Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Generic Lots are Still Ghost Towns

Comments

• Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    ts1depot wrote: »
    Just a reminder: if there are posters who have a history of disrupting threads via hijacking, derailing, baiting, gaslighting, etc, you can always put them on mute. Just click on the profile, look for the button marked "ignore." I know it feels good to stand up to them and everything but your words are not only falling on deaf ears, it's like waving a red flag in front of a bull. They just see your words as an invitation to be even more disruptive.

It doesn't work very well, I have one of these posters on ignore and I can still see their comments through the quotes anyway. Not much point to it if you ask me.

--T
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @To7m You have me on ignore but I thought we got along now? :(
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options

Did I say it was you?

--T
  • Options
    To7m wrote: »

Did I say it was you?

--T

I sent you a PM seeing how you where and it said I am on ignore :no_mouth:

I actually enjoy your posts on the forums though
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options

Did I say it was you?

--T

Ha! Busted. Well, thanks I guess, but I cannot say the same. Sorry :(

--T

• Options

Did I say it was you?

--T

Ha! Busted. Well, thanks I guess, but I cannot say the same. Sorry :(

--T

I thought that we were cool? :(

:disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    KiaraSims4ModsKiaraSims4Mods Posts: 2,782 Member
    The lots are either empty or people just show up as soon as my sim gets there. But the other problem is it's the SAME PEOPLE.

lol
  • Options
    MendotaMendota Posts: 794 Member
    jusMeh wrote: »
    Huh? I thought only the Sims 3 had 'horrible ghost towns.' Interesting.

It is only an issue with the Generic lot type. I tend to use that lot to create Hotels and inns. I then hire a bartender or barista for those objects as the inn keeper. It works out well, but I too would like a toggle to decide if I want the lot to have visitors or not. And as has been stated, your constant harping on Sims 4 is more than a little old. Is Sims 4 stopping you from playing Sims 3? No. Then what is the problem? Do you want those of us playing Sims 4 and enjoying it to stop and force ourselves to play Sims 3 because that is what you like? Doesn't really make a lot of sense.

• Options
    starcrunchstarcrunch Posts: 672 Member
    Generic lots have always functioned this way in Sims 4, and it's clearly not a bug. Nor do I think it can be legitimately seen as having much to do with sims 3 or promises - I can't see that anything to do with generic lots has ever been promised. The current implementation fills a niche that would no longer be served if they worked as proposed so I don't think it makes sense to change this. A choice got made, and this is the way it is and has been.

I'd wholly endorse getting a new category that was similar and spawned sims - think it'd be really cool and probably more useful to me, but I'd say the empty version is more unique from a functional standpoint and taking away a current capacity probably won't make those that use it for what it is now happy.
    OriginID: CrunchedStars
  • Options
    TriX0099TriX0099 Posts: 850 Member
    OP: I agree with you about generic lots. I tried making my own cinema with Movie Hangout Stuff by building a generic community lot with snacks, a bar and fun activities. I ended up needing to label it a "lounge" in order to get people to show up. I haven't visited that lot lately but when I did, it was weird. Only a few elderly men showed up and were hanging around in a creepy way. I guess that's why I haven't gone there much.

I still have my small cemetary listed as a generic lot because I don't want to add bathrooms and a hotdog grill to a cemetary. Lol. Whenever I am in a neighboring lot and I click on a generic lot, the travel icon says something like, "Travel to the Isolated Venue." Erm, that kind of works for a cemetary but NOT for a movie theatre complex.

I agree with you that it limits flexibility.

Not that I have tried it for a movie theater, but I use all-in-one community lots in all my towns, so I know a bit about what to use to "push" NPCs to do what I want them to, and I was wondering if you've tried the "bar" venue for your movie theater? The bar pushes NPCs to watch TV, and it spawns sims of all ages instead of mostly elderly, as with the lounge. Lounge is better for getting more visitors earlier in the day, but I'd still expect the bar to work way better than a lounge.
  • Options
    PancakesandwichPancakesandwich Posts: 2,038 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    I wonder if the intent for generic lots was so that people could have a place outside of their Sims home where they could have private weddings or birthday parties or what have you, without being interrupted by townies. But personally, I would prefer it to be a little more flexible, where we could have it act like a regular public lot. Are there any lot traits that could help with this? Maybe they could patch one in, or release on in the future.

If that was the case, the description wouldn't say "Visitors are allowed" though. Unless the German translation (where I took this from) is wrong and the English one actually says "Visitors are NOT allowed".

Nope, the English definitely says "Visitors are allowed". I've checked.
    @SimsLovinLycan Okay, then it's definitely a bug.
    OP: I agree with you about generic lots. I tried making my own cinema with Movie Hangout Stuff by building a generic community lot with snacks, a bar and fun activities. I ended up needing to label it a "lounge" in order to get people to show up. I haven't visited that lot lately but when I did, it was weird. Only a few elderly men showed up and were hanging around in a creepy way. I guess that's why I haven't gone there much.
    @ChampandGirlie It seems like all "lounge" lots are attraction points for elders, so try making it a "bar" instead. That should send more young adults and just the occasional adult in there.
  • Options
    FKM100FKM100 Posts: 886 Member
    edited March 2017
    I designated my cinema lot a bar and then made a cinema club of sims whose main activity is watching TV. That way I do have some sims sitting and watching movies, so it's okay -- not great, but okay. Without the club, though, the sims just treated it like a bar (which is hardly surprising) and hung around the bar counter.

That said, I would love the ability to make customised venues - whether using generic lots, or some other newly-created type of lot. By this I mean the ability to set the type of sims that would be attracted to the lot (we can already set eligibility criteria for clubs, so why not for venues as well?), the dress code (which we can already do for restaurants) and the kinds of activities that sims would want to perform on the lot (which we can already do, to some extent, with the new lot traits feature). It would be great if all these features could be brought together.
  • Options
    ZaszZasz Posts: 806 Member
    With vampires this is now an even bigger issue.
    Vampires at night have trouble finding non-vampire pedestrians and others usually sleep at night. During the day young vampires have trouble drinking because hardly anyone is outside to drink from. And if one is outside, they sometimes cant be interacted with because they are on their way off the grid.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2017
    Gullveig wrote: »
    Ninoochat wrote: »
    I think that this is a shame as 'busier community lots' was one thing that was 'promised' to the players because 'community lots are so empty in TS3!' yet in TS3 I have seen busy community lots with my own eyes :open_mouth:

This is getting ridiculous guys. Don't you have better things to do than jump on ts4 threads to boast about ts3? You're completely off topic, not helping, even trying to start an argument. It's getting old, feels like 2010 all over again when ts2 people could not stop criticizing ts3.

On topic. I think generic lots were made so that you can pretend to own another lot for your family, like a personal museum or a secondary house (maybe a fancy vacation house on the island of Windenburg!), so that no one can intrude in your property. I like to use it on cemetery, those places aren't usually full of people.

You can create any type of lot and just hide the required items in a closed off basement, just pick any lot type close enough to what you're creating!

I thought I'm the only one who think Sims 3 fanatics are getting a little too annoying to deal with.

Then, to OP, are you sure? In my game, I always have problem with crowd. Even if it is a generic lot, I always seem to have people coming especially the clubbers.
    Ya, the fanatics are very annoying indeed. The point is, what the 'fanatics' are adressing here, is a many times repeated claim about Sims 3 (ghost towns, empty lots) to justify the sacrifices that were made for Sims 4 (a claim in fact presented at many occasions when it wasn't even slightly the subject at all). Forgive us for being too annoying to deal with, but it's a direct reaction to arguments used by other 'fanatics'. That, like it or not, is feedback related to the subject of this topic. What people somehow fail to understand, is that we are not adressing you. We're adressing the creators. Wut devs? Ghost towns..? How's that possible when you sold us all those limitations by claiming there wouldn't be 'horrible lag' and 'ghost towns' this time around!?

I can see how your contribution is way more constructive. Hi OP, I don't have what you have in my game. Are you sure? Good day. Really helpful.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Gullveig wrote: »
    Ninoochat wrote: »
    I think that this is a shame as 'busier community lots' was one thing that was 'promised' to the players because 'community lots are so empty in TS3!' yet in TS3 I have seen busy community lots with my own eyes :open_mouth:

This is getting ridiculous guys. Don't you have better things to do than jump on ts4 threads to boast about ts3? You're completely off topic, not helping, even trying to start an argument. It's getting old, feels like 2010 all over again when ts2 people could not stop criticizing ts3.

On topic. I think generic lots were made so that you can pretend to own another lot for your family, like a personal museum or a secondary house (maybe a fancy vacation house on the island of Windenburg!), so that no one can intrude in your property. I like to use it on cemetery, those places aren't usually full of people.

You can create any type of lot and just hide the required items in a closed off basement, just pick any lot type close enough to what you're creating!

I thought I'm the only one who think Sims 3 fanatics are getting a little too annoying to deal with.

Then, to OP, are you sure? In my game, I always have problem with crowd. Even if it is a generic lot, I always seem to have people coming especially the clubbers.
    Ya, the fanatics are very annoying indeed. The point is, what the 'fanatics' are adressing here, is a many times repeated claim about Sims 3 (ghost towns, empty lots) to justify the sacrifices that were made for Sims 4 (a claim in fact presented at many occasions when it wasn't even slightly the subject at all). Forgive us for being too annoying to deal with, but it's a direct reaction to arguments used by other 'fanatics'. That, like it or not, is feedback related to the subject of this topic. What people somehow fail to understand, is that we are not adressing you. We're adressing the creators. Wut devs? Ghost towns..? How's that possible when you sold us all those limitations by claiming there wouldn't be 'horrible lag' and 'ghost towns' this time around!?

I can see how your contribution is way more constructive. Hi OP, I don't have what you have in my game. Are you sure? Good day. Really helpful.

I am curious to know who these TS3 fanatics are as well? The ones who actually enjoy their games and are tired of the institutional bullying that we face on the forums every single day?

What about last week when we saw the thread asking for our creative corner closed? What about the occasion someone comes into the TS3 GD and tries to troll? It doesn't happen often but it has happened before and then there are those disappointed players expressing feedback who then get lumbered with the controversial 'hater' tag and see their own threads vanish off of the forums.

:disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    This thread is not about community lots being ghost towns... it's about one lot type (labeled Generic) where sims don't show up. This has nothing to do with lag or the limitations of the game; it's how this one specific lot type was defined by the devs. For other lots (nearly all the other community lots in the game), they are not ghost towns and plenty of sims do show up.

If one reads the thread carefully they will see it isn't a complaint about the game engine or performance like the S3 fans are assuming.
  • Options
    Pegasys wrote: »
    This thread is not about community lots being ghost towns... it's about one lot type (labeled Generic) where sims don't show up. This has nothing to do with lag or the limitations of the game; it's how this one specific lot type was defined by the devs. For other lots (nearly all the other community lots in the game), they are not ghost towns and plenty of sims do show up.

If one reads the thread carefully they will see it isn't a complaint about the game engine or performance like the S3 fans are assuming.

And what makes you assume that we were assuming that it was a complaint thread?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member

And what makes you assume that we were assuming that it was a complaint thread?

Not getting dragged into this. This thread has nothing to do with TS3.
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member
    edited March 2017
    I wonder if this lot type could be used to build a venue for hosting private events? Birthday parties, baby showers, weddings. Where only invited guests show up.
  • Options
    PancakesandwichPancakesandwich Posts: 2,038 Member

@SimGuruGraham But the Generic lot description says "open for visitors", so I guess the description is wrong?
  • Options
    SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member
    edited March 2017
    I used to love the community visitors allowed lots in Sims 3 where sims would use pretty much any objects you added to a lot (except cookers unfortunately) and that allowed total creative freedom to build whatever your heart desired. Not so in Sims 4 where there are so many limitations it's ridiculous. I've tried ruling my game, and my sims - neither works.
  • Options
    Tanja1986Tanja1986 Posts: 1,237 Member
    edited March 2017
    Thanks to @rosemow I found this thread and so I thought I rather post my question here as well!

Last evening I gathered my science club at a generic lot with science objects on it. When I ended the gathering the place was suddenly flooded with townies. Is this new? I never, ever saw other Sims on generic lots. Also the outside areas like picnic tables are suddenly filled. Did anything in that regard change?
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

It's not really relevant why sims don't show up is it? They don't apparently. And there may very well be a good and acceptable explanation, but my post adressed the agressive tone towards simmers (fanatics, too annoying to deal with) who are merely expressing their surprise when seeing the term 'ghost towns' mentioned in relation to Sims 4. So I wasn't questioning whether it's comparable or not, I was questioning that attitude.
    5JZ57S6.png