Posts: 2,782 Member
    They def. need to say something. It's so annoying when you don't see your step kids listed as step's in the relationship panel? It should be something really simple to add. @TehCookieKid
  • Options
    surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member
    It should be added to the relationship panel, I'm pretty sure it's listed in the family tree, so no other reason not to include it in the relationship panel other than........ Laziness?
    Yea, I'll go with laziness, it's been years, I've commented on threads about this before too, and it hasn't changed. And it's frustrating, because it should be simple.
  • Options
    YellebYelleb Posts: 156 Member
    Yeah, I just found that out the other day. It was my first time marrying a townie who already had a kid, and it made me a bit sad when I noticed that the kid didn't recognize his step-mother as a part of his family.

I mean, I'm not super upset about it, but I kind of just wish it was a thing, you know?
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I think considering that I real life blended families are very common it would be nice to see this relationship reflected in the game. It bothers me that it's not. The same way it bothers me that grandparents have to "introduce themselves" to their grand children. Dittos aunts and uncles. Weirder stories right there!
  • Options
    lulubadwolflulubadwolf Posts: 630 Member
    It's annoying, really. My sims, remarried after the death of her wife (they had a toddler together), her new wife is labeled has "friend" in the relationship panel of the toddler and when she gave birth to the new baby, he is labeled has brother. I would have prefer "half brother", might not be important, but i like this kind of precision.
  • Options
    MrsTomato1018MrsTomato1018 Posts: 400 Member
    A couple of years ago, I had a family where the parents had gotten divorced and remarried, and the step-parent started to flirt with their teenage step-child because the game didn't recognize them as a parent figure at all! Ick, ick ick! After that, I haven't bothered to remarry any of my sims because outside of the spousal relationship, the game wasn't recognizing the other family members, so what's the point? I had hoped that this had been fixed by now. We had it in TS3, so why not in TS4, especially after the game has been out for 2.5 years!
    Check out my YouTube channel!
    You can find me on the gallery at MrsTomato1018!
    You can find me on Twitter @MrsTomato1018!
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Was looking through my past threads and noticed that I'd asked why step-family members and aunts/uncles by marriage weren't labeled as relatives back when TS4 first came out. Years later, the Sims 4 team hasn't done anything to change that. My gameplay is heavily family-centric, so it tends to get annoying.

Tbh, I'm no expert on this stuff, so what're some of your thoughts on it?

I wish they were but TS3 is the only game that ever did this.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    lunaodditylunaoddity Posts: 632 Member
    Addressing steps/extended family in the relationship panel is one of my main wishes as well. In my main save I have several stepparents who raised their step-children to YA/Adulthood (during the dark ages without toddlers lol).

Last year, in another save, I moved in a widowed elder with his son's family. The elder sim, who had seen the couple grow from adolescence, had the whim to flirt with his daughter-in-law for being "near a friendly relationship". Just no.
  • Options
    MINEZMINEZ Posts: 793 Member
    I do miss that being automatic. It would certainly save some award situations
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Yes true, i need more family ties.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    edited April 2017
    I noticed in one of my stories where I had a sim who divorced her husband because she was cheating, had a kid with the guy she cheated with, then remarried her exhusband and in the family tree he (The exhusband now husband again) was seen as his (her son out of wedlock's) step-dad, however there is no preexisting status you can put in CAS they are simply roommates. I feel like there needs to be more family ties. Maybe there will be a generation pack that will fix it all. Since the Gurus never specified it as being something that cannot be done, I still believe that it is either in the works or something that can be done but not worked on yet.

Another unrelated thing that bugs me is no BIO area for them.... I want to write a back story ti each sim but can lol
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    I have to agree with the OP here. This omsission is baffling to me.
    Not only should there be a relationship tag for all first generation relatives, there should never be an instance where first family relationships fall below the acquaintance level.
    In the case of second generation family at least fix it so a child doesn't have to introduce themselves to their Granparents.

I get what you mean... to give the benefit of the doubt I guess they want to see it as being more realistic in a sense. For example, my oldest met his grandfathers (my dad and my husbands dad) and one grandmother (my husbands mom) once and was around them briefly before we moved out of state was was a year old at the time and only knows of them through phone contact (Mainly my dad) he has never met my mom. My second child has never met any of his grand parents. In a realistic sense I guess thats why they have relationships made this way... idk
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    RudiaroseRudiarose Posts: 891 Member
    Because they like to cut corners same thing with only having I think up to ten gens or so of a tree is it ten lines of tree. Not sure but yea..I have even used edit town to change sims names to reflect who they are related too and how.
  • Options
    Nomiko13Nomiko13 Posts: 1,497 Member
    Yes. All of this. My Sim had a one night standand got preggo and just married Arun Bheeda, who has a child and ex-wife! I can only adopt the toddler as a care dependent for my adult female and she's not baby Bheeda's step mom. The only thing that's automatic is half siblings (half-brother, half-sister).
    ▼add/follow▼
    ●【youtube】【 sims 3 page】【gallery】●

mario_10.jpg
    ●|| free items | daily deals | cascades |thank you ||●
    ▲still waiting on sims 4 generations▲
    ▶owner of the store since 9/21/2017◀
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I really hope these things are fixed with the family gamepack.
  • Options
    NotLoudonWainwrightNotLoudonWainwright Posts: 863 Member
    I don't think step-parents should show up in family trees. They aren't real family members and only blood relatives should be in family trees.
  • Options
    alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    Because, the game isn't a game... It's an app.
    p6tqefj
  • Options
    pixiejuicepixiejuice Posts: 711 Member
    I want in-laws to be family, too. I'm sick of all my grandpas ruining family holidays by flirting with their sons' wives. :\
  • Options
    LoveMeHateMeLoveMeHateMe Posts: 40 Member
    This is something that needs patched in ASAP. Well, it should have already been addressed before now. Keep hoping it happens in a not-so-distant future patch.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Yes please!

I don't allow my sims that get a second partner to have children if they already have a child with an earlier partner just because of this. Very irritating.
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    Yes, I really hope this is on the developers radars as this has been a problem since TS4 came out. The family tree reflects step-parents, step-siblings, however, these relationships aren't recognized in the relationship panel or the game. I find it extremely annoying that step-parents can automatically flirt with their step-kids. If it's in the family tree, than the relationship should be recognized in game & in the the relationship panel. Same with half-siblings.

I hate to go back to a previous version of The Sims, but in TS2, it didn't list step-parents in the tree. However, there was the 'family kiss', so the step-relationship was recognized in-game as a 'family' relationship. Step-parents couldn't flirt with their step kids.

It would be nice to see the relationship recognized in-game as it's listed in the family tree or as a family relationship. I just want the problem fixed so my step-parents stop flirting with their step-kids.