Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The forums

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    Just keep your chin up. There are a lot of trolls around here. Don't let them bother you.
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    ikiamyetta wrote: »
    Triplis wrote: »
    Maybe I'm just more distracted lately, but it seems to have been pretty chill of late, overall.

Its been mostly great @Triplis but there have been times, more and more frequently, that I'm just scrolling through, enjoying a tread and it starts. It hasnt been nearly as bad as it was but its like, sheesh, give me a break. People constantly derailing post and trying to start spats.
    Aw, that's no good. :(

All can say is: More than anything else, people need to remember to respect each other. We can disagree without disrespect; it's a cornerstone of any lasting relationship.

It's really hard sometimes to play nice, but no matter how vehemently opposed you are to what somebody says, it's supposed to be their words, beliefs, or actions you're against, not them as a person. As soon as you forget that they as a person matters the same as you, things start going downhill.

And when I say "you," I just mean general you, anybody.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    ts1depotts1depot Posts: 1,438 Member
    edited February 2017
    ikiamyetta wrote: »
    I've generally loved the mood around here since toddlers dropped but you still have people who post on threads without adding anything of value or those who try to beat you down with their arguments. What can we do to make those users happy so they stop with the nonsense?

There's nothing we can do, unfortunately. On almost every single gaming forum I've been on, there have always been a core group of chronic gripers who practically camp out on the boards all day every day just gnashing their teeth and bashing the game day over and over and over again. The reason why they do that is that they're on some demented crusade to convert more people into hating the game. So the only thing that will make them happy is to see everyone in the forum hate the game as much as they do. They're literally like the jilted lover who's so filled with bitterness and hatred for the former girlfriend or boyfriend that they try to turn everyone that he or she knows against them.

This type of problem can get so out of hand on some forums that some gripers have successfully driven out all the regular players and taken over. There was one MMO I used to play, and if you go to its official Steam page, the only people posting regularly are the two gripers and their sycophants who are always agreeing with them about how much the game sucks and should be canceled. The only reason why they're still posting is to wait for a new player to post enthusiastically about the game so they can turn around and tell him how "stupid" he is and how he's wasting his time and money. And as insane as it sounds, they've been at it for a solid three years years, if not more. Yup, three years of posting day in and day out "This game needs to die/yes I play it, more than 100 hours a week/but so what it still sucks/that's why I haven't paid a dime for it in the five years since it launched and anyone who plays it is an idiot mindless whale fanboy shill on the payroll."

Thankfully, it's never gotten to that point with the TS4 forums but we came very close with the TS3 forums, with the huge clique of posters always threatening boycotts, complaining about how they were getting ripped off and calling fans EA shills. I understand your frustration, OP, but trust me--things could be way, way worse.

EiFlric.png
  • Options
    TrowiciaTrowicia Posts: 2,027 Member
    Ignore them and keep moving forward. Salty babies will be salty babies. If they continue to be disruptive to your topic, report it and block them.
    // take me back to 2018.
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    edited February 2017
    I see this was moved to a different category. Guess this is 'feedback'.
  • Options
    TrowiciaTrowicia Posts: 2,027 Member
    It's definitely not feedback at all, but who am I to say what is and isn't considered feedback. The forum mods know best, I suppose.
    // take me back to 2018.
  • Options
    Bambii33000Bambii33000 Posts: 20 Member
    You should make a guide on how to use forums.thesims.com cuz how do you make a discussion? How do you change your profile pic? How do you view your post in the thread from your profile? If you put something in the activity box on your profile where does it go? Who gets to see it? And when it moves to the space in your profile what happens when you press clear? I'm pretty sure i posted a question in my activity box and somewhere else but i dont remember where that somewhere else is. Someone responded to it but i can't go to where i posted it. I can only view it on my profile. There are too many ambiguous features to this site. I also think we should be able to post pictures from our gallery instead of making a URL
  • Options
    Also, is there way to respond to someone without quoting them?
  • Options
    One more thing, there should be a way to edit your comments after you post them. (unless i'm just missing it) If there was a way to edit i wouldn't have had to make three posts
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited February 2017
    I've been on other forums but I haven't been on a gaming forum before. I randomly ended up on this board because I have some gamer friends who are way more into gaming than I am. I do like to hang out with them from time to time but I always considered myself to not really be a gamer. I did love playing Sims, Civilization and a few other mostly historical simulation/god games - ancient Egypt, ancient Rome, etc. I played The Sims off and on for years but took a break for a while.

Anyway, I was gifted a nice gaming laptop last year and I started up base game Sims 3 again. I then got Sims 4 on a whim. My point in this is that I'd gotten back into it for a few months and then I was talking with my gamer friends about it who said, "You're playing Sims 4? Awesome!" One of them told me that she has almost every expansion. Anyway, it'll sound weird but that was when I realized this wasn't just some side habit of mine and other people love this game too. I looked up these forums also on a whim and I was surprised to see how many people have been playing this game over the years and referencing old versions that I remember like TS1 and TS2.

So I'm not very experienced with gaming forums or culture but it kind of shocks me that some people get so deeply worked up about the game. I understand giving feedback and expressing fondness or disappointment. I totally understand preferring one version of the game over another. I just don't understand getting so deeply worked up over it. I'm enjoying the game and if I wasn't then I wouldn't play it. I bought base game 4 not expecting much and was pleasantly surprised and have gotten a few more packs for it. I'll probably keep doing so as long as I am enjoying it.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    The forums are not as bad as they used to be but they are still very much like any other forum. You will get a different variety of opinions so not everyone is going to agree with everything that anyone says. It would even be like that on the most genuine and relaxed forum on the I ternet, if there is ever one

This is the reason they are still around, best not let it bother you.
    I mean the toddler crowd was just as annoying so everyone won't be agreeing all the time.

Nothing wrong with the 'toddler crowd' as you call them. Sure a few threads got out of hand quickly and some p,ayers used the lack of toddlers to start a flame war but you cannot tar everyone who p,says with toddlers with the same brush
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    GageaGagea Posts: 1,275 Member
    You should make a guide on how to use forums.thesims.com cuz how do you make a discussion? How do you change your profile pic? How do you view your post in the thread from your profile? If you put something in the activity box on your profile where does it go? Who gets to see it? And when it moves to the space in your profile what happens when you press clear? I'm pretty sure i posted a question in my activity box and somewhere else but i dont remember where that somewhere else is. Someone responded to it but i can't go to where i posted it. I can only view it on my profile. There are too many ambiguous features to this site. I also think we should be able to post pictures from our gallery instead of making a URL

Forum tutorial: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/811263/a-complete-forum-tutorial/p1
    This thread should help you to understand how the member system works: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/770609/member-or-new-member-everything-you-need-to-know
  • Options
    LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,828 Member
    @Trowicia @catmando830 another thing that drives me nuts
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,286 Member
    edited February 2017
    @Bambii33000,
    Also, is there way to respond to someone without quoting them?
    All you need to do is to put this @ in front of someone's name just like I just did for your name when responding to your question... :)

One more thing, there should be a way to edit your comments after you post them. (unless i'm just missing it) If there was a way to edit i wouldn't have had to make three posts
    New members are unable to edit their posts until they become full members... :)
  • Options
    Please close this thread @Moderator_Mergi
  • Options
    LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    edited February 2017

For me, it's easier to just close the browser, or switch web pages, than worry about others that don't agree, (or endlessly argue against differing opinions)...
    Why would I even want to waste my time worrying about it so much? Not worth the headache... :D
    Post edited by LatteCrab on
  • Options
    Savage_Patch_KiddSavage_Patch_Kidd Posts: 2,937 Member
    I like to think of this place like it's a little town. Very colorful & rowdy neighbours :wink:
    tumblr_oy1xa2eHV31uvsi7jo2_1280.gif
  • Options
    Please close this thread @SimStaffBethelle